Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

bedpan posted:

trying to workshop an "active goys cancellation" joke but not succeeding

Would be the big tattooed Israeli guy who works the counter at my favorite hummus shop?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Thoguh posted:

I just want an AR contact lens that'll show me stats like I was in a video game and is that to much to ask?

All I want, all I want, is for people's names to be floating above their heads. Plz future grant me this one grace

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

In modern America when your neighbors fall on hard times they just quietly leave your artificial suburban community and cease to exist.

I agree this is a shame, but... Have you met people though? Terrible, terrible.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

KirbyKhan posted:

All I want, all I want, is for people's names to be floating above their heads. Plz future grant me this one grace

The Police Officer scowls at you, ready to attack. What would you like your tombstone to say?

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

KirbyKhan posted:

Damnit, I didn’t want anything to do with AR until I read this. I am so horrible with names, that I would possibly consider those goofy rear end ski goggles if that actually became a thing.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
What community, most people don't know their neighbors.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

if you're rich*

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

AvesPKS posted:

Would be the big tattooed Israeli guy who works the counter at my favorite hummus shop?

mama mia!

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/samstein/status/1666094092798038022?s=20

lol

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

comedyblissoption posted:

it's infuriating to work in an office if you're doing actual loving work if you dont have headphones lol

none of these people are doing actual work even in the context of utterly bullshit jobs, they're just addicts who use their workspace to fulfill their need for literally constant social connection at the expense of everyone around them

Ragaduffin
Nov 28, 2007
Far out dude

Not quite right - it's not even released yet, but people think it'll be a failure just from the jazzed up marketing materials. So ... Probably gonna be worse when it bombs for real.

Of course, since I'm saying this, it'll probably succeed when it comes out, and number will do what number does best.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

https://twitter.com/ultrabrilliant/status/1665826294590853120

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

The Battle of Blair Mountain started over some Pinkertons evicting women and children from company housing. They were shot over it.

A century later and people don't even notice when their neighbors get evicted, society is thoroughly atomized. In modern America when your neighbors fall on hard times they just quietly leave your artificial suburban community and cease to exist.

correct. it also helps Americans unilaterally all hate their neighbors and alienated from the dreaded evil masses who just want to do things to annoy you, the homeowner, personally

see also nextdoor

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

every wine mom, a country

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

It can't be overstated how funny this merger is after the past year or so

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

i will never forgive my neighbor for using a leaf blower

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

The contradictions never cease!

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

net work error posted:

americans love money above all else
saudis know this, chinese know this, etc.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

net work error posted:

Americans have absolutely no values or beliefs other than what the television, radio, or Facebook tell them today

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

Americans have absolutely no values or beliefs other than what the television, radio, or Facebook tell them today

did people vote on this merger???

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
Hopefully golf dies.

Errr...golf delenda est?

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

triple sulk posted:

i've pretty much been telling everyone i know that all this poo poo is completely subsidized and eventually everyone will run out of money and the whole thing will fall apart

Yep. The only future for models like this right now is single instance data generation built off small models. It makes sense as a replacement copywriter or a digital administrative assistant for a giant manufacturing firm. It won't ever make sense as software as a service for small to medium businesses which is the entire ecosystem they need to operate in to actually impact society in the way they're pitching.

Nobody has the compute cycles for this and the second openai/etc stops subsidizing the offering the interest is going to dry up.

Engorged Pedipalps has issued a correction as of 16:22 on Jun 6, 2023

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Xaris posted:

correct. it also helps Americans unilaterally all hate their neighbors and alienated from the dreaded evil masses who just want to do things to annoy you, the homeowner, personally

see also nextdoor

Americans also have drastically more trust in the system than most will admit. Like the typical person will not accept that their bank is trying to steal their home from them, because that really takes an extreme amount of class consciousness that's been thoroughly beaten out of the average American.

Lots of people will say "gently caress the rich," but it's a much bigger leap to realize that the wealthy are your actual enemies and they are actively stealing from you and don't give a poo poo if you die/become homeless as a result of that theft.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

lmao

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

did we find out what the cord is plugged into ?

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

euphronius posted:

did we find out what the cord is plugged into ?
battery lol
battery life - 2 hours

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

fits my needs posted:

battery lol
battery life - 2 hours

incredible lmaos

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

Ragaduffin posted:

Not quite right - it's not even released yet, but people think it'll be a failure just from the jazzed up marketing materials. So ... Probably gonna be worse when it bombs for real.

Of course, since I'm saying this, it'll probably succeed when it comes out, and number will do what number does best.

I just don't see it

Mobile carriers aren't gonna subsidize this like they do iphones and MacBooks are popular but also happen to offer student discounts that make them competitive with PC notebooks. This product is priced like the highest end Mac computers without the subsidy pipeline or utilitarian use cases their other offerings have. The expense is high, difficult to defray, and difficult to justify. At a time when consumer credit is already being pushed beyond it's breaking point.

Apple has surprised me before but this product succeeding would be on par with a religious miracle

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Engorged Pedipalps posted:

Yep. The only future for models like this right now is single instance data generation built off small models. It makes sense as a replacement copywriter or a digital administrative assistant for a giant manufacturing firm. It won't ever make sense as software as a service for small to medium businesses which is the entire ecosystem they need to operate in to actually impact society in the way they're pitching.

Nobody has the compute cycles for this and the second openai/etc stops subsidizing the offering the interest is going to dry up.

And it has to be pushed back, both to avoid the minor chance of this tick finding a vessel and sucking on, and to kill this trash before it does too much damage to the economy.

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

fits my needs posted:

battery lol
battery life - 2 hours

Did I hear right that the replacement batteries are 750$

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

who knew the VR division of apple was worth 1% of a trillion dollars

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Apple Vision Pro gave me beefbrain

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Lmao that Tumblr is gonna be the last person standing.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

fits my needs posted:

battery lol
battery life - 2 hours

this is the pinnacle of what the best UX firm in the world can do with VR at this stage of technology

sorry folks, we're just not there yet

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Any consumer who buys that thing instead of waiting for the third or fourth gen is an idiot. It’s clearly for developers that will write apps for the thing.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

https://twitter.com/CreakyLegs/status/1665873822648549378

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

watching 2/3 of fellowship of the ring on my iVR and then swapping out the drained battery for a stack of 750 dollar bills

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

alarumklok posted:

watching 2/3 of fellowship of the ring on my iVR and then swapping out the drained battery for a stack of 750 dollar bills

your life is improved, citizen. be happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Paradoxish posted:

Americans also have drastically more trust in the system than most will admit. Like the typical person will not accept that their bank is trying to steal their home from them, because that really takes an extreme amount of class consciousness that's been thoroughly beaten out of the average American.

Lots of people will say "gently caress the rich," but it's a much bigger leap to realize that the wealthy are your actual enemies and they are actively stealing from you and don't give a poo poo if you die/become homeless as a result of that theft.

yep.