Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I'm more interested in the Kurvtiz part of the story because I've already made up my mind on the IP stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

I present a new villain:

https://twitter.com/moreelen/status/1221409828498739201?t=sRQyeVemUABCJ3toh76nRQ&s=19
https://twitter.com/moreelen/status/1221409845242449920?t=IAD7fAsrF9CG5aW2Hil9HA&s=19

by all accounts a nice lady outside of these tweets. but man, they are hilarious

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Harry is many things, but generic is not one of them

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’m not gonna get mad about some dumb poo poo from literally three and a half years ago

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

What a boring rear end idea for a game.

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

There's a post to be written about the greater tendency of white women othering male whiteness and setting themselves at a remove from the whole thing, the idealization of cottagecore amongst younger people as a way to not have to grapple with the mending of the world as it is or the amount of effort it takes to live in a rural environment. I had a stint in farming and it's not easy!

but I'm not writing that post and neither should anyone. it's just funny lol. also I didn't know it was old when it was getting passed around recently

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I don't have an issue with the sentiment, I think she's just bad at game ideas and is kinda misrepresenting that genre.

Like if you punch in #cozygames in Tiktok, most of the games actually have something to say and aren't just twee cottagecore stuff.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Lmao at the insecure pettiness of dredging up some lady’s prosaic tweet from fuckin 2020 for communal mockery just because she gently ribbed your favorite video game

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
The legal action is ongoing, right? So I guess it might not be advisable tactically for any of the sides to admit to some fault since it will be used against them in court. Though I dunno if they would be quite different once that stuff is over.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

So I get that someone who looks at Disco Elysium and wishes it was just as good but more comfy is missing the point, but ultimately they're just looking for a different kind of game and that is completely fine and not at all worthy of mockery.

But on top of that I think there might actually be some insight there- the absolute disaster of a middle aged white man that Harry is is a more comfortable character than it first seems. A "grizzled detective" living with regrets and a drinking problem is an archetype not because it's inherently challenging, but because there's something satisfying about it. There's an indulgence and aesthetic appeal in wallowing in the despair. It is the little witch in a forest for some audiences. The tweet is actually kind of insightful about that.

Of course Harry takes that appealing noir archetype with its surface level nuance and slams it through the floor of patheticness and out the other side in an unrecognizable gory disaster. Harry is better than the archetype and has a great deal of depth. But even if that's the part that has left an impression on all of us, he's still coming from a generic place, and that's an interesting thing to remember.

If you didn't know where it was going I could see how Disco Elysium would look like a funny noir game at first. Sure Harry wakes up in an incredibly undignified state, but that's because this is a comedy, right? He's a middle aged white guy with a drinking problem and regrets. This is comfortable and familiar.

Of course there ends up being a lot more to it, but it's an issue of degree not type. Harry just goes further.

Imagining a game "like Disco Elysium" but a little witch in a forest seems absurd if "like Disco Elysium" means having insight into the complex interactions of social and economic systems and their tragic effects on individuals, but if "like Disco Elysium" means "well executed example of a genre" it makes a lot more sense.

Someone in the process of playing Disco Elysium who thinks it's just a well executed gritty detective story does not deserve mockery three years later.

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

drive your plow over the bones of the dead could form the basis of a pretty good adventure game. it has an old lady protag and cottages

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
“He is like this because he’s sad about a girl” does seem somewhat underwhelming and generic when it first comes to light tbh. But then of course the game takes it to some fantastic places

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Escobarbarian posted:

“He is like this because he’s sad about a girl” does seem somewhat underwhelming and generic when it first comes to light tbh. But then of course the game takes it to some fantastic places

Yeah I do remember being disappointed by this at first

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

I do wish there was less media about cops in general, but cops are just great story vehicles. You get a whole bunch of poo poo for free with them that you’d have to laboriously justify with anyone else, slowing down your entry into the plot.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

Ramie posted:

also I didn't know it was old when it was getting passed around recently

not necessarily related to DE, but might be worth asking why someone was dredging up an old post in the first place. online necromancers are like line dancers - distracting, but not necessarily relevant?

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
This game completely bounced off my radar because of its surface-level details, and then I tried it and put it off for a year again because I hit the "sad about a girl" plot. The game makes excellent use of its own setup, and I feel the choices are entirely justified, but I had to get spoiled about Kim's sexuality before I was willing to give the game a fair shake, and I'm not surprised if that's the case for other queer people.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Owned

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I'm not sure if I should spoil the underground. Also not sure what lgbtq+ folks think about it.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
As an LGBT folk, Harry's curiosity about the underground and interactions with the Smoker were loving amazing. Everything about it. All of it.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Glimpse posted:

I do wish there was less media about cops in general, but cops are just great story vehicles. You get a whole bunch of poo poo for free with them that you’d have to laboriously justify with anyone else, slowing down your entry into the plot.

It sucks and it's mostly because American Cops dominate the genre and societal ideal of what a "cop" is in the real world. Even worse, we've completely taken over other countries traditional ideas of policing by exporting police systems and training like "Killology". So even trying to get around "ACAB" by basing it in another country is less useful.

I did like how Sacred and Terrible Air partially got around this by having the core protagonists be a group that contains only one cop, and by also having their goal be almost completely extra-judicial and extra-legal. Only Tereesz is a cop and even then it's only barely as an excuse to keep investigating a decades old cold case.

Outside of that, having you world be sci-fi/alt-history/retro-futurist alt-historical sci-fi at least gives you the room to set a world where the core conflict of the game wouldn't just be solved by the cops rolling into town, arresting every person striking in front of the gates, killing anyone who resisted, pinning the death on poor Leo, and then for fun torching the fishing village on the way out of town.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

GlyphGryph posted:

As an LGBT folk, Harry's curiosity about the underground and interactions with the Smoker were loving amazing. Everything about it. All of it.

Also his interactions with Kim after internalizing the thought were fun

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I don't think I would have ever touched Disco Elysium if it didn't have the reputation it does. A cop who is capital D Divorced, and with a history of alcoholism and toxic behavior, is the absolute last thing I want to roleplay as. The game absolutely makes it work and I can't imagine telling the same story without those details, but getting to that point is still a hard sell.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
I blind bought it on release day for the name Disco Elysium alone, which sounds cool, and imaginative, and had it been called No Truce With The Furies perhaps I would have passed 🙃

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

GlyphGryph posted:

Harry's total inability to comprehend his increasingly apparent latent bisexuality was captured perfectly, no notes.

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Jun 5, 2023

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts

Fruits of the sea posted:

I'm not sure if I should spoil the underground. Also not sure what lgbtq+ folks think about it.

No straight person thinks about the homo-sexual underground for eight hours at a time.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

my dad posted:

I'll have to sit down and actually think this one through, but I'll answer when I find the time for it sometime this week.

The week's been weird and busy, so I never got around to doing this, apologies. Haven't forgotten about it.

Oh, just noticed this one.

UP AND ADAM posted:

Yeah, you sound really uncynical. Don't mind that message.

Don't conflate cynicism with burning, undying hatred.

armpit_enjoyer posted:

No straight person thinks about the homo-sexual underground for eight hours at a time.

Outside of weird circumstances like learning that someone is spreading rumors about your sexuality to try to get the local fash to murder you, probably not, yeah. :v:

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

old old world homosexual underground, where are you now?

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

GlyphGryph posted:

https://twitter.com/bonkey_bong/status/1662945474108702720?t=4JTj5p4FllqHwFNsXTVPjw&s=19

https://twitter.com/backwards_dance/status/1662953787307302914?t=0EwYw6jD31rKljSzGFD5fQ&s=19

I'd say they could do it for the sequel but alas...

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Eiba posted:

Oh, when I said weak nerd I just meant in physical terms. I pumped up both Psyche and Intellect, with a signature skill in Empathy. I put as much as I could (not much) in Motorics and just completely dumped Physique.

I found it grimly gratifying to remain as sober as possible.

Unfortunately I am not the kind of person who can play a story based game twice, even if there are different options each time, so after I finished (like three years ago now) I looked everything up. What I read about the tie plot actually did tempt me to play again because that sounds incredibly cool. In my sober playthrough I deeply mistrusted the tie and by extension Inland Empire, which resulted in an interesting story itself as I kept having these intrusive thoughts that weren't nearly as malign as I had assumed.

The tie is a selfless and noble hero. As for inland empire, it eventually gets you to correct conclusions but you get there in a weird way.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Fruits of the sea posted:

Like if you punch in #cozygames in Tiktok,

no!

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I'mma be real with you: I would probably really enjoy the hypothetical witch game described in these tweets. I love Disco Elysium, but I would also love a really well written game about a girl looking for a cat in the mountains, that sounds rad actually.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
There is a whole bunch of cozy witchcore games out and in development atm, it's a whole-rear end mini-genre:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1701460/HipWitch/https://store.steampowered.com/app/1867520/Homestead_Arcana/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1874490/Potionomics/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1896700/Wylde_Flowers
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1354830/Cat_Cafe_Manager/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1740310/Tiny_Witch/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1819460/Mika_and_The_Witchs_Mountain
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1427340/Witchy_Life_Story/

etc

EDIT: oh poo poo I even missed a whole bunch:

https://screenrant.com/little-witch-woods-witchbrook-life-sim-cute-wholesome/

Megazver fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Jun 5, 2023

search engine
Jun 16, 2020

You wouldn't even have to try hard to argue that the protagonist you're controlling feels the exact same way about his situation as the eyeroll lady.

That said, unless you do things very wrong, Harry is not generic by the middle/end of the game.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I can't get angry at a three year old post but its still funny. Most people reading this will have played DE, probably multiple times and here we have a thread going "christ that sounds dull. Anyway, heres my pitch for a generic fantasy story aimed at children".

roomtwofifteen
Jul 18, 2007

Preferably the young witch would also be able to do pyrholidon and speed

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

roomtwofifteen posted:

Preferably the young witch would also be able to do pyrholidon and speed

No no no no no no...they're just potions....and magic powders...

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
So what does the word “Revachol” actually mean in Suresnese or whichever made up language it comes from?

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

it’s a pidginized “reva sheol”, to be tied to the stillness after death

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts

Devlan Mud posted:

So what does the word “Revachol” actually mean in Suresnese or whichever made up language it comes from?

They never establish that (or even which language it's supposed to be), to my knowledge. IRL, it's a reference:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ravachol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
i actually like the idea of young witch story.

Disco is clearly very different from a generic detective noir story so that children's fantasy would also have to quickly diverge from the genre norms.
And a young witch spin-kicking a fascist sounds more realistic then a cop spin kicking a fascist.

Arguably frog detective is actually pretty close to that recommendation even.