Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Antigravitas posted:

It's just American Exceptionalism. The concerns of Europeans are necessarily subservient to the enlightened thoughts of the American Twitterata.

And in a way they aren't totally wrong. The pro-Russia culture war poo poo is being imported from America to Germany right now, and American fascists along with Russia have given ample support to the AfD and even dictated the talking points the other right wing dipshits are using – see for reference the recent meeting of CSU politicians with DeSantis, or the CDU suddenly talking about "woke" and calling Ukrainian refugees "welfare tourists". Violence against minorities is on the rise, and the rhetoric used to dehumanise them is a straight import from the US of A.

German fascists taking lessons from their American brethren, where have I heard that before

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

One of my favorite books of all time is One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich

The whole film is available on YouTube and I definitely recommend it as it's semiautobiographical account of what it's like to be a Sovient dissident, and probably is more relevant today than any time since 1991. If anyone here hasn't seen it, definitely check it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugI16t1CBIg

quote:

Solzhenitsyn was born into a family that defied the Soviet anti-religious campaign in the 1920s and remained devout members of the Russian Orthodox Church. However, Solzhenitsyn lost his faith in Christianity, became an atheist, and embraced Marxism–Leninism. While serving as a captain in the Red Army during World War II, Solzhenitsyn was arrested by the SMERSH and sentenced to eight years in the Gulag and then internal exile for criticizing Soviet leader Joseph Stalin in a private letter.

Where have we heard THAT recently, eh?

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Toxic Mental posted:

Perfidious capitalist west! The economics of despair! I say geniusly, cheering for an entire country's eradication because I "like" another country's... [double takes my clipboard] economic model from 50 years ago that doesn't even exist anymore

No further reflection necessary!

Don't forget "A country that by several metrics was worse to its client states and minorities than what Third Reich or some amateurs like Pol Pot could have dreamed off but I didn't actually bother to read that far on the text book. And since it isn't brought up by this podcast I am using as my only source it clearly didn't happen".

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jun 4, 2023

Oldsmobile
Jun 13, 2006

Grape posted:

This guy's central thesis is that the west hates Russia for moving back toward being a very Orthodox Christian country. Thus explaining their likewise militant hatred for uh... NATO members Greece and Romania? I have nothing.

And totally ignoring the fact that the Russian Orthodox church is just a big grift machine. Nothing to do with helping people build belonging and community.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Toxic Mental posted:

That's an amazing piece of literature, very much a "read in one sitting" book.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

spankmeister posted:

Guess nobody read this, because I messed up the link and nobody said anything lmao. I've fixed it.

I tried to read it but I figured that Meduza took it down tbh

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Wait a minute. The US supported

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Oldsmobile posted:

And totally ignoring the fact that the Russian Orthodox church is just a big grift machine. Nothing to do with helping people build belonging and community.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

what??

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Groß, falls wahr.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

mllaneza posted:

That's an amazing piece of literature, very much a "read in one sitting" book.

The Gulag Archipelago is one of the angriest books I've ever read. I'd feel content to be left on a desert island with only that to read. Shame Solzhenitsyn went/was loving nuts. He wrote two of my favorite books. I even named a child after him.

Shalamov's stories were far more impactful to me, feelings wise, but I still like to filp through Gulag Archipelago and read Ivan Denisovich once a year.

As an aside, is anyone here a fan of Vladimir Sorokin?
I've only read Ice, which I really liked. Any other recommendations?

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

madeintaipei posted:

As an aside, is anyone here a fan of Vladimir Sorokin?
I've only read Ice, which I really liked. Any other recommendations?

My avatar speaks for itself.
Norma is an absolute classic, his best book still.
Oprichnick's Day and Sugar Kremlin are amazing as a mirror of pathologies of modern Russia.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1665468627116539905?s=20

I get that Prigozhin talks a lot of poo poo about the regular Russian army, but him detaining a brigade commander is, uh, quite something.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

fatherboxx posted:

Oprichnick's Day and Sugar Kremlin are amazing as a mirror of pathologies of modern Russia.

finally your avatar is explained!

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Good summary of the poo poo

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1665463560158281728?t=O1-131kuaKGAiki4wl-0NA&s=19

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

fatherboxx posted:

Just got to the first little break in Oprichnick's Day, on page ten. This is extremely my poo poo.

Reminds me a bit of T. C. Boyle. Straight-faced presentation of satire, and funnier for it.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

There's something brewing. I don't know what exactly but I just have this feeling. Things are really starting to heat up.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

beer_war posted:

I get that Prigozhin talks a lot of poo poo about the regular Russian army, but him detaining a brigade commander is, uh, quite something.

I dunno isn't that like a reservist sergeant to the Russians lmao

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

So I follow this stuff pretty closely, but I'm having a hard time parsing these recent attacks. So it seems that there are a number of groups, like Russian ex-pats, or other exile groups or similar that are crossing the Ukrainian/Russian border and doing stuff, with minimal response from the Russians? Is that correct? This has allegedly caused the evacuation of Shebekino along with other destruction in other areas?

I guess I'm kind of dumbfounded at the Russian response, yes I understand the dilemma of pulling back resources at the front to defend the border, but come on. This really seems like some incredible incompetence, am I understanding things right?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
There's a whole messaging/info op going on around them and all the low credibility pro-ukraine accounts are signal boosting some wild poo poo so it would be very prudent to read everything about them with an extra large grain of salt

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Yes, Russians seemingly only have the "say it is not happening" playbook at this point. So the jokes about this Russian force eventually marching to Moscow hit harder than they should because Russia is just...sort of trying to stop it a little but not really?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

It's just a handful of raids across the border into Russia by technically-Russian units to give Ukraine the barest veneer of deniability. Their effect is being overstated by signal boosters online because of how much of a propaganda and narrative L the Putin regime is taking over their inability to effectively repel them.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Strategic Tea posted:

I dunno isn't that like a reservist sergeant to the Russians lmao

He's a Lieutenant Colonel.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
It's horribly embarrassing for you as the world's second best military* to have your border areas raided over and over again for days at a time by a plausibly deniable enemy force that is in no way armed by a nation-state and who definitely got their armored vehicles at shops in the area while you are totally impotent when it comes to making them leave. The Ukrainians are even better at little green men than Russia is and that's a big hearty lol at the zinky boys

* :blyat:

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

Herstory Begins Now posted:

There's a whole messaging/info op going on around them and all the low credibility pro-ukraine accounts are signal boosting some wild poo poo so it would be very prudent to read everything about them with an extra large grain of salt

Runa posted:

It's just a handful of raids across the border into Russia by technically-Russian units to give Ukraine the barest veneer of deniability. Their effect is being overstated by signal boosters online because of how much of a propaganda and narrative L the Putin regime is taking over their inability to effectively repel them.

Dr. Quarex posted:

Yes, Russians seemingly only have the "say it is not happening" playbook at this point. So the jokes about this Russian force eventually marching to Moscow hit harder than they should because Russia is just...sort of trying to stop it a little but not really?

Ah, ok thanks for the clarity. Still, I could like understand maybe one raid getting through, then some changes happening and that not really being feasible anymore, but this (even if a a low level) seems to be happing for what - a week now?

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

TASS and RIA Novosti reporting "large-scale offensives" (which of course they have successfully repelled, obviously)

https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1665486662657359875?s=20

Would Konashenkov ever lie to us?

beer_war fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jun 5, 2023

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Bone Crimes posted:

Ah, ok thanks for the clarity. Still, I could like understand maybe one raid getting through, then some changes happening and that not really being feasible anymore, but this (even if a a low level) seems to be happing for what - a week now?

to repel an attack by a tank or two, some afvs and light vehicles with artillery support requires a fairly significant garrison force that is well equipped. russia currently has a relative manpower and materiel shortage and forcing them to garrison hundreds of more miles of border would spread their forces out even further. Of the hundreds of miles of previously uncontested border, most of it is not set up to stop actual concerted, well-equipped, supported Ukrainian pushes because Russia had assumed that Ukraine was not going to push into Russian territory.

it's a clusterfuck because it would take a lot of resources to fully prevent which Russia can't and won't spare from the front

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

beer_war posted:

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1665468627116539905?s=20

Yeah, wait, what the gently caress? That's a hell of an escalation.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Wagner clearly instills a mindset they're the "real" military. Very US Marines-like.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

it's a clusterfuck because it would take a lot of resources to fully prevent which Russia can't and won't spare from the front

It’s in one of the Ukraine threads that someone was talking about setting up a dilemma for the Russians, where solving one problem creates another for them. I think it was in the context of military obstacles, but the same idea applies here too; that’s exactly what these border raids are setting up. Do you let them continue and possibly raid their way to a factory that’s not so far from places they can already reliably reach? Or do you pull troops back from already-thin lines to stop the raids, and increase the chance of a breakthrough? Keep in mind that Ukraine (courtesy of US/NATO) have a god’s eye view of their entire front via satellite imagery, so they’ll have a pretty good idea where to drop that hammer.

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

Toxic Mental posted:

The First Circle is also excellent, traces the chain of fear in a Stalinist forced labour science facility from the janitor to Josef's office.

fatherboxx posted:

That's how I felt about First Circle but it's now well dated, so thanks!

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Toxic Mental posted:

Said it before a million times - I would love to see a genuine WAR BAD!! tank enjoyer sit in a room and try to explain to someone from Kosovo how the American military is BAD!! and NATO is BAD!!

From what a friend who served over there has told me, they may agree more than you think. Especially the family of (cw) the 12 year old girl someone in his company raped and murdered.

Not saying tankies aren't dopes, but there was a lot of lovely occupier-type behavior over there.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

to repel an attack by a tank or two, some afvs and light vehicles with artillery support requires a fairly significant garrison force that is well equipped. russia currently has a relative manpower and materiel shortage and forcing them to garrison hundreds of more miles of border would spread their forces out even further. Of the hundreds of miles of previously uncontested border, most of it is not set up to stop actual concerted, well-equipped, supported Ukrainian pushes because Russia had assumed that Ukraine was not going to push into Russian territory.

They're also screwed by doctrine. The way most militaries would deal with these sort of raids is by stringing quick reaction forces in company strength along the border. They'd keep a platoon on alert at all times and be able to call on supporting fires and have organic drone support for recon. This calls for initiative and flexibility from the leadership of that unit, and the Russians just plain don't train that in their junior officers.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Der Kyhe posted:

We here in Finland have the exact same idiots in the Left Alliance and Social democrats: grown up pioneer youth, old Leninists and Stalinists, couple of Trostkyists and assorted number of "West and NATO always wrong, Russia always right"-pipebrains taking Putin's money because it was easy money, and easy political points to score by parroting "remember how close we used to be to the USSR, just say no to war" to the cultural elite. In the last elections few went down with the ship refusing to back down from openly supporting Russia and opposing Finland joining NATO, several changed opinion or declared that they have no strong opinion on these issues to salvage what was left of their political career. Old has-beens, useful idiots and Putin apologists, the whole lot. Few maybe even worth investigating for a treason, but that will be probably just swept under the rug like the time we found out that the then-sitting president was a Stasi spy.

In Reddit some idiot tried to argue me that "the Red party and their anti-NATO, anti-USA campaigns and rhetoric are not obstructionism, or being useful idiots or Russia collaboration by trying to sow discontent, look they support the war in Ukraine!". Well yes, they probably do. Just not the side which most of the EU and Nordics support.
It's worth noting they're a minority though, one that appears to be completely irrelevant now. It was an SDP-led government with the Left Alliance in it that unanimously (on a party level) brought us into NATO after all.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1665283409248153604
What goes around comes back around.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Tree Bucket posted:

Look, those babies knew what they signed up for when they chose to be born in a country that chose to get de-nazified by the other country that allied with the nazis to attack poland which was perfectly justified because of nazi aggression which was the fault of the west, and if you believe otherwise you're a fool; also russia would never invade and even if they did invade they'd win instantly and even if they didn't win instantly it's immoral to fight back; and the moskva is fine and even if it isn't fine it's just in repairs and even if it's sunk, that's because of bad weather, and if it isn't because of bad weather, then it's a war crime on par with bombing a bridge which is simultaneously laughably ineffectual and a heinous act of provocation by the west such as warrants a renewed wave of air strikes against The Ukraine's strategic orphanages and tactical guide dog puppy training schools.

Indeed

beer_war posted:

https://twitter.com/Snowden/status/1492223626585808903?lang=de

Snowden tweeted this shortly before the full-scale invasion, then had the self-awareness to mostly shut up for a while. I vaguely remember him having the occasional bad take since, but nothing on the level of posing with Z signs or talking about the "Kiev regime".

I will always respect Snowden for his whistle blowing. And honestly, I don't disagree with the sentiment here taken at face value.

But man, he might have a higher level of self regard than anyone outside of Donald Trump. Man just LOVES himself some Edward Snowden. Lol at that profile picture of his and double lol at his insane levels of perceived self importance.

Strategic Tea posted:

Multipolarniks create a prison and call it peace.

I feel like some memetic truism needs to make the rounds. Because peace without freedom means gently caress ALL. It's 'peaceful' slavery. It's 'peaceful' oppression. It's 'peaceful' violence, when it comes down to it.

If freedom wasn't more important than peace, nazi Europe would still be going strong. The US civil war never would've happened, and human slavery would still be legal in some places. Or perhaps the entire world would still be divided between the colonialist European powers of the 1600s, with the 'natives' second class citizens in their own country. Peace is what we should strive towards, but peace through submission to force can SUCK my rear end.

Play fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jun 5, 2023

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Play posted:

peace through submission to force can SUCK my rear end.

I remember when Frederick Douglass said that.

Gros Tarla
Dec 30, 2008

Bone Crimes posted:

This really seems like some incredible incompetence, am I understanding things right?

You're all caught up.

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

EasilyConfused posted:

I remember when Frederick Douglass said that.

"Putin is a real piece of poo poo"

-Ghandi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Maks_NAFO_FELLA/status/1665377529450962946
Igor weighs in on the situation in Belgorod again.