Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Glottis posted:

oh my god there's a new season of I Think You Should Leave on Netflix

Edward Mass posted:

The first three seasons of Angie Tribeca just showed up on Max, so there’s another thing for me to watch.

Truly a blessed weekend!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Edward Mass posted:

The first three seasons of Angie Tribeca just showed up on Max, so there’s another thing for me to watch.

...not the fourth!?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Open Source Idiom posted:

...not the fourth!?

:shrug: Perhaps Hulu still has exclusive rights to that season?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

A MIRACLE posted:

I've been watching Sanctuary on netflix, its about a sumo dude who's a dick. his girlfriend has huge boobs. its good so far

hm, how dickish, and how huge?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

its a pro watch imo just change the dubs to subs

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
Beyond the Infinite Two Minutes on Amazon Prime is absolutely delightful.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
How is it that we have five million streaming services and none of them have 1970's Waterloo?? I can't even buy the thing. I'd happily subscribe to the most obscure stupid service with the worst app and get emails from them until, and probably after, my death, but it's not to be.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Because the number of people that watch content from before 1990 on streaming services is depressingly low. And when you remove anything in the IMDB top 200, practically non-existent. They know that chumps like us will pay $2.99 to watch that really specific thing we want to watch, or buy the blu-ray box set, or worst case scenario suffer through ads on a FAST service.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
It’s a chicken and egg situation, how can people watch stuff from before 1990 when the services have so little content from that period?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

ymgve posted:

It’s a chicken and egg situation, how can people watch stuff from before 1990 when the services have so little content from that period?

There'd be more demand if the Beverly Hillbillies, Petticoat Junction, and Green Acres had their own yearly crossover where they'd team up to fight evil counterparts of themselves.

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
I'm afraid I was quite disappointed in White House plumbers. I really wanted to like it since I love all the details around the watergate scandal, but the writing is as lazy as it gets and they spend way too much time on E. Howard Hunt's stupid kids. For some reason, Woody Harrelson does his whole performance with a Christian Bale Batman voice. I still have one episode left so idk maybe they turn it around

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s the kind of show you watch for an hour while you eat dinner or something and then forget a few hours after.

10/10 show of the year

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

The Duggar family documentary on Amazon Prime is good but obviously really hosed up. Especially the last episode.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.

Aglet56 posted:

I'm afraid I was quite disappointed in White House plumbers. I really wanted to like it since I love all the details around the watergate scandal, but the writing is as lazy as it gets and they spend way too much time on E. Howard Hunt's stupid kids. For some reason, Woody Harrelson does his whole performance with a Christian Bale Batman voice. I still have one episode left so idk maybe they turn it around

I liked it for the performances of Justin Theroux and Toby Huss. Theroux is having a ball as G. Gordon Liddy so it was worth watching for that, but it was weird how much focus the Hunt kids got and I don’t think any of the Liddy kids were even named.

It’s only 5 episodes though so it isn’t a huge time commitment.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Aglet56 posted:

Watch Gaslit

Apologies if you've already watched Gaslit

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

How is it that we have five million streaming services and none of them have 1970's Waterloo?? I can't even buy the thing. I'd happily subscribe to the most obscure stupid service with the worst app and get emails from them until, and probably after, my death, but it's not to be.

YouTube???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DcWJrzK0wU

Not ideal but if there’s no other way…. There’s other uploads with “fan edit” in the title whatever that means change wise

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
That is definitely the only way!

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Netflix disc service doesn't even have it, crazy. You could check with a library/libraries near you as well.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Good grief Blackberry is over hyped. And it's supposed to be a comedy? It's a bizarre cross of The Big Short and I guess the WeWork show and just lands flat.

I also watched Hypnotic, which is an embarrassment for the guy responsible for Spy Kids 2. At first I thought Rodriguez was glossing down to do a Michael Bay movie of sorts, but I poo poo you not the third act turns into the end of Looper . There's a very quick scene in the middle at a Mexican border crossing, and the difference between that and the same scene in From Dusk Till Dawn night be one of the sadder things I've seen put to film. gently caress man I defend Predators. I haven't searched yet but someone has got to have done a side by side video on YouTube, right?

Three Thousand Years of Longing was great. Thank you for the recommendation, thread.

magiccarpet fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jun 4, 2023

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I love it and can't stop thinking about it

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I had no idea how hard it was to watch Fright Night 2 until I overheard some guy explaining why he was selling the pan & scan dvd for a hundred bucks.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

magiccarpet posted:

Good grief Blackberry is over hyped. And it's supposed to be a comedy? It's a bizarre cross of The Big Short and I guess the WeWork show and just lands flat.

I also watched Hypnotic, which is an embarrassment for the guy responsible for Spy Kids 2. At first I thought Rodriguez was glossing down to do a Michael Bay movie of sorts, but I poo poo you not the third act turns into the end of Looper . There's a very quick scene in the middle at a Mexican border crossing, and the difference between that and the same scene in From Dusk Till Dawn night be one of the sadder things I've seen put to film. gently caress man I defend Predators. I haven't searched yet but someone has got to have done a side by side video on YouTube, right?

Three Thousand Years of Longing was great. Thank you for the recommendation, thread.

The third act was interesting at least. Its really dumb in a fun way.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

ruddiger posted:

I had no idea how hard it was to watch Fright Night 2 until I overheard some guy explaining why he was selling the pan & scan dvd for a hundred bucks.

Pan and scan, ugh.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

So there's been an increasing proliferation of ad supported tiers of streaming services and FAST trash. Also every service is constantly making their UI more difficult to find anything specific and more aggressive with the suggestions and the auto playing.

If you just sit there and watch a bunch of ad supported stuff on the TV that is automatically chosen for you and automatically starts playing, that's just pre-2007 television, right??

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

If you just sit there and watch a bunch of ad supported stuff on the TV that is automatically chosen for you and automatically starts playing, that's just pre-2007 television, right??

Yeah it's loving hilarious isn't it? Turns out dumping millions and millions into 'content' that people watch once and immediately forget about isn't a viable business model if your only source of revenue is infinite subscriber growth.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

So there's been an increasing proliferation of ad supported tiers of streaming services and FAST trash. Also every service is constantly making their UI more difficult to find anything specific and more aggressive with the suggestions and the auto playing.

The new tech is hiding what you want to watch. For example on Netflix, I've rewatched I Think You Should Leave countless times. It's guaranteed my #1 show on the platform. But when the new season came out, I had to search for it, because it didn't pop up on the homepage at all. Even when I watched two episodes and came back the next day, there was no "continue watching". I've had this with other shows on other services too; they're all learning from each other. It's a recent development.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
It's not that recent. It's basically been a known quirk of the Netflix algorithm since early on -- I think the logic is that the platform isn't going to advertise a show to you that it knows you're going to watch, but it's all black box poo poo so who knows.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

doctorfrog posted:

hm, how dickish, and how huge?

how huge is the sumo guy's dick and tits??? anybody??

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
I’m getting really sick of Netflix promoting subtitled shows that ive never heard of when my son asks if he can watch something. Then I have to watch twice in a short period of time (once to see if it’s ok for him, and once with it)

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Open Source Idiom posted:

It's not that recent. It's basically been a known quirk of the Netflix algorithm since early on -- I think the logic is that the platform isn't going to advertise a show to you that it knows you're going to watch, but it's all black box poo poo so who knows.

My theory is it's the grocery store strategy of putting poo poo like the milk and the pharmacy at the back so you have to walk through the rest of the store.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

My favorite thing about Netflix is how looking for more info about a show or trying to add it to your list, or god help you, trying to signify to the mother ship to stop recommending Adam Sandler to you by accessing the thumbs down, actually starts streaming the goddamn thing so they can count it as time watched.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Lazy_Liberal posted:

how huge is the sumo guy's dick and tits??? anybody??

My theory is that the dick and tits are so entrancing that once someone starts watching they never return to the thread.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Jolo posted:

My theory is that the dick and tits are so entrancing that once someone starts watching they never return to the thread.

I'm going to go check it out right now, if I don't report back in an hour consider me lost to the D&Ts

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

LifeLynx posted:

I'm going to go check it out right now, if I don't report back in an hour consider me lost to the D&Ts

They're fuckin gone. Somebody tie a rope around my waist, I'm goin in.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Jolo posted:

They're fuckin gone. Somebody tie a rope around my waist, I'm goin in.

It's not worth it!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

1glitch0 posted:

My theory is it's the grocery store strategy of putting poo poo like the milk and the pharmacy at the back so you have to walk through the rest of the store.

I guess it works, cause I have never watched reality shows until Netflix pummeled me with them and now I have watched some of the dumbest poo poo I have ever seen in my life.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I watched some of Sanctuary. My main notes are (a) virtually every character just sucks as a person 90% of the time, and (b) the English dub is hilariously uneven. Sometimes it's a decent performance, sometimes it's incredibly jilted and off, and sometimes it literally cuts in and out mid-sentence. Perhaps my Netflix was just glitching out but the other audio tracks played fine?

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I watched The Idol last night on Max. It was fine. I really like most of the cast, great use of Troye Sivan, but the show was kind of blah, and I found The Weekend to be kind of creepy and gross. Not sure I'm down for watching him get what he wants for 10 episodes.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

putting on Joe Pickett starring Michael Dorman from Patriot

Glottis posted:

I watched some of Sanctuary. My main notes are (a) virtually every character just sucks as a person 90% of the time, and (b) the English dub is hilariously uneven. Sometimes it's a decent performance, sometimes it's incredibly jilted and off, and sometimes it literally cuts in and out mid-sentence. Perhaps my Netflix was just glitching out but the other audio tracks played fine?

def do not recommend the dubs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Jolo posted:

This reminds me I was wondering if Spartacus would hold up to a rewatch