Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I just loaded in! we back bby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Hashy posted:

Are we making fun of people that spend $25 on cosmetics itt?

I got every item on the shop and wish they had more. Blizzard FTW

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

Kin33 posted:

I just realized Lorath gotta feel really dumb for selling his soul/head to a tree to find out where Lilith was when Inarius' church already knew and had a huge rear end army marching there.

I think he wanted find out where the Hellgate was and kill/trap Lilith first, before Inarius could be the world's most selfish prick all over again.

Jaytan
Dec 14, 2003

Childhood enlistment means fewer birthdays to remember

Hashy posted:

Only if we’re also making fun of people that bought a $70 video game.

So yes.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION
I already posted this but I feel like maybe I just don't get this game, unfortunately. I've loved D1, D2, D3 and loved D4 up until about levels ago. I'm just stuck. I think I just don't understand how to play it. I see other people in this thread saying how they're breezing through the game and they've got such great gear and I see the Barb vids on YouTube and Twitch etc and just... That's not my experience. It's really hard, I can only comfortably manage the lowest difficulty.

Is there some obvious dumb tip that I've missed for picking good gear or whatever that might help? I love the game, but my game is now totally stagnant really. I did my best to chip through the capstone dungeon for WT3 and I got right to the end boss who just destroyed me so hard I couldn't understand how other people are doing it. So now I'm just piece by piece doing dungeons and poo poo because there's nothing else to do if you can't reach WT3.

I know this is all probably 100% on me, but I've never felt so defeated by a game I was so enthusiastic for. I'd really love some tips. I'd hate to think my joy for this game is already over just a few days in.

putin is a cunt fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Jun 6, 2023

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
the confrontation between (very late game cutscene spoilers) lilith and inarius is so loving good. i'm not sure blizzard has ever given their characters this much depth. lilith, basically giving inarius a test to see if they still had any connection, to see who he really was after all this time. inarius, selfish and homesick and disgusted, telling her he killed their son -- admitting to it without reservation. how well she nails his psychological weaknesses, whether her account of events is even true or not. maybe the heavens would've welcomed him back if he killed her -- he never struck her a mortal blow. you really get the impression that, had inarius showed regret about killing rathma, that lilith maybe wouldn't have done what she did. tear his wings off and annihilate him. and all inarius can do is call out for the heavens to protect him. pathetic, yes -- but who could he have been had he been less wrapped up in his own divinity? our protagonist says she was toying with him, but i think it's more that she wanted to make sure he was truly beyond redemption before snuffing him out like a bug.

i never really gave much of a poo poo about the diablo lore or characters before d4 (beyond that the angel designs as these beings of light and sound are cool as gently caress) but man, the d4 campaign is loving rad. the wonders you get from grounding a setting instead of going all saturday morning cartoon on it. like, try imagine them doing a cutscene like that in any of their other recent properties. i'm pretty sure heart of the swarm tried and it was loving garbage.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

That Little Demon posted:

Hard to imagine better

Thanks I'm going to buy it and play with my friends while we drink beer.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
like compare it to the confrontation between imperius and diablo in d3 lmao

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Just got my 1st random Unique item. Pretty happy with it! Ground Stomp is more effective than it may seem on the tin, and the cooldown on the boots is reasonable. I do like how the art style remains consistent, even on a Unique like this. Stuff looks grounded, distinctive, and (relatively) practical.

putin is a oval office posted:

Is there some obvious dumb tip that I've missed for picking good gear or whatever that might help? I love the game, but my game is now totally stagnant really. I did my best to chip through the capstone dungeon for WT3 and I got right to the end boss who just destroyed me so hard I couldn't understand how other people are doing it. So now I'm just piece by piece doing dungeons and poo poo because there's nothing else to do if you can't reach WT3.

Be kind to yourself! That dungeon is, by a fair margin, among the hardest stuff in the game to that point. It's up there with (Act VI boss) Duriel. Other than that, precise strat and gearing will depend on your class/spec.

Horizon Burning posted:

i never really gave much of a poo poo about the diablo lore or characters before d4 (beyond that the angel designs as these beings of light and sound are cool as gently caress) but man, the d4 campaign is loving rad. the wonders you get from grounding a setting instead of going all saturday morning cartoon on it. like, try imagine them doing a cutscene like that in any of their other recent properties. i'm pretty sure heart of the swarm tried and it was loving garbage.

Agreed! There's a texture in D4's world/story that was present in D2 and broadly missing in D3 (aside from brief moments in RoS).

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

putin is a oval office posted:

I know this is all probably 100% on me, but I've never felt so defeated by a game I was so enthusiastic for. I'd really love some tips. I'd hate to think my joy for this game is already over just a few days in.
Is your problem damage, survivability, or just bullshit insta kill deaths? All of the above?

What class/build?
Did you collect all your renown awards you've earned so far?

How many statues of Lilith did you get? That's what I would do if I felt weak, I feel OP most of the time though.

If it's insta kill deaths, gotta stay out of those circles and heavily telegraphed swings my man, kite the baddies, run back to a choke point and stuff, mobility skill/dodge often to keep in the action.

Get help from some goons.

I mostly just slapped whatever +4-75 green text item I found or legendary on for most of the time, when it gets hard I'll get into fine tuning gear more.

Check the ilvl of your items and try wearing the highest ones, there are breakpoints where all the buffs would be like 2-8% higher if you were to say upgrade that item to the next tier.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Welp. 5 minutes after I get my 1st random Unique, I kill the dungeon boss and get... a 2nd random Unique. Probably won't use this one since Bleed/Rupture aren't in my current build, but hey, I'll take it

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

isk posted:

Agreed! There's a texture in D4's world/story that was present in D2 and broadly missing in D3 (aside from brief moments in RoS).

i think the thing about d2 is that it was very rooted in the story of marius and his personal failings. d4 is kind of like it took that idea of diablo being personal horror in a setting of epic good and evil, and just sort of figured even the prominent figures could get in on it. i also appreciated that it's mostly tied up with mephisto, who felt like the prime evil who was never explored (diablo is the focus, baal had his expansion.) like the very ending that some might criticize neyrelle going off with the soulstone is something that's rooted in d4 being a very personal story.

it makes me wonder if they'll do anything with tyrael. i'd love to see what they did with the concept of an angel who shucked off his wings to try and help humanity. like, yeah, nice gesture -- but maybe we would prefer having an inarius on our side as opposed to just another guy with a sword?

Jaytan
Dec 14, 2003

Childhood enlistment means fewer birthdays to remember

I lost my second hardcore character rolling into the capstone dungeon, and comfortably beat it the second time. The things that changed for me:

1. Getting good rares in every slot. They don’t need to be perfect rolls, but taking advantage of some of the slot specific affixes is probably wise (e.g. move speed on boots, reduced damage modifiers on pants, crit chance/damage on jewelry)
2. Upgrade your items! It’s roughly 10% to every affix for each rank. A 10% bonus becomes 14%. It seems small, but it adds up!
3. Get some build relevant legendary modifiers. Either from drops or running an appropriate dungeon.
4. Respect the collectors telegraphed attacks. I blew through the story and it was never really close, but this boss will kill you very fast if you ignore the fights mechanics.

Previous posts suggestion about collecting statues is also good, but I already had nearly all of them before my first failure.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Hashy posted:

proudly showing off my mark of shame

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

Horizon Burning posted:

the confrontation between (very late game cutscene spoilers) lilith and inarius is so loving good. i'm not sure blizzard has ever given their characters this much depth. lilith, basically giving inarius a test to see if they still had any connection, to see who he really was after all this time. inarius, selfish and homesick and disgusted, telling her he killed their son -- admitting to it without reservation. how well she nails his psychological weaknesses, whether her account of events is even true or not. maybe the heavens would've welcomed him back if he killed her -- he never struck her a mortal blow. you really get the impression that, had inarius showed regret about killing rathma, that lilith maybe wouldn't have done what she did. tear his wings off and annihilate him. and all inarius can do is call out for the heavens to protect him. pathetic, yes -- but who could he have been had he been less wrapped up in his own divinity? our protagonist says she was toying with him, but i think it's more that she wanted to make sure he was truly beyond redemption before snuffing him out like a bug.

gotta give props to Lilith's voice actor. she knocked it out of the park in that scene. you could really hear the absolute hatred in her voice after she stabbed him in the back with his own spear. it was a loving brutal death

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
Another thing you can do is go through all the aspects and think of what ones would help you the most, go get them and slot it on a piece of gear.

2-4 intentional, build defining aspects are going to help you more than some generic legendary that only has similar stats to rares and powers semi useless for your build's skills.

Like I'm running firewall sorc and have a +mana generation aspect that I posted about up thread, but there are like 3-4 other ones to help my build, I just don't need them yet because it seems easy to me, trying to save some gold/materials for later when I do need them.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

The Ol Spicy Keychain posted:

gotta give props to Lilith's voice actor. she knocked it out of the park in that scene. you could really hear the absolute hatred in her voice after she stabbed him in the back with his own spear. it was a loving brutal death

yeah, she really did. i was very much in the 'oh, another kerrigan' camp when i first saw her, but she brings a lot of depth to the character in her delivery. that line, for example, is very much like she despises his inability to comprehend the reason for the silence than her hatred for him specifically. i think she loved him, even at the end. like how their conversation begins with her basically teasing him as her little toy soldier, and inarius just... keeps spouting the party lines like he thinks there's anyone there but him and her. so at the end, she's like: what the gently caress aren't you understanding? a sort of loathing that can only come from seeing someone you love or loved being so very stupid, i think.

you even get some sympathy for prava, too. it's wild from start to finish.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

2 unique drops in 1 hour, i was thinking about titties, maybe this helps spread the word

IAMNOTADOCTOR
Sep 26, 2013

Just started playing, level 10 druid, game is incredibly good. I don't care about end game stuff and never have in the previous diablos but the journey so far has been Incredible and so much better than diablo 3.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

My one and only unique drop so far was a chest with the only modifier being +3.5k thorns on it (a min roll since it could have rolled like 5k thorns instead). With less armor than my current chest piece. Not something I'll be using but I bet you could make a sort of funny thorns gimmick build up until the point you start getting one-shot.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Swilo posted:

have you played it at all in the past like 8 years

yes its loving dogshit. worse if anything

Ms. Chanandler Bong
Dec 20, 2008

My game has been crashing every half an hour with one of these super long error codes. I think I'm done after trying every proposed solution on the internet. Anyone else getting these?

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
No I played all night and didn’t have any of the issues in this thread. Diablo ftw

Krataar
Sep 13, 2011

Drums in the deep

I can’t decide between Necro skelly man or Druid man. Plus it seems like there isn’t a many pets build for Druid?

edit: nvm i literally just cant get in the game because it freezes on launch.

Krataar fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Jun 6, 2023

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
You can put three pets on your bars at the same time and there are Legos that add "+damage to you per companion" or "you are now three werewolves", etc. Sounds supported to me!

Hawgh
Feb 27, 2013

Size does matter, after all.
You can have two wolves, a vine and up to 3 ravens. Only the wolves are really entities with hp that can take hits, and I personally almost can't see the vine and ravens move around

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Level 51 and chain lightning is starting to feeling weak, even with the +mana on bounce and +chance for extra bounces legendaries.

The Guides And Streamers say Arc Lash is better for end game, and I saw a comment like that here too - what's the TL;DR on what makes Arc Lash better? Doesn't seem like a single build defining legendary or anything.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Krataar posted:

I can’t decide between Necro skelly man or Druid man. Plus it seems like there isn’t a many pets build for Druid?

Ultimately it comes down to if you want to look like a singer from early 00's emo band or a man who doesn't need to transform to be a bear.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Arc Lash has a hidden aspd modifier and doesn't require mana, letting you focus purely on procs/stuns instead of the Sorc's exceptionally weak spenders.

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

The sorc build metagame right now is to try to get all 4 defensives on your bars to be able to survive and it kinda blows lol

Turds in magma
Sep 17, 2007
can i get a transform out of here?
Hardcore trip report to lvl 26 rogue:

Game is fun, no major danger points in the first act. Nothing like Belial in D3 so far.

Lost the character during the server fail last night - game crashed and logged back into an empty char screen 😭

Remade a chain lighting sorc - level this to 16 in like... An hour? So much faster. Will probably beat the campaign with this before trying HC again so that I know what's coming.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Hawgh posted:

You can have two wolves, a vine and up to 3 ravens. Only the wolves are really entities with hp that can take hits, and I personally almost can't see the vine and ravens move around

The vine creeper animation is subtle but I love it. Just a spooky vine thing slithering around the edges of the screen at all times. Also the skill itself is strong as hell.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I think there are a lot of ways to go with Rogue & I know Whirling Blades is the meta spec but as far as leveling goes, Flurry is great. Take Puncture and the upgrade that makes it apply Vulnerable when you hit an enemy with two blades at once, take Flurry and the upgrade that makes it spread Vulnerable to all enemies hit when you hit at least one Vulnerable enemy, then get to level 15 and do the Rogue Specialization quest that sends you into the dungeon that rewards you with the "Flurry casts in a 360° angle" aspect. Then you get to zip around and get huge packs of monsters chasing you and you can stand in the middle and just buzzsaw them. The "each time Flurry damages a vulnerable enemy, you heal 1% of your maximum life" node makes you really hard to kill.

Deadlock
Oct 10, 2005
Deathsponge requesting to join Cathedral of Goons

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

goferchan posted:

I think there are a lot of ways to go with Rogue & I know Whirling Blades is the meta spec but as far as leveling goes, Flurry is great. Take Puncture and the upgrade that makes it apply Vulnerable when you hit an enemy with two blades at once, take Flurry and the upgrade that makes it spread Vulnerable to all enemies hit when you hit at least one Vulnerable enemy, then get to level 15 and do the Rogue Specialization quest that sends you into the dungeon that rewards you with the "Flurry casts in a 360° angle" aspect. Then you get to zip around and get huge packs of monsters chasing you and you can stand in the middle and just buzzsaw them. The "each time Flurry damages a vulnerable enemy, you heal 1% of your maximum life" node makes you really hard to kill.

Flurry Rogue is apparently s-tier in the meta and I imagine it's because of the survivability given by "flurry is 360 degrees and also 1% health gain per vulnerable enemy"

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
I couldn't handle the last Act II boss, not to mention Act III. I need some help and maybe there's gonna be a new clan? I feel like this 65 year old body just may not have enough anymore. I'm also having trouble understanding all of these different ways to upgrade my character, especially the aspect stuff. Any good videos doing a complete explanation I could watch?

pineapple3k
Feb 12, 2014
Are loading screens supposed to be long in this game or is it cause the servers are still messed up? Entering cellar doors sometimes leads to a minute or two long loading screens, same with town portals. I'll also get a force field in the open world which I guess is loading a new area.
Will turning down my graphics settings help?

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Horizon Burning posted:

yeah, she really did. i was very much in the 'oh, another kerrigan' camp when i first saw her, but she brings a lot of depth to the character in her delivery. that line, for example, is very much like she despises his inability to comprehend the reason for the silence than her hatred for him specifically. i think she loved him, even at the end. like how their conversation begins with her basically teasing him as her little toy soldier, and inarius just... keeps spouting the party lines like he thinks there's anyone there but him and her. so at the end, she's like: what the gently caress aren't you understanding? a sort of loathing that can only come from seeing someone you love or loved being so very stupid, i think.

you even get some sympathy for prava, too. it's wild from start to finish.

I had sympathy for Prava right up until she tried to have my friend killed. Looking forward to the future expansion boss fight where we destroy whatever is left of the church of light

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Ice Fist posted:

I had sympathy for Prava right up until she tried to have my friend killed. Looking forward to the future expansion boss fight where we destroy whatever is left of the church of light

Those are my favorite enemies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I truly loathe giving this advice but when I switched from a diy build to one from a guide I went from struggling to whipping rear end instantly.

The tip I started to get from them for diy-ers is to identify a gimmick and drill that poo poo into the ground with passives and more importantly aspects.