Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
TempleOS Deck Port when?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

TempleOS doesn't run natively on modern PCs without a BIOS compatibility module, Steam Deck doesn't have that and probably never will. Someone either needs to modernize the TempleOS bootloader or you could just run it in a virtual machine.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Are there any modern takes of the Heroes of Might and Magic format that are good and work well on deck? Or whatever the best iteration of HoMM wound up being? Kind of lost track after 3.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

King Boo posted:

assuming there's not a newer, better process to do it: go into compdata, sort by date, find recent folder with too-long number that's ~40 or ~80gb depending on hi-res pack (assuming d4)

i did that 10 or so times clearing poo poo out before i started using lutris (bottles is probably an option as well) to manage non-steam installs. it's better

Thanks for the tip where to look, I wasn't able to find the install directory directly but I was able to search down the exe. I had to keep using the installer for it since it seems that the installs are...instanced? For the compatability and therefore it wants to reinstall the game when I launch from the direct exe but I'll work it out.

D4 is running fairly well so I'm happy with that. Only issue I had was when I tried to force a version of Proton on the direct diablo exe and it started crashing.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Chin Strap posted:

Are there any modern takes of the Heroes of Might and Magic format that are good and work well on deck? Or whatever the best iteration of HoMM wound up being? Kind of lost track after 3.

Songs of Conquest is awesome, especially for an Early Access title, though I haven't yet tried it on the Deck.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Chin Strap posted:

Oh man I loved those games. Total war Warhammer reminded me a lot of the HOMM games. It was funny when people were bitching about how the AI loves to kite your armies around the map and sack your poo poo when you are two turns away from them; I am a veteran of that bullshit from multiple heroes games that know EXACTLY how close they can get to you without getting intercepted.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Max Payne 3 holds up and it plays at a rock solid 60 on Steam Deck. I think this might be one of the best third person shooters ever made.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It’s so so so good. I played it again last year on series x and it was even better than I remembered.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
gently caress yeah the yacht section is awesome, and the bits in the favelas with the everpresent samba beats

No game has done that feeling of being extremely hung over and strung out on pills so well, either. I felt like I needed to go into rehab after lol

Soundtrack by HEALTH is a banger too

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

The only thing I didn’t like about max Payne 3 was how unskippable the cut scenes are

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

How unskippable are they

Like a lil bit unskippable when they should be fully unskippable or are they already too unskippable for your tastes and maybe they should have toned it back

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
The game is approximately 80% cutscene and you have to skip them with a mod because the game won't let you.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Normally I get annoyed by games with unskippable cutscenes but I don’t remember getting annoyed by MP3 at all in that way. They’re good I guess so it didn’t bug me! I get annoyed when it feels like a game is wasting my time.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I've now got almost 400 hours in GTA Online, exclusively on the Steam deck. Somehow, when I hit the Steam button to try and do literally anything in a mouse-controlled app like Discord, the touchpads won't respond. Does anyone know what I could do to make this behave normally? Any other game allows me to control any app I switch to (well, Discord is the only one I have installed that I run at the same time.)

I've gotten around this by loading discord and getting into the voice channel I want before starting the game, but I'd love to able to start discord and use it even if I've already launched GTA online.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I've now got almost 400 hours in GTA Online, exclusively on the Steam deck. Somehow, when I hit the Steam button to try and do literally anything in a mouse-controlled app like Discord, the touchpads won't respond. Does anyone know what I could do to make this behave normally? Any other game allows me to control any app I switch to (well, Discord is the only one I have installed that I run at the same time.)

I've gotten around this by loading discord and getting into the voice channel I want before starting the game, but I'd love to able to start discord and use it even if I've already launched GTA online.

i also have had this weird problem

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

alexandriao posted:

i also have had this weird problem

There's a good chance it's the same bug as my ctrl-c to SIGINT KDE + reboot bug. It's also when you're under certain circumstances then hit the Steam button.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Somehow, when I hit the Steam button to try and do literally anything in a mouse-controlled app like Discord, the touchpads won't respond.

You'll also see touchpads not responding when you're in Desktop and Steam Input isn't working because Steam's not up yet.

-X conditions are met
-Hitting Steam button turns off Steam Input. Your custom controller profile will instead be the game's native. Touchpads not natively supported.
-Hitting Steam key again usually knocks it back into order

Wait, is the keyboard itself managed by Steam Input? Any regular keyboard?

Would turning off Steam Input turn off KDE's input manager as well?

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Cool, I've got it on video. Unresponsive trackpads then Ctrl-C to reboot. I don't think there's a way to open a ticket directly, but I posted on Valve's Steam Deck forum. The question of course is why various actions make Steam Input quit.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Diablo IV on Steam Deck :3:

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Normal apps continue to be a nightmare under game mode

Here it is hooked up to a 1080p screen. the screenshot itself is 1080p, but plex itself is acting like its a 600x420 screen. Bleh

Like, I even set it up so it displays like its 1080p, which seems to work on the native display on my steam deck for e.g. discord.

(Yes i tried toggling the button that says "internal and external", no, it didn't do poo poo)

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Like, some games i dont give a poo poo if it's actually 1280x800 scaled up. Doom, etc. still looks great like that, and it's the right thing to do based on the power of the graphics card. But it just sucks for some things (esp. indie games where like, the pixels get blurry and weird under FSR and it's not a strain to render it)

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Mescal posted:

There's a good chance it's the same bug as my ctrl-c to SIGINT KDE + reboot bug. It's also when you're under certain circumstances then hit the Steam button.

IDK if you have also had a problem where the mouse just straight up disappears when accessing the social mode thingy? Like, I can move the mouse to select the buttons, but GTA V isnt rendering it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Mescal posted:

Cool, I've got it on video. Unresponsive trackpads then Ctrl-C to reboot. I don't think there's a way to open a ticket directly, but I posted on Valve's Steam Deck forum. The question of course is why various actions make Steam Input quit.

This is very weird to me because C-c -> SIGINT is a function of the terminal usually, so I guess KDE is also generating the signal? You’ve got a fun one here!

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

alexandriao posted:

Normal apps continue to be a nightmare under game mode

Here it is hooked up to a 1080p screen. the screenshot itself is 1080p, but plex itself is acting like its a 600x420 screen. Bleh

Like, I even set it up so it displays like its 1080p, which seems to work on the native display on my steam deck for e.g. discord.

(Yes i tried toggling the button that says "internal and external", no, it didn't do poo poo)

Try using the HTPC client for Plex, it scales much better to different resolutions. You just need to map the arrow keys, enter and escape to the controls manually to navigate.

Started taking my Deck to work again, playing a whole bunch of Street Fighter 6 on my breaks.

E: Just saw a system update with "performance improvements for Star Wars Jedi Survivor" as one of 2 changes, someone report on that please.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jun 5, 2023

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Has anyone gotten into KOTOR 1 and 2 o their deck yet? If so, how do you install mods besides the workshop? Since KOTOR 1 has none and I wanna try https://deadlystream.com/files/file/558-kotor-1-restoration/ and as for KOTOR 2 there's a lot of stuff on the Reddit here https://www.reddit.com/r/kotor/comments/u350we/kotor_1_2_mod_builds_fully_compatible_modular_mod/ I'd love to try.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Has anyone gotten into KOTOR 1 and 2 o their deck yet? If so, how do you install mods besides the workshop? Since KOTOR 1 has none and I wanna try https://deadlystream.com/files/file/558-kotor-1-restoration/ and as for KOTOR 2 there's a lot of stuff on the Reddit here https://www.reddit.com/r/kotor/comments/u350we/kotor_1_2_mod_builds_fully_compatible_modular_mod/ I'd love to try.

I actually just setup KOTOR 1 last night following this post: https://www.reddit.com/r/kotor/comments/y8lwwy/kotor_1_full_build_on_steam_deck/ which mostly uses that "full build" guide you have linked there with a few changes. Basically you mod it on PC like normal then copy the whole swkotor folder over to your Deck. I only ran a little bit of the beginning of the game but it seems to work fine, including the community layout that post recommends.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

This is very weird to me because C-c -> SIGINT is a function of the terminal usually, so I guess KDE is also generating the signal? You’ve got a fun one here!

I know I do! It's reaching the terminal somehow. I think KDE's failing to intercept the signal or failing to handle SIGINT priority override correctly. But I doubt it's KDE's fault. This post says Gamescope doesn't even keep actual logs unless you force it. I won't bother. I don't think journalctl is going to give me anything, but I'll start keeping a log remotely. At home I usually keep an ssh tty tab with top open to keep an eye on it. Call me weird, but I feel like it helps me. I'm presuming based on googling that Steam Input doesn't have a process of its own, but if anyone wants to contradict me feel free.

Edit: I was wrong, journalctl shows a few things. I'm not gonna pore over it rn.
for my own reference:
ssh deck@steamdeck 'journalctl' >> sdeck_logs_$(date +%Y%m%d).txt

Mescal fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jun 5, 2023

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

I said come in! posted:

Diablo IV on Steam Deck :3:

does it work well on deck? is it a huge pain in the rear end to set up with the blizzard launcher?

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Kwolok posted:

I will never stop being angry at someone who spends 100 on a 70 dollar base game chock full of mtx because they are very directly encouraging that predatory behavior by being unable to keep their wallets closed.

Since this is basically a portable PC gaming thread, yes I think it's lovely these people are continuing to help these companies justify the shittification of triple A.

this mf still believes in consumer choice driving markets

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Foul Fowl posted:

does it work well on deck? is it a huge pain in the rear end to set up with the blizzard launcher?

Yeah works fine. I used Lutris to install battle net and create a steam shortcut.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
okay i found a guide that doesn't seem too complicated, might pick it up when they've had a month or so to sort out the birth defects (and i go on holiday), thank you :cheers:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Foul Fowl posted:

Install Lutris, and you should have no problems. You may get an error about the GPU not being enough to run the game. This is not true. And for some reason the first time load times might be a few minutes. After that though it is smooth. Game played at 60fps with a lot of settings on low, but even then it looks really nice anyways. Blizzard worked some magic and serious optimization on this game.

Sterf
Dec 31, 2004

Chin Strap posted:

I'm liking Hero's Hour on the deck, is a bit different though with realtime auto-combat.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

njsykora posted:

Try using the HTPC client for Plex, it scales much better to different resolutions. You just need to map the arrow keys, enter and escape to the controls manually to navigate.

Started taking my Deck to work again, playing a whole bunch of Street Fighter 6 on my breaks.

E: Just saw a system update with "performance improvements for Star Wars Jedi Survivor" as one of 2 changes, someone report on that please.

I thought HTPC was only for plex pass?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Nope, it's basically just the Plex app for using on TVs. Same as you'd get on a smart TV or console instead of the browser interface. I don't have a Plex Pass and use it just fine.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Detective No. 27 posted:

Max Payne 3 holds up and it plays at a rock solid 60 on Steam Deck. I think this might be one of the best third person shooters ever made.
How did you get it to work? Do you need to download the Rockstar Launcher? Whenever I try to play it, a bunch of errors pop up and I am dumped back to Steam.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

probably a really stupid question but - I pre-ordered System shock remak through GOG, and I can't get it to run on the deck.
I used Heroic installer, but it demands c++ be installed after launching the game which can't be right.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

unruly posted:

How did you get it to work? Do you need to download the Rockstar Launcher? Whenever I try to play it, a bunch of errors pop up and I am dumped back to Steam.

I think it does need Rockstar Launcher to work. Since I had played RDR2 on Steam in the past, it knew my login credentials and automatically logged me in. So it was seamless in my case. But I do know that the Rockstar launcher can be a massive pain in the rear end, so your mileage may vary.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Whelp.

Gotta RMA my Deck, it inexplicably has a broken Right Bumper, the D-pad is registering multiple directions even when you press a single one, and the Steam button is registering multiple presses. The left trackpad is also making a different noise than the right, but on the test app it seems to be working. Also one of the right back buttons send to be way more sensitive than the others, but I feel like it's the others being far harder to press.

Didn't drop it or spill anything on it, was just in the Beta branch of the OS and updated a couple days ago and rebooted it, then didn't use it for a day or so. Revert didn't work, contacted support and they went pretty rapidly to RMA approval which makes me wonder if this is a common issue. Pain in the rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Detective No. 27 posted:

I think it does need Rockstar Launcher to work. Since I had played RDR2 on Steam in the past, it knew my login credentials and automatically logged me in. So it was seamless in my case. But I do know that the Rockstar launcher can be a massive pain in the rear end, so your mileage may vary.
Hmm. Of course, the (comically) easier way would be to :filez: it.

I'll look into it. Not excited.