Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

pnumoman posted:

The open secret is that Twitch is absurdly expensive to run. Amazon is just done subsidizing it is all.

Amazon owns the servers! It's all aws!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

The Police Officer scowls at you, ready to attack. What would you like your tombstone to say?

pepperony and chees

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Grapplejack posted:

Amazon is going to go broke if they keep paying Amazon so much money.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

Grapplejack posted:

Idk what people think but behind the scenes Amazon does a lot of exchanging money between different internal businesses without discounts.

Internal teams/businesses have to pay for ads in the website just like 3rd parties, they pay for fulfillment center space for items, AWS usage, etc etc.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
From this morning's Furman clip I posted in case you missed it.
https://twitter.com/paleofuture/status/1666166764860764162?t=xqTjnZEF53mlkXBsOi5pTA&s=19

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Eric Cantonese posted:

I would like to know what Apple's long term plan for this is. To be fair to them, it looks like this is the best thought-out implementation and probably the least taxing from an ergonomic/eye-strain point of view, but I don't see a massive hankering in consumers for this. Maybe there's some super-long term market share masterplan going on...

I can think of work-related uses for good AR capabilities that this might be able to give, but I don't know if Apple was thinking about that. Apple thinks it's going to sell 900,000 units over the next 12 months (which is a tiny fraction of its sales expectations for every other kind of device it sells), but I'm skeptical that it'll even go there.

I think it was to patent all the cool VR/AR technology they can. I'm in a social group that is heavily into VR things and that was one of the complaints they made that thanks to Apple there won't be any good face tracking on any new headsets going forward for the next 20 years.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

RealityWarCriminal posted:

where you gonna go, own3d.tv? nebula? don't make me laugh

We're gonna be exchanging lets play torrents over AM radio at the end of all this

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

RealityWarCriminal posted:

where you gonna go, own3d.tv? nebula? don't make me laugh

justin.tv duh

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Wait, I thought they finally admitted the inflation is actually pure greed of companies, not workers having money, but actually this makes inflation a good thing because Number Go Up?

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Lacrosse posted:

I think it was to patent all the cool VR/AR technology they can. I'm in a social group that is heavily into VR things and that was one of the complaints they made that thanks to Apple there won't be any good face tracking on any new headsets going forward for the next 20 years.

They don't think Apple will continue to make improved headsets after this first go?

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

Marx Headroom posted:

We're gonna be exchanging lets play torrents over AM radio at the end of all this

I remember that Napster's plan, right before they went dead, was to encode movies as mp3s, or something, and distribute them that way.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

they’re going keep beating that horse…

but the economy has bifurcated. I think the only viable answer may be to tax the rich. which they won’t ever do.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Wait, I thought they finally admitted the inflation is actually pure greed of companies, not workers having money, but actually this makes inflation a good thing because Number Go Up?

They see an opportunity to get labor back in line and that is more important to a lot of these guys than the actual causes of inflation

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Bar Ran Dun posted:

but the economy has bifurcated. I think the only viable answer may be to tax the rich. which they won’t ever do.

Guess we die then

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

they could set up a parallel poor person currency

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Eric Cantonese posted:

They don't think Apple will continue to make improved headsets after this first go?

Nobody in my friends group has the means to afford such a device, nor wants to. Unless the military decides to pick it up I don't even know who this device is intended for. It's a dead man walking imo.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Guess a poo poo ton more people will lose their jobs and homes then, that’s what the ruling class wants

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

net work error posted:

Guess we die then

it’ll be a very very slow death 4-5 % isn’t like world ending. that’ll and there will be a recession at some point so it’ll drop in that period eventually. but I think it’ll come back up.

it also might be the only way the housing affordability ever comes down (If prices stabilize there, and we continue to get 4-5% anyway)

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Maybe not battery degradation, but definitely due to the OS updates being pushed just past the capabilities of the hardware so you need to buy a new one or suffer through consistently horrible performance on basic tasks (no rollbacks!)
This is marketing nonsense, apple loves to claim this about their products and their operating system, it's simply not true

There's no reason for their phones and computers to have the performance drops they do other than poorly optimized software. They are doing this on purpose, not because they are running into the limitations of processor architecture.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Jel Shaker posted:

they could set up a parallel poor person currency

The Romans did that. basically the rich used currency and everybody else had fixed bartering rates.

but again 4-5 isn’t world ending, it suck but lol everything does.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Xaris posted:

aren’t they like 999$ a night, how did you afford that

lol "support" like work with their boot on my neck, and no, those specific hotels might have been expensive but they own / have owned many smaller and mid market properties.

because Park Hotels was spun off from Hilton Hotels to be the trust for their owned and managed properties in like, 2017

anyway i hope their officer and VP team takes a few bankers' leaps onto the beltway after this

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Bar Ran Dun posted:

it’ll be a very very slow death 4-5 % isn’t like world ending. that’ll and there will be a recession at some point so it’ll drop in that period eventually. but I think it’ll come back up.

it also might be the only way the housing affordability ever comes down (If prices stabilize there, and we continue to get 4-5% anyway)

how does housing become more affordable? prices are going up. wages aren't, not really. not at the level that it would meaningfully affect home buying

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I think the internet is pretty much dead

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Chad Sexington posted:

how does housing become more affordable? prices are going up. wages aren't, not really. not at the level that it would meaningfully affect home buying

government builds a lot of houses and sells them at low prices

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Lacrosse posted:

Nobody in my friends group has the means to afford such a device, nor wants to. Unless the military decides to pick it up I don't even know who this device is intended for. It's a dead man walking imo.

any complex surgery would have to factor the 10 mins scrubbing up time, prepping the patient and then actually getting somewhere bit before you’re already 40% into your battery

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

euphronius posted:

Capital is trying its damndest.

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
The commercial real estate market is hosed and there is no way RTO mandates will fix it. Occupancy will never return to what it used to be, and long term decreases of 20% or more occupancy are catastrophic before we even get into how we should be reorienting society due to white collar WFH. In my city, Calgary, we are ridiculously overbuilt but commercial rents are way too high and companies are desperate to sublease.

I had to go to SF for a conference in March and the hotel cost like 3 grand for a few days, there is no way companies want to pay that either. Except for execs + sales peeps making good figgies

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

euphronius posted:

good. it was a big mistake and shouldn’t have existed

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

euphronius posted:

Murder, She Posted

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites
I've heard a lot of talk of wages going up but like where? I work in a field adjacent to construction and wages have been frozen since covid, even stuff we're supposed to automatically get raises for like new certifications are on hold. My wife is a tenured prof at a big state uni and they got a 10% paycut across the board when covid hit, and have gotten not as high as inflation annual col raises since then, still not back to pre-2020 pay. We're still doing good because we have a house with a low rate mortgage (bought in 2014, refi a couple years back when rates were record low) and we're both at strong points in our careers, but if anything the pandemic hurt our wages not raised them.

I saw a lot of min wage jobs like fast food offering a lot/sign up bonuses in 2020-2021 which percentage wise I guess would be a large increase in wages, is that where number is coming from? Or is it all just tech workers because apparently nothing else in the economy matters?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

wage numbers are also a scam because a huge chunk of labor is under the table

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

PoundSand posted:

I've heard a lot of talk of wages going up but like where? I work in a field adjacent to construction and wages have been frozen since covid, even stuff we're supposed to automatically get raises for like new certifications are on hold. My wife is a tenured prof at a big state uni and they got a 10% paycut across the board when covid hit, and have gotten not as high as inflation annual col raises since then, still not back to pre-2020 pay. We're still doing good because we have a house with a low rate mortgage (bought in 2014, refi a couple years back when rates were record low) and we're both at strong points in our careers, but if anything the pandemic hurt our wages not raised them.

I saw a lot of min wage jobs like fast food offering a lot/sign up bonuses in 2020-2021 which percentage wise I guess would be a large increase in wages, is that where number is coming from? Or is it all just tech workers because apparently nothing else in the economy matters?

those sign up bonuses were/are horseshit op especially in minimum wage jobs also wages havent kept up at all with inflation

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

euphronius posted:

lol they probably wouldn't be permitted to do that anymore because current homeowners are entitled to ever rising prices and will sue.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Bar Ran Dun posted:

4-5% is world ending for a lot of americans

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Wages aren't even going up according to the Fed's own studies and BLS' own accounting lol

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

I love how they call it 5% inflation when anybody with a memory longer than a couple months can see that food prices are 20% higher easily.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Chad Sexington posted:

if rent / houses stay put and inflation otherwise continues. that would be a sustained high interest rate market.

it’s a very very big if and would take decades and only if wages also continued to inflate along with other goods.

euphronius posted:

The boomers are going to die too so 15ish years on that.

we should just tax rich people. we should tax the hell out of unoccupied housing, second homes and short term rentals in SFH . but lmao.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Chad Sexington posted:

Housing might be reaccelerating again too

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Bar Ran Dun posted:

if rent / houses stay put and inflation otherwise continues. that would be a sustained high interest rate market.

it’s a very very big if and would take decades and only if wages also continued to inflate along with other goods.

The boomers are going to die too so 15ish years on that.

we should just tax rich people. we should tax the hell out of unoccupied housing, second homes and short term rentals in SFH . but lmao.

The boomers are going to reverse mortgage their houses to afford EOL care, which is priced at whatever you can afford + 20%. It'll go to a corporation after they die like God intended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Xaris posted:

good. it was a big mistake and shouldn’t have existed

It was worth it for the posts