Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
Very interested in the KTM 690 vs XSR700 discussion. I am very interested in the 690 SMC. Not for commuting or distance or smoothness but fun level, handling and track. Interested in the comment about the MT07 being faster in back to back turns.

Congrats on the bike, looks amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Nitrox posted:

Congrats! Is the gauge puck visible in direct sunlight?
Yeah, no issues.

Vino
Aug 11, 2010
It was a few pages ago but I just got the Kawasaki Versys X. Thanks to people ITT who helped!

(Reason no gear and dog nearby is the engine was off and I wheeled it out in neutral to take the photo.)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

nice, bad boy brad got a better bike

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
That's a good rear end dog.

Vino
Aug 11, 2010
I might regret buying the bike but I won't regret adopting the dog. :smugdog:

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Sagebrush posted:

nice, bad boy brad got a better bike

Savage

ant mouth
Oct 28, 2007
I have a 2019 690 smc r that I want to replace. I am looking to compromise on a little on agility in an effort to gain comfort. Commuting isn't a concern and more emphasis should be on fun/handling while having a better seat and a little wind protection. I like all the rider aids that 690 has and would like to continue having those (abs/cornering abs/tc/etc.). I was looking at the mt10 and s1000r as they tick a lot of boxes, especially the mt10 for the price, but don't know if I'd ever shift beyond 3rd on the street. I stopped in the ducati dealership on my lunch break this week and sat on the supersport s. I didn't ride it, but seems like it fits the bill: usable power, adjustable windscreen, all the rider aids, slipper clutch, and good suspension. The issue is that I can get one used for the same price as a new mt10.

Also checked out the s1000xr (very comfortable, weight down low), multistrada 1260 s (way too big), and Tracer GT (instrument cluster that looks like a muppet face). They are probably the most rational decision, but I'm not sure I am ready for a dad sport bike just yet.

ant mouth fucked around with this message at 21:47 on May 21, 2023

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I assume you’ve investigated sticking a windscreen on the smc? And I’m sure there’s a seat upgrad route there for it.

ant mouth
Oct 28, 2007

Russian Bear posted:

I assume you’ve investigated sticking a windscreen on the smc? And I’m sure there’s a seat upgrad route there for it.

I have the seat concepts seat and it bought me maybe another half hour. I went on a group ride this past wednesday, rode pretty hard for two hours, and was walking like a cowboy on Thursday.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Personally i wasn't a fan of the Ducati Supersport. I forgot most of the details. But what surprised me most - in a negative way - was the engine. It's a reasonably sized V-twin. In comparison to a Duke 890r (p2 of course), an SV650 or a Ducati Monster from pre-2020, the engine felt grumbly, excessively loud, and essentially very rough/rattly and not at ease below 5000ish rpm.
IIRC it was also VERY warm.

Meanwhile, all those others are completely fine if you ask them to putter around in slow traffic. The Duke 890r is more high strung than the Ducati Supersport, but its engine was a LOT better behaved in situations where you do not want to rev up your bike until about half the redline rpm. As far as i could judge, the Duke also handled better. I absolutely loved it. Perhaps the seat was a bit hard, and the suspension too, but i found it to be completely acceptable. To me, it was WAY too much bike for my type of riding.

The Supersport *is* a very purdy bike, and it handled pretty drat well as far as i could judge in a group test ride event on public roads. It is also more comfortable than a SMC-R but that's not a high bar to reach.

LimaBiker fucked around with this message at 21:31 on May 21, 2023

ant mouth
Oct 28, 2007
Thanks for the insight. I'll give the 890 a look too. I kind of passed it over because it seemed peak KTM... totally unlike my 700cc thumper. Serious cognitive dissonance on that.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

ant mouth posted:

I have a 2019 690 smc r that I want to replace. I am looking to compromise on a little on agility in an effort to gain comfort. Commuting isn't a concern and more emphasis should be on fun/handling while having a better seat and a little wind protection. I like all the rider aids that 690 has and would like to continue having those (abs/cornering abs/tc/etc.). I was looking at the mt10 and s1000r as they tick a lot of boxes, especially the mt10 for the price, but don't know if I'd ever shift beyond 3rd on the street. I stopped in the ducati dealership on my lunch break this week and sat on the supersport s. I didn't ride it, but seems like it fits the bill: usable power, adjustable windscreen, all the rider aids, slipper clutch, and good suspension. The issue is that I can get one used for the same price as a new mt10.

Also checked out the s1000xr (very comfortable, weight down low), multistrada 1260 s (way too big), and Tracer GT (instrument cluster that looks like a muppet face). They are probably the most rational decision, but I'm not sure I am ready for a dad sport bike just yet.

MT09-SP perhaps?

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

My buddy loves his S1000R. You could look at a Tuono V4?

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Finger Prince posted:

MT09-SP perhaps?

Will vouch for, great bike that I haven't regretted getting for a second.

ant mouth
Oct 28, 2007

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Will vouch for, great bike that I haven't regretted getting for a second.

How is the throttle/fueling on it? Is it less abrupt and snatchy than previous gens? Looks like they are widely popular because the nearest one to Portland is up passed Seattle followed by Sacramento.

I've heard great things about the ride and power of the tuono. I've only had two anecdotal experiences with them: 1) Trying to help a random guy on the street get it started again after it died on him. 2) Talked with a guy at a turn off on one of the local twisty roads and he said he never shifted passed second on the entire stretch.

ant mouth fucked around with this message at 18:58 on May 22, 2023

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

https://2wheeldynoworks.com/ specializes in reflashing yamaha ecus to get rid of the snatchy maintenance throttle. You have to wait the shipping time back and forth though.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

GriszledMelkaba posted:

https://2wheeldynoworks.com/ specializes in reflashing yamaha ecus to get rid of the snatchy maintenance throttle. You have to wait the shipping time back and forth though.

Oh hey I took my MT09 there after moving up here and they did a great job flashing for my full termi. They come very well regarded locally at least.

ant mouth
Oct 28, 2007
I checked out the 890, Tuono, and MT10. The 890 would be the best bike for how I ride and what I am looking for, but I have reservations about a CFMOTO KTM. Seems like there are some pretty common issues that crop up. They are known and generally covered by warranty but I'd rather not deal with that. The Tuono is by far the sportiest with the highest rearsets and most forward position of the bunch. It fit well, but the body position is pretty locked in and I want more comfort. The MT10 felt great. It's top on the list. However, a wild card entered into the equation: the Super Duke R. As much as I don't want to like it, it felt great. To top it off, there are some good deals locally to where, at least short term, I'd save a good chunk of money over a 2022+ MT10. I'd probably save more money long term with the Yamaha though.

2Fast2Nutricious
Oct 4, 2020

I wanted to get back into riding so I bought a blue suzuki gsx-8s. It's arriving in a couple of weeks.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

not dead yet posted:

I wanted to get back into riding so I bought a blue suzuki gsx-8s. It's arriving in a couple of weeks.

Nice! Congrats! MCN recently did a comparo with the Hornet and I like how they describe it. I think they look pretty slick too, though I bemoan the loss of the inline 4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppC31wW-KsE

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Bro and I are thinking of getting a bike with knobby tires and long suspension travel. None of us have any real experience off the pavement, though I at least have fond memories of zipping around Bali for a month on a rented 125 some 20 years ago. Both of us are moderately overweight 40-something men around 180+cm tall. Off road riding here is illegal, but there are lots of little gravel roads and logging trails that can be explored, so that's the probable use case for such a bike. We're looking for something road legal and preferably pretty cheap, like 2-3K. There's a few plated dirt bikes with 450cc engines available, whether Yamaha, Honda or Husqvarna/Husaberg, but looking at the maintenance intervals of those they just seem too extreme, also probably way too much bike for the intended riders. That leaves small dual sports, or the larger dual sport thumpers. While the TW200 was sadly never sold in Sweden (at least there's none available) there's the DRZ400 (usually cost 4K when road legal though), KLX250 the WR250R in the former category. The CRF300L looks nice but too new and expensive.
There's the usual late 90's/early 00's suspects available in the Japanese 600-ish cc thumper category. Both bro and I are coming at this completely ignorant of what we like, want or need. Bro thinks he wants a somewhat powerful engine (for more fun), I think I want lower weight (for more fun). None of us know what we're talking about. Advice from experience would be appreciated.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

A drz400, or a dr350/650 would probably be perfect for your use case. There is also the Honda XR650L that might be in your price range as well. Not sure if all of those were sold in Sweden or not though, sadly

Things like the KLX300 and WR250 are probably also about perfect for that but are new enough that they’re probably out of the price range.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
I've ridden a lot on gravel roads here in Norway and some in Sweden, I started out on a 93 xl600v transalp that I used for everything. I'd say a 200kg bike invites drama easier on gravel than a lighter bike, simply by there being more of it sliding around when poo poo hits fan. You note it the most when the front or rear slides sideways on looser stuff or having to slow down suddenly when that turn on the gravel road was much tighter than expected. the v-twin engine is super easy to maintain, I learned to wrench bikes on it. Good power and can chug along at low rpm. I had mine for 60000km from 82k km to 145k km, most involved thing I needed to do was changing the regulator and rectifier.

There is a gaggle of 600cc single 180ish kg 90s bikes, the dr600, nx650, xt600, klr 650 and xt660r. These are less of a handfull to handle than the 200kg bikes, but they're still a lot of mass to control at times.

Of the lighter ones you don't have that many. the dr350 was mentioned. there is also the xt350. the klx250 and the rarer XG250

The biased opinion I have is that of the light 90s bikes the best one is the Honda nx 250. 134kg wet. water cooled, 12k km service intervals on everything, el start, enough power to run heated grips, gps and heated visor. 9l tank so around 200km range. They can be hard to find though, since they are usually bought, kept and horded. My brother has owned 3(currently he has 2, I also have 1) of the 60ish left of the road on Norway.
I've ridden mine 42000km.

Any 90s bike will need some love though, rear dampers might have started to sag, and parts availability can be a little scarce on specific parts.

They're still a bit of bike to manhandle though snow

A lot of Drz400 bikes here in scandinavia has been through a million freshly licenced hooligans though, so try to find one with low verifiable mileage and few owners.

Supradog fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jun 4, 2023

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
There's a cheap 2001 yamaha tt600r for sale locally. 29kW, 155kg wet weight according to the DMW. Terrible idea? (The seller claims it needs new tires and a fork job)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Not a good idea imo, they are insanely heavy and primitive for what they are

I've also never seen one that wasn't treated like absolute poo poo but that might just be nz where trail bike = maintenance free

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I'm moving my youngest kid up from his current KLX140 to the KLX300 I already have.
Still, I'll need to get another bike for kid #2 who is currently riding that 300.
We are mostly dune and desert riding all the time, so power is important. It's actually the #1 reason for wanting to ditch the 140 - just not a good sand bike.
Any recommendations for a 250-450cc bike from the last few years that has electric start and weighs as little as possible?
Wouldn't mind another KX250 or a KX450 for parts commonality but I'm not sure when they started offering estart on the lighter MC bikes.
Reliability is a big concern, too. Do any of the Japanese makers stand out among the rest?
(Not really looking at other makes, I guess)

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Invalido posted:

Bro and I are thinking of getting a bike with knobby tires and long suspension travel. None of us have any real experience off the pavement, though I at least have fond memories of zipping around Bali for a month on a rented 125 some 20 years ago. Both of us are moderately overweight 40-something men around 180+cm tall. Off road riding here is illegal, but there are lots of little gravel roads and logging trails that can be explored, so that's the probable use case for such a bike. We're looking for something road legal and preferably pretty cheap, like 2-3K. There's a few plated dirt bikes with 450cc engines available, whether Yamaha, Honda or Husqvarna/Husaberg, but looking at the maintenance intervals of those they just seem too extreme, also probably way too much bike for the intended riders. That leaves small dual sports, or the larger dual sport thumpers. While the TW200 was sadly never sold in Sweden (at least there's none available) there's the DRZ400 (usually cost 4K when road legal though), KLX250 the WR250R in the former category. The CRF300L looks nice but too new and expensive.
There's the usual late 90's/early 00's suspects available in the Japanese 600-ish cc thumper category. Both bro and I are coming at this completely ignorant of what we like, want or need. Bro thinks he wants a somewhat powerful engine (for more fun), I think I want lower weight (for more fun). None of us know what we're talking about. Advice from experience would be appreciated.

What kind of off-road riding?

TotalLossBrain posted:

I'm moving my youngest kid up from his current KLX140 to the KLX300 I already have.
Still, I'll need to get another bike for kid #2 who is currently riding that 300.
We are mostly dune and desert riding all the time, so power is important. It's actually the #1 reason for wanting to ditch the 140 - just not a good sand bike.
Any recommendations for a 250-450cc bike from the last few years that has electric start and weighs as little as possible?
Wouldn't mind another KX250 or a KX450 for parts commonality but I'm not sure when they started offering estart on the lighter MC bikes.
Reliability is a big concern, too. Do any of the Japanese makers stand out among the rest?
(Not really looking at other makes, I guess)

2021 KX250 has e start. I don't know of any real differences in reliability among the japanese dirt bikes so I'd just get a kawi for parts commonality.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Yeah I have the 2022 KX250, very nice bike. I got a nice deal on it for $5999 new.
I'll be prepping that KLX140 bike and a 2005 Civic Hybrid I don't drive anymore for sale.
I'm hoping to scrape $5k together and see what I find. I've been looking at FB marketplace and CL over the past couple of weeks. Used bike prices are definitely coming down and availability is going up.
Of course that will work against me in selling, but what can you do.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I would avoid the new gen Honda unicam engines but that's about it

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Slavvy posted:

I would avoid the new gen Honda unicam engines but that's about it

I remember you describing this issue at length. Based on my budget, i think I'm looking at 250cc-450cc 4T bikes 2015-2019 so I don't think that particular issue will come up.

I'm looking particularly hard for a plated bike :pervert:

TotalLossBrain fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jun 8, 2023

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Wr450 imo

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Slavvy posted:

Wr450 imo

US was trash and never got it plated.

e: there are workarounds but if you want a bike that's guaranteed not to get unplated at some point then you need one of the euro bikes or an older japanese bike.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
My continuing search for a new commuter is pretty much down to two bikes: Z400 and MT-03. My first on road bike ever when I was a teenager was an old KZ400, so there's a certain emotional response to the Z400. Also I like riding it and it fits me well. On the other hand, the MT-03 fits even better, feels better put together, and is generally "good" feeling. I wish it had a slightly higher comfortable cruising speed on the highway, but it's not really for the highway so meh. My question then is does anyone have good long term reliability information for these bikes?

I mean, I still might find something else if the right deal comes up, but I think that pretty soon I'll finally make up my stupid mind and bring a little bike home.

Also, good call on the Motoguzzi advice. I loved riding it - it felt good, it sounded good, it rode good. And then when I came to a stoplight my knees basically caught fire. Good bullet dodged there - not a Vegas bike for sure.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Mt03 are pretty bulletproof, very typical japanese design

Z400 is still too new to judge but from what I've seen of them there's no reason to expect any surprises

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

I wanna finally learn how to clutch-up correctly and do wheelies right.

I also don't want to ruin the brand new bike I just bought. I can chase power wheelies all day but that's not what I'm looking to get good at.

What's a good platform to learn on that I won't cry if I drop it in a remote parking lot at 2am? Do I buy a street legal dirtbike? a grom? somebody's ratted out 600 with a dubious title? Start hanging out with the 12 o'clock boys as a chubby 33 year old white guy? I have no easy access to offroading that allows dirtbikes, so actual cheap dirtbike is probably out.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I wouldn’t buy a whole other bike just for wheelie practice, but if you do, cheap dirt bike is the actual answer, unfortunately.

I wouldn’t start on a 600 sportbike, they make no torque and have to be revved to the moon generally to wheelie

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Beve Stuscemi posted:

I wouldn’t buy a whole other bike just for wheelie practice, but if you do, cheap dirt bike is the actual answer, unfortunately.

I wouldn’t start on a 600 sportbike, they make no torque and have to be revved to the moon generally to wheelie

That's fair, I just figured I see a ton of them being stunted, but that's probably because of big rear sprockets.

I just know I'd rather find some $1500 shitbike and then drop it 10 times and resell it for $1500 than drop this tuono once and pay the same amount for new plastic and levers. :shrug:

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Voting for this wheelie practice bike:

https://www.facebook.com/reel/567867408787466?mibextid=xO1PvT&s=yWDuG2&fs=e

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Mr. Wiggles posted:

My continuing search for a new commuter is pretty much down to two bikes: Z400 and MT-03. My first on road bike ever when I was a teenager was an old KZ400, so there's a certain emotional response to the Z400. Also I like riding it and it fits me well. On the other hand, the MT-03 fits even better, feels better put together, and is generally "good" feeling. I wish it had a slightly higher comfortable cruising speed on the highway, but it's not really for the highway so meh. My question then is does anyone have good long term reliability information for these bikes?

I mean, I still might find something else if the right deal comes up, but I think that pretty soon I'll finally make up my stupid mind and bring a little bike home.

Also, good call on the Motoguzzi advice. I loved riding it - it felt good, it sounded good, it rode good. And then when I came to a stoplight my knees basically caught fire. Good bullet dodged there - not a Vegas bike for sure.

Join the MT03 gang and braap around hitting 11k on the tach.