Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

DPD have done a pride month theme for their app so all the buttons are rainbows and the van is a unicorn

They’ve also only got ~9 minutes to get over the bridge with my parcel I paid especially to get before 10:30 because I’ve got poo poo to do, so this is a good sign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grobbo
May 29, 2014

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Plenty liberal Remainers living in urban centres (sufh as the entire Guardian) are still convinced every Leave voter was either a open or closet racist (as Farage was). That was only a small fraction of leave voters. Leave won by tapping into nostalgia - Boris Johnsons idea of Great Britaine going it's own way and not being controlled by bonkers EU rules. It's how things were when they were kids, and things were better then than all the grim stuff in the news these days (please don't question why the news is pushing more and more negativity in their face).

I don't think you can easily separate the two motivations, though.

The media narratives raging about how the EU was forcing us to accept non-bendy bananas or change the name of Cumberland sausages to 'meat-based cylinder product' have always been close cousins to the media narratives raging about how a five-bedroom council house has been gifted to T. Errorist Sexcrime and his fifteen children, and often followed the exact same formula.

Plenty of Brits who wouldn't consider themselves racist nevertheless bought into to the belief that Sensible Britain has been helpless to protect itself against a corrupt and foolhardy European legislature hurling foreign sex criminals at us or waving through fleets of grinning migrants across the Channel with their benefit forms pre-filled in.

The UK press have doggedly spent 30 years or longer building up the collective belief that a loony but vaguely all-powerful cabal of politically-correct bureaucrats/lefty academics/activists have absolute control over our societal direction and are daily forcing outrageous progressive changes down our throats that empower scroungers, criminals, and parasites. And wherever possible that role of the progressive heel has been assigned to the EU, and the role of the parasite has been assigned to foreigners from Eastern Europe or further afield.

It's why some Leave voters clearly did believe that their vote was a vote against non-EU migration regardless of the facts, because all of these issues have been conflated and melded into a single song of outrage.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/KevPBolger/status/1665617932208963584

ECHR is the EU now....

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/petertatchell/status/1665058306182742017?s=46&t=ARI_L-v32Oind1-d9B3a3Q

Huh, they've officially lost Peter Tatchell. That's a significant indicator of the melty soft-left starting to rediscover their long-buried survival instincts.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Donny council put solar panels on my old house and it took them 5 years to realise that they weren't even wired up.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Just flipped over a calendar that was clearly printed before a certain event last year because it reminded me that today was meant to be a national holiday for Brenda's birthday.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Darth Walrus posted:

https://twitter.com/petertatchell/status/1665058306182742017?s=46&t=ARI_L-v32Oind1-d9B3a3Q

Huh, they've officially lost Peter Tatchell. That's a significant indicator of the melty soft-left starting to rediscover their long-buried survival instincts.

He's been a Green since 2004, unless he switched back under Corbs

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Call the transport police.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I'm too stupid for my t-shirt, too stupid for my t-shirt

https://twitter.com/Marsh4LL1/status/1665447514256859138?s=20

I'm too sexy for my brain, it's been flushed down the drain

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

sebzilla posted:

He's been a Green since 2004, unless he switched back under Corbs

I believe quite a few people did, myself included.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
If you actually believe that every single Brexit voter was a big dumb racist as opposed to someone deeply unhappy with the status quo falling for the false promises of superficial but essentially unchallenged populist rhetoric out of desperation then I think you're probably a lib dem centrist dad or at the very least quite silly.

It's a good case study for how generally decent people can be coerced into supporting extremism by proxy via ideological media hegemony etc though, I guess. I think in that sense it should actually be far more troubling than if every Brexiteer was a card carrying national front member.

E: which is not to say that there weren't decent reasons for distrusting the EU, but the lexit brigade played right into the hands of the enemy in the context of Brexit

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That presumes that big dumb racist is something people are in their hearts rather than what they do with the slightest provocation.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

ThomasPaine posted:

If you actually believe that every single Brexit voter was a big dumb racist as opposed to someone deeply unhappy with the status quo falling for the false promises of superficial but essentially unchallenged populist rhetoric out of desperation then I think you're probably a lib dem centrist dad or at the very least quite silly.

I don't believe that everyone who voted for Brexit is a racist oval office. But I do believe that everyone who still wants Brexit is a racist oval office.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
otoh the EU is a white supremacist group and still tolerates Viktor Orbán's stupid poo poo

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Also the EU has a provision now that public services *must* be put up for private bidding first. There's some gripes about it in the Europol thread, which has been a lot quieter since we banned a bunch of racist goons a few years back.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Z the IVth posted:

Counting down until Farage bathwater, bottled sweat and subscribers only foot photos.
Probably a sound business plan, I can confidently say I’d pay almost any amount to avoid these

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Did the DPD unicorn make it in time?

And re: home improvements - I looked at getting my windows redone, but one agent was obviously more interested in selling me a payment plan than windows, and the other quoted 10k, down to 8 if I bought them right then, and based on their figures it would take a hundred years to pay for itself, so whilst I could have bought them, I decided a horse would be more fun (yes, wall, guillotine etc) and got my brother to come down and help put up internal secondary glazing for a total cost of about 600 pounds for the panels and other gubbins. (I have 6 insanely large windows).

I like the idea of solar, but think I'd need the permission of the freeholder as I think he owns the roof.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

ThomasPaine posted:

I'm just real fuckin angry tbh and I have been since the referendum.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I kinda want to be but then they keep providing a platform for this poo poo so lol

Oct 4, 2005

I'm still angry that Boris got elected.

My faith in people took a real hit that day.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

1965917 posted:

a majority of the voting public of the UK are malicious, small minded fucks who would vote to cut off their left hand if it meant the people they hate lost both.

later they will blame immigrants for stealing their hand.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It is possible to simultaneously think the EU is bad but also not trust the vast majority of other people who thought that at the time of the referendum, and who subsequently voted conservative over it, because they probably thought it for extremely stupid reasons.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

1965917 posted:

I'm still angry that Thatcher got elected, & I wasn't even born then.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

It is possible to simultaneously think the EU is bad but also not trust the vast majority of other people who thought that at the time of the referendum, and who subsequently voted conservative over it, because they probably thought it for extremely stupid reasons.

tbf a lot of those people died, from old age and boris johnson respectively

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Guavanaut posted:

I kinda want to be but then they keep providing a platform for this poo poo so lol

I mean the other countries that are claimed as parts of Greater Hungary are also in the EU and I don't think Hungarian revanchism is particularly popular anywhere outside of Hungary (and maybe some parts of Austria).

You could argue the EU doesn't do enough to bring down Orban but that is very difficult to do when he has very high levels of domestic support, at least if you don't want to invade the country.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

He has domestic support because he spends fuckloads of EU money on popular poo poo. They should close the spigot but they can't because they're too supine and also beholden to Poland's fascist pricks.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

https://twitter.com/nytodaynew/status/1665194554956591111?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

Tesseraction posted:

He has domestic support because he spends fuckloads of EU money on popular poo poo. They should close the spigot but they can't because they're too supine and also beholden to Poland's fascist pricks.

Nah that's not why he is popular, it's more his fash rhetoric and being credited with recovery from the last economic crisis.

His predecessors (socdems) also spent lots of EU money, but they openly mocked the electorate and were just as corrupt, which the nationalists then used to completely dismantle them in elections.

There is basically no opposition in the country aside from some scattered liberals.

e:
Also while the EU funds are not a chump change (as below) it's only a small proportion of the Hungarian budget overall; plus they are already frozen in part:

https://www.investigate-europe.eu/en/2022/explainer-europe-cuts-off-funds-for-hungary-what-is-at-stake/ posted:

Regional funds
The European Commission proposed to freeze 65%of the regional funds to Hungary for the years 2021-2027, which amounts to €7.5 billion.

Quite honestly I think Hungarian voters as a whole would support a Hungexit if they were told "you get no money or Orban goes". He really is massively popular and has been for a while.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Jun 5, 2023

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Either way I propose we invade Hungary under the adopted title of the Soros International Brigades if only to cause millions of neonazis to die instantly from rage strokes.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Black and orange are flavours of fash, while the teal are mostly liberals.

e: Note that this is proportional, not FPTP, under FPTP it would be more like 90% seats at least.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jun 5, 2023

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Angrymog posted:

Did the DPD unicorn make it in time?

It did not. Only 50 minutes late but better than the last few ‘drive past the house and take a photo out the van window to say we tried’ deliveries I’ve had from them.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1665645642906058753

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Dead Goon fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Jun 5, 2023

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
leave campaign was simple- vote to leave. there were a few factions within (and almost all of them were racist as gently caress) but the mechanism was the same, point out problems with the eu both extant and imaginary that have been tabloid tropes for decades- they had a motivated core voting base before the campaign even opened

remain campaign was running around largely trying to debunk the other side while making out that the eu was great actually, but the group of tryhards was tiny compared with leave's- they never gained the initiative and they never really tried to appeal to those who weren't too keen on the eu but also were wary of leave- even being seven, seven and a half out of ten wasn't enough for them

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
International humanitarian law prohibits collective punishment of prisoners of war or other protected persons for acts committed by individuals during an armed conflict. The imposition of collective punishment is a war crime.

Par for the course for Labour 'rising stars'

Private Speech posted:

I mean the other countries that are claimed as parts of Greater Hungary are also in the EU and I don't think Hungarian revanchism is particularly popular anywhere outside of Hungary (and maybe some parts of Austria).
That's not great for internal unity though. "We need to listen to all voices, so here's fashy Vic who thinks it's a grave injustice that your country exists."

It's more than just a bit unpopular with e.g. Romanians who joined the EU in the spirit and expectation of no longer having to tolerate that kind of poo poo.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Not that I want to defend Mandelson, I don't think we should endorse The New York Today New as a news source.

Comrade Fakename fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Jun 5, 2023

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive

i mean the mail is barely more reputable but

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
They've not even paid their $8

franco
Jan 3, 2003
Up until a couple of days ago I had a long, shaggy mess of hair not unlike a clown wig. I got it cut and it's super-short with a lot of close shaving around the back and sides. They did a really good job and I like it. My mum asked me to send her a picture. I did. She clearly showed my dad as I spoke to him on the phone afterwards and he said I look like Keir Starmer. I think I'm more insulted than when a customer at work called me a "loving ugly oval office".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Sir Shear Barnet