Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

theshim posted:

Couldn't find a thread for this, hope it's fine to ask here.

A couple friends and I recently finished up Gloomhaven: Jaws of the Lion. We (and a couple others) are interested in playing some more legacy/persistent games but not really sure where to turn. Is there a good list or resource for solid games in the genre? We're currently looking at Pandemic Legacy as a possible next game, but honestly I wasn't huge on base Pandemic's gameplay - is Legacy sufficiently different that I'd still have fun with it? Are there other games y'all might recommend? I don't think we're looking to dive into base Gloomhaven or Frosthaven at the moment, but I personally had a good time playing through Jaws and feeling a definite sense of progression and strength - hopefully looking to find something similar.

Thanks!

You'll likely get a lot of responses in:
• Gloomhaven/Frosthaven thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3840191&userid=0&perpage=40&highlight=Gloomhaven,Jaws,of,the,Lion&pagenumber=1
• Board Games thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3989138&userid=0&perpage=40&highlight=Gloomhaven,Jaws,of,the,Lion&pagenumber=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

theshim posted:

Couldn't find a thread for this, hope it's fine to ask here.

A couple friends and I recently finished up Gloomhaven: Jaws of the Lion. We (and a couple others) are interested in playing some more legacy/persistent games but not really sure where to turn. Is there a good list or resource for solid games in the genre? We're currently looking at Pandemic Legacy as a possible next game, but honestly I wasn't huge on base Pandemic's gameplay - is Legacy sufficiently different that I'd still have fun with it? Are there other games y'all might recommend? I don't think we're looking to dive into base Gloomhaven or Frosthaven at the moment, but I personally had a good time playing through Jaws and feeling a definite sense of progression and strength - hopefully looking to find something similar.

Thanks!

Have you tried Clank!: A Deck-Building Adventure? If you like that game, Clank!: Legacy – Acquisitions Incorporated should go over well. It's less serious and more comedic than the Pandemic games, but the Legacy aspects are still quite satisfying. Not everyone likes Clank since it's a center-market deckbuilder, so if you haven't played something similar-ish like Ascension or Tyrants of the Underdark maybe don't buy in until you get a chance to try the base game.

Also, you can visit the Board Games thread for more of this.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Dagon posted:

Feels like I'm in this picture. Most of the group back in Boise is still playing together.

I bought most of those items while living in Boise. :tinfoil:

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Admiralty Flag posted:

Core message: Pandemic backbone with twists, some foreseeable, others not.
Hmm, not super keen on it, then. My friend has already played through it with his wife and said it's great, so I might be willing to give it a shot anyway. Honestly, my biggest problem with Pandemic is how it tended to just devolve into one person telling everyone where to go and what to do, but we'll see. That was one of the things I appreciated about Jaws, we could communicate and try to plan but we couldn't be wholly free with information and we still had to adapt to what the enemies were doing every turn, made for a much more interactive and fun experience.

Magnetic North posted:

Have you tried Clank!: A Deck-Building Adventure? If you like that game, Clank!: Legacy – Acquisitions Incorporated should go over well. It's less serious and more comedic than the Pandemic games, but the Legacy aspects are still quite satisfying. Not everyone likes Clank since it's a center-market deckbuilder, so if you haven't played something similar-ish like Ascension or Tyrants of the Underdark maybe don't buy in until you get a chance to try the base game.

Also, you can visit the Board Games thread for more of this.
Clank! is fun enough, but I dunno that it has the longevity even with legacy mechanics that we'd want to play it every week :v:

Thanks for the replies and suggestions! :buddy: I'll post over in the Board Games thread for more narrow advice.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

theshim posted:

Hmm, not super keen on it, then. My friend has already played through it with his wife and said it's great, so I might be willing to give it a shot anyway. Honestly, my biggest problem with Pandemic is how it tended to just devolve into one person telling everyone where to go and what to do, but we'll see.
Pandemic Legacy absolutely does not solve the problem of quarterbacking.

If you're looking for a co-op that does allow planning together but pretty much eliminates quarterbacking, have you heard of our Lord and Savior, Spirit Island? My favorite game and many others', a high-infinitely replayable game, a distinct experience every time you play it. Downside: no real Legacy mechanics.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
on the topic of odd fantasy settings, still want to run someday a game in this one;

you'll need to open these images in a new tab to see them at full size

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
What the hell is this? I absolutely want to know more based on the factoid about how the world was apparently designed as an elder god's personal battleship for blowing up other gods with, and is bristling with secret god-destroying weapons.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

PurpleXVI posted:

What the hell is this? I absolutely want to know more based on the factoid about how the world was apparently designed as an elder god's personal battleship for blowing up other gods with, and is bristling with secret god-destroying weapons.

Originally discovered it in a random 4chan thread years ago, then a bit more recently found the source, a guy on Deviantart named Irondoors, he hasn't really done anything with it beyond those images though

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Plutonis posted:

I think only MonsieurChoc here cares about this other than me but man I wanna run a tabletop set on the Anbennar setting.

This looks really cool. Also reminds me a bit of the Civ 4 mod Fall From Heaven that I never got the opportunity to play but read about quite a bit.

https://fallfromheaven.fandom.com/wiki/Main_Page

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

You all are thinking small.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Admiralty Flag posted:

Pandemic Legacy absolutely does not solve the problem of quarterbacking.

If you're looking for a co-op that does allow planning together but pretty much eliminates quarterbacking, have you heard of our Lord and Savior, Spirit Island? My favorite game and many others', a high-infinitely replayable game, a distinct experience every time you play it. Downside: no real Legacy mechanics.

My problem with co-op games isn't quarterbacking so much as it is the tendency to fall into overanalysis. In a competitive game, when you're doing badly it's a dick move to spend ages figuring out a good move while your opponent gets bored. In a cooperative game, where everybody wants the same thing, there's a lot more social pressure to put everything to committee and grind the pace of the game to a halt.

I love co-op games that get around this, like Magic Maze or Space Alert, but Spirit Island isn't one of them.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Yeah I've played Spirit Island once or twice and I pretty much check out of the turn planning phase mentally every round. My friend who owns it has all the expansions too, which doesn't help. We've been playing Gloomhaven and he's not a fan of how you're not supposed to go into specifics about what you're planning but every time we get on the topic I secretly think yeah dude I know exactly how it would go, much better this way.

I remember one time in a D&D game where my players spent so drat long strategizing a diplomatic meeting and fishing for information rolls in advance like "what would most likely happen if we..." that I eventually threw my hands up and told them we had now effectively played through the meeting scene several times over, here are the three possible outcomes for the story that I can see and please pick one so we can move on.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

My Lovely Horse posted:

I remember one time in a D&D game where my players spent so drat long strategizing a diplomatic meeting and fishing for information rolls in advance like "what would most likely happen if we..." that I eventually threw my hands up and told them we had now effectively played through the meeting scene several times over, here are the three possible outcomes for the story that I can see and please pick one so we can move on.

now that you mention it a Ghost Trick-inspired one shot would be pretty interesting to run though

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

mllaneza posted:

yesss ty for digging this up

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

mllaneza posted:

I've never read the Kamandi comics, how many of these places did they visit? I really want to know more about the Surfing Orangutan and the Beatnik Bulldog civilizations.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

mllaneza posted:

I ran a Kamandi game using Metamorphosis Alpha's rules because Gamma World hadn't been published yet. First setting bash I ever did and one of the first campaigns I ever ran to story arc end.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Whybird posted:

My problem with co-op games isn't quarterbacking so much as it is the tendency to fall into overanalysis. In a competitive game, when you're doing badly it's a dick move to spend ages figuring out a good move while your opponent gets bored. In a cooperative game, where everybody wants the same thing, there's a lot more social pressure to put everything to committee and grind the pace of the game to a halt.

I love co-op games that get around this, like Magic Maze or Space Alert, but Spirit Island isn't one of them.

You know, you're right, I should have been clearer with what I said. When I'm playing with others, we talk in broad strokes about what we're going to do and leave the implementation of the plan to each player. You could quarterback SI, if you were willing to discuss each hot spot and analyze it in depth, but that gets old and potentially runs really long.

So the "no quarterbacking" rule only works if you adopt a certain playstyle; there's no mechanical enforcement. But there are so many moving parts to SI that it's more difficult for someone to quarterback the whole game anyway.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Bucnasti posted:

I've never read the Kamandi comics, how many of these places did they visit? I really want to know more about the Surfing Orangutan and the Beatnik Bulldog civilizations.

Probably almost all of them and then some new ones, everything I've seen about those comics is entertainingly batshit.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
For most co-op games quarterbacking will be the default unless the rules have steps to avoid it. The only methods that seem to work are increased complexity and possibly time limits. Hidden information, hidden agendas and traitor mechanics are all ineffective and in some cases make things worse.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

I had a most unpleasant experience with that today. After years of severe mental illness keeping me away, I managed to drag myself to the local tabletop board gaming club… only to end up in an eight player Elder Sign game. Which, let me tell you, really highlights every possible aspect of social interaction that makes something take longer.

Some were perhaps avoidable (like the guy who decided to interrupt the active player by telling her to not use the dice tower, because it was “cursed” just as she was about to roll), but moreover I really noticed that even though no-one we’re making the decisions for everyone, suddenly every player could and sometimes would ask out aloud whether they should do something, inviting everyone to formulate a plan. And sometimes a non-active player could affect the active player, so formulating a plan would sometimes involve figuring out the plan, having someone remind you they could help with that action, and having to figure out what would be the best plan taking into account the help that was offered. And sometimes people would point out flaws in their plan, requiring the plan and counter-proposals to be considered.

The entire table plays a single player’s turn, and every single player is invited to consider not just their own character, but every other character in the game. We thankfully avoided the worst combinatorial hell, but it could easily have turned into analysis paralysis when every player playing every single character in the game at once, every turn.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

LatwPIAT posted:

After years of severe mental illness keeping me away, I managed to drag myself to the local tabletop board gaming club…

Congrats on that, at least!

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

Yo tengo un par de ideas.
I made Chat GPT share the life philosophy of an ogre named Lug, which I wrote a backstory for, here it is:

"Lug, the massive ogre with a brutish appearance, sits on a makeshift throne made of bones and torn cloth. The cave is littered with the remnants of his victims, creating an eerie atmosphere. Lug speaks with a deep, gravelly voice, his words punctuated by his heavy breaths.
LUG (stroking his chin) Life, it's a simple thing, it is. Eat, survive, repeat. That's the way of Lug.
Lug picks up a large femur bone and examines it, a sinister grin spreading across his face.
LUG (savoring the thought) When Lug was but a wee ogre, the world showed him its true colors. The weak, they suffer, and the strong, they feast.
He hurls the bone against the wall, causing it to shatter.
LUG (growing animated) Humans, they think they rule the land. But Lug knows better. We are the true lords of this wilderness.
He flexes his massive python arms, veins bulging beneath the green-hued skin.
LUG (voice filled with conviction) Lug's strength, his might, it's what sets him apart. The humans, they fear me. They fear my power, my wrath.
Lug rises from his throne, towering over the scattered remains of his victims.
LUG (pointing to the bones) Look at them, pitiful and weak. They couldn't survive, couldn't adapt. They're food, nothing more.
He walks towards the cave entrance, his eyes gleaming with primal intensity.
LUG (facing the darkness) The world, it's a harsh place, a struggle for survival. Lug thrives because he embraces his nature, his ogre self.
He turns back to his throne, a wicked grin spreading across his face.
LUG (raising his voice) In this world, there is no room for weakness. Only the strong prevail, and Lug is the strongest!
Lug lets out a mighty roar, echoing through the cave, reverberating with his savage philosophy."

.... Seems like a pretty chill dude.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

mllaneza posted:

welcome to MAD-HOLE, country of the screamers

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

trapstar posted:

I made Chat GPT
Post this poo poo on Twitter or wherever.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Runa posted:

welcome to MAD-HOLE, country of the screamers

No matter how grim my life has got, I will never fail to laugh like an idiot at KANGA RAT MURDER SOCIETY

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Jack Kirby was the King.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

Halloween Jack posted:

There's even a thread for ai empty posting here (for some reason)

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

I've always loved that even in a world so far in the future that humans are largely forgotten, you still have Communist Russia (just with bears now). Must be something in the water.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

theironjef posted:

I've always loved that even in a world so far in the future that humans are largely forgotten, you still have Communist Russia (just with bears now). Must be something in the water.

Lots of it is funny national stereotypes, not just Russia. France is napoleons! NYC is an underground rat empire!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
ain't nothing like running an everyone ping on an osr server and taking out the trash. CHUDS BEGONE. do it yourself if you have a social space, saying trans rights are human rights will catch you some excellent bugs to squash.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Chuds are trash.

Transphobes are trash.

Bigots are trash.

People who abuse @everyone on a Discord server are trash.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

CitizenKeen posted:

Chuds are trash.

Transphobes are trash.

Bigots are trash.

the ping i did, for the record, was "@everyone reminder: trans rights are human rights. PRIDE IS STANDING UP TO OPPRESSION. gently caress THE POLICE."

that's not an abuse. that's celebrating pride month and pat robertson's death.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

CitizenKeen posted:

Chuds are trash.

Transphobes are trash.

Bigots are trash.

quote:

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

Yo tengo un par de ideas.

Halloween Jack posted:

Ominous Jazz posted:

There's even a thread for ai empty posting here (for some reason)

Meh, I’ve enjoyed making it do some stuff lately.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Arivia posted:

the ping i did, for the record, was "@everyone reminder: trans rights are human rights. PRIDE IS STANDING UP TO OPPRESSION. gently caress THE POLICE."

that's not an abuse. that's celebrating pride month and pat robertson's death.

okay but seriously @everyone and @here are basically the nuclear option for pinging and if it's not urgent or not directly related to the core purview of the discord in question then using it deserves all the clapback it incurs

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
it's just a notification

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I see you also choose to live dangerously

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
i also don't leave my phone on silent which is strange to people
my phone has biz markie going "oh snap!" with each notification

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Runa posted:

okay but seriously @everyone and @here are basically the nuclear option for pinging and if it's not urgent or not directly related to the core purview of the discord in question then using it deserves all the clapback it incurs

I think they're declaring that telling transphobes to gently caress off is a core purview of the discord in question, and I have no problem with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I think they're declaring that telling transphobes to gently caress off is a core purview of the discord in question, and I have no problem with that.

fair