Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Cannon_Fodder posted:

I didn't do it, goddamnit, but I'm going to make some rules so I don't do it again.

No. Firstly, this change was before it happened, with the key provision signed by Putin a week ago. And the change isn't "this shouldn't happen", it's "if there is a regrettable accident, it is no-one's fault" and also "no-one is required to verify the condition of dams in the occupied territories".

(edit:) This change in law, made just a week ago, is the largest loving smoking gun that it was in fact entirely intentional act by Russia. It compares in scale to the new regulations for construction of mass graves that were distributed just before the invasion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I don't get why Russia would bother trying to make neglect of the dam legal. It's not like that will stop any of the people in the world who wants to hold Russia accountable for its destruction (regardless of how it happened), and I don't see how telling "we can't be blamed for not doing our jobs" to their domestic audience helps them in any way either.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Why are they even bothering with laws anymore?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
You need a veneer for domestic stability

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
OMOH need something to ignore.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

cr0y posted:

Why are they even bothering with laws anymore?

because fascists love pointless bureaucracy

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Just something I wanted to throw out there, before the US releases whatever Intel they said they're going to declassify:

One of the first thoughts I had last night, as the first reports came out, was that the dam might've been blown during a Ukrainian attempt to capture the left-bank side of the HPP.

I don't think any corroborating evidence for that has come out so far. There probably would have been, by now.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
https://twitter.com/michaeldweiss/status/1666197378645327872

If this isn't just hearsay and rumours, but actually based on observed fact and public statements, that's pretty rad. Five to ten kilometers of push in a couple of days through defenses that have been prepared and fortified for up to half a year seems like a pretty big deal.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Handsome Ralph posted:

Didn't see this posted but apparently a European intelligence agency discovered a plot by Ukraine to blow up the Nordstream prior to it actually blowing up last fall and passed it on to the CIA.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2023/06/06/nord-stream-pipeline-explosion-ukraine-russia/

Kesper North posted:

Weird how this story, based on Discord leaks which were believed to have been edited, came out the day after Russia does something extremely mediapathic in Ukraine

A.o.D. posted:

The article states that the report is very detailed but the details are "trust us bro" and that we are supposed to believe that only six people conducted this underwater demolition activity. I suppose it's possible but I'll need more than the allegations. As a point of comparison, see what was known about the 911 hijackers after this much time.

Hell, they can't even name which European Intel service in the article. This is all one huge trust me bro.

Also lol

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jun 6, 2023

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Wasabi the J posted:

Source: texeira discord chats and trust us bro.

Also lol

The article also says the plan was shelved but then goes on to assume the Ukrainians did it anyway. Kinda suspect journalism.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
for all the 'lol russia is a failed state' stuff they really aren't and they do have a relatively robust legal system (albeit certain things and people very, very much find a way to end up sheltered from its reach) and a wide range of both de facto and de jure civil and human rights enshrined in law and constitution that the government is obligated to protect and respect. yes that is somewhat optimistic relative to practical realities, but it's not completely printed on toilet paper either. blowing the dam or otherwise letting the circumstances accumulate for it to fail (at a time that conveniently happens to inundate a Ukrainian offensive's likely crossing spots) isn't going to be a legal action in almost any government that has a legal duty to protect citizens down river. This doubly became an issue in light of the annexation because de jure all the people impacted on the left bank (and lol arguably many on the right, too, if we're taking the annexation strictly at face value) are citizens and inhabitants of Russia to whom the Russian government is obligated to protect.

basically it reads to me as legal cover to 'do it if you have to do it.' I'm inclined to agree that they extremely would prefer not to have had to blow the dam for obvious reasons relating to their own defenses and Crimea's water supply, but also if it was required to blow it (or neglect it to the point of failure w/e) in order to stop a Ukrainian offensive, I can believe they would do it. besides, if Ukraine recaptures the left bank, it's not like Crimea is getting water again anyways.

anyways I'm just some rear end in a top hat with an opinion from following russian foreign policy for a bit over a decade, i.e. a dilettante. i really look forward to more information coming out and actual experts weighing in eventually because the whole thing is loving wild

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jun 6, 2023

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

Herstory Begins Now posted:

for all the 'lol russia is a failed state' stuff they really aren't and they do have a relatively robust legal system (albeit certain things and people very, very much find a way to end up sheltered from its reach) and a wide range of both de facto and de jure civil and human rights enshrined in law and constitution that the government is obligated to protect and respect.
lol, until you criticize Putin, or maybe act a little gay, or wear blue and yellow and get 30 years in prison for treason/a face full of polonium

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
^ russia sucks an unbelievable amount of rear end on virtually every conceivable level and yes they have tiers of people that are untouchable to their legal system and extremely touchable to their legal system (and other non-legal coercive systems), but they very much still have a legal system and legal framework that they ostensibly draw legitimacy from and are required to at least pretend to be upholding. occasionally it even has teeth and will defend relatively sympathetic groups of Russians.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jun 6, 2023

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

^ russia sucks an unbelievable amount of rear end on virtually every conceivable level and yes they have tiers of people that are untouchable to their legal system and extremely touchable to their legal system (and other non-legal coercive systems), but they very much still have a legal system and legal framework that they ostensibly draw legitimacy from and are required to at least pretend to be upholding

until you criticize it, then you get locked away and tortured

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Sorry people, Russia said it blew up 250 enemy armored vehicles today and achieved a KDR of over 52:1.

At this rate those 9 brigades stop existing in 3 days or something in exchange for one or two companies.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Bum the Sad posted:

until you criticize it, then you get locked away and tortured

yes? i invite you to go through my post history and try to find a single post of me uncritically supporting russia. I guarantee you that you will not find a single one. You will find me arguing poo poo like 'russia actually has been tactically adapting this entire time' and other critiques of the weird messaging wrt russia that is pretty much ubiquitous in english language spaces, but you will find literally nothing ambiguous about which side I consider unequivocally in the wrong.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jun 6, 2023

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

mlmp08 posted:

Sorry people, Russia said it blew up 250 enemy armored vehicles today and achieved a KDR of over 52:1.

At this rate those 9 brigades stop existing in 3 days or something in exchange for one or two companies.

the bear has awoken.......

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

yes? i invite you to go through my post history and try to find a single post of me uncritically supporting russia. I guarantee you that you will not find a single one. You will find me arguing poo poo like 'russia actually has been tactically adapting this entire time' and other critiques of the weird messaging wrt russia that is pretty much ubiquitous in english language spaces, but you will find literally nothing ambiguous about which side I consider unequivocally in the wrong.

My dude you're the one posting fan fiction about russia having a wide range of both de facto and de jure civil and human rights enshrined in law and constitution that the government is obligated to protect and respect which falls apart because

Bum the Sad posted:

lol, until you criticize Putin, or maybe act a little gay, or wear blue and yellow and get 30 years in prison for treason/a face full of polonium

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I think the point being made was that while Russian domestic law is largely kayfabe, kayfabe itself has rules and forms that must be respected

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

shame on an IGA posted:

I think the point being made was that while Russian domestic law is largely kayfabe, kayfabe itself has rules and forms that must be respected

I don't think that "having a wide range of both de facto and de jure civil and human rights enshrined in law and constitution that the government is obligated to protect and respect" can be described as kayfabe.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

shame on an IGA posted:

This is it. Law is surprisingly important inside Russia, and you can usually defend yourself by very strictly adhering to the letter of the law. See the bunch of cops who refused to take part in the invasion because the paperwork was wrong (they had orders that required them to enter Ukraine, but by Russian law you are always supposed to have a passport with you when you cross the border of the federation, and they didn't have any passports, and therefore argued that they could not legally follow the order). You'd expect that people who refuse order to go to the front would be made examples of, but instead the court ruled in favor of them.

If you attract the attention of the all-highest, all of that is moot, of course. But other than that, Russia has poo poo laws, but laws still matter.

This was true of the Soviet Union too. The common image of the Soviet commissar is some rear end in a top hat who is executing disobeying soldiers with a pistol in the field without any kind of process. While this did occasionally happen, it's mostly nazi propaganda. The nazis absolutely did that, and they projected that to the Soviets too. But almost every soldier executed in Soviet service was shot after a trial. The trial would of course be a show trial, but the fact that there was a trial mattered deeply to the people holding the trials, even if the difference might seem academic to us.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
A perfect example of Russian jurisprudence calvinball: Conscripts cannot be deployed outside of Russia, so in order to get around that Russia annexes regions they don't fully control, and in one case they don't even control the capital of. The law still remains, but the practice has rendered the right meaningless, as conscripts can now be deployed to invade a sovereign nation.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

shame on an IGA posted:

Yeah it's this more or less, though it isn't entirely kayfabe either insofar as some of it is quite earnest (though I'm definitely not about to argue that Russia's legal system is especially effective from really anyone's perspective). Russia has been changing their laws throughout the course of the war because russian courts had a pesky habit of actually siding with people refusing unlawful orders (when they cared to object) or refusing to deploy. It doesn't get remarked upon much, but the tightening of laws since the start of this round of the war has been almost certainly the single biggest constriction of both real and on-paper freedoms in post-soviet Russia.

Tuna-Fish posted:

This is it. Law is surprisingly important inside Russia, and you can usually defend yourself by very strictly adhering to the letter of the law. See the bunch of cops who refused to take part in the invasion because the paperwork was wrong (they had orders that required them to enter Ukraine, but by Russian law you are always supposed to have a passport with you when you cross the border of the federation, and they didn't have any passports, and therefore argued that they could not legally follow the order). You'd expect that people who refuse order to go to the front would be made examples of, but instead the court ruled in favor of them.

If you attract the attention of the all-highest, all of that is moot, of course. But other than that, Russia has poo poo laws, but laws still matter.

yeah pretty much. russian bureaucratic and legal systems being slavishly devoted to doing things by the letter of the law (or in reality, much more often, using the letter of the law to get out of doing something) has a very long history.

CainFortea posted:

My dude you're the one posting fan fiction about russia having a wide range of both de facto and de jure civil and human rights enshrined in law and constitution that the government is obligated to protect and respect which falls apart because

Those things formally existing (and some of them even practically existing) in zero way whatsoever means that they are applied universally or even anywhere near consistently or justly, that would be insane to suggest and I've repeatedly emphasized that they're "they have tiers of people that are untouchable to their legal system and extremely touchable to their legal system (and other non-legal coercive systems)." The Russian power structure still very much self-conceptualizes as upholding order and civilization (particularly against decadent, degenerate foreign influences etc.), regardless of how patently absurd that looks from a foreign perspective.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jun 7, 2023

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Yeah it's this more or less, though it isn't entirely kayfabe either. Russia has been changing their laws throughout the course of the war because russian courts had a pesky habit of actually siding with people refusing unlawful orders or refusing to deploy. Frankly the tightening of laws since the start of this round of the war has been almost certainly the single biggest constriction of freedoms in post soviet Russia.

Some quick skimming suggests there's an ongoing fights around conscientious objectors - the Russian constitution guarantees a right to Alternate Civil Service, but the relevant laws around mobilizations do not really allow for them in the wording. There's some court cases about it winding through the system, and on paper they have good cases, the text of the constitution seems straightforward ... but that doesn't mean the recruitment offices will listen to you trying to claim that right.

e: Also, I bet having decent rights on paper is a useful way to do sporadic show trials against local politicians and CEOs you want to get rid of anyway while scoring some "look, we care about the people" points. That may be more of a China things, though.

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jun 7, 2023

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Yeah, I don't disagree with either of those takes. Honestly just dropped the article in because it was the first time I'd heard of that theory. Not buying that story though till something more solid than "trust us bro" drops.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Tuna-Fish posted:

The trial would of course be a show trial, but the fact that there was a trial mattered deeply to the people holding the trials, even if the difference might seem academic to us.

im not a failed state! im not a failed state! i yell as my jurisprudence increasingly resembles the plot of Гараж

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021

A.o.D. posted:

A perfect example of Russian jurisprudence calvinball: Conscripts cannot be deployed outside of Russia, so in order to get around that Russia annexes regions they don't fully control, and in one case they don't even control the capital of. The law still remains, but the practice has rendered the right meaningless, as conscripts can now be deployed to invade a sovereign nation.

While I do not doubt that there are or have been conscripts in the occupied/annexed regions, has there been any reliable reporting on numbers there? Anecdottaly, I have seen a lot of videos of Russians being captured and I do not recall seeing many of them being of conscript age. It is also possible the Russian command have not thrown the lot of them to the front line and instead they are more regulated for rear echelon duties.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

shame on an IGA posted:

Baw God that’s Beria’s music!

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Rule of law lasts as long as the 9mm makarov remains out of your detestable skull.

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts
They mostly use the Grach these days, actually

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

this was one of the single largest reservoirs in ukraine that has both major strategic and geopolitical significance, it's not like some podunk dam built in 1910 failing that no one has inspected in several years. I don't think it's impossible that they pushed it to a failure point (albeit there's no evidence that is actually what caused the failure), but it failing completely with no warning would require an unprecedented level of neglect and incompetence. Yes they'd been raising the water level as high as possible since ~march, but there's another major reason why they might've wanted to maximize the amount of water in the reservoir.

here's the dam relative to ukraine as a whole, that entire body of water above it is what we are talking about, it's not some minor dam of little significance that you just neglect. nor has russia been neglecting it at any point, as it's been extremely militarily significant to them as a crossing at multiple points in the war. Hell, they already blew the roadway over it after the Kherson withdrawal.

in light of all that, mere incompetence is a pretty tough sell

There is a 99% chance that every dam(n) expert in Russia was sent to the front as infantry.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Jun 7, 2023

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

quote:

Ukrainian troops witnessed Russian soldiers being swept up in flood waters and fleeing the east bank of the Dnipro River after the collapse of the Nova Khakovka dam, an officer in Ukraine's armed forces said. Many Russian troops were killed or wounded in the chaos, according to the officer.

Capt. Andrei Pidlisnyi said when the dam collapsed in the early hours of Tuesday morning “no one on the Russian side was able to get away. All the regiments the Russians had on that side were flooded.”

Pidlisnyi told CNN he believed the Russians had deliberately attacked the dam to disrupt Ukrainian forces’ plans for an upcoming offensive.

“Around 3 a.m., the enemy blew up the Kakhovka Hydro Power Plant in order to raise the water level to flood the approaches and the left bank of the Dnipro River, as well as the settlements located there. And to make it impossible for the Ukrainian armed forces to advance in the future," he claimed.

Pidlisnyi explained that the lie of the land around the river meant that Russia’s military — located on the east bank — suffered serious impacts in the dam’s breach. His unit was able to watch the events unfold through the use of drones and troops on the scene.

“The left [east] bank is lower than the right bank, so it is more flooded. The enemy’s positions right on the riverbank were also flooded. You need to understand that the enemy's positions are not only trenches but also ordinary civilian houses where they lived," Pidlisnyi said.

The Russian units in harm’s way may not have been warned, possibly to maintain the element of surprise, Pidlisnyi said.

Pointing blame: Ukraine’s government has echoed Pidlisnyi’s contention that Russia deliberately blew up the dam, while the Kremlin has said it was Kyiv’s forces that carried out an attack.

In fact, evidence to conclusively support either side’s claim is yet to emerge, while analysis of videos of the dam, and its subsequent breach, and in particular examination of satellite imagery, suggest the collapse could have been the result of structural failure since the Russians occupied the dam in March last year.

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Dick Ripple posted:

While I do not doubt that there are or have been conscripts in the occupied/annexed regions, has there been any reliable reporting on numbers there? Anecdottaly, I have seen a lot of videos of Russians being captured and I do not recall seeing many of them being of conscript age. It is also possible the Russian command have not thrown the lot of them to the front line and instead they are more regulated for rear echelon duties.

You haven't seen guys 18-27 (older for prior military mobilized)? Or do you think there is somehow a glut of contract soldiers still alive and doing all the fighting? I wasn't even aware that mobiks dying in Ukraine was up for debate

lmao where do you think the guys mobilized in September 2022 went??

Victis fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jun 7, 2023

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

That's grim even by Russian standards. I'd rather catch a bullet and bleed out than drown, even more so if it was my own idiotic side that led to my drowning.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Victis posted:

You haven't seen guys 18-27 (older for prior military mobilized)? Or do you think there is somehow a glut of contract soldiers still alive and doing all the fighting? I wasn't even aware that mobiks dying in Ukraine was up for debate

lmao where do you think the guys mobilized in September 2022 went??

So there is a distinction between people drafted for their mandatory [1] service upon turning 18ish and people drafted for the war; the government trying to keep the first group uninvolved.

[1] for those who can't afford a bribe.

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

OddObserver posted:

So there is a distinction between people drafted for their mandatory [1] service upon turning 18ish and people drafted for the war; the government trying to keep the first group uninvolved.

[1] for those who can't afford a bribe.

The biannual fall draft would have been October 1, the mobilization September 21. I really doubt there was much of a distinction at the time

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

The "mobiks" are almost entirely veterans who were recalled to active duty and tossed directly into the jaws of the HIMARS. The semi-annual conscription is a highly regulated affair, and using those recruits on the frontlines would effectively require Putin to admit there's a war on. This is one of the sources of a major controversy surrounding the sinking of the Moskva: there were conscripts onboard, and many did die. And the Russian MoD tried bribing and coercing relatives into staying quiet about it.

e: FWIW, I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere yet that Russia is sending conscripts to the frontlines in any significant numbers. ISW occasionally reports on instances where this happens, but it appears to be relatively rare. Of course, a lot of them have reported being forced into signing up as contract soldiers when their term of service ends, so it's kind of the same effect in the end.

psydude fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jun 7, 2023

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

psydude posted:

The "mobiks" are almost entirely veterans who were recalled to active duty and tossed directly into the jaws of the HIMARS. The semi-annual conscription is a highly regulated affair, and using those recruits on the frontlines would effectively require Putin to admit there's a war on. This is one of the sources of a major controversy surrounding the sinking of the Moskva: there were conscripts onboard, and many did die. And the Russian MoD tried bribing and coercing relatives into staying quiet about it.

e: FWIW, I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere yet that Russia is sending conscripts to the frontlines in any significant numbers. ISW occasionally reports on instances where this happens, but it appears to be relatively rare. Of course, a lot of them have reported being forced into signing up as contract soldiers when their term of service ends, so it's kind of the same effect in the end.

The right exists on paper, but as an actual respected protection it's pretty tenuous and will only get weaker as this war progresses.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

psydude posted:

"Veteran" is pulling a lot of weight for a "guy who painted grass and spent fridays drinking antifreeze for a year in between slave labor on general's dacha" 10-15 years ago. Compared to a generic Ukrainian mobilized who very likely served in the ATO (Donbass conflict zone) where hundreds of thousands had a rotation during their mandatory draft conscription for 8 years.

fatherboxx fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jun 7, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

fatherboxx posted:

"Veteran" is pulling a lot of weight for a "guy who painted grass and spent fridays drinking antifreeze for a year in between slave labor on general's dacha" 10-15 years ago. Compared to a generic Ukrainian mobilized who very likely served in the ATO (Donbass conflict zone) where hundreds of thousands had a rotation during their mandatory draft conscription for 8 years.

I think we all know plenty of similar folks in the US who show up at Texas Roadhouse every November 11th demanding their free chicken critters.