Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Harik posted:

which one, the scam company or the idiot who submitted a motion to a judge filled with hallucinated cases?

the latter has a hearing to explain why they shouldn't be disbarred on the 8th.

It would be incredible if their presentation was written by ChatGPT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 73 days!
so how many landlords is this cesspit harboring? show of hands

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Ihmemies posted:

I have one 41,5m2 apartment, rent is 780€. I have to pay 150€ for maintenance, then some insurance, so I can deduct those. I pay 30% tax from rental income so maybe 620€ x 0,7 =around 430€ net monthly. 5200€ yearly after taxes.

Then I have to renovate once in a while, now it required new oven, dishwasher and fridge around 1500-2000€. New vinyl floor is 1000€. Some paint etc… of course I can deduct those in taxes so I get a 30% “discount” that way. But at least in Finland rental properties are not a goldmine.

Point is that you don’t have all in one basket. Some apartments, stock, etf’s etc so you won’t lose everything in one go if something happens.

Previous tenant lived there for 13 years so he paid over 100 000€ in rent. It’s not a lot, but it’s something.

E: if the value of apartment is 200k, and I get 5200€ yearly, it’s a 2,6% yearly profit. You can get way more than 2,6% from many other things. Of course if I sell the apt some day and it’s value has increased, I can make some extra profit.

btw can you chainprobe this oval office please

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

im going to destroy finland

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Ihmemies posted:

I have one 41,5m2 apartment, rent is 780€. I have to pay 150€ for maintenance, then some insurance, so I can deduct those. I pay 30% tax from rental income so maybe 620€ x 0,7 =around 430€ net monthly. 5200€ yearly after taxes.

Then I have to renovate once in a while, now it required new oven, dishwasher and fridge around 1500-2000€. New vinyl floor is 1000€. Some paint etc… of course I can deduct those in taxes so I get a 30% “discount” that way. But at least in Finland rental properties are not a goldmine.

Point is that you don’t have all in one basket. Some apartments, stock, etf’s etc so you won’t lose everything in one go if something happens.

Previous tenant lived there for 13 years so he paid over 100 000€ in rent. It’s not a lot, but it’s something.

E: if the value of apartment is 200k, and I get 5200€ yearly, it’s a 2,6% yearly profit. You can get way more than 2,6% from many other things. Of course if I sell the apt some day and it’s value has increased, I can make some extra profit.

lmao 800 euros for a single-room apartment, that's shameless.
hey how much of that 41.5m² is corridor space

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Reading through this made me a lot angrier than I expected.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

drat this thread is bad on the weekend. Anyway this isn't the place to talk about how being a landlord just costs too much these days.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Mr Hootington posted:

Any of you laid off yet due to this bullshit?

no but job applications I’ve been filling out have various versions of “powered by AI” in their stock emails so might as well be

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Mao will return.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Nonsense posted:

Mao will return.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Vox Nihili posted:

drat this thread is bad on the weekend. Anyway this isn't the place to talk about how being a landlord just costs too much these days.

Told you it was a poisoned chalice

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Nonsense posted:

Mao will return.

maoism third-worldism is the light

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

the fact that ai doesn’t “know” if it’s correct yes is a big red flag

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Centrist Committee posted:

no but job applications I’ve been filling out have various versions of “powered by AI” in their stock emails so might as well be

Yeah I'm seeing more AI disclaimers in announcements and emails. Kinda scary.

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 73 days!

Nonsense posted:

Mao will return.

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 73 days!

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
im also a landlord...

... to myself

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Just lmao that companies can make more money by making shows or movies and never airing them or destroying them after a limited run. Thank you tax write offs.
https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1664735476681527297?t=mD82SV6ezfRolFWZQ1qQTQ&s=19

Mr Hootington has issued a correction as of 21:13 on Jun 3, 2023

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Mr Hootington posted:

Just lmao that companies can make more money by making shies or movies and never airing them or destroying them after a limited run. Thank you tax write offs.
https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1664735476681527297?t=mD82SV6ezfRolFWZQ1qQTQ&s=19
probably tis for the best

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
have a great Saturday

https://twitter.com/uelanda_m/status/1664984837613035521?t=YRCrWoddV2eVfqpwP_lQdA&s=19

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Mr Hootington posted:

Just lmao that companies can make more money by making shows or movies and never airing them or destroying them after a limited run. Thank you tax write offs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZahYy6c5_E

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1665054489701908481

indian pete buttigieg counterpart had an oopsie.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

this is a horrible situation but Ebon Sledge sounds like a sith lord

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

croup coughfield posted:

so how many landlords is this cesspit harboring? show of hands

Turn on your monitor.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Mr Hootington posted:

Triple sulk explaining why all computer nerds need to be *clears throat* downsized.

yep. time to get a real job!

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

The market has spoken. Nothing we can do, sorry!

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

RadiRoot posted:

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1665054489701908481

indian pete buttigieg counterpart had an oopsie.

geez, how does pete find the time to fly to india with all the thinking he is doing?!?!??!

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN
Aug 12, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

can any CSPAM landlords answer how they would handle this?

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Please stop posting my LinkedIn profile photo without permission.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

how long has private equity been a thing? i feel like i only started hearing about it 5-10 years ago

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

err posted:

can any CSPAM landlords answer how they would handle this?

Teach them to code in ChatGPT? :thunk:

actionjackson posted:

how long has private equity been a thing? i feel like i only started hearing about it 5-10 years ago

It started being 'a thing' in the late 1970s/early 1980s (see Elliott Management, KKR with RJR Nabisco, T. Boone Pickens, Carl Icahn, etc.)

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

actionjackson posted:

I remember as a kid reading jokes about 80s era corporate raiders in the '90s, and Wikipedia pegs the practice as having started in the 60s or 70s. It got rebranded in the 90s as 'activist shareholding' apparently and then as private equity practices as I expect somebody told the executives that 'activists' get put on FBI watch lists.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
am i the only one that has never ordered a doordash/grubhub/foodrabbit/eat24/foodiebot/whatever? literally, no joke, at least a third of the people in my apartment building are getting doordash for starbucks coffee(!!) in the morning, lunch, and dinner at all hours of the day, and i know because my building is super confusing and they always come to my door first so i'm pretty much redirecting half dozen doordashers every day

i genuinely do not understand delivery brain. i refuse to

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Xaris posted:

am i the only one that has never ordered a doordash/grubhub/foodrabbit/eat24/foodiebot/whatever? literally, no joke, at least a third of the people in my apartment building are getting doordash for starbucks coffee(!!) in the morning, lunch, and dinner at all hours of the day, and i know because my building is super confusing and they always come to my door first so i'm pretty much redirecting half dozen doordashers every day

I haven't either. I live in a rural county near a small university town, so I doubt Doordash or Grubhub even comes out my way.

e: But yeah, I don't want to support "gig economy" exploitation either.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald has issued a correction as of 22:13 on Jun 3, 2023

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

actionjackson posted:

the article actually explains how private equity became the new rehabilitated name for corporate raiders

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

ah ok thanks

Xaris posted:

nope, never, i refuse to support that gig economy horseshit. on the rare occasions i eat out i just, you know, eat out or pick up something