Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Everything is fine.

https://twitter.com/lines_down/status/1664645094895415298

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

One of the big selling points of his stupid loving "metaverse" is being able to meet in cyberspace rather than in person, but I guess a sociopath like Zuck gets off on the power trip of forcing his slaves valued employees to come back to the office so he can lord it over them.

The takeaway from this is that not even zuck has faith that metaverse can do what he says it can do

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

Twerk from Home posted:

Advertising is hardly going away for everyone unless there's some anti-billboard tech that I'm not aware of, everytime I leave my house I get to see this months new ads for weed and beer on giant billboards.

Weed billboards get on my nerves because I can find the weed store without it and don't need Walter and gladys on the interstate to get riled up in traffic about the marijuana bongheads

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Get a Raspberry Pi, throw Pihole on it, and throw it in a closet.

Right now anti-ad tech works largely because content providers are more uneasy at the political ramifications of hard-stopping people divert/skip ads than they are at the prospect of losing some high-competence techies who probably wouldn't bite at the ads anyways.

This is all changing. I would like to have this discussion again in a year or two because I think it will be a different landscape for adtech.

Why is Youtube gearing towards a hardball approach to anti ads? Why is Chrome trying to get people used to the concept of ad blockers becoming far less effective?

My firm belief is that at some point in the near-ish future, it's going to be hard enough to bypass ads (on major content serving platforms at least) that the vast, vast majority of people will either pay for no-ad or give up.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Taima posted:

You can already roughly determine the economic value of a consumer by how many ad-laced services they use. Though that's only REALLY true for milennials and younger. Gen X and older are kind of a crapshoot because the technical accumen in those generations is just low in general. This is especially true of boomers who are not even used to the concept of paying more for fewer ads and probably wouldn't be interested in paying more for that benefit even if they did. Their brains are frozen in time from a world where they would literally watch 30 minutes of television of which 7-8 minutes were ads. Which is loving unreal to think about. And you PAID for the privilege of that structure with cable television!!!

ze boomer eez a strange creature with ze brain frozen in ad-saturated media.

it's a marvel zey can use ze computers or ze mobile phones at all with their pretensile deficiencies.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

now let me just go see who advertisers are marketing to outside of the healthcare sector.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Taima posted:

Why is Youtube gearing towards a hardball approach to anti ads? Why is Chrome trying to get people used to the concept of ad blockers becoming far less effective?

I'll quit using Youtube before I watch ads on it

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Taima posted:

Because Google owns both companies and they've decided that their bottom line is more important than user choice. That's the problem with a single company controlling so much web infrastructure.

I use Firefox with NoScript and uBlock Origin, so I'm OK for now but I'm sure Youtube is working on a way to force ads on Firefox users too.

Same. Their ability to pay server costs is their problem; not mine.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
again if you a chromecast to watch twitch on a tv it still blocks all ads and I don’t know why but I am not complaining

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Taima posted:

Right now anti-ad tech works largely because content providers are more uneasy at the political ramifications of hard-stopping people divert/skip ads than they are at the prospect of losing some high-competence techies who probably wouldn't bite at the ads anyways.

This is all changing. I would like to have this discussion again in a year or two because I think it will be a different landscape for adtech.

My firm belief is that at some point in the near-ish future, it's going to be hard enough to bypass ads (on major content serving platforms at least) that the vast, vast majority of people will either pay for no-ad or give up.

I want to give a lot of smiles to whatever YouTube exec made the call for random ads to be like 20 dB louder than the content I'm trying to watch

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Willa Rogers posted:

ze boomer eez a strange creature with ze brain frozen in ad-saturated media.

it's a marvel zey can use ze computers or ze mobile phones at all with their pretensile deficiencies.

I'm sympathetic to your overall message about boomers Willa but it's ridiculous to argue that their patterns of living and consumption aren't largely calcified, or that their expectations and habits aren't set by the norms in which they grew up, which is something that happens to everyone as they age.

There's really no need to lash out like you do.

Because Google owns both companies and they've decided that their bottom line is more important than user choice. That's the problem with a single company controlling so much web infrastructure.

The list grows every day. Reddit being the most recent salient example.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/barrycollins/2023/06/01/death-by-api-reddit-joins-twitter-in-pricing-out-apps/?sh=1ebecde7606d

Business Gorillas posted:

I want to give a lot of smiles to whatever YouTube exec made the call for random ads to be like 20 dB louder than the content I'm trying to watch

It's the loving worst. I work in marketing and hate adtech with a fiery passion that makes the general public's hatred of advertising seem cheery and quaint in comparison. If we made advertising illegal tomorrow under penalty of death I would be 100% ok with that even though it would basically destroy my ability to support myself.

So make no mistake I'm not coming at this from some kind of sympathetic viewpoint, I'm just reporting the reality that is simply my everyday experience in the marketing/ad space and the directions that it's clearly headed in.

Taima has issued a correction as of 16:28 on Jun 2, 2023

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

No Recession Confirmed

https://twitter.com/JustinWolfers/status/1664637220131684352

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
It was interesting being at one friend's house where their toddler watches Nick JR and sees advertising focused on children and families (toys, diapers, snacks, vehicles with child safety features), where another friend lets their toddler watch absolute garbage on Youtube and the ads are for insurance, makeup, and pharmaceuticals. Still, they would both go into a panic when commercials started.

Web advertising is sold as being so refined but it's just spam with a cheaper price structure

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Taima posted:

I'm sympathetic to your overall message about boomers Willa but it's ridiculous to argue that their patterns of living and consumption aren't largely calcified, or that their expectations and habits aren't set by the norms in which they grew up, which is something that happens to everyone as they age.

There's really no need to lash out like you do.

I'm not lashing out, lol; I'm mocking your weird pseudo-anthropological phrasing.

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

Twerk from Home posted:

Advertising is hardly going away for everyone unless there's some anti-billboard tech that I'm not aware of, everytime I leave my house I get to see this months new ads for weed and beer on giant billboards.

Billboards don’t strike me a high-tier channels to get through to well-off consumers though. I have a dim recollection of billboards for (injury) layers, god, and weed that I’ve seen in the space of last week. Neither are of relevance to me.

On the flip side, I’m struck by how little we’re exposed to ads in my family: content is streamed via a bouquet of paid services, we have YouTube premium, the browsers have ad blockers, I listen to podcasts that I support on patreon or Apple Music in the car, etc.

The moment we step out of this safe space, I’m struck and revolted by the amount of advertising that a normal mortal is subjected to; when we were in Ireland over Christmas, I almost lost my mind when we had local television on.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

morothar posted:

Billboards don’t strike me a high-tier channels to get through to well-off consumers though. I have a dim recollection of billboards for (injury) layers, god, and weed that I’ve seen in the space of last week. Neither are of relevance to me.

On the flip side, I’m struck by how little we’re exposed to ads in my family: content is streamed via a bouquet of paid services, we have YouTube premium, the browsers have ad blockers, I listen to podcasts that I support on patreon or Apple Music in the car, etc.

The moment we step out of this safe space, I’m struck and revolted by the amount of advertising that a normal mortal is subjected to; when we were in Ireland over Christmas, I almost lost my mind when we had local television on.

yah; it's jarring to be at someone's house when they've got broadcast tv on for background noise & they have honed the supernatural ability of tuning the ads out, especially when the volume on ads is so much louder than on the program.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

I think the idea of some kind of ad-flasher who's physically trying to break ad blockers will stick with me for some time.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Advertising is pollution.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Knight posted:

It was interesting being at one friend's house where their toddler watches Nick JR and sees advertising focused on children and families (toys, diapers, snacks, vehicles with child safety features), where another friend lets their toddler watch absolute garbage on Youtube and the ads are for insurance, makeup, and pharmaceuticals. Still, they would both go into a panic when commercials started.

Web advertising is sold as being so refined but it's just spam with a cheaper price structure

sad they're willing to sacrifice their childs future rather than pay for Youtube Premium

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Alright but there are still other things about the stock market that make no sense at all!

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

triple sulk posted:

had a bad interview. or at least i think it was bad. oh well

did they make you do stupid puzzles or whatever they make you nerds do.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
just found this book at the library

our leech industries have their own leech industries

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Vox Nihili posted:

Alright but there are still other things about the stock market that make no sense at all!
Yeah I would have thought the UK market cap would have been a lot less.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

SKULL.GIF posted:

Advertising is pollution.

advertising may be unwelcome and unproductive but our biggest corporations are based on it so it's all we got

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Has anybody seen the HBO ads yet? Or, excuse me, Max? (God I loving hate that name.)

It turns out that HBO is just TV after all, I guess.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

if you want to highlight the absurd valuation of a tech company, not sure failure island is the best point of comparison tbh

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

Get a Raspberry Pi, throw Pihole on it, and throw it in a closet.

that's a lot of blocked spy poo poo

My blocked traffic gets up to 33% sometimes. It's loving awful.

edit: i just remembered the last time my raspberry pi went down it was immediately noticeable and my wife threatened legal action against me if i didn't fix it

Zapf Dingbat has issued a correction as of 17:35 on Jun 2, 2023

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Engorged Pedipalps posted:

The takeaway from this is that not even zuck has faith that metaverse can do what he says it can do

still find it hilarious that zuck the gently caress, thinking harder than he ever did in his entire life in tyool 2021 to try and identify the next tech hypewagon, blew right past AI and into Second Life: But Shittier and More Expensive.

Like they changed their name to Meta like what, 3 months before GPT-3 was released? Does this idiot talk to anyone? What is all his money doing?

Not to say a pivot to AI wouldn't have also been bullshit but at least read the room

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Pretty sure this dude just converted the market cap of the FTSE 100 from pounds into dollars, so this is not true.

But gently caress dem bean eaters though!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Morbus posted:

still find it hilarious that zuck the gently caress, thinking harder than he ever did in his entire life in tyool 2021 to try and identify the next tech hypewagon, blew right past AI and into Second Life: But Shittier and More Expensive.

Like they changed their name to Meta like what, 3 months before GPT-3 was released? Does this idiot talk to anyone? What is all his money doing?

Not to say a pivot to AI wouldn't have also been bullshit but at least read the room

Watching his company tank most of its value and the "metaverse" utterly fail to catch on has been a delight. Zuck and Musk are locked in competition for 'dumbest motherfucker in Silicon Valley', and I'm not sure which one is in the lead right now (probably Apartheid Clyde).

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Yeah (since Jan 1 23), payroll and real consumption have been up (although employment seems to be flatlining), while actual real income is flat and now trending downward, and industrial production/manufacturing seem to be down or flat. Arguably, one of the real supports to the economy has been consumer credit, which has kept consumption going and in part, payrolls and total employment, but that isn't going to last forever, as manufacturing and industrial production seem pretty slow. In addition, corporate debt still seems like an issue, and yields on A grade bonds have started to rise.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

NBER go up

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Ardennes posted:

...real income is flat and now trending downward, and industrial production/manufacturing seem to be down or flat. Arguably, one of the real supports to the economy has been consumer credit, which has kept consumption going and in part, payrolls and total employment...

oh boy i've never seen this one before

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010

Me, walking around San Francisco on a business trip, surrounded by crumbling infrastructure and screaming mentally ill homeless people as food prices quadruple and nobody has disposable income because of rent increases so credit card utilization is through the loving roof: ah but these random numbers of tech stock valuations grew by an estimated 0.2% last quarter, so actually literally everything is fine

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Twerk from Home posted:

how far away are we from black rock ads on suburban housing

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

https://web.archive.org/web/20230602143146/https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2023/06/02/ai-taking-jobs/

quote:

When ChatGPT came out last November, Olivia Lipkin, a 25-year-old copywriter in San Francisco, didn’t think too much about it. Then, articles about how to use the chatbot on the job began appearing on internal Slack groups at the tech start-up where she worked as the company’s only writer.

Over the next few months, Lipkin’s assignments dwindled. Managers began referring to her as “Olivia/ChatGPT” on Slack. In April, she was let go without explanation, but when she found managers writing about how using ChatGPT was cheaper than paying a writer, the reason for her layoff seemed clear.

lol jesus

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Watching his company tank most of its value and the "metaverse" utterly fail to catch on has been a delight. Zuck and Musk are locked in competition for 'dumbest motherfucker in Silicon Valley', and I'm not sure which one is in the lead right now (probably Apartheid Clyde).
Musk's just an rear end in a top hat doing a lot of coke and constantly making impulsive decisions. Overall, I think Zuckercorn's calm and steady total commitment to betting it all something absolutely nobody wants is dumber.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

DancingShade posted:

The 2 way telescreen will be mandatory by INGSOC and turning it off will be impossible / illegal.

1984: Mean government lady yells at you to exercise
2023: Nice lady in yoga pants encourages you to exercise, you paid 2000 for this treadmill.

Also they already did that, with the smartphone. It's soft mandatory but hey they'll line up around the block for these things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

sleep with the vicious posted:

Me, walking around San Francisco on a business trip, surrounded by crumbling infrastructure and screaming mentally ill homeless people as food prices quadruple and nobody has disposable income because of rent increases so credit card utilization is through the loving roof: ah but these random numbers of tech stock valuations grew by an estimated 0.2% last quarter, so actually literally everything is fine

People wailing and gnashing their teeth in public is an economic indicator, that all is as it should be because the money is flowing to the top where it belong. An American symphony of suffering.