Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

Judge Schnoopy posted:

It feels like DTS selects 5 teams to focus on for the season, and then swap out for storylines. I can't remember seeing Aston Martin anywhere in the show and they dropped focus on Williams after two years of "yeah they're still the underdog lol".

Racing point force India was turned into Aston Martin (spoilers I guess?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
I think some teams just participate more than others. williams probably can’t afford the electric bill from letting the crew plug in their cameras and lights and stuff

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Sunk Dunk posted:

Do you think the broadcast is purposefully bad to try and get people to subscribe to f1tv? It’s about to work on me
f1tv is better overall

their post race stuff isn't quite as spicy, but any interesting info gleaned from that shows up quickly anyway

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
I have both Sky F1 and F1 TV Pro and it's worth every second of extra steps of switching on the VPN to watch F1 TV to not subject myself to listening to the fat shouty man and the dementia patient fumble their way through a broadcast.

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

f1tv is better overall

their post race stuff isn't quite as spicy, but any interesting info gleaned from that shows up quickly anyway

It's a minor benefit, but the driver feeds are kinda fun sometimes. You can get some interesting video about pitlane procedure by team, amusing "lap of shame" drives back to pit after crashes, and most importantly Yuki's messages to his engineer uncensored. It's also neat to watch races and hear just the track sounds with no commentary.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

uninterrupted posted:

Racing point force India was turned into Aston Martin (spoilers I guess?)

Ugh wait I thought I had this mapped out. Didn't racing point force India, with the pink cars, become Alpine?

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Dr. Gojo Shioji posted:

It's a minor benefit, but the driver feeds are kinda fun sometimes. You can get some interesting video about pitlane procedure by team, amusing "lap of shame" drives back to pit after crashes, and most importantly Yuki's messages to his engineer uncensored. It's also neat to watch races and hear just the track sounds with no commentary.

yeah i love this. i think on basically every race you can turn off the commentary and just have the ambient track sounds, makes it nice to put on older races in the background while i work (don't work(

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

the milk machine posted:

I think some teams just participate more than others. williams probably can’t afford the electric bill from letting the crew plug in their cameras and lights and stuff

Williams must be doing alright to give up Latifi's mommy bucks and subsidies from the Government of Canada. It will forever be shameful that we funded that shitbox car and goat driver.

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Ugh wait I thought I had this mapped out. Didn't racing point force India, with the pink cars, become Alpine?

No, the pink was because of BWT sponsorship. BWT moved sponsorship from (T)Racing Point/Aston Martin to Alpine (which is the renamed factory Renault team).

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

i just assume it goes without saying that F1TV's live commentary is miles better than loving brundle and croft

they also sorta rotate people, which is nice. they had an american guy who does indycar a lot for the miami GP and i actually thought he did well

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Dr. Gojo Shioji posted:

No, the pink was because of BWT sponsorship. BWT moved sponsorship from (T)Racing Point/Aston Martin to Alpine (which is the renamed factory Renault team).

Ohhhh ok and Stroll just took his money over to Aston Martin trying to buy a win for his kid. Somebody should make an infographic about this for new folks

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

Judge Schnoopy posted:

racing point force India got acquired post-legal issues by a group headed by Lawrence stroll, he put his idiot son in a car, and I think year after rebranded to Aston Martin. Renault became Alpine (its a sports car brand under Renault), and alpine picked up bwt as a sponsor I think? Not sure exactly what bwt is but that's where the pink in the livery comes from.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Ohhhh ok and Stroll just took his money over to Aston Martin trying to buy a win for his kid. Somebody should make an infographic about this for new folks

Force India > Racing Point > Aston Martin
Toro Rosso > Alpha Tauri
Renault > Alpine
Alfa Romeo > Sauber (24-25) > Audi (26+)

More stuff line engines and drivers but that is the gist of it.

Zedd fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jun 5, 2023

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Judge Schnoopy posted:

You can trace most of the teams on the grid back decades of former teams. I think I'm right in saying that the current Alpine entry dates back to Renault in the 80s with stints as Benetton and as Lotus F1 during that period. Aston Martin was originally Jordan before being sold to become Midland Racing, then Spyker F1, Force India and Racing Point. Mercedes Benz' slot has been run by Brawn, Honda, BAR and Tyrell going back to the 1970s. Red Bull's entry started out as Stewart/Ford and became Jaguar.

e: Haas was previously Marussia which started out as Manor and I think they along with HRT and Caterham were the last new entries that were added to the grid? HRT and Caterham went to the wall and couldn't find buyers?

Theophany fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jun 5, 2023

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

bwt is some water filter company iirc

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Haas is just Haas, they did buy some facilities of defunct teams to start their UK base but they aren't a restart/rebrand/etc or another team.

Current rumors has it though that they will get a deal with Alfa Romeo next year for a name.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

BEST
WATER
TECHNOLOGY

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

uninterrupted posted:

racing point force India got acquired post-legal issues by a group headed by Lawrence stroll, he put his idiot son in a car, and I think year after rebranded to Aston Martin. Renault became Alpine (its a sports car brand under Renault), and alpine picked up bwt as a sponsor I think? Not sure exactly what bwt is but that's where the pink in the livery comes from.

don't forget the pink mercedes year was the last year of racing point, and now we have the green red bull. daddy stroll has a particular way of doing business :xd:

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Zedd posted:

Haas is just Haas, they did buy some facilities of defunct teams to start their UK base but they aren't a restart/rebrand/etc or another team.

Current rumors has it though that they will get a deal with Alfa Romeo next year for a name.

early haas and current haas aren’t related at all which blew my mind. carl haas and gene haas are just two separate racing haases

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

I think HRT just sorta... disappeared.

e: yeah wiki says they were liquidated

drat

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing

quote:

DETROIT – With the 2023 Formula One season turning into a Red Bull runaway, Will Power believes the NTT IndyCar Series deserves respect as the world’s most difficult single-seater racing series.

“It’s so tough, an amazing field, the toughest field in the world, and people need to know it, especially compared to Formula One,” the defending IndyCar champion told NBC Sports during a media luncheon a few days ahead of Sunday’s Chevrolet Detroit Grand Prix. “Formula One’s a joke as far as competition, but not as far as drivers. They have amazing drivers. And I feel sorry for them that they don’t get to experience the satisfaction we do with our racing because that is the top level of open-wheel motorsport.

“I think Formula One would be so much better if they had a formula like IndyCar. I love the technology and the manufacturer side of it. I think that’s awesome. But from a spectator watching, man, how cool would it be if everyone had a Red Bull (car)?

Imagine if everyone had a red bull car, and also imagine if the red bull car was 7 seconds slower than it is now.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

there;s been some name changes but the last ~10 years of F1 have been very stable with respect to entries. the result of the money required to be at all competitive anymore, among many other things i suspect

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Will power and his new friend flava Flav will make Indycar the pinnacle motor racing spectacle in the world*
*On the streets of dying cities

aluminumonkey
Jun 19, 2002

Reggie loves tacos

Spaced God posted:

Will power and his new friend flava Flav will make Indycar the pinnacle motor racing spectacle in the world*
*On the streets of dying cities

Hey now...Detroit has been dead for years. Show some respect.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Dr. Gojo Shioji posted:

I wish it was a little more watchable as a primary feed. Like if they had the timing tower graphic and the option for commentary, you could watch a whole race from your favorite driver and still know what was going on.

I guess most people who use it during a race have some kind of multi viewer?

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

smackfu posted:

I wish it was a little more watchable as a primary feed. Like if they had the timing tower graphic and the option for commentary, you could watch a whole race from your favorite driver and still know what was going on.

i watch F1TV on my appletv, and then use my phone or a computer to see the driver feeds from time to time

Anonymouse Mook
Jul 12, 2006

Showing Vettel the way since 1979

Charles Leclerc posted:

You can trace most of the teams on the grid back decades of former teams. I think I'm right in saying that the current Alpine entry dates back to Renault in the 80s with stints as Benetton and as Lotus F1 during that period.

Not quite. Alpine can be traced back to Toleman. They then became Benetton (after taking the Benetton sponsorship from stints at Tyrrell and Alfa Romeo (not the current Alfa)

After Benetton they became the works Renault team. After the crashgate controversy in 2008-2009 they sold the team to Genii Capital who then called them Lotus (not to be confused with Team Lotus or Lotus Racing/Team Lotus), but still using a Renault engines. (aside from running Mercedes in 2015)

By this point, Renault decided they wanted a works team again, so they bought the team back and slowly edged it forward. Then when things started to look kinda positive they rebranded as Alpine in ‘21

To my knowledge, the 70’s-80’s Renault just closed down as a team and never went in under other names.

PatentPending
Nov 27, 2007

[1950s eel-based dad joke]

smackfu posted:

https://multiviewer.app/

Best thing about it is that you don’t get image thumbnails when selecting a video, so you don’t see the victor celebrating or the race-deciding crash they always use.

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
I think I'm becoming a Max fan. He's just too good to hate. I think I even detected an orange tinge to my piss this morning.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

marshalljim posted:

I think I'm becoming a Max fan. He's just too good to hate. I think I even detected an orange tinge to my piss this morning.

Once you correct that dehydration you'll start thinking straight again.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

Anonymouse Mook posted:

Not quite. Alpine can be traced back to Toleman. They then became Benetton (after taking the Benetton sponsorship from stints at Tyrrell and Alfa Romeo (not the current Alfa)

After Benetton they became the works Renault team. After the crashgate controversy in 2008-2009 they sold the team to Genii Capital who then called them Lotus (not to be confused with Team Lotus or Lotus Racing/Team Lotus), but still using a Renault engines. (aside from running Mercedes in 2015)

By this point, Renault decided they wanted a works team again, so they bought the team back and slowly edged it forward. Then when things started to look kinda positive they rebranded as Alpine in ‘21

To my knowledge, the 70’s-80’s Renault just closed down as a team and never went in under other names.

The best thing about Aston Martin is in the 06-08 era they were utter dogshit backmarkers. Jordan became Midland (I guess the shittiest part of England pooled together to buy an F1 team?), who then realised how expensive F1 was, sold to Spyker, because when you're a struggling boutique supercar maker the best idea is to pay through the nose to run at the back of the F1 field. They threw the towel in after a year and sold to Known Fraud Vijay Mallya, aka Some Indian Billionaire, who wanted an F1 team for....reasons, I guess? They spent 2008 being a team of Binmen and everyone figured history was going to repeat itself again but Vijay managed to leverage his billions to claw them into the midfield where they spent most of the 2010s. His fraudulent ways caught up with him in 2018 and the rest is history. So it's proof that a backmarker can escape the back of the grid, it just takes a LOT of money.

Also BWT went from being Force India's title sponsor and livery to Alpine's title sponsor and livery, which is maybe what confused that other poster.

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021

marshalljim posted:

i want to hate him, but he races so drat well. just look at how he dominates on the sim online too. it's really insane how he can jump into almost any car and hit the limit. he's next level

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

his sim racing is actually more impressive than the F1 because most series in iracing are spec

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

his sim racing is actually more impressive than the F1 because most series in iracing are spec
I'm starting to think these For-mul-Ah One Champion guys might be pretty good at driving cars. :hmmyes:

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

He honestly seems to get more joy out of sim racing than F1 racing at this point. It's probably more challenging to him.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I will never like Max Verstappen and if I start posting that I do it means my account was stolen or I'm in need of medical attention

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
Alonso and Albon are the only likable drivers in the field.

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021

MustardFacial posted:

Alonso and Albon are the only likable drivers in the field.

yuki slander

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
Zhou, too. He seems like the most down-to-earth guy on the grid