Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem

Philthy posted:

Haven't been following D4 at all. Not sure if I'm liking it much. I'll keep playing and beat it, but..

It feels like a mobile game. The UI is janky. Especially the inventory. The Tetris inventory was iconic, and gave you that dopamine rush when you fit things just perfectly.

Why is everything identified. Again, that was a huge dopamine rush to unveil things. It's a silly thing, but it's real. Finding loot feels so blah now, which was the whole point of the Diablo games.

It's way too zoomed in. If anything makes me stop playing, it's this. I need to zoom out another 50%. Ranged combat is super annoying so zoomed in.

The map overlay doesn't let you see through it and play at the same time. What. the. gently caress.

Skill trees. Not a fan of the progression.

Maybe I'll change my opinion, but kinda disappointed right off the bat.

counterpoint, inventory management and identifying poo poo was awful and provided me with negative dopamine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Well folks I've been playing for a few hours and the game owns. I turn into a bear and a wolf and I beat poo poo up

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

"15,000 hours of Diablo II isn't that much, dweeb."

I said come in! posted:

After you get through the act I content, the cracks start to show in the story. So many of these cutscenes are glitchy, and a lot of corners were cut.

I'm less annoyed by the story than I am by the glitchy cutscenes. Are you in a party? Wonder if it's better single player.

Mr. Funktastic
Dec 27, 2012

College Slice
So are you another Nephalem in this game like you were in D3 or are you just a human adventurer like in D2? Also if you're a Rogue focusing on melee, is the bow you can equip just for show and stat/effects buffs at that point or do you actually use it for attacks? Is it even worth doing a hybrid build?

Mr. Funktastic fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jun 2, 2023

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

i have real life stuff so can't play until tomorrow afternoon/evening and i'm considering telling everyone in my life to gently caress off i have a videogame to play

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

thats not candy posted:

counterpoint, inventory management and identifying poo poo was awful and provided me with negative dopamine

Agreed, if playing tetris is a highlight, maybe you need to look at the actual gameplay and think "why is fixing my inventory more fun"

auto-identifying poo poo is just removing 3 clicks from D3 (tp -> run to book of cain -> click), or a million clicks for d2 (why would you want this again)

its a new decade, a new diablo game, embrace progress

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem

Mr. Funktastic posted:

So are you another Nephalem in this game like you were in D3 or are you just a human adventurer like in D2?

i think you're an adventurer thats been semi-corrupted by lilith which makes you more powerful maybe? i dunno, i haven't gotten past the beta part of the story yet

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
Need some hero to claim Gooseflock [HONK] or something similar :pray:

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
hey I sent a request under cytolliver#1888

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Holy poo poo the main quest is so loving broken lol. Let this be absolute proof that crunch time development does not deliver. Lets try to do this one single quest for a 4th loving time and hope the scripting doesnt break.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

runaway dog posted:

hey I sent a request under cytolliver#1888

Do you request Something Waffle? It's been accepted already. Look at your clan page for pending requests

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

so i guess they just took away the unequipped appearance for all weapons? cool dumb

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

"Personally, I think he's done a great job of being down to earth so far."
Finally got on. Haven't seen any clan invites though. Is something screwy on blizzards side?

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Is anyone else having the game lock up a few seconds after the splash screen loads up? I was able to play for a while, but when I try to get back in it happens every single time.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

KajiTheMelonMan posted:

Agreed, if playing tetris is a highlight, maybe you need to look at the actual gameplay and think "why is fixing my inventory more fun"

auto-identifying poo poo is just removing 3 clicks from D3 (tp -> run to book of cain -> click), or a million clicks for d2 (why would you want this again)

its a new decade, a new diablo game, embrace progress

I'd add map overlay under the same category as inventory tetris. If you feel the need to have a constant center display transparent map overlay to follow instead of the actual action on screen, either you or the game is broken. And if the later the solution isn't add a transparent map.

molestrios
Jan 21, 2020
Folks primarily doing the story on WT1, what's your level progress like? I played for 5 hours and am just level 22, slower than I figured but not complaining just wondering where others were at.

Also why in act 1 were we getting act 3 quests? Is that how people jumped forward to finish the campaign asap or do all of the campaign quests have to be done regardless?

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

Holey moley the in engine cutscenes rule, Act 2 really starts kickin poo poo off

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

The plot of D4 seems to be about gullible nerds dooming the world

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

CuddleCryptid posted:

The plot of the Diablo series seems to be about gullible nerds dooming the world

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

molestrios posted:

Also why in act 1 were we getting act 3 quests? Is that how people jumped forward to finish the campaign asap or do all of the campaign quests have to be done regardless?

The first 4 acts can be done in any order

E: first 3 acts

Magus42 fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jun 4, 2023

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

I've yet to hear the word soulstone, perhaps this time we won't put all of our eggs into the same failed basket.

edit: ok just heard about a soulstone lol

Atoramos fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jun 2, 2023

molestrios
Jan 21, 2020

Magus42 posted:

The first 4 acts can be done in any order

Ah ty

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
I am having a good time diabloing

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Game is very fun to play, but this story is terrible.

[edit]
Half way through act III, you can no longer skip cutscenes lol.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Sent request as abitrubbish #2399

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Watching SkillUp's review and I'm so depressed. His review took care of my concern about the GaS crap by talking about the massive amount of content in the campaign but his description of the super-aggressive level scaling has managed to kill all my interest. A key element in this kind of game, for me at least, is that stair step of progression; fighting your way up against largely matched bad guys until you level up or find that awesome item that, for a short time at least, makes you feel truly powerful and able to beat the poo poo out of the game until you once again plateau and have start working again. If the game is all plateau, nope.

poo poo.

I hate level scaling too so this bums me out

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
any streamers trying the actual hardcore 100 rush?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

BULBASAUR posted:

I hate level scaling too so this bums me out

It's not true at all though really, the exact thing happens that I expect to happen when I get a new weapon: enemies I took a while to kill start getting blown in to small bits. Then if I don't get another new weapon for a while it slows down again. The story and leveling work just like I'd expect a game like this to work, and it's good.

Level scaling is a good thing to keep side quests and back tracking zones worth while.

Having a zone that instantly kills you or one that you're immortal in because monsters can't even hit you is silly and doesn't really add anything to the campaign mode. That stuff all exists at the endgame if you want it

E: also legitimately this is the only blizzard launch I can remember in at least 15 years that didn't suffer massive queues, crashes, or lag, so, hey, pleasant surprise.

Iceman2343
May 7, 2007

I'll take the Job.

Ah, Diablo 4, good for a post work cool down.

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

Did guild invites fail server side or did goon squad instantly fill?

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

negativeneil posted:

Did guild invites fail server side or did goon squad instantly fill?

I think it filled up about an hour ago or so. Join waffles. They taste better.

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

LambBear#1602 is my b.net

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Played for what, six, seven hours? Finally stopped, level 22 with a wee bit left to hit 23.

I'm not rushing, I'm taking my time to enjoy the game. I mean why rush, not in any hurry. Doing stuff, talking to characters and enjoying the looooooooooooooooooore.

Haven't seen a single legendary, guessing they dropped the rate unless I was very lucky in the server slam event.

Game launched without any issues on my side, saw a tad bit of stuttering during the church cinematic when transitioning to in game. Nothing aside from that.
There is a bit of an odd sound issue, some times when talking with someone, once they pause and continue to talk it can be louder.
Playing with an Xbox elite 2 controller, and loving it. Blasphemy I know. Find it so much better than mouse and keyboard.
Didn't see anyone level 30 or above.

The cash shop, that's stuff done up from immortal? They got a lot of crap there, and that's what it all is. Crap. Have zero intention of spending a dime on that. Someone said the game is so zoomed in
because they want people to see their costumes more and help sell them in shop and I believe it.

Overall, having a good time.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Gwaihir posted:

Having a zone that instantly kills you or one that you're immortal in because monsters can't even hit you is silly and doesn't really add anything to the campaign mode. That stuff all exists at the endgame if you want it

this is what I enjoy, OP

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

The people who made the opening video should be proud of themselves. Game rules as chain lightning mage so far.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
What's the player cap in a clan anyway? Wish they'd kept communities like D3 has that support hundreds of people.

Has anybody found a use for the Fast Quest Track hotkey? It never seemed to do anything during beta and still doesn't now in Act 1 proper, but they assigned it to something close to other major binds by default so surely it serves a purpose.

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

I said come in! posted:

Half way through act III, you can no longer skip cutscenes lol.
this is a bug that goes away by restarting (its been there since beta 1 at least)

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

thats not candy posted:

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

this game is really hitting the spot. I'm enjoying how much freedom there is. i went off to get some codex's before returning to the main quest and I didn't ever have any FOMO that I should get back to the main quest. same with all the side quests I've been picking up. feels good, good job devs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Swilo posted:

What's the player cap in a clan anyway? Wish they'd kept communities like D3 has that support hundreds of people.

Really baffling why it is so small.