Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Pseudoscorpion posted:

I liked it, though not as much as the first which I saw in theaters like four times. Absolute visual feast, we old-school Marvel trash ate good, but also the movie was real dense with plot hooks and there was a lot of cruft that could have easily been cut out to make it a one-part experience. I'm gonna curious to see how they pad out the runtime for the next part considering they could have wrapped up this part nice and neat with another twenty, thirty minutes of movie, max.

When you say plot hole, gotta explain it. To see if it was a subjective expectation or an actual thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Darko posted:

When you say plot hole, gotta explain it. To see if it was a subjective expectation or an actual thing.

They said Plot Hooks

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The main conflict seemed a little contrived if it’s actually real and not Miguel’s weird coping mechanism that he’s forced on everyone. Movie was beautiful but I wasn’t really feeling the actual plot

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

mutantIke posted:

considering what's happening in the ASM comics right now, it's hard not to interpret this movie as a giant middle finger to the Marvel editorial board

i am speechless at that they did to Peter Parker's character

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Can someone explain what’s happening in the comics world for someone who is not even remotely up to date with the comics or any of the drama with the editorial board?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Can someone explain what’s happening in the comics world for someone who is not even remotely up to date with the comics or any of the drama with the editorial board?
Well, you literally asked for it!

About fifteen years or so back, I'm not looking it up, Marvel retconned Peter and MJ's marriage out of existence when Aunt May got shot and Peter made a deal with the devil -- as in, he actually went down to Hell and made an agreement with the devil -- to save her in exchange for his marriage. This was done because something something actual reason, comics writers at the time were sorta surfing a zeitgeist of "oh GOD are we getting old??? I thought we were immune to this poo poo, gently caress gently caress gently caress revert everything back to the status quo when we were 15, maybe that'll fix it, fuuuuuuuck". Move was not terribly popular and Peter and MJ have sorta danced around each other ever since, depending on the writer.

Last guy writing Spider-Man ended a very well recieved run with Peter and MJ, while not remarried, in a committed relationship. New guy takes over, does a six month timeskip, and makes it so Peter and MJ have broken up, Spider-Man is a pariah in the superhero community, MJ has hooked up with some new rando, and they have two children who look to be 5-8 years old. The intent was that this would hook everyone on the mystery of "oh man what happened in the intervening time???", actual result was massive fan backlash because there is such a thing as taking the "ol' Parker luck"/"editorial mandate that Peter Parker can never be happy" thing too far and this was way over the line, and also the rando and the kids were obvious lame ducks who might as well have had I'M GONNA GET RETCONNED OUT OF EXISTENCE painted on their foreheads from their first appearances.

The eventual explanation was given and it was that MJ got sucked into a Something Portal, Peter needed a thingie from the Fantastic Four to save her, rather than asking for it because he is, y'know, a long-time friend of the family, honorary member of the team, and has in fact been on the Four himself multiple times, he decided to break into the Baxter Building and steal it, and then kick the poo poo out of the entire Avengers, including Captain America, when they tried to stop him. But then it turned out that inside the portal was one of those time dilation dealies and it had been years for MJ, and she'd given up on being rescued and formed a relationship with Random Guy, and maybe those were her actual biological kids with him and maybe they were adopted because they were also trapped in the portal, who knows right??????

In either the most recent or one of the most recent issues of Spider-Man, the kids disappeared from reality (I dunno why, I dropped that run like a hot rock along with everyone else), and the comics fandom reacted by celebrating the deaths of two children.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Comic books are the stupidest poo poo.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Comic books rule. If not for them, we wouldn't have Peter Parkedcar.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

CapnAndy posted:

Well, you literally asked for it!

About fifteen years or so back, I'm not looking it up, Marvel retconned Peter and MJ's marriage out of existence when Aunt May got shot and Peter made a deal with the devil -- as in, he actually went down to Hell and made an agreement with the devil -- to save her in exchange for his marriage. This was done because something something actual reason, comics writers at the time were sorta surfing a zeitgeist of "oh GOD are we getting old??? I thought we were immune to this poo poo, gently caress gently caress gently caress revert everything back to the status quo when we were 15, maybe that'll fix it, fuuuuuuuck". Move was not terribly popular and Peter and MJ have sorta danced around each other ever since, depending on the writer.

Last guy writing Spider-Man ended a very well recieved run with Peter and MJ, while not remarried, in a committed relationship. New guy takes over, does a six month timeskip, and makes it so Peter and MJ have broken up, Spider-Man is a pariah in the superhero community, MJ has hooked up with some new rando, and they have two children who look to be 5-8 years old. The intent was that this would hook everyone on the mystery of "oh man what happened in the intervening time???", actual result was massive fan backlash because there is such a thing as taking the "ol' Parker luck"/"editorial mandate that Peter Parker can never be happy" thing too far and this was way over the line, and also the rando and the kids were obvious lame ducks who might as well have had I'M GONNA GET RETCONNED OUT OF EXISTENCE painted on their foreheads from their first appearances.

The eventual explanation was given and it was that MJ got sucked into a Something Portal, Peter needed a thingie from the Fantastic Four to save her, rather than asking for it because he is, y'know, a long-time friend of the family, honorary member of the team, and has in fact been on the Four himself multiple times, he decided to break into the Baxter Building and steal it, and then kick the poo poo out of the entire Avengers, including Captain America, when they tried to stop him. But then it turned out that inside the portal was one of those time dilation dealies and it had been years for MJ, and she'd given up on being rescued and formed a relationship with Random Guy, and maybe those were her actual biological kids with him and maybe they were adopted because they were also trapped in the portal, who knows right??????

In either the most recent or one of the most recent issues of Spider-Man, the kids disappeared from reality (I dunno why, I dropped that run like a hot rock along with everyone else), and the comics fandom reacted by celebrating the deaths of two children.

Don’t forget that they teased ‘the most shocking death in a Spider-Man comic since The Night Gwen Stacy Died’, only for it to be Ms. Marvel, who while being one of the most beloved of Marvel’s recent characters alongside Miles and Spider-Gwen, was barely in the run (having appeared in 12 pages of a 25 issue run before the issue she died) and a lot of people suspect the death is intended solely so she can be resurrected as a mutant with her light powers in time for The Marvels (also co-written by the writer of this run!)

But far more important than the failings of the comics, the movie’s really good.

It was great to see Spider-Ham and Noir back for the Web Warriors, along with Peni in her new comics accurate mecha. Putting them on the back burner makes sense now that we know they’re going to playing a bigger role in Beyond The Spider-Verse. And we also got the new Web Warriors who also are great (with Mayday being the best granted I’m a huge Spider-Girl fan, and Spider-Punk being a close second. And Pavitr and Spider-Byte also amazing. I’m excited to see all of them. I guess technically this film explains how Toomes ended up in the Sonyverse (although not how he got his gear back). Presumably Miguel grabbed him and stuffed him in the go-home machine right after that post credits scene.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook

Communist Thoughts posted:

Considering the length of the film I was surprised when it just abruptly ended what felt like about 30 mins from a pretty standard superhero movie climax
I actually thought it was a joke when it finished

Great animation like I say but i wouldn't recommend because I didn't like the meandering plot and the spider society with a billion spidermen made me realise I'm already bored of multiverse marvel stuff.

But my strong feeling on seeing To Be Continued was first "surely not lmao" then once reality set in i felt like they'd wasted ages of my time

I was the same - the abrupt ending really caught me off guard and the thought the “Miles will return..” thing was a joke and the punchline was gonna be “Right now, to actually end this movie!”

Still had a blast - so many fun moments. Loved the Indian Spider-man and his amazing hair.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
On the plus side, it’s (currently) less than a year until the next one!

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
Ha yeah luckily there was a nerd in the row behind us who stood up right after the ending and announced to everyone that the next movie was coming out in March or something.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

i saw the film. the film is very good

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
One more thing about the comics: The guy who cucked Peter is named Paul and he is built like a loving tank. He has been a massive punchline for comic fans for the past few months

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

hatty posted:

The main conflict seemed a little contrived if it’s actually real and not Miguel’s weird coping mechanism that he’s forced on everyone. Movie was beautiful but I wasn’t really feeling the actual plot

I wonder if Superior Spider-Man would've been a better fit for Miguel's role, slavish devotion to an initial hypothesis has always been Otto's thing more. Unless that's going to be the twist for the third movie

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Really appreciate this movie's writers establishing MCU is actually not 616. Nice to see writers understand the multiverse

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Spacebump posted:

Really appreciate this movie's writers establishing MCU is actually not 616. Nice to see writers understand the multiverse

I got kind of mad when Dr Strange or Spider-man or whatever said the MCU was 616. It was just a whole misunderstanding of the whole point of a multiverse to such a dumb level that I couldn't belive it got filmed.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Darko posted:

I got kind of mad when Dr Strange or Spider-man or whatever said the MCU was 616. It was just a whole misunderstanding of the whole point of a multiverse to such a dumb level that I couldn't belive it got filmed.

It was Mysterio in Far From Home who was just bullshitting about his multiverse stuff. Unless they brought that back in No Way Home? I can’t remember.

Doesn’t Into the Spider-Verse show that Peter B. Is from 616 or am I imagining that?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

MokBa posted:

It was Mysterio in Far From Home who was just bullshitting about his multiverse stuff. Unless they brought that back in No Way Home? I can’t remember.

Doesn’t Into the Spider-Verse show that Peter B. Is from 616 or am I imagining that?

It was alternate universe Christine in Doctor Strange 2.

You aren't imaging that about Peter B but I'm just going to pretend that is retconned to another #.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Holy moly across the spider verse is a great movie. Visually it goes so hard all the time. One of the greatest feats of visual spectacle I have ever seen. The story was also very good. Everything works. It can't be next year fast enough.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

There is no way the second part doesn't get delayed massively.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Gaius Marius posted:

There is no way the second part doesn't get delayed massively.

Why? They've been working on both at the same time.

Saw it a second time today. Still amazing. I also caught a few details I missed before. When Miles goes to Earth 42, you can see sketches of the Prowler's gauntlet over his shoulder in his bedroom while he's talking to his mom.

Codependent Poster fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jun 3, 2023

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I love that Miles-42’s accent is slightly more Hispanic because he’s being raised solely by Rio.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Spacebump posted:

well thank god that snafu got fixed

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

When Miles goes to the wrong universe, it was telegraphed in several different ways. Miguel’s reveal that Miles’ spider was from an alternate universe missing its own Spider-Man. The way they say the machine sends people back to their own dimension “based on their DNA” which was extremely specific. The computer literally shows “EARTH-42” on it when earlier in the film we explicitly see that Miles is from 1610. Gwen going up to Miles’ window while Miles in the room had real Silence-of-the-Lambs-wrong-house. I kept thinking “why are they dragging out this reveal for so long when it’s obvious to every single audience member what happened?”

Then i talked to a friend and he didn’t see it coming at all and was even confused when Miles’ mom didn’t know who Spider-Man was. I guess it’s one of those things that’s easy to miss if you aren’t actively paying attention. I was definitely surprised by Miles-42 being the Prowler, which seemed like an obvious twist-on-the-twist in retrospect.

Maybe the nerdiest thing I’ve ever done in my life was explaining to my girlfriend afterwards the several layers to and history of Donald Glover’s cameo in the movie.

Seriously what a great movie though. I feel like I’m gonna see it two or three more times in the theater which is something I haven’t done in years and years.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I guess I'll just post what I posted in the animation thread

Macaluso posted:

Holy loving poo poo man. There is no hyperbole in what people are saying about Spiderverse. It's incredible. Everything about it, the things it does with animation puts everything else to shame. I'm sitting here just in awe at what I watched.

One thing storywise that I really loved was immediately upon meeting Hobie (Spider Punk) he's 100% on Miles' side, thinks he's great, and he's never not on his side. He even just straight up quits the spider club when they try to imprison Miles. Then of course he's the reason that Gwen is going to be able to save Miles in the next movie at all. The previews seemed to really play up the possible love triangle between Hobie, Miles and Gwen, but the movie never goes further than Miles being a little nervous about Gwen liking him. Which again sort of goes out the window when the two of them meet and Hobie is an instant friend to Miles.

The expanded stuff with Gwen was great too, loved seeing her story. Even the movie the movie is technically about Miles, this one is also pretty equally about Gwen, which I'm glad of because I like her character a lot. I felt like jumping up and down in my seat in that final shot where Gwen was about to head off to save Miles with all the other Spider Friends that Miles made during the course of the movie and last movie (Peni, Spider Noir, and Spiderham are all there. They don't have any speaking roles except for one line from Peni). It felt like seeing all the Avengers together or the portal scene from Endgame. That's how hype it felt

Seeing all the alternate Spider Mans (and villains) was very fun (there are a few live action cameos) and the villain is awesome. What they do with the villain is amazing too, how did they do it?? Christ!!

I'm so so excited for the third one. Seriously Across the Spiderverse just knocks out of the park so hard. There's a million other things I could say about the movie probably but those are the really big things.

Macaluso posted:

The backgrounds were constantly cool and none of the dimensions looked the same because of it. This was especially noticeable when Miles ends up in the wrong universe. They do a lot of showing the world Miles lives in at the beginning, with sweeping shots of the city, and the swinging around segment with Gwen. So when Miles ends up in dimension 42 at the end, when he's running around swinging trying to get home, the viewer can instantly tell something is wrong. The colors aren't right, the vibe of the city isn't right. I mean astute viewers will easily know he throws himself into the wrong dimension anyway because they know the spider isn't from his own. But it's especially clear when he's going through the city and everything is off. Granted it also goes back and forth between him and Gwen and you can see the differences that way too, but I think even if they didn't do that, you would be able to tell that something is wrong after he returns "home"

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

MokBa posted:

Maybe the nerdiest thing I’ve ever done in my life was explaining to my girlfriend afterwards the several layers to and history of Donald Glover’s cameo in the movie.

Lol, my GF had to explain it to me afterwards because she lost her poo poo during that cameo

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
I was very impressed how each spider person really looked like they came from their own universe. Especially Miguel who felt subtly distinct, and Ben who looked so spot on and incredible in every shot. For a joke character constantly mocking that era of the comics, they sure did lovingly nail that art style.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

The Glumslinger posted:

Lol, my GF had to explain it to me afterwards because she lost her poo poo during that cameo

What's the explanation?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

fosborb posted:

What's the explanation?
1) in Homecoming, Glover has a cameo as a street thug that Pete webs to a car. Gliver explains where/what Vulture's plan is, and gives Pete the info he needs because "my nephew goes to that school" [i.e. Miles Morales]
He's not Named as the Prowler but its one of those connect the dots things.

2) After, iirc, Spidey3? ASM2? Crashed, Glover lobbied for himself to be given the role arguing that a modern take on Spidey would include a more diverse actor given the cultural makeup of NYC.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

FilthyImp posted:

1) in Homecoming, Glover has a cameo as a street thug that Pete webs to a car. Gliver explains where/what Vulture's plan is, and gives Pete the info he needs because "my nephew goes to that school" [i.e. Miles Morales]

2) After, iirc, Spidey3? ASM2? Crashed, Glover lobbied for himself to be given the role arguing that a modern take on Spidey would include a more diverse actor given the cultural makeup of NYC.

Also he wasn't a direct inspiration for Miles, but Bendis (Miles' creator) has namedropped Glover as something of an influence. And Glover voiced Miles a couple times in the cartoons.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
drat this movie goes so hard. Did not expect it to triple down on the first movie like this. I do think this one is more drama focused than the humor of Into the spiderverse, but appropriate for a middle part.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I can't believe Jesper the postman is going destroy the multiverse. I thought he was going to be the first-act fodder who gets tossed aside when the real action starts.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Some thoughts:

-Miguel’s warning that breaking cannon breaks the universe does seem to have some truth in that we do see effects in India spider world, and then later he asks Peter B Parker to confirm such events happen and he nodes gravely.

-Gwen’s father quitting his job seems to be a way for fate to change. Her reveal and then powerful love filled speech changes him and maybe changes destiny. This is when she becomes determined that she can help Miles now.

-Miguel is the overbearing spider parent who wants to control all worlds and expect them to follow what he believes is the plan. The foil of course is Miles and Gwen’s dads who want their kids to spread their wings by the end.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

FilthyImp posted:

He's named as the Prowler in Homecoming. It's on Peter's HUD.

I'm surprised I've not seen this mentioned anywhere. Even all those missed details channels like New Rockstars missed it to the point of going out of their way to say he was never named such.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Going to play this at quarter to half speed, as soon as it's for sale, so I can catch all the visuals.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

what was the running jokes about with MIles costume and a bunch asking if he's breathing thru his armpits

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
they asked if he was bleeding through his armpits, because of the red strikes coming from there

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

GateOfD posted:

what was the running jokes about with MIles costume and a bunch asking if he's breathing thru his armpits

I thought that's what it was too, but I realized later in the movie that they were actually saying "bleeding". Because of the red on his costume

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

drat this was insanely good. Fully hyped for part 2, but I'm wondering if Miguel and the Spot will have enough oomph left in their stories to keep the conflict meaningful. Like, you could certainly go into more detail about Miguel, but his arc is so clearly laid out that I can't imagine it'll take another two hours for him to learn to let go of his trauma, stop being a control freak, etc... And the Spot was used perfectly to get to this moment, but it seems almost impossible to extract much more genuine drama out of him without it getting tedious.

I'm kinda expecting the canon-altering stuff to result in some catastrophic situation that leads to the classic comic book "everyone has to team up to face the new threat" thing, but I have no idea what Spidey villains they could actually use for that. The cosmic-scale threats are usually more general Marvel material and I dunno if they'd actually be able to use any of it.