Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I switched from necro to barbarian, didn't really vibe with his lack of survivability at lower levels, and settled on Sorc. Their spells are hitting in ways I was missing with Necro, really enjoying it. Now I just need to figure out how to bring my mana regen way up.

Is there any ways to directly compare a new 2h weapon to the 1h+offhand you have equipped without switching equipment?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

goferchan posted:

Really been having fun with my rogue but haven't had much time to play since it came out, sitting at level 25 now. Tomorrow will be the first day I'm able to truly mainline this poo poo and play for like 12 hours, I can't wait. I do wish we got just one more button for skills-- +1 to skill mods giving you the first rank of a skill is so cool but I never have the room to actually use them!

I suspect this limitation is heavily influenced by controller, where the current number feels just right.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Kaddish posted:

Oh poo poo, equipped but sheathed/not used weapons like a bow on a melee rogue apply their passives don't they? gently caress

Yeah I believe if you're melee the bow DPS doesn't matter but all the other stats on it still apply. That's why the Barb gimmick of equipping 4 weapons is interesting

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I rebound my ability buttons to QWER instead of 1234 and it feels a lot better to me for some reason. Not having to stretch out to hit 3/4 is nice and feels more natural with how my hand is sitting on the keys.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Kaddish posted:

Oh poo poo, equipped but sheathed/not used weapons like a bow on a melee rogue apply their passives don't they? gently caress

Yep, imprinting aspects on a bow is a good play if you're playing melee since the bow is just a stat stick.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

It’s not super clear I don’t feel but every class has a sort of gimmick with skills. It took way too long to figure out the sorcs enchantment skill slots that let you out in two skills and get some rad passives out of it.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

CuddleCryptid posted:

I switched from necro to barbarian, didn't really vibe with his lack of survivability at lower levels, and settled on Sorc. Their spells are hitting in ways I was missing with Necro, really enjoying it. Now I just need to figure out how to bring my mana regen way up.

Is there any ways to directly compare a new 2h weapon to the 1h+offhand you have equipped without switching equipment?

If you figure out something good for mana let me know, it feels very limited so far (lvl 40) to spamming ice shards and doing some regen with Frost bolt when I get poor luck on avalanche procs. Better than chain lightning so far for mana but pretty weak on the spell selection. I've been searching for something they may make a blizz/meteor style poo poo potent but haven't found any legendary affix that suits yet.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I think I've played 80% of the game with no elixir because I keep forgetting to reapply them.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Kaddish posted:

I suspect this limitation is heavily influenced by controller, where the current number feels just right.
Also D2 and D3, which had the same number of skills you could have active at once even before there were console versions. Really, D1 is the outlier.

Who Dat
Dec 13, 2007

:neckbeard: :woop: :downsbravo: :slick:
If you’re on console like me the inventory menu is kind of clunky. I haven’t used any elixirs yet because :effort:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Who Dat posted:

If you’re on console like me the inventory menu is kind of clunky. I haven’t used any elixirs yet because :effort:

bind them to the emote wheel

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

FFT posted:

Also D2 and D3, which had the same number of skills you could have active at once even before there were console versions. Really, D1 is the outlier.

Fair point.

Who Dat posted:

I'm on PC and switch to KBM when doing any extensive inventory work, like the simple act of visiting any vendor.

victrix posted:

Oh poo poo!

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

"15,000 hours of Diablo II isn't that much, dweeb."

Why can't my horse jump over bridges?

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

"15,000 hours of Diablo II isn't that much, dweeb."

FFT posted:

What do you mean by this? D1 and D2 could only have 2 "active" skills at the same time. (You could cheat this in D2 by setting hotkeys and having a mouse with a scroll wheel).

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I’m honestly kinda digging the story. I know it’s all grim dark and all but there’s a lot going on in the world that’s neat.

Act 2 Donan my man I know you recognized it’s hopeless trying to save your son but even if you did a gaping soul stone wound is not gonna be fixable

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

George H.W. oval office posted:

I’m honestly kinda digging the story. I know it’s all grim dark and all but there’s a lot going on in the world that’s neat.

Act 2 Donan my man I know you recognized it’s hopeless trying to save your son but even if you did a gaping soul stone wound is not gonna be fixable

Also i hink they did a great job of just making an atmosphere of post-apocalyptic fantasy. game feels right.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

victrix posted:

Friendly reminder you can track any Aspect location directly from your Codex

It will show you exactly where it is on the world map, go get your toys

Not if you haven't already uncovered it on the world map

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
I'm probably a little more than halfway through the game and I hope that the plot isn't one long manipulation plot.

Mephisto helping us while Lilith's crew are all talking about saving Sanctuary in their terrible Randian way makes me think we're going to gently caress up royally

D4 definitely learned from D3's utter failure to make character deaths have any gravitas.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Making sure I avoid spoilers -

I just want to say that the in-game extended cinematic that served as the release date trailer is the coolest video game cinematic I’ve ever seen.

It just kept getting more awesome.

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem

explosivo posted:

I rebound my ability buttons to QWER instead of 1234 and it feels a lot better to me for some reason. Not having to stretch out to hit 3/4 is nice and feels more natural with how my hand is sitting on the keys.

yeah im using ASDF with potion button on my mouse and then various ui keys around the home row, works a lot better than the number keys

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Jumping off your horse (with the FOMO horn, obviously), turning into a bear, and doing a huge AOE slam that knocks enemies on their asses absolutely rules.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

thats not candy posted:

yeah im using ASDF with potion button on my mouse and then various ui keys around the home row, works a lot better than the number keys

ah jeez putting pots on a mouse button is a good idea, I got all my thumb buttons and middle click as 2-4 and another thumb button is dodge which I totally don't forget exists constantly

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Tiny Timbs posted:

Not if you haven't already uncovered it on the world map

It still gives you the GPS line you can follow directly to the dungeon.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Memnaelar posted:

Are aspects pulled off gear better than the permanent ones you earn from dungeons? It appears to me they are. The legendary aspects I pull off legendary gear seem to have multipliers based on putting them on the "right" sort of gear whereas the codex of power ones don't. Then again, the legendary ones appear to come fixed at a certain power level (based on the item they were on) so I'm not sure how they scale compared to codex ones (which I assume match the level of the gear they're initially applied to?)

Anyone know of a resource to sort through this stuff? Definitely wish the game had a pedia.

As mentioned,
Codex = lowest roll (e.g. 20%-40% crit damage will roll 20%)
Aspect extracted = any roll, could be anywhere in the range. Unlucky goons might still get lowest :v:

But the slot-specific multipliers work the same for both! Reminder don't imprint on weapons until late game, since you'll always be most limited by the materials for imprinting so even though the Codex is free to go nuts, you'll run out of golden donkey scrotum pretty quick. And weapons are replaced so often just to keep up DPS that your lvl 25 legendary will be outclassed by a lvl 28 gold.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
i havent found running out of mats to be an issue, you get a ton from disassembling rares and you always have a full inventory in your 20s

imprint everything all the time every time. codex, aspect whatever.

TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

victrix posted:

Friendly reminder you can track any Aspect location directly from your Codex

It will show you exactly where it is on the world map, go get your toys

Father bless

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

Lister posted:

Also, the writing and some of the quests are clearly influenced by Witcher 3. An NPC used the word "whoreson" which I'd never known until it was said about 200 times in W3.

Yeah feels like a lot of the village fetch quests and open world building material came straight from CD Projekt's script vaults. But with such a big game, it was probably one of the necessities to make it feel alive.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Astryl posted:

What do you mean by this? D1 and D2 could only have 2 "active" skills at the same time. (You could cheat this in D2 by setting hotkeys and having a mouse with a scroll wheel).
Well yeah, hot keys

And the keyboard

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Unfortunately Something Waffle is full and I've had to decline invites. We need another goon clan and to update the OP. Hopefully the clan size and features gets updated soon because it's underwhelming at the moment.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Gearman posted:

It still gives you the GPS line you can follow directly to the dungeon.

I tried left clicking and right clicking on an aspect I needed in the codex and nothing happened. I had to go find the dungeon in an area I hadn't been to before the hard way.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

MrMidnight posted:

Unfortunately Something Waffle is full and I've had to decline invites. We need another goon clan and to update the OP. Hopefully the clan size and features gets updated soon because it's underwhelming at the moment.

You have to wonder why they are so limited. I guess so there isn't a huge number of people in one chat window? All clans do is make a chat, right?

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

CuddleCryptid posted:

You have to wonder why they are so limited. I guess so there isn't a huge number of people in one chat window? All clans do is make a chat, right?

Pretty much. I wish we could at least sort/filter members by class, level, etc. but apparently that was overlooked lol

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

CuddleCryptid posted:

Clans are also account bound rather than character bound, which is probably a lot of back-end complexity.

I’m no programmer, though!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

It’s not super clear I don’t feel but every class has a sort of gimmick with skills. It took way too long to figure out the sorcs enchantment skill slots that let you out in two skills and get some rad passives out of it.

I've had bad luck with the frost nova passive but fireball popping off 5 times in a group and killing everyone has helped a lot

Really wish I could find some mana regen gear tho cuz level 5 skills are just draining me instantly at level 26

site fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jun 3, 2023

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Yeah sorc passives are a huge boost. Getting mastery on world events are way easier now

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Beat the campaign, have opinions.
Story-wise they did pretty good. Silly to still put all of our trust in the same maguffins and I was hoping they'd avoid soulstones, when it came up in A2 I rolled my eyes, when that stone became pivotal to D4 I laughed. Using it on Mephisto obviously the right move, and Nayrelle was right that trusting it to the Horadrim would have been stupid.

Hell looked awesome, but we barely spend time there. Big disappointment there's no random late game content whatsoever. I knew the importance of dungeons and capstones but assumed there would be some way to explore more of of Hell in Diablo. Lots of awesome tilesets exist like those shipwrecks, and no reason to spend time in them.

Would have loved to see more of the prime evils outside of Snake/Crow/Wolf forms. Diablo without Diablo is weird. Was hoping the game would end with us having an open hell portal to explore and new world bosses and such, but I've only encountered Ashava again and again.

Scaling didn't feel bad, but we did swap to T1 eventually. Game is fun and large but I find myself in the old position of going "man it's so close, they just need some time to make more content" and I know that's gonna take years.

InventorOfTrees
Dec 13, 2013

Noted Psycho Poster Panda Clue
He Dreams of Pancakes
And So Should You

victrix posted:

thank you for this

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Wish you could emote wheel unstoppable. Is there an elixir for that, or a way to swap skills? I only need my one "oh poo poo" skill like once a day...

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

goferchan posted:

Really been having fun with my rogue but haven't had much time to play since it came out, sitting at level 25 now. Tomorrow will be the first day I'm able to truly mainline this poo poo and play for like 12 hours, I can't wait. I do wish we got just one more button for skills-- +1 to skill mods giving you the first rank of a skill is so cool but I never have the room to actually use them!

I'm sure I'm going to out myself as dumb by saying this but I kind of agree I'm playing necro right now and I'm on like the 4th skill tree tier and I'm already having to decide whether or not to buy any skills for that tier and instead speccing into passives so that I can get a skill in there from the next tree

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

I hate how the generate resource -> spend resource loop works because it seems like they didn't at all compensate or under-compensated how slow attack speed generators/basic attacks work compared to high attack speed generators.

For example, on a druid, Maul is a slow attack speed cleave, but using it basically ruins the feel of the whole class compared to using something like rock spike. There's nothing to compensate for using the big slow Maul. If you got either much more spirit or got some percentage of base generation for each enemy hit it might feel better. The utility options in the skill tree for maul, the +fortify or the knockdown don't feel like they make up any of the difference. When using maul whenever I get to a generator phase I almost get bored at how slow the generation is. Rock spike feels just about right and I feel more engaged.