Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

what a great prank apple pulled, two months late but still

now wheres the real product

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Wanna buy it at Costco, use it for 89 days, and then return it.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Gonna be wearing a $3500 head computer while doing menial tasks around the house, as the average normal person does. But then also I'll be wearing it while driving like a psycho.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Think of the absolute incredible living room setup you could buy for 3499.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

they never talked about the battery

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

incoherent posted:

what ad could you possibly show us that doesn't make it look like the goofiest thing at 3400 dollars that *checks notes* the country being dragged into a recession.

e:hol up. drown out babby on airplain? lemme get my CC

Loved the lady on the plane using the dial to immerse herself in a desert while watching a movie rather than the hell on Earth that is flying economy these days.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

triple sulk posted:

they never talked about the battery

2 hours on charge iirc

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

qbert posted:

Right before they revealed the price they had to compare it to the price of all of the electronics in your house combined.

"What a deal!" Definitely cheaper than your TV, PC, entire desk, living room, and office of your house."

Unfortunately for Apple I already have all that poo poo, and I sometimes watch things or play games with other people

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Boris Galerkin posted:

2 hours on charge iirc

fuckin lmao

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

teagone posted:

Gonna be wearing a $3500 head computer while doing menial tasks around the house, as the average normal person does. But then also I'll be wearing it while driving like a psycho.

I wonder if you can use the Speed Racer eyes for your Eye Sight.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

bobfather posted:

Loved the lady on the plane using the dial to immerse herself in a desert while watching a movie rather than the hell on Earth that is flying economy these days.

Imagining being fully into immersive mode on a plane while watching a movie for 2 hours and then getting jolted out of it by the person next to me grabbing my arm

Sounds like hell.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Penisaurus Sex posted:

Imagining being fully into immersive mode on a plane while watching a movie for 2 hours and then getting jolted out of it by the battery dying

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

bobfather posted:

That was the only part that was effective on me.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
BRB, making an extended battery battery pack that doubles as a weight-lifting belt. Extends battery life to 6 hours and the headset can track your form and reps.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Kirios posted:

Think of the absolute incredible living room setup you could buy for 3499.

i live in a tiny little room. and i do want 4k oleds for my eyes i guess in theory. some day

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Rick posted:

That was the only part that was effective on me.

This is sort of what happened to the apple watch early life: they talked it up being a productivity boon when they should have talked about health health health.

In 2 versions they'll be selling this at every airport in the country with enough juice to get you from NYC to LA

Mia Wasikowska posted:

i live in a tiny little room. and i do want 4k oleds for my eyes i guess in theory. some day

The realized reality of everyone barely affording a room for rent wearing these as a replacement for a large TV.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

even the macrumors crowd is panning this

it may legitimately never release

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I'm not even mad at the price. I'm mad because it looks like you only get flat 2-D gaming, and all their demos looked like something the Quest line already delivers.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

If you told me that was a murderer from the latest Netflix movie, I'd believe you.

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011
Man that part where the lady was sitting in her living room and then her daughter comes in and tries to connect and this weirdo lady just keeps the goggles on. It’s so hosed up. It was like they were trying to emphasise how weird it is.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Skeezy posted:

Dropping the big money on a headset preorder today. I believe in Apple.

Changed my mind lol

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

LPG Giant posted:

Man, that part where the lady was sitting in her living room, and then her daughter comes in and tries to connect, and this weirdo lady just keeps the goggles on. It’s so hosed up. It was like they were trying to emphasize how weird it is.

That lady also looked away from her daughter while her daughter was talking to her and then went into full immersion mode lmao.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Skeezy posted:

Changed my mind lol

I did the exact same thing with the Quest Pro launch. Ordered mid-presentation. Canceled it shortly after.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Skeezy posted:

Changed my mind lol

you have to accept that ALL 3d headsets are going to be dumb looking as all hell it's just which ones pull it off the best.

2hr battery life is not it.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Guy watching birthday videos and stuff on his couch seemed like some psycho poo poo to me.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

The reality is that the most exciting thing from WWDC was the change to replying to people in messages, I hated the tapback thing.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Skeezy posted:

Guy watching birthday videos and stuff on his couch seemed like some psycho poo poo to me.

its every plotline to every man stuck on a desolate island/planet/space station. and, its here.

Skeezy posted:

The reality is that the most exciting thing from WWDC was the change to replying to people in messages, I hated the tapback thing.

i'm just waiting on the MDM enhancements *shrugs*

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah it's not the hardware/form factor I'm mad about, it's the fact that their demo was floating windows. They're doing what PocketPC phones were doing right before the iPhone came out and redefined the experience.

Also lol at not acknowledging what the goggled person looks like on facetime (unless I missed it because I had to... jump on a work Teams call).

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
For $3500 I would need the OS to be much closer to MacOS than iOS/iPadOS. I've tried using my iPad as a work machine and it's bad.

The only gaming it showed was like flat screen gaming with a controller. No Eleven Table Tennis? No thrill of the fight?

The movie watching looks cool and I do watch TV/movies by myself fairly often but I also often do that with other people so it's not like this replaces my TV and stereo.

It's a cool device but it's $3500 and it doesn't replace my laptop, doesn't replace my Oculus, and doesn't replace my A/V setup. Tough sell.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
The external battery supports up to 2 hours of use, and all‑day use when plugged in.1

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

incoherent posted:

This is sort of what happened to the apple watch early life: they talked it up being a productivity boon when they should have talked about health health health.

In 2 versions they'll be selling this at every airport in the country with enough juice to get you from NYC to LA

The realized reality of everyone barely affording a room for rent wearing these as a replacement for a large TV.

Large TVs cost like $200 these days, $150 sometimes, in fact they and smartphones (which society and most jobs basically require you to own these days) have largely replaced refrigerators and microwaves as the Right Wing bugbear talking point du hour WRT things welfare queens own

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

The Dave posted:

Yeah it's not the hardware/form factor I'm mad about, it's the fact that their demo was floating windows. They're doing what PocketPC phones were doing right before the iPhone came out and redefined the experience.

Also lol at not acknowledging what the goggled person looks like on facetime (unless I missed it because I had to... jump on a work Teams call).

it's even better! you get to scan your face using the cameras on the front to make a 3d avatar of yourself that people see!

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Boris Galerkin posted:

2 hours on charge iirc

Alright, so to be faaaaair. I read somewhere that it's a USB-C charging cable that goes into a battery. The Apple Battery is 2 hours. There is nothing stopping you from getting a big USB-C external battery and plugging it into that.

Still LMAO at $3,500. For that price just throw in 2 batteries of different sizes you cheap fucks

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

The Dave posted:

The look horrifying.

Edit: Here ya go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYkq9Rgoj8E&t=6942s

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
The battery life doesn't bother me because there is no way I'll spend 2+ hours wearing that thing on my face.

I just can't think of a cool MR experience that sells me on spending $3500.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

The Dave posted:

You scan your upperbody with the device, and it generates an avatar.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Astro7x posted:

Still LMAO at $3,500. For that price just throw in 2 batteries of different sizes you cheap fucks

I do hope its a usb-c cable and I can wear a Bandoleer of batteries like duff man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009