Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Homophobic protesters outside a North Hollywood elementary school attacked counter protesters. The fight seems like it broke up pretty quickly, though. (LA Times link)

I guess it was only a matter of time before we reached the street fighting stage of Christian fascism, but I'm a little surprised to first hear about it happening so close to home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
If they try that south of the valley, WeHo is going to send an armed regiment.

But yeah, loving sucks that the bigots are feeling like they can do that poo poo in LA

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

They've been running rampant in Portland with the assistance of police, no reason they can't do it in LA or SF or any other "liberal bastion".

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I'm shocked that capitalism in crisis is resulting in the rise of fascism.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Ranter posted:

I'm shocked that capitalism in crisis is resulting in the rise of fascism.

no one could have possibly predicted this

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Tuxedo Gin posted:

They've been running rampant in Portland with the assistance of police, no reason they can't do it in LA or SF or any other "liberal bastion".

Seems like its only a matter of time really.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Gavin angry at Ron for human trafficking from Texas to here.

https://twitter.com/GavinNewsom/status/1665769565261840387

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

a drag show at a bar in placerville that'd been going on for a year got shut down by the bar after fash lied about it being all-ages and packed a city council meeting about it. this poo poo is everywhere

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Sacramento city council had Proud Boys and other Nazis show up a couple weeks ago. Got the whole meeting shut down and emptied out before it eventually reconvened with Zoom comments only because the fash were screaming about Jews and groomers and homeless people and poo poo. They're getting bolder and bolder.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

SlimGoodbody posted:

Sacramento city council had Proud Boys and other Nazis show up a couple weeks ago. Got the whole meeting shut down and emptied out before it eventually reconvened with Zoom comments only because the fash were screaming about Jews and groomers and homeless people and poo poo. They're getting bolder and bolder.

jetz0r posted:

no one could have possibly predicted this

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

OMGVBFLOL posted:

a drag show at a bar in placerville that'd been going on for a year got shut down by the bar after fash lied about it being all-ages and packed a city council meeting about it. this poo poo is everywhere

I knew Placerville was full of chuds (and meth) but I wish I knew about the drag show there, would have made visiting more palatable

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

SlimGoodbody posted:

One of the nazis who spoke there used to come to Vallejo's city council meetings and speak his filth.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

Jaxyon posted:

Best breakfast quesadilla I've ever had was in San Diego and it had huitlacoche on it.

But since we're talking disasters here....

quote:

huitlacoche

This sounds like a venereal disease.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corn_smut posted:

"Cuitlacoche" redirects here. For the genus of birds otherwise known as "Cuitlacoche", see Toxostoma.

Corn smut is a plant disease caused by the pathogenic fungus Ustilago maydis that causes smut on maize and teosinte. The fungus forms galls on all above-ground parts of corn species. It is edible, and is known in Mexico as the delicacy huitlacoche;[4] which is eaten, usually as a filling, in quesadillas and other tortilla-based foods, and in soups.

Old James fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jun 8, 2023

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Country Mexicans make do

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
gimme some of the huitlacoochie corn smegma, it's delicious

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Old James posted:

This sounds like a venereal disease.
As does the cuisine of your parent culture, which was devised from syphilitic whores, harlots, and landlords.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

all the interesting parts of french cuisine was created by dirt farmers collecting whatever crap they could eat off the forest floor so yeah id eat the corn smut

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I mean it's basically just another mushroom

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

OgNar posted:

Gavin angry at Ron for human trafficking from Texas to here.

https://twitter.com/GavinNewsom/status/1665769565261840387

Is this related to illegal immigration? I need more context.

Jaxyon posted:

If they try that south of the valley, WeHo is going to send an armed regiment.

But yeah, loving sucks that the bigots are feeling like they can do that poo poo in LA

Maybe it's just my personal experience, but I encountered more racism living in SoCal than in the Bay area.

Sometimes open racism like my high school classmates saying "black people are ugly". My dad's then gf was interesting. Overall ok person, but when George Zimmerman was let go she said "oh thank God". I remember her cop friend bragging about how she had helped beat up a homeless dude. And then my stepmom's German mom told me once "your computer is your spear" because I carried it around everywhere. Ngl I might have internalized some of it.

Don't get started on how every other town was once a whites-only sundown town.

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Jun 11, 2023

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

America Inc. posted:

Maybe it's just my personal experience, but I encountered more racism living in SoCal than in the Bay area.

Sometimes open racism like my high school classmates saying "black people are ugly". My dad's then gf was interesting. Overall ok person, but when George Zimmerman was let go she said "oh thank God". I remember her cop friend bragging about how she had helped beat up a homeless dude. And then my stepmom's German mom told me once "your computer is your spear" because I carried it around everywhere. Ngl I might have internalized some of it.

as an asian american that grew up in orange county, I don’t feel like I have seriously encountered much racism. It might have been more subtle when I was younger and I admit that I went to primary schools and college that had a significant number of asians

orange county’s “south county”, which is a bit nebulously defined but is generally anywhere south of Irvine, still has somewhat recent news stories about open racism. especially ladera ranch, but laguna hills has hit the headlines as well, and there was also that shooting in laguna woods

I would probably venture to say that racism probably varies neighborhood by neighborhood and city by city.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

also don’t forget the crazy people in san clemente and huntington beach (pretty much any beach city in orange county except maybe costa mesa), I guess, but that’s the low hanging fruit if you want to point to pockets of racism in orange county

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

America Inc. posted:

This is the same as when Florida took a bunch of migrants, processed them, promised them jobs and then flew them to Marthas Vinyard.
Also when they transported a bunch by bus from Texas and dropped them off in front of Kamalas house at Xmas (I think).
The problem being that people are being promised jobs and being used to get back at democrats in a lovely, snarky way.
And really just being abandoned.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

America Inc. posted:

I know a guy who's family was run out of Orange County by the Klan in 80's.

Outskirts of San Diego are incredibly racist. Especially Santee.

I was more referring to the sheer density of incredibly jacked gay men in Weho. If they try and picket Hamburger Mary's, I imagine you'll see some poo poo.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

sb hermit posted:

as an asian american that grew up in orange county, I don’t feel like I have seriously encountered much racism.

at a guess, there's probably enough of a critical mass of asian americans in orange county that it's harder on an individual level to otherize them than it is with other groups less represented in ones' school or workplace

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
the "plz money" mailers have started, is there anyone going for Barbara Lee's congressional seat other than Lateefah Simon?

it's a bit rich that the CA Dem machine is promoting a BART director at the same time that Newsom is poised to kick our transit infrastructure in the shins, despite the enthusiastic protestations of people in fancy dress holding a mock train funeral

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I grew up as a poor white kid in OC with lots of friends all across the income spectrum (OC is weird that way), so I got to see the unvarnished opinions of my other white friends' white parents, and I saw a lot of confoundingly racist attitudes and behaviors throughout. Less so towards Asians at the time, I think, but pretty massive inclinations toward it when it came to people of Mexican descent, a smaller but still noteworthy amount towards black people, and a surprising amount towards Jewish people?

From what I can tell, anti-Asian sentiment has gradually increased, especially in Irvine, where white boomers are getting resentful about the demographic change of the city since the 70s, and of course things also got real bad basically overnight for anyone who seemed remotely Middle Eastern after 9/11. OC was BIG TIME Bush territory.

gently caress Orange County. That place is the Texas of California; a cesspit of reactionary small business tyrants, genocidal Karens, and their entitled piece of poo poo offspring. I moved out at my literal first opportunity and never looked back.

Highbrow Slick
Jul 1, 2007

it is a fool who stays alive - but such fools are we.
I’ve only ever set foot in Redding once but based on that experience I think it’s several deviations worse than OC especially post-2020 or whatever.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Jaxyon posted:

Outskirts of San Diego are incredibly racist. Especially Santee.
Locally known as "Klantee" (or "Santucky")

Back country San Diego is hella chudlike.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
edit

Scott Forstall fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jun 13, 2023

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
There's been a bus driver strike over the past month in San Diego. It ended today and apparently the drivers got what they went on strike for.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

hell yeah

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

There's been a bus driver strike over the past month in San Diego. It ended today and apparently the drivers got what they went on strike for.

They were asking for clean bathrooms and not to have to take 6 hour unpaid breaks during the day and the company decided that was worth letting them strike for, good god.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

SlimGoodbody posted:

I grew up as a poor white kid in OC with lots of friends all across the income spectrum (OC is weird that way), so I got to see the unvarnished opinions of my other white friends' white parents, and I saw a lot of confoundingly racist attitudes and behaviors throughout. Less so towards Asians at the time, I think, but pretty massive inclinations toward it when it came to people of Mexican descent, a smaller but still noteworthy amount towards black people, and a surprising amount towards Jewish people?

From what I can tell, anti-Asian sentiment has gradually increased, especially in Irvine, where white boomers are getting resentful about the demographic change of the city since the 70s, and of course things also got real bad basically overnight for anyone who seemed remotely Middle Eastern after 9/11. OC was BIG TIME Bush territory.

gently caress Orange County. That place is the Texas of California; a cesspit of reactionary small business tyrants, genocidal Karens, and their entitled piece of poo poo offspring. I moved out at my literal first opportunity and never looked back.

As demographics have continued to shift, OC is getting less reactionary. Would still avoid places like Huntington Beach tho

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

They were asking for clean bathrooms and not to have to take 6 hour unpaid breaks during the day and the company decided that was worth letting them strike for, good god.

And the company lost.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

https://twitter.com/JohnWDean/status/1670540362086227969

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/06/11/john-eastman-disbarment-trial-trump-00101407
He devised a fringe legal theory to try to keep Trump in power. Now he’s on the verge of being disbarred.

"John Eastman, an architect of Donald Trump’s last-ditch bid to subvert the 2020 election on Jan. 6, is about to go on trial — but not in a criminal court.

Rather, the attorney is fighting to save his California bar license from authorities who say he repeatedly breached professional ethics — and possibly the law — in his bid to keep a defeated Trump in power. And those proceedings, while not as prominent as the Jan. 6 select committee or as potentially punitive as a criminal prosecution, are slated to elicit some of the most revealing and comprehensive testimony from figures who aided Trump’s effort to derail the transfer of power."

This thread has links to the 4 days of streams

https://twitter.com/capinsurrep/status/1670187940239007745

OgNar fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Jun 19, 2023

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

SlimGoodbody posted:

I dunno. I grew up in Northern California and bumped into anti-Asian sentiment more than once. It's maybe not as strong as it is for other racial groups and is laced through with model minority stereotypes, but it's definitely there.

Anecdotal, but about twenty years ago, my mother and I went to visit one of my aunts in the South Bay who was comfortably affluent. During one of our dinners, she mentioned that her son was dating an Asian woman at the college he attended because "that's all they have out there."

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

They were asking for clean bathrooms and not to have to take 6-hour unpaid breaks during the day and the company decided that was worth letting them strike for, good god.

$88,000,000 in profit last year.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Desantis came to Ca just to talk poo poo.

https://twitter.com/mehdirhasan/status/1671322977860739074

Also, lol at Hasan linking a CNN article instead of one from MSNBC.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
desantis give me some clips of you talking to the riff-raff i beg you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

Sivart13 posted:

desantis give me some clips of you talking to the riff-raff i beg you

it's him, he's the riff-raff