Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

even the surrounding area is insane, I commute into seattle for work from much further away because the higher paying jobs are in the city and I still have a hard time supporting myself and lol when student loans resume

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
Oops

Somebody has issued a correction as of 04:03 on Jun 6, 2023

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
still watching... lol at this weaselly decorum fucker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpMLAQbSYAw&t=4933s

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

https://twitter.com/sagaftranews/status/1665905582946017282

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

shrike82 posted:

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1665894111818162178?s=20

this went off the news so i haven't been keeping up
so after all the protests, the pension reforms are going through?

macron made them a thing without having to go through the legislature, the only way they don't happen is if he loses a vote of no confidence

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

https://twitter.com/IwriteOK/status/1665814343282196483

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

$3500 minimum for google glass but worse, it's astonishing

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

dope

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Relevant Tangent posted:

$3500 minimum for google glass but worse, it's astonishing

It's probably a lot better than Google Glass in terms of functionality

Still looms like poo poo tho! If Apple can't make AR/VR sets look decent I doubt anyone can.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Vox Nihili posted:

It's probably a lot better than Google Glass in terms of functionality

Still looms like poo poo tho! If Apple can't make AR/VR sets look decent I doubt anyone can.

It should be a full face motorcycle helmet.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
You can just flip the visor up to stop looking at it and if you bash your head into the coffee table you're good to go.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Steve Jobs was a psychopath, yes

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Yeah, but that has 'metaverse moment' written all over it.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/markets/status/1665915943187259393?s=20

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

I can't stop thinking about how much I hate this product. Vr is already pretty antisocial as far as activities go, never looking up from your phone is up there too, but putting the phone into a vr headset and then giving it these weirdass eye projections and poo poo is just so off putting. The footage of the mom just sitting there all weird and then the daughter comes in and gets two seconds of "I'm interacting with you, I'm present in the moment" eye simulation before it visually goes back to Ignoring My Daughter Mode just paints such a loving cold, dismal picture, and that's the actual pitch. That's the best they could make that look.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

zetamind2000 posted:

macron made them a thing without having to go through the legislature, the only way they don't happen is if he loses a vote of no confidence

And with the current breakdown of parties in the French lower house, he's not losing a vote of no confidence

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Hey guys

so i am going to give up on catching up and am skipping like 8000 posts

how's number

any good stock tips

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Shear Modulus posted:

Hey guys

how's number

any good stock tips

I've got a number for you

The new apple VR headset costs $3,500

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

I almost wonder if they didn’t announce this so far in advance so they can use the backlash as an excuse to can it

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Twerk from Home posted:

I've got a number for you

The new apple VR headset costs $3,500

lmao i saw that

that's an absurd amount of money for a mostly useless toy

is tim apple living in like two years ago and not get the memo that the metaverse is over

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Like it would make sense if the metaverse actually happened and people were wearing $1-2k vr headsets all day and the apple version is twice as expensive like how macbooks and iphones are to the rest of the market but that isn't the case

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
RBA just raised another .25

can definitely feel the financial stress/anger bubbling up recently. people who've never mentioned this stuff before now have very strong opinions on central bank governors.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Mola Yam posted:

RBA just raised another .25

can definitely feel the financial stress/anger bubbling up recently. people who've never mentioned this stuff before now have very strong opinions on central bank governors.

ron paul was 15 years too early

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Shear Modulus posted:

Hey guys

how's number

any good stock tips

everything is great. were some minor bank runs a while back but it’s all good now. inflation is whatever, no one gives a poo poo. rates should go back down any day now. keep buying those dips.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Shear Modulus posted:

Hey guys

how's number

any good stock tips

where you been

also buy NFLX puts. its rapidly getting flushed down the toilet

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

genericnick posted:

I'm still completely puzzled why all the VR trailers always have some dumb nerds looking like dorks in the vr gear. Sure, it's a challenge to show what your game would be like on a screen, but there must be a better way.

when it was new they used to have people playing the game motion-tracked and inserted into a third-person view of the game world. gets rid of the jarring "someone's looking around but it's not me" that just showing the feed from the headseat does, and it looks incredibly cool to boot.

i always thought that should have been part of the standard API, people would absolutely insert themselves into 'solo' games like beat sabre if you could have people watching you in a cool way

but that would have been :effort: so rip

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Thoguh posted:

I do think that augmented reality vs VR is at least less stupid looking and more usable but you’d need the form factor of a pair of normal glasses for it to get widespread use.

AR has real use cases and is also a not-too-distant legitimate threat to a lot of skilled physical labor. There are tons of people out there chomping at the bit for something that can basically handhold untrained, low-wage employees through complex tasks.

A dad showing his daughter how to fix a pipe was literally part of Microsoft's presentation for their AR thingy years ago and there's a certain segment that's been salivating for that use case ever since. $4000 isn't that expensive when you can cut someone's salary in half.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Paradoxish posted:

AR has real use cases and is also a not-too-distant legitimate threat to a lot of skilled physical labor. There are tons of people out there chomping at the bit for something that can basically handhold untrained, low-wage employees through complex tasks.

A dad showing his daughter how to fix a pipe was literally part of Microsoft's presentation for their AR thingy years ago and there's a certain segment that's been salivating for that use case ever since. $4000 isn't that expensive when you can cut someone's salary in half.

i think the biggest buyer of hololens is boeing, because the wiring for jets is so ludicrously complicated that they use AR to help locate things.

or maybe that was all just a lie to bump the stock price i dunno i don't work at boeing.

fakeedit: lol no it was glass, and it was a pilot program that ended. "Techs worked faster with it and made 50% fewer errors but gently caress it we can just insist they work faster and fire them for errors anyway"

Looks like lockmar did end up using hololens for real but this quote is so sdth.txt i laughed out loud

quote:

Assembly is the fun part, and several Lockheed Martin employees who were retiring asked to stay on after HoloLens was put into use. That’s because it changed what had been a tedious process into one that was far more enjoyable.

airbus maybe as well? it all screams aerospace industry grift.

you need something that's both insanely complex enough to need AR to help put the damned thing together correctly, and a large enough number of them you need to build that it's worth developing an entirely custom system to track all the parts and the users's exact location

Harik has issued a correction as of 06:05 on Jun 6, 2023

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Shear Modulus posted:

Hey guys

how's number

any good stock tips

go all in on binance with a quickness playboy

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Xaris posted:

where you been

i didn't read the thread for a few days then i put off catching up and it snowballed to like 8000 posts in a week because there's too much economy happening

nflx puts sounds like an idea since the company is bent on killing itself with the password nazi thing but then they'll just say "AI" and the stock price will double

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

the main use case i can imagine for VR and AR is military which is infinity money so why even waste time trying to market it to the public?

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Shear Modulus posted:

the main use case i can imagine for VR and AR is military which is infinity money so why even waste time trying to market it to the public?

tech bro twitter

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
yeah those glasses are a specialized b2b product, the real gently caress up is even trying to market it to normies

and the reason: number

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

caelxii posted:

It would be really funny though if the occupation most threatened by AI was failson makework

i mean it is, the thing generative ai is really great at is stuff that you don't need to be good or correct but pretend needs to happen anyway. that's pretty much marketing and management.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

Paradoxish posted:

Ah poo poo, I do this with a Hololens so I don’t have to fly all over the country

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022

Xaris posted:

where you been

never bet against the military industrial complex

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
cant remember if this was posted already but another big crack in commercial real estate popped. the REIT who owned Hilton San Francisco and Parc 55 just walked away from close to a billion dollars

quote:

Another bit of bad news for downtown San Francisco arrived Monday morning with the revelation that the investment firm that owns the Hilton San Francisco Union Square and Parc 55 hotels is walking away from its debts and giving up hope on a return of SF's convention market.

Virginia-based REIT Park Hotels & Resorts has opted to cease payments on a $725 million loan, as the SF Business Times reports today, essentially surrendering over 2,900 hotel rooms and hospitality facilities to its lender. This includes the 1,921-room Hilton San Francisco Union Square, which is San Francisco's largest hotel, occupying an entire city block, and one of the country's largest hotels outside of Las Vegas.

Park Hotels & Resorts is also giving up on the 1,024-room Parc 55, citing the continued debt burden of the two hotels on its portfolio, and multiple factors that have made the SF market less desirable for their business.

"After much thought and consideration, we believe it is in the best interest for Park’s stockholders to materially reduce our current exposure to the San Francisco market," said Park Hotels CEO Thomas J. Baltimore in a statement. "Now more than ever, we believe San Francisco’s path to recovery remains clouded and elongated by major challenges, both old and new: record high office vacancy; concerns over street conditions; lower return to office than peer cities; and a weaker than expected citywide convention calendar through 2027 that will negatively impact business and leisure demand."

As the Business Times notes, this marks a shift from three months ago, when Baltimore and another hotel group CEO visited personally with Mayor London Breed and expressed some optimism about the future of the business travel market.

The two hotels, as appraised in 2016 for the current loan, were worth a combined $1.56 billion. So it's a significant move that Park Hotels would walk away from debt that is less than half that amount — and as one analyst tells the Business Times, "it says that they are not optimistic that the business travel or convention and meetings business is going to return soon to downtown San Francisco."

Part of the economics of SF hotels, the Business Times notes, is the historic competition between leisure tourism and business travelers, especially the previously robust convention schedule, which meant lower vacancy rates throughout the year and higher-than-average room rates.

This also seems to point to the possibility that room rates will slide as well.

Hotels across the city have been changing hands with some frequency in the last decade, and the latest news does not mean that the Hilton or the Parc 55 will necessarily close.

JPMorgan Chase, which recently took over SF-based First Republic Bank, will become the new owner of the hotels and may now seek out a buyer at a fire-sale price.

Last week, SF Travel, the city's tourism outfit, launched a new ad campaign aimed at reviving the city's image in the minds of convention-planners, specifically.

Less than a decade ago, San Francisco enjoyed one of the highest hotel occupancy rates in the country, hovering around 84% in 2015. That slid in the next few years and tanked in the pandemic, but SF Travel said occupancy was back up to 62% in 2022 — which is similar to what it was around the dot-com bust two decades ago.

The agency noted that 35 events scheduled at the Moscone Center this year are set to account for 700,000 room-nights at hotels.
https://sfist.com/2023/06/05/owner-of-sfs-largest-hotel-the-hilton-union-square-is-walking-away-surrendering-it-to-lender/

Xaris has issued a correction as of 07:43 on Jun 6, 2023

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
anyways i guess triple sulk isn't the only one that is having problems finding computer toucher jobs https://www.reddit.com/r/bayarea/comments/141qybj/ppl_who_were_laid_off_how_are_things/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/devtesla/status/1665926552444444674?t=n-O3S5jKq5c1rUIK0uAP9w&s=19