Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
In a mix of economic and ecologic news.

Arizona limits new housing around Phoenix because of dwindling water supply

quote:

PHOENIX — Arizona will not approve new housing construction on the fast-growing edges of metro Phoenix that rely on groundwater thanks to years of overuse and a multi-decade drought that is sapping its water supply.

In a news conference Thursday, Gov. Katie Hobbs announced the restrictions that could affect some of the fastest-growing suburbs of the nation’s fifth-largest city.

Officials said developers could still build in the affected areas but would need to find alternative water sources to do so — such as surface or recycled water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Have they considered not selling land to the Saudis to pump aquifers dry just to grow Alfalfa?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Vox Nihili posted:

One of many signs that the upcoming expiration of student loan forbearance is looking great.

FYI if there is a cosigner and the loan is discharged in death it might be taxable income to the cosigner.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

I think the only way this is a 'good' thing is that it means we'll have a generation or three of complete imbeciles who can't read, write, or think in any real way which will eventually sink America's position in the world. Of course, there's a few things already being done that does that as well.

I guess we're just waiting to see which one of the many things sinks civilization currently and if it's even possible to recover from.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I used ChatGPT for work for the first time last week. I was asked to implement a new feature where we get some data from another system and need to replicate their analytics dashboard in our app. At first, given the raw data we are actually able to get from the other system, I thought it wouldn't be possible. So I told the product team as much. They were pretty disappointed.

Then, on a hunch, I opened ChatGPT that evening, gave it some random sample data that resembles the real data, and said, "hey, just curious... based on this data, would it be possible to calculate/infer X?"

It said "yeah definitely, here's some SQL that does exactly that... and here's what it does..."

I looked at the script it gave and was like, well, this is far more complex than any SQL I've ever written, and does a bunch of poo poo I don't understand, but still, I doubt it works. In fact it cannot possibly work - ChatGPT probably just threw together random bits of SQL that it thinks are relevant! So I copy-pasted it, replaced a few variables with actual bits of data, and clicked 'run'. Then I compared the result with what the other system shows, and lo-and-behold it was 99.9% accurate.

So then I spent the next three days asking ChatGPT to write me SQL scripts to calculate various other stats along with detailed explanations of what each one does at each step, integrating them into the code, tweaking it for performance etc. When I showed the final demo to the product team, I was hailed as a loving hero.

The funniest thing is that the only reason I had the hunch to ask ChatGPT in the first place was because earlier that day I had read a post in this very thread that totally shat on ChatGPT and called it terrible and useless or whatever, and I followed the principle that Goons Are Always Wrong. So thank you, thread. :)

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Slow News Day posted:

I used ChatGPT for work for the first time last week. I was asked to implement a new feature where we get some data from another system and need to replicate their analytics dashboard in our app. At first, given the raw data we are actually able to get from the other system, I thought it wouldn't be possible. So I told the product team as much. They were pretty disappointed.

Then, on a hunch, I opened ChatGPT that evening, gave it some random sample data that resembles the real data, and said, "hey, just curious... based on this data, would it be possible to calculate/infer X?"

It said "yeah definitely, here's some SQL that does exactly that... and here's what it does..."

I looked at the script it gave and was like, well, this is far more complex than any SQL I've ever written, and does a bunch of poo poo I don't understand, but still, I doubt it works. In fact it cannot possibly work - ChatGPT probably just threw together random bits of SQL that it thinks are relevant! So I copy-pasted it, replaced a few variables with actual bits of data, and clicked 'run'. Then I compared the result with what the other system shows, and lo-and-behold it was 99.9% accurate.

So then I spent the next three days asking ChatGPT to write me SQL scripts to calculate various other stats along with detailed explanations of what each one does at each step, integrating them into the code, tweaking it for performance etc. When I showed the final demo to the product team, I was hailed as a loving hero.

The funniest thing is that the only reason I had the hunch to ask ChatGPT in the first place was because earlier that day I had read a post in this very thread that totally shat on ChatGPT and called it terrible and useless or whatever, and I followed the principle that Goons Are Always Wrong. So thank you, thread. :)

poo poo that didn't happen

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Slow News Day posted:

SYQ

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Slow News Day posted:

:shrek:

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
lmfao at computer toucher goons being like "this is impossible" then it being so easy white noise machine figured it out

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

there's a loophole that instead of selling a 30 subdivision lot you just sell 6x5 subdivision lots instead, so this effectively does nothing

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

I like it, one weird trick to use 5x less water for the same number of homes.

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

Computer person reading chatgpt output.

"Let's see here... SELECT? ...JOIN?!?! What the gently caress is an INNER, I don't understand any of this" :arghfist::butt:

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Homeless Friend posted:

lmfao at computer toucher goons being like "this is impossible" then it being so easy white noise machine figured it out

Also OpenAI now has that code somewhere, if I understand correctly.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

im coming around to the idea that the number of computer touchers who don't know how to do anything but write bad sql is much, much larger than previously suspected

i know all the job listings that pretend it's more of a skill than ms office should have tipped me off, it's just so impossibly stupid that it's tough to internalize

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

lol these are ranked by absolute dog bite numbers, of course the largest states and the largest, sprawliest cities take the top ranks. they have the most dogs and the most letter carriers!

let's see the real rankings. ZIP+4's by dog bite rate. number of dog bites per delivery point per year.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Irony.or.Death posted:

im coming around to the idea that the number of computer touchers who don't know how to do anything but write bad sql is much, much larger than previously suspected

i know all the job listings that pretend it's more of a skill than ms office should have tipped me off, it's just so impossibly stupid that it's tough to internalize

lol you're just now figuring that out? i'm not even a computer toucher (i'm a geotech/civil eng) and i could tell you that most are bad and wouldn't exist if it weren't for stackoverflow. which gpt just copies stackoverflow code and regurgitates it

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

oh no I knew most of them were copy-paste bots from stack overflow, I just thought they were pasting something that had more than, like, four commands

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Elman posted:

Especially when that headline is ragebait that has nothing to do with the article's contents but throws more fuel into the alt right dumpster fire

Pretending to like undeveloped games made by clearly exploited Devs To Own The Libs is not the take i expected to see itt, but here we are

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

palindrome posted:

Computer person reading chatgpt output.

"Let's see here... SELECT? ...JOIN?!?! What the gently caress is an INNER, I don't understand any of this" :arghfist::butt:

sql is bad tho. garbage in, drop tables out etc etc

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Yeah there's a few people that are "it's not real AI! (true) therefore it's useless (false)" but they usually come around when they start using it

I've been enjoying using chatgpt to completely redesign my website. What used to be a collection of bare-minimum html pages is now bristling with all kinds of php functionality that frankly I don't even understand, but it works and my website is better off for it.

The best thing about using it to write code is it usually doesn't matter if it makes mistakes because you usually get instant feedback when you run it (especially with webcode)

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Frosted Flake posted:

Also OpenAI now has that code somewhere, if I understand correctly.

You do not. ;)

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
Computer people might need to start training to become ChatGPT technicians. Starting at $45k a year.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

err posted:

Computer people might need to start training to become ChatGPT technicians. Starting at $45k a year.

Yay, that's more than I was making as a computer toucher.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Centrist Committee posted:

I think you could turn this around the other way: the means of production are so advanced and there is so much capital sloshing around that the difference between what people need to live and the rate of profit the imperialist class expects is approaching a rupture. conditions may soon allow for goofy ideas like a solidarity economy to take off, where normal people exchange goods and services at somewhere near their nominal labor cost while the rest of so-called economy implodes chasing the whales hoarding all the money

You'll be completely shocked to learn that one of the most important functions of the IRS is to find out about things like this and turbo-poo poo on them with extreme prejudice.

It's way more illegal than funneling all your money into offshore tax havens.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
AI Whisperer

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Microplastics posted:

Yeah there's a few people that are "it's not real AI! (true) therefore it's useless (false)" but they usually come around when they start using it

I've been enjoying using chatgpt to completely redesign my website. What used to be a collection of bare-minimum html pages is now bristling with all kinds of php functionality that frankly I don't even understand, but it works and my website is better off for it.

The best thing about using it to write code is it usually doesn't matter if it makes mistakes because you usually get instant feedback when you run it (especially with webcode)

I think it's turning into an Elon Musk/Trump situation where some people have to despise something to the point of absurdity because other people like it and it just comes off like olds refusing to use the Tiktoks because annoying kids like it.

It is kind of interesting how the right wing grift circuit had Ben Shapiro and/or that one bearded guy smugly tricking the bot with those word math problems leftists were passing around to prove it was fallible. They just want to prove that the American Human is stronger and smarter than Liberal Robots but I'm not sure why the leftists are joining them in hating perfectly fine technology out of spite.

ChatGPT is a pretty good resource if you take time to work with it and aren't weirdly invested in hating it.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

This better come with a signed certificate with the same name on it.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
counterpoint: it's wrong most of the time and supremely confident in its wrong answer.

Just lmao at the loving lawyer who had chatGPT file a motion and it happily hallucinated a litany of imaginary cases that supported the argument the lawyer wanted it to make, including creating out of whole cloth the full text of an imaginary judges decision on the imaginary case and they notarized it and ... well unsurprisingly the judge that got it blew a gasket.

it's worse than useless because it looks plausable and without in-depth knowledge you can't tell otherwise.

for pointless trivial tasks that a million people have had to google before sure, it'll generally work often enough to get you by. "how i tell ffmpeg to encode avi" is something it can do. "join these tables in sql", sure. "regurgitate the tutorial for a web framework so I don't have to read it" it might even be correct! But people extrapolate that to "it can perform complex tasks reliably" and lol. just lol.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
once you run some code and it looks like it’s doing something correctly, then the code is definitely correct and you never have to think about it again. everybody knows this.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I'm not going to do chatgpt's job for it. If it wants to be used, it had better make itself as ubiquitous as Microsoft Excel.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

brap posted:

once you run some code and it looks like it’s doing something correctly, then the code is definitely correct and you never have to think about it again. everybody knows this.

"My code doesn't work and I don't know why."

"My code works, and I don't know why."

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

You're both hired, welcome aboard!

Oh I forgot to ask, can you tell me how many golf balls can fit inside a school bus?

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

palindrome posted:

Oh I forgot to ask, can you tell me how many golf balls can fit inside a school bus?

"Hey, ChatGPT..."

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Slow News Day posted:

:blessed:

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

palindrome posted:

at least a few hundred

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

alright good answer but, why are manhole covers round?

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

my boss has already fired half the department. all im doing at this point is copy pasting from chatgpt for a few hours straight every day. it's only a matter of time.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Centrist Committee posted:

I think you could turn this around the other way: the means of production are so advanced and there is so much capital sloshing around that the difference between what people need to live and the rate of profit the imperialist class expects is approaching a rupture. conditions may soon allow for goofy ideas like a solidarity economy to take off, where normal people exchange goods and services at somewhere near their nominal labor cost while the rest of so-called economy implodes chasing the whales hoarding all the money

That's an interesting take, thanks for posting. I think you're dead on with bartering re-emerging as a community ideal, which would be awesome.

Xaris posted:

so a few things over seeveral posts here. There is indeed an increasing bifurcation of economy where the focus is on the whales; however, adtech is largely garbage with negative ROI. Just no one wants to peek behind the curtain to find that out because its the modern house-of-cards thats propping up all of the internet web2.0 garbage.

another thing, using people for advertising doesn't really work because of class association: that is, people may be actively swayed against Brand if they see a poor person wearing a Lululemon ad shirt. corpos also know this. There's very limited utility, negative utility even, in using the bottom percentiles to market to the top percentiles

The whole "adtech doesn't work" thing is a generalization that I don't agree with, though plenty of firms do just kind of push money at it, for sure.

As for advertising not working because of class association I will respectfully disagree; you are definitely right that it won't work for every industry or company, but it doesn't have to. A lot, and I mean a lot, of companies have entire arms of marketing that rely on consistent exposure and nothing too complicated beyond that. The idea that this type of exposure is a hobo wearing a Lululemon shirt is kind of short sighted imo.

I respect your opinion it's just hard to not form a nuanced take on these matters when I do this professionally at a very high level and just... like... this is what I see every day in terms of where it's going :shrug: though I completely understand and respect that your average person doesn't want to give the space any credit. I don't either, gently caress advertising, but capitalism isn't really about doing what you love unfortunately, for most people.

The Demilich posted:

I go out of my way to not buy poo poo that is in ads cause ads themselves piss me off.

Ads suck so bad. They also work better than a lot of people want to realize, which is probably the shittiest single thing about them.

atelier morgan posted:

you're not rich so it doesn't matter what you (or any of the rest of us posting in cspam) buy

our dollars are monopolized by food, energy, rent, healthcare, taxes

Yep there is absolutely an element of that, sadly. Advertising to the masses isn't dead yet and certain industries like soda brands, low cost snacks and such will likely never leave the space, but the direction is definitely towards marketing mattering less for most people as their disposable income as a cohort recedes.

Taima has issued a correction as of 10:01 on Jun 3, 2023

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

I go out of my way to not buy poo poo that is in ads cause ads themselves piss me off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

comedyblissoption posted:

my boss has already fired half the department. all im doing at this point is copy pasting from chatgpt for a few hours straight every day. it's only a matter of time.

More time to post glenn tweets :hmmyes: