Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Well, that State of Play was dire. I guess Dragon's Dogma 2 is good to have confirmed, and that Moebius-looking thing which is either a metroidvania or a roguelike (Ultros or whatever) looked kinda cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Bumhead posted:

Alright so what are the expectations for Nintendo in all this?

Likely they just drop a Direct at a weeks notice or will they be part of Geoff’s thing?
last I heard, they're choosing to participate at Gamescom in August instead

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Item Getter posted:

Why did they even call it Marathon when it doesn't look like or have anything to do with Marathon

It is officially set in the Marathon universe and will have some story/lore component that links it with the older games. The setting of the new one is the far future of the ruins of the Tau Ceti colony, frequently referenced in the first game but never seen

But certainly the gameplay they've promised and the CG trailer are Marathon in name only so far

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

No wildly confusing ship layouts or weird timeline fuckery you need to actively be paying attention to the story to notice?

Shame.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
do any of these goons still work at bungie?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-LozGGB35k

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
it's time for the marvelous games showcase folks.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Feels Villeneuve posted:

it's time for the marvelous games showcase folks.

they announced rune factory 6 (as well as a spinoff) so i decree it better than the ps5 one

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Endorph posted:

they announced rune factory 6 (as well as a spinoff) so i decree it better than the ps5 one

Oh god dang it I gotta go back and watch it

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

they showed 20 seconds of the spinoff and 0 seconds of 6 dont get too excited

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
aw doggone it

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Assepoester posted:

When MS makes an accessibility controller:

When Sony makes an accessibility controller:

What's your point?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Fuse em up, they stuff they upgrade sucks

John Yossarian
Aug 24, 2013
I wonder if they'll reveal the new Wonder Woman game this summer. Not much is known about it, so it might be kinda cool if they showed some gameplay.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

John Yossarian posted:

I wonder if they'll reveal the new Wonder Woman game this summer. Not much is known about it, so it might be kinda cool if they showed some gameplay.

it will be an open world action-parkour game with a colored loot system, enemy levels, and other subtle fumes of a painted-over live service title

Orv
May 4, 2011

Vermain posted:

it will be an open world action-parkour game with a colored loot system, enemy levels, and other subtle fumes of a painted-over live service title

It’s by Monolith so hopefully not, Shadow of Mordor/War were some of the most simple, joyful fun I’ve had in years. The lovely orc stuff in SoW was WB mandated so there’s every chance they’ll force that again, of course but then you can always just wait six months for it to get stripped out again.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Vermain posted:

It's amazing that WB had Rocksteady turn Suicide Squad into a 4 player coop third person looter shooter rather than, say, letting them use their solid Batman combat system for a Wonder Woman game where they could scale it up with magic abilities and fighting mythical monsters and gods.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Doublefine is still chugging along?
Man, they really had a space of about 2 years where Indie Crowdfunded was viable before HD visuals blew everyone's budget to shreds.

Assepoester posted:

rather than, say, letting them use their solid Batman combat system for a Wonder Woman game where they could scale it up with magic abilities and fighting mythical monsters and gods.
"Batman meets God of War" is the pitch.

Cartoonish money signs just appear in the eyes of the execs.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's a good thing they don't crowdfund games anymore then, I guess? Microsoft has owned them for like three years.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

FilthyImp posted:

Doublefine is still chugging along?
Man, they really had a space of about 2 years where Indie Crowdfunded was viable before HD visuals blew everyone's budget to shreds.

True but their first crowdfunded game massively blew its budget because they chose illustrated HD visuals with high production values.

They learned their lesson after that and their second crowdfunded game was half baked and shat out.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
why did lightguns go away but shoot games are more popular than ever?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Khanstant posted:

why did lightguns go away but shoot games are more popular than ever?

Lightguns were pretty heavily tied to CRT television technology.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I don't mean that exact hardware, I find it impossible to believe there is not another way for a handheld device to determine a point on an arbitrary screen combined with software meant for it. If consumers wanted it, they'd make it but seems like people don't like it enough for anyone to work on the problems it has, like movement.

edit: i guess VR controllers are pretty similar in a few ways

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

You guessed, VR fills that niche.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Khanstant posted:

I don't mean that exact hardware, I find it impossible to believe there is not another way for a handheld device to determine a point on an arbitrary screen combined with software meant for it. If consumers wanted it, they'd make it but seems like people don't like it enough for anyone to work on the problems it has, like movement.

edit: i guess VR controllers are pretty similar in a few ways

You're looking for the Wii thread, that's buried a few pages back.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Khanstant posted:

Yeah arcade lightgun games continued a bit past the CRT era, they just used Wii sensor bar type setups, often with 4 or more sensors embedded in the screen bezel to make them more accurate.

But the thing is the lightgun game was a genre tied intensely to the arcade, and with the death of arcades came the death of new lightgun games. Today you can get a sinden lightgun for your PC and emulate pretty much every old arcade lightgun game with it, but it's still very niche so it's not like anyone is making brand new lightgun games. The last gasp of the lightgun console game was the WiiPS360 generation, where all 3 consoles had some ports and a bunch of new lightgun games made for them and their pointing peripherals (wiimote, kinect, move controller), some of them being legendarily bad...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3EvZHoIY2E

As BeanpolePeckerwood mentioned, these days if there is anything resembling a lightgun railshooter being made these days, it's for VR, with indie games like Crisis VRigade

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-LHQWUorkE

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

And the focus of lightgun emulation is in VR too, with frontends like EmuVR heavily focusing on lightgun support.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Seems like it would make me like Time Crisis / Area 51 more than play it because someone inevitably loves it and youre not gonna leave em hanging

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

simultaneously barf and based

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

E: Wrong thread. So I guess I'll just say hooray for video games, except the bad ones, boo to them.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

it's time for a bump because we're nearly there. the first event, the Guerilla Collective Showcase, is on June 7th at 9 AM PST/11 AM CT/12 PM ET

some of the games that will be shown:

Demonschool
Voidtrain
Blood West (possible 1.0 date?)
Antonblast (the OTHER wario land tribute)
Hammerwatch 2
WrestleQuest
Iron Meat
Deadlink
Dawn of the Monsters (Wayforward)
Nocturnal (will be out the same day)
Nivalis
SacriFire
Pizza Possum
Evolutis
Toads of the Bayou
Serum
Sengoku Dynasty
Arc Seed
Abyssus
Battle Shapers
Light Odyssey
Bye Sweet Carole
Sticky Business
StormEdge
Outbreak Island
Jumplight Odyssey
Heart Abyss
Toxic Crusaders
Do You See Sparky?
Don Duality
A Corgi's Cozy Hike
Hello Engineer
CorpoNation
something from the developer of Alwa's Legacy/Awakening
Yomi 2
SpiderHeck
Black Skylands (1.0 date?)
I Am Future
Europa
Super Adventure Hand
Lil Guardsman
Slime3K
Ferocious
Noun Town Language Learning

There is also a Publisher Spotlight at 11AM that same day which will feature One Lonely Outpost, LunarLux, The Dead Await, Dust Fleet, Akatori, Rune Colisseum.

and going to the website I also spied: Sugar Shack, Vengence of Mr Peppermint, Remnant 2, A Tiny Sticker Tale, new DLC for Grime, Nova Lands, Death Trick: Double Blind, Gori: Cuddly Carnage, Animal Well, Snacko, Slave Zero X, XenoTilt (sequel to Demon Tilt, screenshot shown above), Loddlenaut, In Stars and Time

they split their showcase up across two separate days so some of these games will be in one and some in the other. there will also be a couple other events that are sort of under the same umbrella like Black Voices in Gaming and Dames Make Games but I don't know what the lineups will be in those.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Hmmm, maybe we'll get a Remnant 2 release date there, it currently has a vague "Summer 2023" right now. R2 is low key one of the games I'm looking forward to the most this year.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

you're a real one for fully featuring Xenotilt on the post

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
It has been all but confirmed some sort of fortnite news will be happening during summer game fest. I'll have to watch that stream now.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/CapcomUSA_/status/1665886352531939329?s=20

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Mr Hootington posted:

It has been all but confirmed some sort of fortnite news will be happening during summer game fest. I'll have to watch that stream now.

Perhaps they are adding a Star Wars or Marvel character???

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

The Grey posted:

Perhaps they are adding a Star Wars or Marvel character???

It will be a trailer for chapter 4 season 3 and maybe a surprise announcement of 1st person mode or the new racing mode.

Next season's crossover is Transformers and possibly Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Epic signed a deal with paramount to do some tie ins.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

thanks, added to the OP!

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

So what's Capcom potentially got in the tank? The only thing I can think of since they already announced Street Fighter 6's first DLC wave is Monster Hunter World 2 since it's been a few years since Rise.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

There are still a couple unannounced Ace Attorney projects from the big ransomware leak a few years ago, a collection of 4-6 and Ace Attorney 7

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

njsykora posted:

So what's Capcom potentially got in the tank? The only thing I can think of since they already announced Street Fighter 6's first DLC wave is Monster Hunter World 2 since it's been a few years since Rise.

Probably news about that Exoprimal crap alongside Rashid for SF6 and more Dragons Dogma 2 footage, but other than that probably game collection stuff.