Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Slow News Day posted:

You're generally expected to take reasonable precautions against accidents and damage when you go on strike, yes. If you don't, you might be held liable for damages. As others have noted, the allegation here is that the union did the exact opposite: they specifically timed the strike to begin immediately after the concrete was mixed, i.e. the damage was intentional. And their defense that they let management know that they were going to strike, and management refused to schedule the mixing for another date, was found insufficient (because the employees still had the choice to not start the mix and decided to go with it).

Your analogy isn't a good one. A better one would be this: you are a factory worker and you initiate a process involving flammable materials right before walking off the job for a previously scheduled strike, knowing that the most likely result is that the material will combust if left unattended and cause the building to burn down, and it does. Opinions on whether you're cool and awesome for doing something like that may differ, but in terms of tort law it will be a clear cut case.

Now, if one is truly cynical like I am, they might think "hmm, the employer probably refused to schedule the concrete mixing for another day specifically so that the equipment would break down after the strike began and they would have a case against the union" and I think that's quite credible. The problem is, as far as I can tell, there was no evidence for that.

sort of, it wasn't going to burn down in the metaphor. rather the flammable materials were held in a steady state and the chemical reaction could be stopped at any time with the materials being wasted. There was no danger of a fire but the continuous running would render them inert and ruin the machine eventually. They left them in the running state to preserve the machinery but didn't fully inform management about the state of the running machines on leaving (if I'm interpreting the news correctly since intent is a lot of it, it looks like).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

cat botherer posted:

I almost got this one job about a month ago. I was in the top 3 of ~400 applications and got pretty far through the interview process. A few days after I got rejected, I saw it posted again. Just gotta go through thousands of candidates to find that absolutely perfect unicorn. And then there's the ones like on HN, where they never have any intention of hiring anyone but want to look like they're in growth mode.

that's 100% what it is. every month, 90% of the companies on there are the exact same places that were posting the exact same roles six months ago. i think the hn crowd has taken notice though

really need some spirit energy that one particular opportunity comes through with an offer, but it sucks to have to continue to apply (and never hear back) because you have no guarantees of anything

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Xaris posted:

yeah it's gotten quite bad. I've been a reddit defender in the past as sort of a neo-Usenet (which had a lot of useful information like rock hunting sites, ghost towns, routes, along with shitposts and flamewars) over the past 15 years, but the past 4 years have been a stark collapse. shittification of the internet but even actual content is draining away. i'd say these are just echos of a subsiding superstructure and declining society writ large though, nothing particular about the site.

I'm sure a huge reason why this is, is because a ton of content is locked away in private discords now. Anything public without a pay wall is a bot paradise.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Xaris posted:

while the updoot system is quite bad, very bad even, i never really found it that detrimental. i'd say i used to have good success with smaller niche local/hobby/whatever subs but they are definitely just selfie spam or w/e junk now.

it also doesnt help they've now killed off 3rd party search and the 1st party search is loving terrible.

I can see how the downvoting problem depends on the subreddit.

There's a soccer player named Ivan Toney who recently got in trouble for gambling and received a playing ban. Some people were commenting in the Soccer subreddit about how Toney would still get paid by his club despite the ban (which is true!) and that he still had leverage over Brentford (because if they fined him, he might just see out his contract and leave for free to another club now that Toney has shown he can score in the Premier League) and those posters got downvoted for no particular reason that I can see. People just can't help downvoting things they don't like, I guess.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Lacrosse posted:

I'm sure a huge reason why this is, is because a ton of content is locked away in private discords now. Anything public without a pay wall is a bot paradise.

although this is definitely a thing, i don't think it's that big of a thing as some people make it out to be. discord is a miserable format for information, even worse than reddit, for anything that isn't just poo poo-IRC talking about what you had to breakfast or the bad date you had last night. ime there isn't nearly as much stuff hidden away in discords as people make it seem, they're mostly white noise that makes even gbs or chatthreads seem like wikipedia in comparison.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Is there really someone itt defending management in regards to a strike action? :wtc:

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Lacrosse posted:

discord is a loving disaster and it's gonna be wild when they inevitably die because they simply cannot be profitable

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Lacrosse posted:

FORUMS

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
most discords that do have info on things just link to a private google doc of some form or another, or even worse it's a stickied chat message from four years ago that is totally out of date

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

DancingShade posted:

(puts on red devil costume along with glowing LED horn hat and a tin foil wrapped cardboard pitchfork)

The original purpose of public education was to produce industrial revolution factory workers so the owners wouldn't have to train them up. All the factories were offshored long ago, therefore, ergo, vis-a vis, concordandly, ipso facto, we no longer have any need of a working public education system. Or one at all.

I'm convinced the only reason public education hasn't been abolished already is because it houses football programs.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Engorged Pedipalps posted:

What's there to make up? Huge spike in the hospitality sector is probably people who learned to code taking panic jobs

I’ve been reviewing a lot of dev resumes and noticed an uptick in people with cs degrees but prior jobs being in restaurants, etc in the last year.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Xaris posted:

although this is definitely a thing, i don't think it's that big of a thing as some people make it out to be. discord is a miserable format for information, even worse than reddit, for anything that isn't just poo poo-IRC talking about what you had to breakfast or the bad date you had last night. ime there isn't nearly as much stuff hidden away in discords as people make it seem, they're mostly white noise that makes even gbs or chatthreads seem like wikipedia in comparison.

How does one even find new discords? At least with subreddits you can find your interest quickly and there might be a wiki or sticky on that SR with useful info, but how do you find a relevant discord that also has useful info in it and not just people bullshitting all day?

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

my biggest general ux frustration with discord aside from their likely horrible security is that you can't easily mass delete your own messages. also that there's a lot of servers with welcome bots that call you out when you might just want to quietly lurk otherwise

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

skooma512 posted:

How does one even find new discords? At least with subreddits you can find your interest quickly and there might be a wiki or sticky on that SR with useful info, but how do you find a relevant discord that also has useful info in it and not just people bullshitting all day?

usually they're linked off of reddit, funny enough

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
gently caress Qbert 3. Qbert 2 was when it was best.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

skooma512 posted:

you can bing them, also discord has an internal directory you can search

wether that is the "real" discord that has all of the community is iffy

also some discords are really tightly controlled, goon fav Caves of Qud discord being the poster child of this where there is a waiting list and an interview process before you are allowed on the discord (because of hate brigades)

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

webcams for christ posted:

only FT seems to really be running with it. Bloomberg is leading with Russia/Ukraine and everyone else seems to be leading with the debt ceiling vote

forbidden waffle maker

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Xaris posted:

while the updoot system is quite bad, very bad even, i never really found it that detrimental. i'd say i used to have good success with smaller niche local/hobby/whatever subs but they are definitely just selfie spam or w/e junk now.

it also doesnt help they've now killed off 3rd party search and the 1st party search is loving terrible.

I think what happens is you have people notice a subreddit has worthwhile information and posts so they subscribe to it. But then when people post a white noise selfie or whatever they just reflexively click upvote without actually considering if it's a post that adds to the community or not since they're just scrolling through their frontpage and that white noise post popped up right next to everything else that's unrelated.

Also both Reddit and Facebook seem to have gone extremely overboard lately on suggested posts. My facebook feed is like 50% random groups that I've never looked at and have no interest in and Facebook has removed the ability to just outright hide groups so it doesn't matter how often you click "not interested" it's going to show right back up a day or two later. And Reddit is constantly inserting stuff from subreddits I don't follow to say "Hey, join this subreddit" and if I wanted to do that I would have joined it already, but just like Facebook there is no ability to tell it to not suggest that community anymore.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Mad Wack posted:

also some discords are really tightly controlled, goon fav Caves of Qud discord being the poster child of this where there is a waiting list and an interview process before you are allowed on the discord (because of hate brigades)

lmfao what the gently caress is this poo poo

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Thoguh posted:

I think what happens is you have people notice a subreddit has worthwhile information and posts so they subscribe to it. But then when people post a white noise selfie or whatever they just reflexively click upvote without actually considering if it's a post that adds to the community or not since they're just scrolling through their frontpage and that white noise post popped up right next to everything else that's unrelated.

Also both Reddit and Facebook seem to have gone extremely overboard lately on suggested posts. My facebook feed is like 50% random groups that I've never looked at and have no interest in and Facebook has removed the ability to just outright hide groups so it doesn't matter how often you click "not interested" it's going to show right back up a day or two later. And Reddit is constantly inserting stuff from subreddits I don't follow to say "Hey, join this subreddit" and if I wanted to do that I would have joined it already, but just like Facebook there is no ability to tell it to not suggest that community anymore.

yeah the suggested poo poo is terrible and only gunna be getting worse as they rocket towards IPO. i don't browse the front-page. at least with ublock + RES plugin, the site is fairly lean.

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

gradenko_2000 posted:

well if you can't legally strike anymore, that just leaves...

VOTE

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

I will say Discord is a great solution for a smaller groups that were only ever bullshitting. I've had a group that's survived multiple dead webforums, made their own and put in dozens of subforums for a population of 10 people (and haven't we all done this with free phpbbs), IRC, Skype group chats, and then Discord came along and blew all those things out of the water because it provided custom emojis and light segmentation and largely doesn't fail all the time like Skype did.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

skooma512 posted:

I will say Discord is a great solution for a smaller groups that were only ever bullshitting. I've had a group that's survived multiple dead webforums, made their own and put in dozens of subforums for a population of 10 people (and haven't we all done this with free phpbbs), IRC, Skype group chats, and then Discord came along and blew all those things out of the water because it provided custom emojis and light segmentation and largely doesn't fail all the time like Skype did.

I don't think anyone would really argue that Discord isn't good at a chat platform, which is basically its intended purpose. The problem is that it is unbelievably bad as a platform for larger communities, especially brand/product/hobby communities where theoretically anyone who purchased a thing or does a thing might want to join for help or information.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

Paradoxish posted:

I don't think anyone would really argue that Discord isn't good at a chat platform, which is basically its intended purpose. The problem is that it is unbelievably bad as a platform for larger communities, especially brand/product/hobby communities where theoretically anyone who purchased a thing or does a thing might want to join for help or information.

when has being incredibly bad ever stopped anyone

Morbus
May 18, 2004

triple sulk posted:

my biggest general ux frustration with discord aside from their likely horrible security is that you can't easily mass delete your own messages.

the best internet chat platform is just a box u type in and a single "post" button that deletes whatever you have written

Dr. Furious
Jan 11, 2001
KELVIN
My bot don't know nuthin' 'bout no KELVIN

Popoto posted:

e: imagine for a small second if this website added "likes" to posts. lmao

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

https://twitter.com/DeItaone/status/1664322379730894864

Rates will be cut before the year is out. NUMBER is pleased.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Popoto posted:

e: imagine for a small second if this website added "likes" to posts. lmao

Facepunch forums, for Garry's Mod, did exactly that. They copied SA and added emoji likes years before Discord and Twitch.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I do not think inflation is going to go down

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

PawParole posted:

https://twitter.com/DeItaone/status/1664322379730894864

Rates will be cut before the year is out. NUMBER is pleased.

lol inflation isn't g oing down because its driven by corpos raising profits to squeeze increasing profit with decreasing volume, and increased rent-seeking with tendency for rate of profit to fall

not monetary policy

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

three years into doing nothing to make inflation go down: what if inflation went down ?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
well i guess we'll get disinflation where rate of inflation falls but everything's still gunna cost +200% from 2019

that's the bad thing, we talk about inflation being high but inflation is a measure of increasing prices over last quarter/year, so even if inflation falls, that does nothing about the fact that like a single pringles cost like $19.99 or w/e and rents are $3000 a month

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

triple sulk posted:

discord is a loving disaster and it's gonna be wild when they inevitably die because they simply cannot be profitable

PLEASE BUY NITRO PLEASE BUY NITRO PLEASE BUY NITRO.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

FlapYoJacks posted:

"It's our birthday pls give us money"

"Okay it's been a week and it's still our birthday give us money"

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

FlapYoJacks posted:

yeah. $10 a month for some stupid animated reactions on messages or whatever

Randabis
Apr 2, 2005

Homeless Friend posted:

sort of, it wasn't going to burn down in the metaphor. rather the flammable materials were held in a steady state and the chemical reaction could be stopped at any time with the materials being wasted. There was no danger of a fire but the continuous running would render them inert and ruin the machine eventually. They left them in the running state to preserve the machinery but didn't fully inform management about the state of the running machines on leaving (if I'm interpreting the news correctly since intent is a lot of it, it looks like).

gently caress the dumb discord and video gamez poo poo for a minute.

So basically you are saying they pulled in with the trucks running and didn't tell anyone there that the trucks were still running?

Then management and I guess security proceeded to do their mountains of cocaine until they eventually heard the trucks blow up?

LMAO

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Randabis posted:

So basically you are saying they pulled in with the trucks running and didn't tell anyone there that the trucks were still running?

Then management and I guess security proceeded to do their mountains of cocaine until they eventually heard the trucks blow up?

LMAO

More like the management asked around to find out if anyone knew how to drive a truck but suprise suprise no one there once worked a manual job so they just decided to just jump straight to figuring out how to compensate the loss and someone evil brought up the idea of suing them for it

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Randabis posted:

LMAO

It's entirely likely that management has no idea how to operate the trucks, nor had any plan in place for where all the mixed concrete could go if there was any excess, let alone a full load.

Which is to say, in short:

Toph Bei Fong has issued a correction as of 19:35 on Jun 1, 2023

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Randabis posted:

LMAO

Not even. It was the possibility of the trucks being ruined and them wasting the concrete they had to dispose of to save the trucks that have them suing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

euphronius posted:

three years into doing nothing to make inflation go down: what if inflation went down ?

Talk about wrong!
https://twitter.com/DeItaone/status/1664339955743596559?t=RLsnhgZdVluYCRb13sxBeQ&s=19