Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

loquacius posted:

My son is ~2.5 weeks old. Last night during "bedtime hours" he woke up 3 times -- at 9:30, at 1:30, and at 3:30. The only time he required any attention other than a quick feed was 9:30. That is really good for this age. Choosing to believe it's not a fluke.

Like, before he was born, I remember thinking "all I need to do is get through to the point where kid #2 is only waking me up twice per night and I'll be sitting pretty" and if every night is like last night we're already there

Fully aware of course that I have jinxed it and he'll get 45 minutes of sleep total tonight

It is good to record the good days. Jinx belief was pushed by people who believed in The Secret and wanted to hoard all the "desire for good things" energy for themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Nocturtle posted:

The younger kid put their own name on the sign. In their older sibling's room the younger sibling apparently also placed a sign reading:
"<older sibling's name>! BUTT!"
They included a drawing of floating buttocks.

lol

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.
Baby is over 3 months old by now. :toot:

Wife has somewhat decided on her additional name. And I remember someone asked, and yes, it would be like "First Name" "Original name as middle name" for our girl.

Earlier today we had the first time our baby cried her lungs out. I had finished feeding her her bottle, when she suddenly smacked herself in the face with her right hand. It seems it was hard enough to hurt, and we spent over half an hour trying to pacify her. Put on the Baby Shark song she loves and did the dance, and even then it took a while for her to calm down enough to fall asleep. Wife's sister says that our baby girl probably thought one of us did the hitting, so that's why she cried extra hard.:smith:

One positive thing is that she's already learning to grab stuff with her hands. :unsmith:

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

man, I saw a tiktok today about how a volcano erupted in geologically recent history and caused a worldwide blackout and famine for a few years, and that this is something that could really happen at any time. which is something I already knew, but haven’t really thought about it as the dad of 2 girls under 3 and it triggered a weird distant panic about raising toddlers in a disaster. on top of raising kids in America, which is a slightly less distant type of background panic.

moral of the story is that having a newborn is bad for anxiety!

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Changing the names here but I know a guy called "Bob." His parents, since he was born, referred to him as Bob. All his family and friends, everyone he knows, refer to him as Bob.

His legal name is roughly Ruben Dane

His parents have never given an adequate explanation.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Benagain posted:

Changing the names here but I know a guy called "Bob." His parents, since he was born, referred to him as Bob. All his family and friends, everyone he knows, refer to him as Bob.

His legal name is roughly Ruben Dane

His parents have never given an adequate explanation.

You should read the Boynton book Fifteen Animals, if you haven't already

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I live with an informal name / formal name split and it's p cool. Very useful for answering unlisted phone calls. It adds a layer of mystery to interactions with people. I like it, couldn't imagine life without it.

Willzilla
Aug 16, 2006

Rawr
“good morning dad I brought you a monster truck and a battery and where is my dinosaur shirt and I want breakfast and curious george tv and all of this is shouted at full volume at 5 in the morning” 🥱 yeah ok buddy

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

Willzilla posted:

“good morning dad I brought you a monster truck and a battery and where is my dinosaur shirt and I want breakfast and curious george tv and all of this is shouted at full volume at 5 in the morning” 🥱 yeah ok buddy

at least you get a "good morning", I just get belted in the nuts by a 3 year old demanding yoghurt

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

At 3, my kid had learned to find shows on the tablet for himself, so we would just leave a tupperware of apples and crackers on the couch table and he would get up himself, watch paw patrol and eat apples while we slept. Honestly a pretty good arrangement.

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011
Our oldest has chicken pox. Thankfully I'm booked solid for 3 days straight so my wife has to take care of the kids

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Willzilla posted:

Starting the day with a monster truck sounds great though.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Struensee posted:

Our oldest has chicken pox. Thankfully I'm booked solid for 3 days straight so my wife has to take care of the kids

Chicken pox? In the year 2023?

Like, I hope they're okay and all, but how does one get chicken pox nowadays?

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011

Elissimpark posted:

It's not covered by the vaccine program in Denmark.

He's fine, bit itchy at night. The worst is probably one of the pustules that popped up between his buttocks :smithicide:

Struensee has issued a correction as of 15:55 on May 29, 2023

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Elissimpark posted:

got some bad news about the state of the concept of public health

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I would have guessed some bible thumping rural state

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011
We only recommend it after the age of 12, if you're getting a transplant or severely immune deficient.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
we got our older son (he's 9) a Gabb watch and it's kinda nice giving him a longer leash to go do stuff.

he also sends me tons of emojis while I'm at work now.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

we got our older son (he's 9) a Gabb watch and it's kinda nice giving him a longer leash to go do stuff.

he also sends me tons of emojis while I'm at work now.

my kid has a old phone without cell service they can use for listening to books or music or whatever, and no one prepared me for a five year old texting me at work. it kicks rear end

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

500 good dogs posted:

my kid has a old phone without cell service they can use for listening to books or music or whatever, and no one prepared me for a five year old texting me at work. it kicks rear end

Sherbert Hoover has issued a correction as of 19:05 on May 29, 2023

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

BonHair posted:

watch paw patrol

:siren:

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

brother in law, the only one of my in laws I dont get along great with, is a cop who constantly buys my daughter paw patrol bullshit just to gently caress with me. I'm gonna get his daughter something like this for her birthday this year.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
That is kinda an emergency. It is not worth coming home early, but it should be first thing upon return.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Struensee posted:

It's not covered by the vaccine program in Denmark.

Gunshow Poophole posted:

got some bad news about the state of the concept of public health

Wow.

Probably on my mind because our 2yo got his MMRV (measles, mumps, rubella, varicella) shot a few months back.

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011
We're still on MMR. My wife and I are both employed in the public sector which provides two days of paid sick leave for each child each time they're sick, so I'm not sure they're saving much money by not including the vaccine in the program

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

bitmap posted:

brother in law, the only one of my in laws I dont get along great with, is a cop who constantly buys my daughter paw patrol bullshit just to gently caress with me. I'm gonna get his daughter something like this for her birthday this year.

Recorders are the worst, do it!

And yeah, paw patrol is awful. But I don't want to do the fight, plus maybe having the same frame of reference as all the other kids could get him to interact with them (this did not work). Oh well, he's mostly advanced to junior bakeoff and Nak og Æd, literally "kill and eat", a show for old men about a hunter and a chef shooting and cooking various animals.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.

Elissimpark posted:

Wow.

Probably on my mind because our 2yo got his MMRV (measles, mumps, rubella, varicella) shot a few months back.

When we started our baby girl's vaccinations she got the polio one. I was like "I thought that was when she was older" and the clinic lady said that since we live in a port city, we are at higher risk of polio spreads.

Boy, it sure was worthy that the U.S. got Bin Laden by undermining confidence on health workers fighting polio, so we all can enjoy it some more years instead of being eradicated by now. :ignorance:

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

bitmap posted:

good choice

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Update: the five year old had to tell another parent (he doesn't really talk to kids) what he's not into. That's a weird way to start a conversation apparently. Turns out it's "Elza and that stuff".

In other news, four months of paternity leave soft starts now. My wife starts a new job next Tuesday, so we're both at home with the baby for a week. I'm already tired from getting up at 5.30.

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011
Try 04.30 on for size sometime.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Struensee posted:

Try 04.30 on for size sometime.

Yeah, I know, and I'm also gonna be on lost pacifier in the middle of the night duty in a few days.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Got chewed out by our daycare provider this morning. My MIL visited on Friday and "wanted to see" our kid's home daycare. We assumed she just wanted to see the pickup happen but... she walked up with my wife and asked to look around. When the person at the door said no, she said, "Oh it will just be a minute!" and basically just walked in.

I wasn't there when it happened. But the provider was teeing off that it was unsafe for random people to walk in, it was disrespectful of the provider, it was disruptive for them to just barge in while the kids were napping, etc. etc.

All totally and completely correct! Actually felt very gratifying to hear someone else voice all my inner rages against this person who is the bane of my existence.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Lmao that is the height of arrogance

JUST HAVING A NOSE AROUND

E: should have bodyslammed her to the floor as a potential threat to the children

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

My daughter has apparently interpreted the phrase "if you say so" to mean something akin to "gently caress that"

like, today she was crying because her grandpa and aunt had stopped playing hide-and-seek with her to eat lunch. I explained to her that everyone was hungry and needed to stop to eat but would be back to play with her soon, and between sobs she screamed "IF YOU SAY SO"

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Fuckin love when kids divine the true meaning of words.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
we were just on the upswing after getting leveled by daycare illness no. 2 and then my daughter puked this morning

it hasn't even been a month :shepicide:

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

Anyone had their kids tear duct probed? My son had a crusty eye off and on until he was 1. Now it's almost all cleared up but sometimes you can see extra tears hanging around or a small crusty in the corner of the eye.

I think I got roped into this procedure cause it was so bad when he was younger. Now that it's not really a problem unless you really try to look at it I'm wondering if we should just consider it too elective and not do it since it involves anesthesia. Gonna air this out at the pre op appointment Monday

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011
I wouldn't have my child put under for that when it's been getting better.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Struensee posted:

I wouldn't have my child put under for that when it's been getting better.

same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Yeah, my father in law is still low key traumatized by my wife being put under as a small kid. Apparently, seeing your kid essentially lifeless with a (very small) chance of not waking up is not that fun. I kinda get where he's going with it, so yeah, I'd also not do it if the issue seems to have resolved itself.

Granted, he's also extremely squeamish, to the point that we do not mention even minor medical procedures like blood draws to him. Also he's a lovely boomer.