Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

frame perfect alt-f4 on the main menu, tech this one capcops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

...that feeling when you're too old to play fighting games anymore......it was a good 30 year run, haha!

coward

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
As an old (42) I feel like USFIV was the peak of fighting games for me. I thought it was a great, well made game but 6 seems like it's just too busy and has all these counters, impacts and added features which seems like it's made only for people who already play these games.

It doesn't seem like it's a pick up and play like you could with the old SF2 games where a casual could just grab a controller and mash buttons. I know you probably can't make those games today but it seems like it's just a chess/checkers style game slapped on top of a fighting game.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

As an old (42) I feel like USFIV was the peak of fighting games for me. I thought it was a great, well made game but 6 seems like it's just too busy and has all these counters, impacts and added features which seems like it's made only for people who already play these games.

It doesn't seem like it's a pick up and play like you could with the old SF2 games where a casual could just grab a controller and mash buttons. I know you probably can't make those games today but it seems like it's just a chess/checkers style game slapped on top of a fighting game.

It's in fact vastly, vastly more friendly to exactly that type of play than SF2 is tbqh with the addition of modern/dynamic controls

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

what's the substantive difference between the introduction of say, red focus or ultra combos with their own meter and like, literally anything new in sf6?

also I don't know if you've heard of modern controls but you should try them out. they're actually on by default i dunno how you missed 'em!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

I actually think it's significantly easier to follow than USFIV was. USF4 you had EX moves, Focus Attacks (were red focus attacks in USF4 too?), super moves and ultra moves. SF6 got rid of the comback Ultras and just beefed the level 3 super below 25% health, which makes it nice and easy. You also don't have to share meter with your EX abilities and your super, that super meter is for supers and supers alone, which is nice. Parrying is really easy (though perfect parrying still is tough).

Weird Pumpkin posted:

It's in fact vastly, vastly more friendly to exactly that type of play than SF2 is tbqh with the addition of modern/dynamic controls

Yep, 100%. I had a group of friends come over Saturday night and we played for 6 hours straight, two of them had never touched a SF game and two of us had been playing them since we were kids, and Modern makes it really competetive for newbies.

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

Just a head's up for the folks grinding to unlock all the second costumes via world tour: you can abuse cloud saves to make this whole process go a bit (on PS5 at least; I assume something similar would work on xbox; not sure about pc). It works as long as: 1) you're already a student of the master that you want the second costume for; 2) you also have access to the vendor that sells their preferred gift, and 3) you have about $100,000 in zenny. You can just save your game, upload it to the cloud with synch turned off, then buy 20x gifts and give them all to the master to get their bond up to 100 and obtain the costume. If you then quit the game and download your previous save the second costume will remain unlocked but you can then spend your zenny on another gift/master and do it again. It still takes a bit of time but far less than griding the zenny to buy enough gifts to reach bond 100 with everyone all on a single save. And any additional special moves or emotes that the masters give you as you increase their bond will not be retained. So there's still a reason to grind it all out if want access to all moves, etc. But this can at least get you the costumes faster.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Relevant to this thread's interests:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6hf4Ll_WkE

...that feeling when you're too old to play fighting games anymore......it was a good 30 year run, haha!

I'm 36 and playing fightman video games. You're never too old.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I kind of get where they're coming from re: sf6 being different enough that you can't just pick up and play, as DI/DR and all the mechanics tied in are really, really important new mechanics, and not something you can just ignore when fighting people who are engaging with them, but at the same time they're not that complicated. Just learn them. It'll take you like a day to get used to them, and then you can go back to spamming tatsus or whatever other legacy skills you've brought with you, while sprinkling in the new stuff.

Modern controls will take care of the rest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZUQwYhuA-Q

some relevant stoner wisdom

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
Disclaimer - I skipped SFV because of how barebones the starter package was and then by the time it got "good" I felt like I missed the boat, but I keep looking back at SFIV and thinking that all I had was SRK.COM and combo trials to learn a character, and I never got down plinking for those 1-2 frame links or even FADCing but even without world tour mode, the modern control scheme and character guide covering moves and fundamentals feels like such a "why didn't they do this before?!" moment. Not just showing you the moves but giving you a basic idea of what a character's gameplan is just helps so much. Easily the most accessible SF I've played since SF2.

35 and still going! You can do it, we'll all spurn each other on! :D

DeadButDelicious fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jun 5, 2023

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I thought I had laid my competitive spirit to rest years ago and then I attended two tournaments on the weekend

You can never be too old

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

teagone posted:

drat, literally :same:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

has anyone found a loving Mad Gear Box Hat this is bullshit. It's like the only thing I've wanted the entire time I've been playing World Tour lmao

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

SF6 has implemented modern and dynamic control schemes that encourage mashing to do cool poo poo.

Weird Pumpkin posted:

drat, literally :same:

:corsair::respek::corsair:

[edit] As an aside, I also went to Combobreaker last weekend with my 40 year old brother, and his 40 year old friend who brought along his neice and nephew. We old time gamers.

teagone fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jun 5, 2023

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

SF4 had almost all of those things too - the main difference is that SF6 makes them easier to do and explains to you that they exist. It might feel intimidating, but like a lot of others said, this game's probably the most accessible that the series - or, frankly, the genre - has ever been.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I think SF6 is much easier to get into than SF4. Focus Attack is kind of like a bunch of different mechanics at once and a lot harder to use effectively than Drive Impact/Rush.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Yeah FADC combos are significantly harder than Drive Rush combos. Also SF4 one frame links :argh:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

G-III posted:

I'm 43 and never giving this up!

I like Modern controls, in part, because I'm old.

Babe Magnet posted:

has anyone found a loving Mad Gear Box Hat this is bullshit. It's like the only thing I've wanted the entire time I've been playing World Tour lmao

Yeah, you'll probably get one by accident if you keep playing. Maybe take the ability that makes people have rare stuff more.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Daigo Umehara is 42.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Mega Comrade posted:

Daigo Umehara is 42.

It looks like he placed Diamond in ranked with Guile and dropped down to Plat last I saw on his stream, unless he's using a bunch of different PC accounts lol.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

A lot of FGC is middle-aged, man. Justin Wong and Daigo are like 40 now, both still playing actively at a high level.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
went home for lunch, beat up a bad cammy in ranked, feeling pretty good for the day

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Double Bill posted:

A lot of FGC is middle-aged, man. Justin Wong and Daigo are like 40 now, both still playing actively at a high level.

They've also been playing for like 20 years. It's a bit of a different story when you're just starting at that age. It's less even physical ability than simply available time. If it takes 10,000 hours to get to a diamond level of play then SF8 will be out before I can hit that.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jun 5, 2023

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
My point is, unless you are playing at the highest levels (which none of us are) then age isn't really that important.

I'm not as good as I was when I was 20. But I think that's far more down to not having dozens and dozens of hours of free time every week to sink into training mode like I did back then.

If I ever get to the point I physically can't input the combos anymore I'll just pick up dhalsim :)

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Bleck posted:

SF4 had almost all of those things too - the main difference is that SF6 makes them easier to do and explains to you that they exist. It might feel intimidating, but like a lot of others said, this game's probably the most accessible that the series - or, frankly, the genre - has ever been.

I don't think I ever got to a point with SF4 where I felt like I was engaging with the mechanics confidently and consistently enough to actually get to the part where I was enjoying the mind games part of SF

With SF6 it feels like I've gotten to that part right away. It's up there with KI3 and Samsho 2019 where even on day 1 I felt I had a good handle on knowingly trying to condition an opponent or recognize a pattern and capitalize on it, and the game makes sure to scream from the rooftops that you intentionally made a very good decision every time you do

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, you'll probably get one by accident if you keep playing. Maybe take the ability that makes people have rare stuff more.

yeah I grabbed that as soon as I could, but I've been obliterating pretty much any mad gear/crow/etc. I come across and no dice. I've got a ton of the TV heads though lol. I'm wondering if it's one of those items that just drop from a box late-game, that'd be disappointing.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm 22 and don't play FGs because I'm too busy getting laid.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
I stopped getting laid so I could have more times to play FGs.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Mega Comrade posted:

Daigo Umehara is 42.
and has no problem beating pros half his age

https://youtu.be/tDOCCAJnynI

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

teagone posted:

Relevant to this thread's interests:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6hf4Ll_WkE

I watched until they revealed their subject had oversight of the ui and then said yo gently caress him and stopped

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
there might eventually be pensioner world champs at street fighter when we get there because you have a lot of time.

i think being a old geezer is going to be a lot of fun really.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Reflexes are way less important in fighting games than most other competitive video games, so you see way more old people doing well, even at the highest levels of play. The biggest obstacle to playing as an old is having less free time, but you don't need to spend 80 hours a week playing to have fun.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Does anyone know where you find music for the WT music player?

What is the jukebox feature in general, I can't find any music options other than player/opponent/stage/random in BH.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

manon's drive impact into a command grab combo frankly seems unfair

Exo-
Dec 8, 2021

Watching a good player who uses your character really makes you re-evaluate your gameplan. Got some fun new stuff to practice thanks to these guys. Thank you for being better than me.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

chumbler posted:

They've also been playing for like 20 years. It's a bit of a different story when you're just starting at that age. It's less even physical ability than simply available time. If it takes 10,000 hours to get to a diamond level of play then SF8 will be out before I can hit that.

I'm 36 and got to Platinum in SFV in about 300 hours with very minimal prior FG experience. A Youtuber named Ceelows has a bunch of videos where he ranks up characters using a very, very limited set of options that he expands slowly as he goes up.

The basic lesson is that you can go very far on fundamentals and punishing your opponents for doing stuff. Most people below Plat are just flailing with a pretty limited understanding of how the game works. In SFV that mostly meant anti-airs, punishing sweeps and DPs, and poking people to death. In six I'm guessing it's something like anti-airs, countering DIs, and reacting to Drive Rush in some way.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Al! posted:

manon's drive impact into a command grab combo frankly seems unfair

The funny thing is even if it knocks them airborne, she can still get the grab. And if it wall splats, she can get it with b.HP > 236P :sickos:

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Exo- posted:

Watching a good player who uses your character really makes you re-evaluate your gameplan. Got some fun new stuff to practice thanks to these guys. Thank you for being better than me.

I watched GO1 play Honda and he Fierce Headbutts as much as I do lol. Character is insanely dumb.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Skypie posted:

The funny thing is even if it knocks them airborne, she can still get the grab. And if it wall splats, she can get it with b.HP > 236P :sickos:

just gotta count to five and theyre hosed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

fadam posted:

I watched GO1 play Honda and he Fierce Headbutts as much as I do lol. Character is insanely dumb.

he really is

Also man, the fact that blocking fierce headbutt eats an entire gauge off the drive meter is bonkers