Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Senethro posted:

Then again, the Aurigan Coalition isn't even canon so why worry i guess?

It is now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Captain Foo posted:

That being said bta cerppcs still gently caress hard so don’t worry about that 8)

The huge collection of different types of PPCs in BTA all being mostly viable for different purposes and builds is honestly kind of amazing to me. Normal PPCs are relatively heat efficient mid-long range mid-level punch, IS ER PPCs are sniper weapons with a notably higher heat cost, Clan ER PPCs are damage-wise the terrifying wrath of the thunder god but produce about as much heat as a sun going supernova, Snubbies are incredibly weight and heat efficient for their output but have severe damage falloff at longer ranges, PPC Shotguns are great critfisher weapons, and this is before you get into the community content or the variety of PPC-adjacent stuff like plasma weapons or the sanctuary worlds' PPC offshoots.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 14:48 on May 25, 2023

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Kanos posted:

The huge collection of different types of PPCs in BTA all being mostly viable for different purposes and builds is honestly kind of amazing to me. Normal PPCs are relatively heat efficient mid-long range mid-level punch, IS ER PPCs are sniper weapons with a notably higher heat cost, Clan ER PPCs are damage-wise the terrifying wrath of the thunder god but produce about as much heat as a sun going supernova, Snubbies are incredibly weight and heat efficient for their output but have severe damage falloff at longer ranges, PPC Shotguns are great critfisher weapons, and this is before you get into the community content or the variety of PPC-adjacent stuff like plasma weapons or the sanctuary worlds' PPC offshoots.

Light PPCs seem bad but i think they do high stab for an energy weapon? And also aoe ppcs…exist

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Clanner PPCs are great fun if you combine them with capacitors to make a gun that can kill god.

Whatever it hits is coming off the mech.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Kanos posted:

A Wraith or P-Hawk with a +10 damage snubbie is an evil backstabber.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Captain Foo posted:

Light PPCs seem bad but i think they do high stab for an energy weapon? And also aoe ppcs…exist

Light PPCs are an extremely niche weapon that basically boils down to being a super long range medium laser with a hunk of stability damage bolted on at the cost of being 3 tons a pop. You can run a weird build with them with a heavy boating a ton of them with a capacitor and an energy master pilot and it's okay, if not amazing.

AOE PPCs....aren't great.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Support PPC array is a fantastic little PPC machine gun.

They also make a Rotary ERPPC if you want to get extra stupid

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

GD_American posted:

Support PPC array is a fantastic little PPC machine gun.

They also make a Rotary ERPPC if you want to get extra stupid

where do you even find these things

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I like the insanity PPC which is so big I couldn't find anything that could actually mount it. It would only fit in a torso slot and only if you didn't have an XL engine or anything else taking up torso slots.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Captain Foo posted:

Mack's Dustball. Extreme west edge of the map. Planetary store has all the weird community content weapons.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
My favorite build in BTA is still the Corsair (75t) that I managed to strap 3 DoublePPCs into along with a capacitor. Just the jankiest frankenmech, it ruled.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Captain Foo posted:

I just want to know where you find non-Vultures. My first heavy was a Geier, then a MKIIP, then a second MKIIP, then a MKIIC

It's hard to complain, they're great, but I want variety damnit :argh:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

GD_American posted:

Mack's Dustball. Extreme west edge of the map. Planetary store has all the weird community content weapons.

lol (using the wiki) i have just discovered improved rotary mrms

lmao

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

The community content stuff is pretty goofy and a lot of it is people just making funny meme weapons because they can.

The Binary PPC is pretty funny, though - it was so overpowered it actually had to be nerfed because a capacitor binary ppc shot hit harder than a heavy gauss rifle.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here
I put a rotary PPC on a Fire Moth.

'twas very silly.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I thought about donating to BTA to get a deliberately bad Groverhaus FrankenMech put in, but figured 20 year old memes just need to die at this point

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

GD_American posted:

I thought about donating to BTA to get a deliberately bad Groverhaus FrankenMech put in, but figured 20 year old memes just need to die at this point

We could have had hollow Gauss rifle rounds filled with bees that had acidic stings, but noooo

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I'm still noodling on an Ostscout LAM, just because I want the most ridiculous scout that can be fielded

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There is a kind of LRM ammo that is called BEES and causes the BEES IN COCKPIT status effect.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

There's a ton of other BPL references too. BTA's s good modpack even if I keep bouncing off it.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
Continuing to cruise around take 5-skull missions in this career campaign. It's fun to just slam lances of assault mechs together, force overwhelming enemies into chokepoints, and pick them off one at a time. Too bad most of my lostech has been destroyed throughout multiple missions so my 'mechs have to get by on sub-standard tech, but that's BattleTech for you.

Realized I've had a regular Highlander all this time so I took it out of storage. Wish I still had the gauss rifle for it but that got destroyed after one mission.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

new BTA patch out. Before you update, load your game and sell all your normal actuators and regular heat sinks. They turned those into unlimited supply items (which means you can't sell them but don't have to buy any).

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

GD_American posted:

new BTA patch out. Before you update, load your game and sell all your normal actuators and regular heat sinks. They turned those into unlimited supply items (which means you can't sell them but don't have to buy any).

👀

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

from the patchnotes:

LRM Artemis IV was double-dipping on its effectiveness, making it FAR too powerful. That's been corrected.

oh, that's why those carriers were so loving good lol

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I just faced three Outworlds assault lances, and my roided-up punchbot Chameleon decapitated five of them. Five turns, five one-punch kills. 2 Salamanders, a Goliath, a Banshee, and a Mackie.

I have no words.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

question about modding in new events: i've made some simple events that work properly if i manually place them in .modtek\Cache\SimGameEventDef , but i can't get it to place them there automatically.

i saw other mods using
code:
    "Manifest": [
        { "Type": "SimGameEventDef", "Path": "events" },
    ]
in mod.json to get events to fire, but they were also all ForcedEvents (timeline events from BEX, flashpoint-related events from The Raid). is there something different i need to put to get them added automatically?

biosterous fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jun 2, 2023

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

biosterous posted:

question about modding in new events: i've made some simple events that work properly if i manually place them in .modtek\Cache\SimGameEventDef , but i can't get it to place them there automatically.

i saw other mods using
code:
    "Manifest": [
        { "Type": "SimGameEventDef", "Path": "events" },
    ]
in mod.json to get events to fire, but they were also all ForcedEvents (timeline events from BEX, flashpoint-related events from The Raid). is there something different i need to put to get them added automatically?

Yeah, just placing them there won't do anything. Follow the method you've already seen other mods do. But look at the tags. The random crew events probably have some tags that filter the situation that sets it off and the timed ones probably have some kind of blacklist tag or lack of situational tags to prevent them from appearing as crew events.

It's been a while, but that's what I can remember off the top of my head. I might be able to look into the files later and see what tags you'd need.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

had the filepath wrong, whoops. the events absolutely do come up if i manually place them in .modtek\Cache\BattleTech_Data\StreamingAssets\data\events , i've had them come up several times. i just have not seen them if i try to get them added via mod magic

although looking again, they are listed in .modtek\Database\database_cache.json , so they might actually be working fine? i probably need to do more testing.

e: one of them just fired, without being manually put in the folder, seems like all is groovy :toot:

e e: i did actually change something, and that's probably what did it? changed it to { "Type": "SimGameEventDef", "Path": "events", "AddToDB": true } instead of just { "Type": "SimGameEventDef", "Path": "events" }

biosterous fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jun 3, 2023

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Getting in to mech stomping since MW5 and Battletech are on gamepass - really enjoying MW5 at the moment but I want to get into Battltech after I wrap the campaign in MW5.

Lots of conflicting advice about Battletech in terms of using mods on the first playthrough of the campaign...Can anyone give their perspectives on vanilla campaign vs mods for a first playthrough?

In MW5 for example I'm quite glad I ended up playing even my very first campaign with some mods (I didn't go full YAML though), especially the Coyote mission mod to give the game some extra variety. But maybe Battletech doesn't have that problem.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Captain Beans posted:

Getting in to mech stomping since MW5 and Battletech are on gamepass - really enjoying MW5 at the moment but I want to get into Battltech after I wrap the campaign in MW5.

Lots of conflicting advice about Battletech in terms of using mods on the first playthrough of the campaign...Can anyone give their perspectives on vanilla campaign vs mods for a first playthrough?

In MW5 for example I'm quite glad I ended up playing even my very first campaign with some mods (I didn't go full YAML though), especially the Coyote mission mod to give the game some extra variety. But maybe Battletech doesn't have that problem.

Battletech is a much better and more well-designed game than MW5.

IMO if you are playing the story campaign, vanilla or just a small selection of QoL mods is best. The story campaign works best when you plow through it -- even the final missions aren't balanced around the player having a max power setup, so it's totally possible to over-level it. The story campaign also dumps money and cool freebies on you to keep the pace up.

After that, playing the career mode is maybe where you want to get into more mods. But even then, IMO the game is perfectly good without the mega-mods that add a zillion more mechs, clan tech, etc. (Personally I dislike the mods with "TTG accurate" rebalance and rules, because IMO the TTG is a worse game than what they made. But I have zero nostalgia for it.)

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
is there a mod that lets you bring more than 4 mechs to a fight?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Grevlek posted:

All of the big 3 will, I believe.

I believe Bigger Drops is still available as a stand-alone mod if you just want lightly modded vanilla. That or Mission Control.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Captain Beans posted:

I havent used any huge mods like bta or anything, most of my mods were to add mechs or vehicles or missions, and some weapon value tweaks and i racked up 1k hours in the first 18 months. Its a good game even with barely anything done to it

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Grevlek posted:

Speaking of, after getting Yet Another Clan Invasion I see weight limits in excess of 400 tons and equipment designed for mechs weighing up to 1000 tons. Is this a bug or are there new much heavier mechs? I haven't encountered any yet.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I would play the campaign the first time through with some minor qol mods and then pick one of the big modpacks for your career play through

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

specific QoL/minor tweak mods i would recommend for a first run:

Crystal Clear (graphics options not available via the in-game menus! the rain particle effect just makes things unclear and hurts my eyes a bit, this removes it)

Colorful Combatants (pirates have more colours, yay, fun)

Pilot Health Popup (so you don't have to remember if this is the first time you've done a pilot hit to someone, or if you've already banged them up)

Better Headlights (it just looks nice)

Battletech QoL by BTNomad (auto-skip the repetitive enter/leave orbit, dock/undock cutscenes, selectively tell your crew to stop warning you about funds/training/repairs)

BTMLColorLOSMod (makes it absolutely clear if you'll be shooting someone's front/side/rear arc when you move)

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

biosterous posted:

specific QoL/minor tweak mods i would recommend for a first run:

Crystal Clear (graphics options not available via the in-game menus! the rain particle effect just makes things unclear and hurts my eyes a bit, this removes it)

Colorful Combatants (pirates have more colours, yay, fun)

Pilot Health Popup (so you don't have to remember if this is the first time you've done a pilot hit to someone, or if you've already banged them up)

Better Headlights (it just looks nice)

Battletech QoL by BTNomad (auto-skip the repetitive enter/leave orbit, dock/undock cutscenes, selectively tell your crew to stop warning you about funds/training/repairs)

BTMLColorLOSMod (makes it absolutely clear if you'll be shooting someone's front/side/rear arc when you move)

Perfect thanks for sharing, and to everyone else

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Ensign Expendable posted:

Speaking of, after getting Yet Another Clan Invasion I see weight limits in excess of 400 tons and equipment designed for mechs weighing up to 1000 tons. Is this a bug or are there new much heavier mechs? I haven't encountered any yet.

There are two mechs that weigh 125 tons; both are Marauder II heroic variants. The gear that scales to 1000 tons is there because gear that normally was for mechs that weighed 80-100 tons would not work on a 125-ton mech.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

And yes, there's canon examples of that gear in tabletop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

God the tripod mechs were dumb. loving dark age