Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
what about a 30th anniversary of Pablo Honey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Bismack Billabongo posted:

Does anybody care enough about hail to the thief to buy an anniversary edition of it tho

ME

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
There There is a great song, the rest of the album is ok. Some great B sides though

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Automata 10 Pack posted:

A double LP version of HTTT that is the thom tracklist for disc one and then the album songs not on the tracklist + b-sides for disc two

In retrospect all that material could have been released in the same way as Kid A & Amnesiac imo.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
There are two kinds of people in the world: people who think HTTT is real good and people who are wrong.

Never understood why folks dislike it so much.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
It’s unfocused and the songs are largely just ok. An ok Radiohead song is still good but it’s definitely the album of theirs that is the most “pick and choose” after the basically bulletproof run of the three albums prior to it (or four depending on how you feel about the bends)

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
There’s more tracks I skip on HTTT than any other Radiohead album. I still enjoy it but anyone who puts it over TKOL is insane to me

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Pirate Jet posted:

There’s more tracks I skip on HTTT than any other Radiohead album. I still enjoy it but anyone who puts it over TKOL is insane to me

I'm probably insane then. I like TKOL songs better live for the most part (see: "Bloom") and find the album a bit flat, excepting maybe 2 songs (but "Lotus Flower" mostly).

But HTTT -- "Scatterbrain" is possibly in my top ten, "2+2=5" is an awesome opener, and "Go to Sleep" and "There There" are amazing (especially live). Many of the other tracks fall into the "that's a fun one" category for me.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
My custom HTTT playlist goes:

2+2=5 / Sit Down, Stand Up / Where I End and You Begin / Go To Sleep / Sail to the Moon / I Will / Punch Up / Myxomatosis / Scatterbrain / There There / Gagging Order / Wolf at the Door

(I put the missing songs on a companion Com Lag playlist). I don't dislike the original album, but I don't think it flows particularly well. There There is practically the climax of the album in my mind, but it's right there in the middle and the album just kind of coasts along after that.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

My custom TKOL playlist is 24 tracks long :blush:

I love The Smile debut but only liked a few tracks from AMSP so I've merged them with some other stuff and that's currently at 20 tracks but will no doubt be rearranged when the next Smile album drops because music being digital and allowing us to make our own playlists like this is awesome and fun.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Framboise posted:

There are two kinds of people in the world: people who think HTTT is real good and people who are wrong.

Never understood why folks dislike it so much.

It’s fine.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
HTTT is their white album. It’s a real hodgepodge and also represents their style in a transitional phase. Like the white album, it has some of their best and worst songs, and probably could’ve been trimmed.

Working backwards from there,
Amnesiac : Magical Mystery Tour
Kid A: Pepper
Ok Computer: Revolver
The Bends: Rubber Soul.

It also makes In Rainbows Abbey Road and TKOL Let it Be, which also fits imho

Jewmanji fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jun 6, 2023

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Pirate Jet posted:

I'm definitely insane then, TKOL is probably the album I listen to least. Lotus Flower's top tier though.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Pirate Jet posted:

I'm insane then because I would rather listen to HTTT than TKOL at all times. HTTT rules, TKOL drools.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Myxomatosis/Scatterbrain/Wolf at the Door is one of my favorite 3-track runs in their entire catalog. It may be an unfocused, meandering album, but the highs are just as high as any other record IMO

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Freaquency posted:

Myxomatosis/Scatterbrain/Wolf at the Door is one of my favorite 3-track runs in their entire catalog. It may be an unfocused, meandering album, but the highs are just as high as any other record IMO
2+2=5/Sit Down, Stand Up is a hell of an opening couple tracks. I would say it's my favorite album opener of their entire catalog, but Everything In Its Right Place and Airbag have it beat. They have some really incredible openings to albums.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Freaquency posted:

I've always found it impressive how TKOL, despite being only 8 tracks, managed to cram so much musical variety into such a short album.

If you played a non-listener Little by Little, Feral, Lotus Flower, Codex & Give Up the Ghost they would probably think they were all tracks from different albums, and possibly different bands were it not for Thom's voice. It's why I've always found it odd when people insist that tracks like Daily Mail would not have worked on the album when you could point at any track on TKOL as-is and say exactly the same.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Freaquency posted:

Myxomatosis/Scatterbrain/Wolf at the Door is one of my favorite 3-track runs in their entire catalog.

Topped only by "Optimistic" > "In Limbo" > "Idioteque". drat that is just perfection.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
HTTT had a lovely limited edition cd set

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
So did all of the pre-IR albums. They were just EMI cash grabs featuring already existing material and the band promptly memory holed them when they got the rights to the recordings back (though technically they still exist on Spotify, sans the songs that aren't on there otherwise)

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Volte posted:

So did all of the pre-IR albums. They were just EMI cash grabs featuring already existing material and the band promptly memory holed them when they got the rights to the recordings back (though technically they still exist on Spotify, sans the songs that aren't on there otherwise)

No way. Amnesiac limited edition is incredible. HTTT is just a map and it fits on the shelf weird

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Volte posted:

Kinda bummed the band didn't include the Amnesiac b-sides in Kid Amnesia because there were some great tracks left out (e.g. Amazing Sounds of Orgy. How was that not put on the album at the time?!) while they were obviously aware of them when offering up an iffy alternate take of Fast Track and another version of Fog. Kinda have a soft spot for Transatlantic Drawl being the bombastic brother to National Anthem and still kinda fitting because of the horns and segue into ambience, would have been excited to see an alternate version which was a little less goofy (mainly just remove Thom's sounds at the start).

Come to think of it, isn't there software available that removes vocals from songs? If it's free I might experiment with it. I managed to get a version of Spooks from the Inherent Vice OST with all the talking removed which fits in really well with The Smile material.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
The extra songs on the Collectors Editions are definitely great, but aside from the convenience of having those songs on one CD (which isn't much of a convenience in the streaming era), they don't really offer anything to make it worthy of being a "special edition". It's more like one of those old discount Playstation Classics "two classic games in one package" releases as opposed to any kind of elaboration on the original idea, which is probably why the band wanted them forgotten about.

edit: as far as B-sides not being included on Kid Amnesia, I think that was mainly Thom and Stanley's art project and they still had plenty to say and all the material still available to say it with, so filling it up with stuff that was left off the album in the first place wasn't their priority. I think that if OKC had a lot more stuff left over that was usable, we wouldn't necessarily have gotten the B-sides on that either.

Volte fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jun 6, 2023

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
TKOL is top 5 radiohead for me, and it's not number 5.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
drat I can't believe everyone is crazy except me.

SUNKOS posted:

Kinda bummed the band didn't include the Amnesiac b-sides in Kid Amnesia because there were some great tracks left out (e.g. Amazing Sounds of Orgy. How was that not put on the album at the time?!) while they were obviously aware of them when offering up an iffy alternate take of Fast Track and another version of Fog. Kinda have a soft spot for Transatlantic Drawl being the bombastic brother to National Anthem and still kinda fitting because of the horns and segue into ambience, would have been excited to see an alternate version which was a little less goofy (mainly just remove Thom's sounds at the start).

Tbh the entire Kid A Mnesia thing was a real letdown compared to OKNOTOK that only got saved at the very end by the absolutely incredible game.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I thought the opposite. Other than I Promise, Man of War is a great song but it was likely recorded largely during the AMSP sessions, and they released a comparably lame version of Lift compared to the version they actually finished for OKC. The coolest part was the cassette and that wasn't even available to most people unless you pirated it. The whole Kid Amnesia project was done in a cool way that made it feel like a real revisiting of the original albums and not just a compilation album in an era where compilation albums are essentially obsolete.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

I like lift even if it sounds extremely of it's time

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I like Kid Amnesia and OKNOTOK but I think that if you're putting together a project to celebrate the anniversary of an album, then the absolute bare minimum should be to have all songs released so far as a starting point and then expand on that with additional and previously unheard material.

It's not an issue so much in the digital age when you can get the missing tracks from another release but it just seems silly to me that someone who collects would need both the old reissues and the anniversary editions to have the "complete" set.

For reference I'm comparing to Smashing Pumpkins reissued albums which really do just compile everything across multiple discs and completely capture that era with all available material, and it's been a while now but I'm pretty sure The Beatles albums have received the same treatment? This is first and foremost music after all, so if you're going to celebrate the anniversary and put together a special package I think the focus should be on compiling as much music as possible. I'm a big fan of peeks behind the curtain though, maybe it's not for everyone? I adore Stanley's art as well and do consider him part of the band, much like Nigel, but I think the priority should always be to compile the music first.

I do like what they did with actually working on compiling the third disc of Kid Amnesia into a sort-of album that flows however, that was great and would have taken a chunk of time and effort, it's just a little frustrating that they did so but left some great material out.

hallo spacedog posted:

I like lift even if it sounds extremely of it's time

I think that's part of the charm, especially given the time it was released.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Lift felt really good as a thematic “epliogue” to AMSP or idk maybe I’m crazy.

Pizza Club
Aug 28, 2006

President Jerk

SUNKOS posted:

For reference I'm comparing to Smashing Pumpkins reissued albums which really do just compile everything across multiple discs and completely capture that era with all available material

They skip (obvious) stuff too. I feel the same way you do, but this isn't a good example.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Pizza Club posted:

They skip (obvious) stuff too. I feel the same way you do, but this isn't a good example.

Still waiting on that Machina repress/anniversary edition...........

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Pizza Club posted:

I was going to mention what Trent Reznor did with the fancy new releases of The Fragile as well but yeah, I think the general point more or less comes across.

On a more topical note, obviously there's excitement for the next Smile album and Radiohead is in a casual "Whenever we feel like it" state right now but Thom never stops and while I adore The Smile and am positive the second album will be just as great as the first, I'm kinda hoping we get another Atoms for Peace record at some point because Amok was awesome :3:

Was just checking the Wiki for the band and apparently after the lineup toured to perform songs from The Eraser they then got together in LA for just 3 days to jam and record, with Thom & Nigel editing and arranging all the material for two years afterwards to make the album. Really hope we get another from AFP at some point, maybe after the next Smile one?

Imagine if they jump right into a third Smile album as quickly as they did the second, though :stare:

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
New big rear end The Smile single just dropped. 8 minutes!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBtJ9_zTqdE

Press release says it's a loosie and won't be a part of any album. So uh, pair it with that Creep remix or whatever, lol.

Honestly, the song... Is good. Best Smile song, maybe even as good as a s-tier Radiohead track.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jun 20, 2023

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Yeah, that's a drat good song :eyepop:

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Holy loving poo poo. What a song.

And that's not even going to be on their next album? It's just a casual leftover? An 8-minute loving epic that obviously came out of those recording sessions months back and they casually release it as if it's no big deal?! :stare:

Thom's vocals are once again perfect, the string arrangement is spectacular and I was not expecting that climax with Jonny letting loose on guitar like that. Never thought we'd hear him play like that again. And how the three of them write songs like this and manage to sound like a much fuller band than Radiohead has on their last couple of albums (not knocking them, but The Smile has gone above and beyond at this point) is astonishing.

ALFAA was fantastic enough and it's looking like the second will be just as good, if not even better. I'm blown away.

Also, I know the chances are extremely low but hearing that has left me hoping The Smile delivers a studio version of Cut a Hole more than ever because thinking of how that live version would be expanded in the studio with strings and Thom's voice still sounding so good has me sure that it would turn out brilliantly. Obviously they have no shortage of material to pick and choose from for their second album though.

...Imagine if they're right back into the studio again after they finish touring the upcoming album?! :vince:

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I'm surprised Bending Hectic won't be on the record. I got the impression that was kind of the centerpiece of the new material from last tour. The studio recording is incredibly good though, I love the Penderecki-esque breakdown.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
This isn't going to be on the next album? Huge misstep, this song owns

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I think it's ok these days to just release a song as its own thing. This is amazing either way

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I just wanted it when I inevitably pick up the next album as a vinyl lol

As far as streaming era releases goes, it's not a big deal though yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Yeah, I can understand being really bummed out if you're a vinyl collector but I think that considering these guys pioneered an approach that embraces digital releases while the music industry was railing against it, I think they might be of the mindset that while they put a lot of care and effort into their physical releases, they also probably assume a lot of fans will take material from all their various releases and essentially put together their own playlists or versions of albums.

We've seen that for a while with Radiohead (AMSP didn't have as many b-sides, but they still put out Ill Wind & Spectre as extra tracks for people) and In Rainbows having the second disc and King of Limbs just being a bunch of separate releases that are clearly part of the same project but are for fans to do with as they please.

Again, full sympathies to vinyl collectors because this stuff must be really annoying but as fantastic as Bending Hectic is, it's also one of the new songs that they have played a lot live, combined with some other new tracks. Wild guess here but I suspect that maybe they want the upcoming album to be more fresh and not comprise a bunch of tracks that people have already heard? I think that might be the logic behind it? It could also be a matter of track length since it's 8 minutes long and they can only get so much on a single vinyl pressing, so it could be a "Well we could put this on, but then we have to cut these..." type scenario?