Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Piell posted:

Sentinel for armor is always an option

Honestly pretty tempting considering my character has very low AC and not enough STR to get a champion of Urgathoa dedication. Thanks for the recommendation!

Jarvisi posted:

Have you considered chronoskimmer for dumb bullshit whenever you roll initiative or fail a skill check?

I've strayed away from looking at anything beyond Uncommon for archetypes because I feel like they're very campaign specific, but i'll definitely take a look at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Syntaxed posted:

In the spirit of not ALWAYS recommending Electric Arc (but it is always the best...), I'd say you should take Scatter Scree https://pf2easy.com/index.php?id=16946&name=scatter_scree as a cantrip if you want some utility + damage. Has the advantage of putting down two squares with some difficult terrain in a cramped hallway or the enemy can waste actions clearing it. There are many hallways AV as you've probably seen.

The difficult terrain means enemy can't Step in to a choke point and then you'd get some stand still swipes with a Bo Staff + it can do some bludgeoning damage which is decent even if your dc is kind of low. If enemies are next to each other can be nice to get two for one. Best part is you could Cantrip for Reflex Save + Two Strikes with Flurry of Blows at full map and 2nd strike map if you don't have to move. That would be a pretty strong turn of battlefield control and putting in your best swings and potentially getting a Stand Still attempt out of it.

Ooh that sounds really cool.

Smack a ghoul with the staff, throw down some rocks, then do that Neo hand gesture thing.

Crit off Standing Still also cancels their movement so they'd have to walk through the dumb rocks again.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Arrrthritis posted:

Honestly pretty tempting considering my character has very low AC and not enough STR to get a champion of Urgathoa dedication. Thanks for the recommendation!

I've strayed away from looking at anything beyond Uncommon for archetypes because I feel like they're very campaign specific, but i'll definitely take a look at it.

Rare stuff is generally 'can you get your DM to agree to it', just like uncommon. They're just weirder.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I feel like the rarity system is used for several different things, in a rather confusing way. In some cases (e.g., focus spells) "uncommon" is just a way of expressing a prerequisite. In other cases it's more a way of letting your DM veto something if it doesn't make sense (in either setting or power level terms) in the campaign. Thirdly, there's some things that are probably tagged as uncommon or rare for setting reasons. Raise Dead, for example, is uncommon but unrestricted in Organized Play, which struck me as a way of saying, "yes, PCs can come back from the dead, but it's not actually something that happens all the time in-universe." Finally, there's some ancestries that basically seem to be designated uncommon or rare as a "cosmetic reward" thing in an Organized Play context.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
A lot of information gathering stuff is Uncommon at minimum because it cuts off entire adventure premises from your DM, which sucks rear end.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

A lot of information gathering stuff is Uncommon at minimum because it cuts off entire adventure premises from your DM, which sucks rear end.

Oh yeah. Detect Alignment, Detect Poison, Locate, Mind Reading, Detect Creator, Detect Scrying, Discern Lies, Forgotten Lines, Ghostly Tragedy, Read Omens, Web of Influence, Mind Probe, Telepathic Bond, Tongues, Catch Your Name, Scrying, Discern Location...and that's just the Divination spells!

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
It's kind of irritating to want to do hand crossbow close combat silliness, but the archetype is uncommon cause AV path tagged yeah.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Kitfox88 posted:

It's kind of irritating to want to do hand crossbow close combat silliness, but the archetype is uncommon cause AV path tagged yeah.

You can use uncommon stuff. Just ask your gm.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Someone leaked the new playable races coming in Howl of the Wild, so Paizo decided to just announce them now:

https://paizo.com/community/blog/v5748dyo6sibw?Meet-the-Crew-of-the-Zoetrope

Minotaur, Centaur, Merfolk, Awakened Animal, Athamaru, and Surki.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I wonder if the Awakened Animal doctor was a deliberate One Piece reference.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

3 Action Economist posted:

Someone leaked the new playable races coming in Howl of the Wild, so Paizo decided to just announce them now:

Did they leak any new rules for the ancestries? I'm really interested to see what being a size large minotaur invloves.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Played another session of Pathfinder Society on Friday. Made my own character, a fighter who's going to lean in to wrestling, and really enjoyed how I already felt equipped at level 1 to do what I wanted to do- sprint across the battlefield and push/toss things around. I pulled a flying gremlin out of the air, tackled a small drake off a player it was biting, and chased a witch around to the point of really neutralizing her from the final fight.

Also picked up Lost Omens Travel Guide since they had it at the store and figured since they weren't charging us for the play space, should show some appreciation. A pretty good book! Avoids being generic without getting too in the weeds on anything. Also appreciate it trying to navigate between the 'classic' world of LotR/F20 and their more kitchen-sink world.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

KPC_Mammon posted:

Did they leak any new rules for the ancestries? I'm really interested to see what being a size large minotaur invloves.

No, the leak was just an article using art featuring all the iconic characters from the book. We have some info from the Paizocon panel, but they didn't get into what being a large PC means mechanically.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

4 legs race hell yeah

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Dr Pom is better than whoever the gently caress your character is.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Giving Merfolk wheelchairs to let them adventure on land is so simple and obvious and I don’t know why it’s not been done before.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Chevy Slyme posted:

Giving Merfolk wheelchairs to let them adventure on land is so simple and obvious and I don’t know why it’s not been done before.

There was the Fins to Feet spell in 1e, and I've seen a "Tailband of Aerial Swimming" which just let Merfolk swim through air, though they had to always stay with 5 feet of the ground.

But yes, the wheelchairs make sense.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Kvantum posted:

There was the Fins to Feet spell in 1e, and I've seen a "Tailband of Aerial Swimming" which just let Merfolk swim through air, though they had to always stay with 5 feet of the ground.

But yes, the wheelchairs make sense.

Yes. Neither of those solutions is simple or obvious.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Chevy Slyme posted:

Yes. Neither of those solutions is simple or obvious.

Accessibility devices weren't really a thing in RPGs until the disability groups got going as part of 5e/the hobby growing recently (an excellent thing, to be clear), and then it makes sense when you've already got stats for wheelchairs in the core rulebooks to go "OH WHAT ABOUT A MERMAID WHEELCHAIR"

e: and by not really a thing, I mean I remember rules in Pathfinder 1e and so on for "WHAT IF YOUR ARM GOT CHOPPED OFF HERE'S A COOL PROSTHETIC" but nothing really wheelchair or wheelchair analogue, which reflects these things being largely designed by able people for telling fantasy stories and nothing else.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Chevy Slyme posted:

They did something similar in the art for Fellowship's underwater elves, but even that was a big chunky robot with legs and not just a cool wheelchair.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Arivia posted:

e: and by not really a thing, I mean I remember rules in Pathfinder 1e and so on for "WHAT IF YOUR ARM GOT CHOPPED OFF HERE'S A COOL PROSTHETIC" but nothing really wheelchair or wheelchair analogue, which reflects these things being largely designed by able people for telling fantasy stories and nothing else.

In Rusty Quill Gaming there's a section where a character has (without spoilers) lost the ability to walk, and uses periodic casts of Floating Disk as a transport method that pretty much replicates the function of a wheelchair, but I'm delighted to see how much Pathfinder has done to work accessibility tools into core game design.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Arivia posted:

Accessibility devices weren't really a thing in RPGs until the disability groups got going as part of 5e/the hobby growing recently

Feelings about WOTC and 5ed itself aside, the fact that it brought tabletop RPGs into the mainstream and by extension made the hobby more inclusive is something that I'll always love about it.

Sure, other games and companies do a way better job about inclusion and modernizing the games, but 5ed is the reason why the hobby has reached communities that have been excluded from it for ages. Thinking about how toxic and lovely the community was when I first joined some 20 years ago and how it is today makes me very happy.

Also, reading the complaints from the grognards I know from back there is music to my ears. Oh you're angry about a canonically lgbtq character in d&d? Sucks to be you.

(To be fair, my experience is very different from most posters here, having started playing ttrpgs back in Latin America, so I may be a bit off base)

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

That tracks for me. There have always been welcoming and broadly non-bigoted ttrpgs spaces, but in the past it was always easier for me to find a group of folks like that to play a story game with and harder to find anything tactical or crunchy. Now I can have it all.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
So like, this movement has been driven far less by WotC, they've just kinda been dragged along with the tides, with all the constant gently caress ups and rake stepping that come with a corpo trying to adjust and change with the times.

Turns out when a bunch of theater and improv kids and poo poo get interested in D&D through actual plays, and the like and that becomes a larger market share of users. The Company is going to be forced that direction regardless, unless like they really really are ideologically against inclusion.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

oh yeah, this is very much a situation where WOTC's contribution is more like "uh, fine" than "we shall lead the way".

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Yeah to be clear I’m absolutely not giving WotC credit, but the player base expansion that came in with 5e pushed it. There’s that one lady who wrote the pathfinder wheelchairs in particular, she deserves her due.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Chevy Slyme posted:

Wheelchairs are certianly new but the basic idea was present in 1e, I don't know if it ever ended up in actual rulebooks but the idea of a small cart for a merfolk on land was definitely around in play. Now that the setting has explicit wheelchairs they're obviously a much better purpose-built solution, though.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Pathfinder was super, super edgy early on, and they trafficked in a lot of the misogyny (especially in artwork), bigotry, and ableism of a bunch of 2000s geeky dudes' wildest dreams, but they've at least been consistently inclusive of queer identities since the start

I believe primarily because James Jacobs is bi, vocal about it, and insisted on including LGBT people in the setting

the sea change in ttrpg players just made it possible to turn it from, like, a blurb in their flavor text or something stated on the forums to multiple paragraphs talking about how a transwoman has a complex relationship with but loves and supports her nonbinary child as they team up to fight the undead (see: lost omens: legends about the Iomedars for this exact thing)

Jen X fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jun 5, 2023

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Jen X posted:

Pathfinder was super, super edgy early on, and they trafficked in a lot of the misogyny (especially in artwork), bigotry, and ableism, of a bunch of 2000s geeky dudes' wildest dreams, but they've at least been consistently inclusive of queer identities since the start

The artwork was a bit bipolar in the beginning, very true. We had the older design for Seoni the iconic Sorcerer juxtaposed right next to Seelah and Kyra.

As far as identities for NPCs, the first real presence I remember of a trans NPC was in Wrath of the Righteous, where two of the main support NPCs were Irabeth, a half-orc paladin and her trans wife Anevia. You end up finding the family heirloom sword that Irabeth sold off to pay for Anevia's transition. That adventure path was five years into Pathfinder 1e. Were there trans NPCs before then and I was just clueless?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Kvantum posted:

The artwork was a bit bipolar in the beginning, very true. We had the older design for Seoni the iconic Sorcerer juxtaposed right next to Seelah and Kyra.

As far as identities for NPCs, the first real presence I remember of a trans NPC was in Wrath of the Righteous, where two of the main support NPCs were Irabeth, a half-orc paladin and her trans wife Anevia. You end up finding the family heirloom sword that Irabeth sold off to pay for Anevia's transition. That adventure path was five years into Pathfinder 1e. Were there trans NPCs before then and I was just clueless?

Anevia was the first. Crystal Frasier (trans) and Amber Scott pushed to include her. Then Shardra, the iconic shaman in 1e, was also a trans woman.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Kvantum posted:

I dunno, honestly! I know that wrath of the righteous came out in 2013 with Anevia, and the iconic shaman character, announced in 2014, is very explicitly (as in, her bio literally says it) trans, but idk if there were others before them

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

We ran into another enemy in Gatewalkers that gave us trouble, this time with relatively high melee resistance and reflexes. Our GM's sister joined the party as an anadi rogue and he got to traumatize her with the enemy's special attack so he was thrilled. Our psychic bailed us out by getting a near max damage crit with his amped imaginary 2h hammer. We're up to six players now so I'm curious if he's going to mess with the difficulty much. Fights so far are either over in 1.5 rounds or they go on forever with everyone whiffing and getting frustrated. We're all still learning and having fun though I think.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Jen X posted:

Pathfinder was super, super edgy early on, and they trafficked in a lot of the misogyny (especially in artwork), bigotry, and ableism of a bunch of 2000s geeky dudes' wildest dreams, but they've at least been consistently inclusive of queer identities since the start

They've been correcting the extra cheesecake in their hot evil chick villains by redeeming them and as a redeemed hot evil chick simp, I am down with it.

1e/2e Nocticula

1e/2e Sorshen

1e/2e Arazni

Looking forward to nicer, chiller Urgathoa in 3e.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I'm far from an expert on Pathfinder lore stuff, but didn't Sorshen do things that were really, really bad? Like, "sexual slavery on a massive scale" bad? Should she really have been "redeemed"? :can:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Silver2195 posted:

I'm far from an expert on Pathfinder lore stuff, but didn't Sorshen do things that were really, really bad? Like, "sexual slavery on a massive scale" bad? Should she really have been "redeemed"? :can:

just wait until you hear about the things nocticula did

you know, being a demon lord and all

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Silver2195 posted:

She learned during her 5000 year timeout that the evil tyrant schtick wasn't going to work anymore

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Andrast posted:

just wait until you hear about the things nocticula did

you know, being a demon lord and all

The lore wiki page on Nocticula is pretty vague about what specific bad things she did; her career as a demon lord seems to have consisted mostly of killing other demon lords. Whereas Sorshen's "lustfulness" is specifically tied to her mastery of mind control magic, and this is central to the concept of Thassilonian Rune Magic; even if you ignore all more specific 1e lore, that's unavoidably icky.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Silver2195 posted:

The lore wiki page on Nocticula is pretty vague about what specific bad things she did; her career as a demon lord seems to have consisted mostly of killing other demon lords. Whereas Sorshen's "lustfulness" is specifically tied to her mastery of mind control magic, and this is central to the concept of Thassilonian Rune Magic; even if you ignore all more specific 1e lore, that's unavoidably icky.

Nocticula was the queen of succubi and was explicitly a sadist, and you think she's responsible for less reprehensible sex crimes than a single rune mage? Have you seen what succubi get up to in Wrath of the Righteous?

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
Considering she's a mythic expert in mind control magic and charisma, her entire redemption story is probably just a result of getting 80 on a bluff check.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Taciturn Tactician posted:

Nocticula was the queen of succubi and was explicitly a sadist, and you think she's responsible for less reprehensible sex crimes than a single rune mage? Have you seen what succubi get up to in Wrath of the Righteous?

If you're asking whether I would expect better morals from a demon/devil over a wizard, the answer is yes every time.