Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
im reading newey's book. a few chapters in and here is what i have learned thus far:

-his mom is (was?) attractive
-he doesn't know how to use CAD and draws everything and makes other people turn them into CAD
-he has a driver that picks him up so he can read his emails that are printed out for him on paper (it is not clear if he knows how to use a computer)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

honestly most of the drivers are pretty likable tbh, it's a grid of good lads who mean well.

except for max and george

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

We love Valtteri

Rebus
Jan 18, 2006

Meanwhile, somewhere in Grove, work begins on next season's Williams F1 car...

This is not F1 related but it made me think of this thread so I'd like to share it with all of you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFh8WubLzYY

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!

Sunk Dunk posted:

i want to hate him, but he races so drat well. just look at how he dominates on the sim online too. it's really insane how he can jump into almost any car and hit the limit. he's next level

He does leapfrog over the competition.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Rebus posted:

This is not F1 related but it made me think of this thread so I'd like to share it with all of you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFh8WubLzYY

Apparently this is the cousin of my friend from high school.

Thanks for coming to my ted talk.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Sunk Dunk posted:

im reading newey's book. a few chapters in and here is what i have learned thus far:

-his mom is (was?) attractive
-he doesn't know how to use CAD and draws everything and makes other people turn them into CAD
-he has a driver that picks him up so he can read his emails that are printed out for him on paper (it is not clear if he knows how to use a computer)

Hmmm sounds like there are some extremely talented engineers on the team interpreting/implementing newey's boomer fever-doodles.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

karoshi posted:

He does leapfrog over the competition.

yeah he's able to cut in on those right handers and left handers like no one else

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Baddog posted:

Hmmm sounds like there are some extremely talented engineers on the team interpreting/implementing newey's boomer fever-doodles.

that’s pretty much true; he’s supposedly less hands-on these days and generally lets the engineering teams work

FakeBlood
Oct 23, 2008

Alive and kicking.
When I think about it most of the current drivers are at least not-unlikeable. Lots of Nice Young Lads on the grid.

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
if you knew newey's email you could send him a penis and maybe they would print it out for him to read

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
i just tried that to adrian.newey@redbullracing.com, i'll let you know if he responds

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Maybe we can get Newey cancelled for not being environmentally responsible by still printing emails in tyool 2023

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
newey's book is pretty funny because he'll do a whole chapter on a particular car design and then will have two sentences like "and then my wife had another child. we divorced later."

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Huh fascinating goons love an F1 driver that refuses to workout.

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

Residency Evil posted:

I love Yuki because he's very pretty, but the same goes for Alonso.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Have we seen yukis bod?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

He's rocking a pac

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

going around corners at speed can build ridiculous core muscles

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

S1E6: Hamilton calling out teams that give seats to whoever has money and getting the appreciate bump from Esteben is :3:

E: Not a Perez fan.

E7: I"m watching with subtitles so I get to see stuff like (Man Groans) gently caress me! quite a bit, which is funny.
Grosjean seems very sympathetic.
Steiner: "Maybe I didn't invite him because he doesn't deserve any food" :wtc:

I'm really torn on whether to keep reacting to things from a blissful ignorance or spend some time Googleing and catching up on everything that's happened in F1 since 2018.

Bulky Bartokomous fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jun 6, 2023

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Residency Evil posted:

he was depressed because he had to live in Milton Keynes of all places. now he is in Italy and working hard. :japan:

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
oh thank god for cananda

PhoenixFlaccus
Jul 15, 2011

KFC Famous Bowl
Guenther was right

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
I did not mind that race.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Tsunoda’s penalty was horseshit though.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

acidx posted:

Imagine if everyone had a red bull car, and also imagine if the red bull car was 7 seconds slower than it is now.

The championship leader (who won the championship as a sophomore in 2021.) came from Super Formula lol, a series that he didn’t win. I don’t see anybody saying that about SF (because it’s not true, but also their cars are faster than Indycar’s) I love Indycar and CART but the inferiority complex is so strange.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Charles Leclerc posted:

On the one hand he was always a binman, but on the other if you can't even get a job on Sky Sports F1 as an ex-F1 driver (reminder that Johnny Herbert was paid to be on there for years) then perhaps you shouldn't be throwing stones, idk

Herbert tried to race in CART but all the teams told him to gently caress off after they heard his salary demands, and decided to hire Roberto Moreno for the same or better results at 15% of the cost.

Witeldram
Feb 22, 2022

Sunk Dunk posted:

oh thank god for cananda

Thank you Canada for giving us a good schedule and Lance Stroll :love:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Canadian Grand Prix should be good. I want to see more people bin it into the walls like last year and take the walk of shame down the nature trail on the other side of the barriers.

And then I'll watch for Minister Champagne hopping up and down like an energizer bunny at the trophy ceremony like he did last year.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

FAUXTON posted:

yeah he's able to cut in on those right handers and left handers like no one else

lol

it happens a lot when the rubber is lacking

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

SlowBloke posted:

Orange army doesn't give an individual gently caress on the quality of the sport as long as a dutchman wins.

if by some miracle max retires before de vries the orange army will be decimated.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Dictator. posted:

if by some miracle max retires before de vries the orange army will be decimated.

i laugh whenever i remember max is 3 years younger than nyck lmao

Alaois fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Jun 6, 2023

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Charles Leclerc posted:

You can trace most of the teams on the grid back decades of former teams. I think I'm right in saying that the current Alpine entry dates back to Renault in the 80s with stints as Benetton and as Lotus F1 during that period. Aston Martin was originally Jordan before being sold to become Midland Racing, then Spyker F1, Force India and Racing Point. Mercedes Benz' slot has been run by Brawn, Honda, BAR and Tyrell going back to the 1970s. Red Bull's entry started out as Stewart/Ford and became Jaguar.

e: Haas was previously Marussia which started out as Manor and I think they along with HRT and Caterham were the last new entries that were added to the grid? HRT and Caterham went to the wall and couldn't find buyers?

Further to the others, BAR only bought Tyrrell's entry. They used none of the "team" which was mostly sold to Paul Stoddart, the Minardi F1 2 seater is actually a Tyrrell.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

I'm really torn on whether to keep reacting to things from a blissful ignorance or spend some time Googleing and catching up on everything that's happened in F1 since 2018.
Do what you prefer yourself but I like these little trip reports. :3:

Arc Hammer posted:

The Canadian Grand Prix should be good. I want to see more people bin it into the walls like last year and take the walk of shame down the nature trail on the other side of the barriers.
The Wall of Champions yearns for Max.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Zedd posted:

Do what you prefer yourself but I like these little trip reports. :3:

I need very little encouragement. I finished season 1 last night. Stray thoughts:
- Nico Hulkenburg has one of the most bad rear end names possible but seems like a dick. Watching ambivalent American school kids shred him was amazing. "How are you famous?"
- Sainz seems pretty cool but perpetually has a look on his face as though someone asked if he remembered to turn the oven off and he's realized the answer is "no"
- Bottas - managed to avoid the cameras with impressive skill, ditto for Vettel.
- Perez - basic wanker with a rich benefactor
- Leclerc - seems ok but jury still out
- Alonso - seems to be over the hill and thinks too highly of himself but managed to find an entire team that also thinks too highly of him, so props to him. Yes, I know this is exactly what the editors setup highlighted but if the shoe fits....
- Ricciardo - seems like a moron but isn't as bad as
- Verstappen - really dislikable, but I want to record a parody of Ain't No Half Steppin as Ain't No Verstappen, I just don't have anything beyond the title.
Overall, I'd say I like the Haas team best but I feel like Grosjean is danger close to a full on mental breakdown.

Non-Drivers
- Williams lady seems super in over her head
- Horner and Cyril couldn't have been scripted and cast better as French versus England stereotype rivals.
- Zak Brown seems like a wealthier version of a business man that you get stuck sitting next to on an airplane who talks super loudly to his bluetooth earpiece until take off, then talks your ear off about boring business stuff the entire flight truly believes with every cell in his body that his is the best thing in the universe and everyone who is not rich like him is just lazy or dumber than him.

Bulky Bartokomous fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Jun 6, 2023

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

- Sainz seems pretty cool but perpetually has a look on his face as though someone asked if he remembered to turn the oven off and he's realized the answer is "no"

wait til you get to later seasons

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

quote:

It took seven races, but someone has finally started behind a Red Bull and beaten it to the chequered flag. Sergio Perez and George Russell shared the sixth row of the grid for Sunday’s Spanish Grand Prix. Russell got ahead of his rival at the start, made quicker work through the traffic ahead and beat him to the chequered flag by 3.423 seconds.

always cheering for the underdog has its downsides.

https://www.racefans.net/2023/06/06/russell-is-first-driver-to-start-behind-a-red-bull-and-beat-it-in-2023/

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

- Alonso - seems to be over the hill and thinks too highly of himself but managed

was pretty underwhelmed with his performance as well when everyone around him seemed to be singing his praise, but this season he's in a good car showing that he still has it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
He'll drive any car as best as it can possibly be driven but there was no saving that shitbox McLaren. The Alpine was a bit better but now that he's got proper wheels he's fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

I see the past 3 pages were the collective conscience realising that all these years of trying to fix what wasn't broken actually hosed the sport entirely