Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Grand Fromage posted:

Get the sopping wet sandwich and report back please

No sloppy sandwiches guys, please. I mean it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Sloppy Sando Sunday you say? I think that can happen :ohdear:

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
ranch powder is legit, makes great cheese balls.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

https://twitter.com/Snack_Memories/status/1663690753888112640
https://twitter.com/Snack_Memories/status/1664247842284662785
https://twitter.com/Snack_Memories/status/1556809737651503106
https://twitter.com/landlover24/status/690410552724688897

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

that reminds me of my favorite article of all time

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Elviscat posted:

One of my fellow American shipmates asking for ranch with their pizza at this nice wood-fired joint in England, and the waitresses horrified reaction is one of the memories seared into my brain forever.

A restaurant I managed in college which was a bit schizophrenic in the menu - it was ostensibly a BBQ joint, but had a classically trained chef who really wanted to expand beyond that. The food was good and we did a lot more than just BBQ, including some very good salads with house made dressings. This did not stop people from ordering ranch, which we didn't make, and the chef hated. After a few months of people constantly asking for ranch and being disappointed they could get it, the chef bought a case of bottles of Hidden Valley. But unlike our other dressings, he wouldn't send them out a ramekin of ranch - he'd send out the salad with the whole bottle, to shame the person for ordering the stuff.

Want ranch? You get to suffer everyone else in the restaurant seeing the bottle on your table.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Shooting Blanks posted:

A restaurant I managed in college which was a bit schizophrenic in the menu - it was ostensibly a BBQ joint, but had a classically trained chef who really wanted to expand beyond that. The food was good and we did a lot more than just BBQ, including some very good salads with house made dressings. This did not stop people from ordering ranch, which we didn't make, and the chef hated. After a few months of people constantly asking for ranch and being disappointed they could get it, the chef bought a case of bottles of Hidden Valley. But unlike our other dressings, he wouldn't send them out a ramekin of ranch - he'd send out the salad with the whole bottle, to shame the person for ordering the stuff.

Want ranch? You get to suffer everyone else in the restaurant seeing the bottle on your table.

oh thanks, most places don't give enough! :derptiel:

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

oh my god I remember this, just insane

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

I could have eaten more than 32 of those in 14 hours.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Captain Hygiene posted:

This always shows up as an option when ordering sandwiches online from one of the restaurants here, I always think drat....or should I....?

$2 for basically half a bottle of ranch feels like...a decent deal? If you can get it in a separate container I'm wondering if there's some sort of arbitrage/resale opportunity if OP wanted to go into freelance ranch dressing sales here.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Captain Hygiene posted:

This always shows up as an option when ordering sandwiches online from one of the restaurants here, I always think drat....or should I....?

Doobie's dog house-rear end price scaling

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

more falafel please posted:

Ranch is fine as a salad dressing, but yeah I'd pretty much always rather have bleu cheese. It makes a pretty good veggie dip too I guess. Any other use of it as a topping or condiment is disgusting.

Of all food related Americanisms, bleu cheese is the one that really gets my piss boiling. I think it's because it neatly encapsulates two national stereotypes - ignorant Americans, and snobbish French.

(There's shitloads of blue cheese from loads of different non-French countries and French people don't even say 'fromage bleu')

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Jeeesus, that's a long-suppressed nightmare

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

In would probably despise myself even more than I usually would, but yes.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I started buying the refrigerated "Dill Ranch" and it competes with the likewise refrigerated "Big Blue" in my rotation for dipping and chicken sandwiches

Dill rules

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Porfiriato posted:

$2 for basically half a bottle of ranch feels like...a decent deal? If you can get it in a separate container I'm wondering if there's some sort of arbitrage/resale opportunity if OP wanted to go into freelance ranch dressing sales here.

its almost certainly in a little cup. add-ons and ounces always means that

sorry for spoilers

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Doritos Cool Ranch used to be called Cool American in some European countries because Europeans have no concept of "ranch" as a sauce or a form of agriculture.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

They don't even taste like ranch to me so I'd be fine renaming them that, I feel like a cool American when I eat them anyway :911:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

FreudianSlippers posted:

Doritos Cool Ranch used to be called Cool American in some European countries because Europeans have no concept of "ranch" as a sauce or a form of agriculture.

It's always been 'cool original' here because no knows what ranch is

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

It's from an obscure lowland area, I can't blame anyone for not knowing its origins

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

If it's made anywhere else than the Southwest USA, it's just "Sparkling American."

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Ranch is kinda fascinating as the one bit of American culture that the rest of the world absolutely resists having permeate.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!

Elviscat posted:

Ranch is kinda fascinating as the one bit of American culture that the rest of the world absolutely resists having permeate.

Because it is awful.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Love to associate my product with the the wet sound of mud

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Elviscat posted:

You can get ranch here but it just sits anonymously alongside 12 other salad dressing no ones buys because who'd eat a salad?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Freaquency posted:

Love to associate my product with the the wet sound of mud

Which my product happens to look and taste very similar to.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Ranch is already divisive as gently caress within America itself. Good amount of people hate that it's been shoehorned into every possible place. Like goddamn, even pizza places have dipping cups of ranch dressing.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It's variable too. Like if you get thousand island dressing it's probably going to taste the same everywhere. But the difference between fresh made ranch and the bottled stuff is enormous. The fresh made is actually good.

It is bizarre how much ranch poo poo there is though.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

quote:

Cooking time: 15 mins. frying, 25 mins. baking
Preparation time: 15 mins.
Main cooking utensil: either skillet or roasting pan
Oven temperature: 400-425°F.
Oven position: above center

For 8 people you need:
1 lb. ground beef
1 medium-sized potato
2 medium-sized onions
pinch mixed herbs
seasoning
1 egg
little fat
8 sandwich buns

Garnish:
rings raw onion
slices apple
lemon juice
olives
chopped scallions
yogurt
candied cherries
parsley

Mix ground beef, grated potato, onions, herbs, seasoning, and egg together.
Form either into round or square patties.
Either fry in a little hot fat turning carefully or bake on a well-greased pan.
Toast buns and butter if wished.
Put the hamburgers on buns and keep warm until required – do not overcook otherwise they dry and toughen.
Garnish with raw onion rings, slices of apple dipped in lemon juice, olives and candied cherries on toothpicks, chopped scallions, and yogurt (or mayonnaise) and parsley.

TO SERVE: Hot with knives and forks and salad, or make smaller so they can be heated with fingers, see Card 24.

TO VARY: Omit the grated raw potato and add a little flour to bind; add chopped parsley and little Worcestershire sauce.

TO STORE: Make beforehand, wrap in foil.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Schubalts posted:

Ranch is already divisive as gently caress within America itself. Good amount of people hate that it's been shoehorned into every possible place. Like goddamn, even pizza places have dipping cups of ranch dressing.

There's a pizza place in Portland with a legendarily grumpy owner who is extremely vocal about his hatred for two things: credit cards and ranch dressing. He finally caved and started accepting cards in the past decade but there are still signs in the place that proudly declare "RANCH-FREE SINCE '83"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

This far, no further

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

This party sucks

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I guess little meatloaf burgers are fine. I've never heard of raw potato as a binder, though, and that seems like a fair amount per burg. I wonder how noticeable it is.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

FreudianSlippers posted:

America's greatest feat/crime was convincing anyone else in the rest of the world that we were ever cool

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008

Elviscat posted:

Root beer too. I had to host an "American food" themed party at the school I taught at in Beijing and had the bright idea of serving root beer floats. That was a nightmare until I figured out that HeySong Sarsaparilla is close enough. Though honestly in the last couple of years I haven't seen that brand much in Mainland China either, presumably because it's from Taiwan but I don't really know, could just be less popular than in the past.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Ror posted:

There's a pizza place in Portland with a legendarily grumpy owner who is extremely vocal about his hatred for two things: credit cards and ranch dressing. He finally caved and started accepting cards in the past decade but there are still signs in the place that proudly declare "RANCH-FREE SINCE '83"

Uncritical support

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

stereobreadsticks posted:

Root beer too. I had to host an "American food" themed party at the school I taught at in Beijing and had the bright idea of serving root beer floats. That was a nightmare until I figured out that HeySong Sarsaparilla is close enough. Though honestly in the last couple of years I haven't seen that brand much in Mainland China either, presumably because it's from Taiwan but I don't really know, could just be less popular than in the past.

Don't worry, eventually root beer will be Federation-wide

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Those are some sad burgers, mournful hamburgers.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Ror posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

stereobreadsticks posted:

I've had a whole thing lately of trying brands of root beer, and there's a lot of variance between them, especially once you get outside of the bigger companies, and it's very hard to know what any brand will be like before you drink it, since most of the flavorings will be in small enough amounts that it's not really required to specify in the ingredients. A lot of brands brag about their vanilla (Hank's goes pretty hard on that). Some brands like to use honey which gives a certain flavor like Sprecher or Bulldog. Some brands go pretty hard on licorice root, like Bundaberg. Sometimes there's acacia, Boylan likes to use birch. Abita root beer uses cinnamon, which makes it taste a bit like Coca Cola. Most of the flavors are pretty hard to adapt to at first, especially the licorice-based ones. There's also usually yucca or quillaja in there listed on ingredients, but that's more for foam than flavor.

Sarsaparilla I think is somewhere in the same ballpark, but also I haven't had it much, and apparently one of its classical ingredients was sassafras, which is apparently now banned in the US, so I assume there's some weird chemical substitutes involved.