Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Watching the Gladiators 30 for 30.

How are they going to get two episodes out of this? I've enjoyed most of it, but it's already feeling like they've covered just about everything.

Sabre is awesome, though, and I could listen to him all day.

It apparently goes in a different direction. To give you a hint, it's produced by VICE Studios.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/NFL_DovKleiman/status/1663879700454711299

Man he got less than I thought. Although I guess it probably equals out now that like he doesn't have to pay and deal with like the management and overhead side of running his own business/show.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I like Pat McAfee

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Dexo posted:

https://twitter.com/NFL_DovKleiman/status/1663879700454711299

Man he got less than I thought. Although I guess it probably equals out now that like he doesn't have to pay and deal with like the management and overhead side of running his own business/show.

Wild. He took a $13m/year paycut? No way that pays for itself in any kind of production savings. Has to be something else going on.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

DeimosRising posted:

Wild. He took a $13m/year paycut? No way that pays for itself in any kind of production savings. Has to be something else going on.
Probably there’s something else going on I would imagine

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

It comes and goes, I generally like him, as like he's one of the few dudes in sports prognostications who like, actually seems to loving like sports and wants to have fun talking about it, leaning more positive than negative like most sports prognosticators do nowadays.

But also he can be very very annoying.

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006
He sucks, his wrestler gimmick sucks, his wife beater/sport coat look is abhorrent, and he singlehandedly caused me to watch about 50% less Gameday, a show I've been watching religiously for about 30 years. No better example of the whole "Idiocracy was a documentary" trope than this clown getting $17MM to yell and scream and slam the desk for three hours, when he's not belly flopping into some body of water of course.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

DeimosRising posted:

I mean he no longer has to pay his employees and co-hosts on the show, as I assume they are now ESPN employees. Doesn't have to pay health insurance costs, or anything else relating to renting a space/insurance etc, doesn't pay rent for the space he's renting, doesn't have to pay the NFL for rights to use the footage in his show, as ESPN has that covered.

Also probably just generally Time is money, he no longer has to think about anything business wise other than doing the show.

Probably not quite 13m/y but at some stage taking a lets say even 10 million a year paycut sounds like alot, but at that level of wealth, it's all monopoly money, and just increasing a number for ego. It doesn't particularly change your life.

He also now is going to have a far far larger platform and assuming it goes well will be in front of millions of eyes vs the like 50k or whatever he does on his YT show.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Yea, at that level, I would happily give up a couple mil to not have to deal with bullshit related to running a company any more.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

He’s likely also on a deferred compensation plan and Disney has a very good overall retirement plan.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/stephenasmith/status/1663885673558863872?s=46

Oh boy

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/wtol11toledo/status/1664057127407689728?s=46

This sucks, Jim’s a great broadcaster. gently caress a cancer.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/MySportsUpdate/status/1664060429738422273

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
Reading the breast milk tweet right before the “I know the deal, I’ve done it before, and I plan to do it once again,” tweet threw me for a loop.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Watching the Gladiators 30 for 30.

How are they going to get two episodes out of this? I've enjoyed most of it, but it's already feeling like they've covered just about everything.

Sabre is awesome, though, and I could listen to him all day.

We just got to the climax of the documentary: making GBS threads on the '08 reboot.

Probably also means we're due for a new run during this next writers strike.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

We just got to the climax of the documentary: making GBS threads on the '08 reboot.

Probably also means we're due for a new run during this next writers strike.

I watched a little bit of the reboot on youtube last week god it was awful.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

LionYeti posted:

I watched a little bit of the reboot on youtube last week god it was awful.
It was basically unwatchable because of how many Human Interest stories they tried to cram into each show.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
It’s like American Ninja Warrior versus the OG, I wanna hear a 30 second segment about the fisherman who does pull-ups off the side of his boat for training then watch him run the course, not a 5 minute sob story from some failed personal trainer out of Texas how this is their greatest dream realized

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
I’ve made this exact same statement about why the original AG was the best version of the athletic competition shows.

Just give me grainy footage from your friend holding the camera while you lift weights at the gym then do the training course at the firefighter academy. I don’t care that your little brother died of cancer when he was 10, and I sure don’t need to see pictures of his last birthday at the children’s hospital for 3 minutes.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

This sounds exactly like why prime time coverage of the Olympics is awful

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Every network has their habits. CBS has 10,000 cop crime procedurals, ABC has 10,000 CW dramas with bigger budgets, FOX has 10,000 “hey can I copy your homework?” game shows, and NBC has 10,000 sob stories where an athletic event is a side show.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Sash! posted:

This sounds exactly like why prime time coverage of the Olympics is awful

Don Ohlmeyer is sitting at the left hand of Satan for this crime.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

Crazy Ted posted:

It was basically unwatchable because of how many Human Interest stories they tried to cram into each show.

None of the gladiators were all that good at the competitions either except for Wolf

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

last night in great local news reports:

https://twitter.com/awfulannouncing/status/1664474043658178563

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The one thing that surprised me about American Gladiators is how small it is.

In the UK, it was held at the NEC in Birmingham which is setup for around 15,000 people. The show was absolutely massive and held the prestigious Saturday prime time family spot for years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrqDmIaj_aM

I have to laugh about Shadow getting kicked off because of a steroid scandal. Who looked at any of those dudes and thought any of them was clean. Also man, Shadow is definitely some 90s naming for a black performer.

E: looks like we had a revival in the UK too, back in 2008 and there’s another one coming this year.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost

Alexander Hamilton posted:

None of the gladiators were all that good at the competitions either except for Wolf

:hmmyes:

EL BROMANCE posted:

The one thing that surprised me about American Gladiators is how small it is.

In the UK, it was held at the NEC in Birmingham which is setup for around 15,000 people. The show was absolutely massive and held the prestigious Saturday prime time family spot for years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrqDmIaj_aM

I have to laugh about Shadow getting kicked off because of a steroid scandal. Who looked at any of those dudes and thought any of them was clean. Also man, Shadow is definitely some 90s naming for a black performer.

E: looks like we had a revival in the UK too, back in 2008 and there’s another one coming this year.

We would get a taste of it during International Gladiators specials, an absolute madhouse. Though Saturday syndication is the opposite of British television (to the point where I swear I saw cardboard cutouts in the stands on more than one occasion).

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I feel like the doc did a pretty good job explaining why Gladiators is uniquely viable in the 80s and not now. Like they all sit around going “this isn’t safe for people to do, we were horribly hurt and addicted to drugs, this is more dangerous than the NFL” and then they’re all saying “the reboot lacked any punch”. Doing it all 80s would be a mess of liability and bad press. Tuning it down results in bad reactions. Then you have the aspect of the Gladiators being your stars and being eventually in a position to want proper pay.

It’s just cheaper and easier to run reality shows where no one will get horribly injured and you can just keep turning over the talent so they never unionize.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Battle Dome was a late 90s gladiators/wrestling mash-up that ended up injuring a ton of competitors— one episode a guy went down with a leg injury, then his replacement immediately broke his ankle.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

STAC Goat posted:

I feel like the doc did a pretty good job explaining why Gladiators is uniquely viable in the 80s and not now. Like they all sit around going “this isn’t safe for people to do, we were horribly hurt and addicted to drugs, this is more dangerous than the NFL” and then they’re all saying “the reboot lacked any punch”. Doing it all 80s would be a mess of liability and bad press. Tuning it down results in bad reactions. Then you have the aspect of the Gladiators being your stars and being eventually in a position to want proper pay.

It’s just cheaper and easier to run reality shows where no one will get horribly injured and you can just keep turning over the talent so they never unionize.

Johnny Ferraro and Vince McMahon are incredibly similar in how they operate. The only differences were the specifics of their sliminess. Hell, American Gladiators was essentially the buffer between 1980s WWF and WCW's brief blip and the Attitude Era. And a lot of lives were messed up the same way from 1980s WWF and 1990s WWF/WCW: Awful schedules, rampant drug problems and no power for most of its performers. Wrestling only had better pay.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Amoral narcissists and conmen all kind of look similar when you break them down. Use people, build a cult of personality around yourself, call any criticism a lie and pay off people to be quiet. Sounds like another guy from the 80s.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

STAC Goat posted:

Amoral narcissists and conmen all kind of look similar when you break them down. Use people, build a cult of personality around yourself, call any criticism a lie and pay off people to be quiet. Sounds like another guy from the 80s.

At least Herb Abrams went out like a true ‘80s guy when the UWF imploded: naked, covered in baby oil, smashing up his office with a baseball bat, and with more cocaine in his system than Studio 54.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Luigi Thirty posted:

At least Herb Abrams went out like a true ‘80s guy when the UWF imploded: naked, covered in baby oil, smashing up his office with a baseball bat, and with more cocaine in his system than Studio 54.

You either die a hero, or live long enough to become a villain.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

STAC Goat posted:

Pluto TV had a 24/7 American Gladiators channel for a while, and one thing I didn't remember was that the 80s version was risky enough they had alternate contestants on standby during each episode because injuries to the competitors weren't an uncommon thing.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I’ve been watching some episode on YouTube and it’s really brutal. The likely amount of concussions alone as a gladiator just smashes contestants repeatedly in the head.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

Edward Mass posted:

You either die a hero, or live long enough to become a villain.

This gem from Wikipedia:

“Abrams later started a chain of plus-size clothing stores for women called I'm a Big Girl Now in 1988.”

Woof

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Holy poo poo :stare:

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
People have been hating Bill Simmons for ages, not realizing that Bill's fade from the sports scene would see him replaced by a tiny evil version of himself, Dave Portnoy

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Dejan Bimble posted:

People have been hating Bill Simmons for ages, not realizing that Bill's fade from the sports scene would see him replaced by a tiny evil version of himself, Dave Portnoy

God that's bleak

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/alex_faust/status/1665782993003094016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Dejan Bimble posted:

Bill Simmons' sins are pretty loving small on a scale of "0-to-Dave Portnoy".