Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 41 hours!

Kin33 posted:

Or, maybe people just don't care about that poo poo and play games for different reasons than you. Go zoom zoom and make boom boom. Reading is for nerds.

reading and following a guide isntnead of looking at the 4-5 highlighted words on my skills and equipping gear with those words on: less reading somehow. absolutely zero brain lol

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Paul Zuvella posted:

I am trying to avoid poo poo while doing my initial campaign with my first character, but I cannot help but feel I am playing this game very wrong.

I am level 42 and am in act 2, I have not unlocked mounts yet and see dudes half my level riding them around. Am I just doing way too much side stuff or something?

I rolled a new character and I've beelined the story except for a few aspect dungeons, every event in my path, and a handful of side quests that were on my way and I started act IV and got my mount at 32. I was still way over shooting the level "suggestions" you get for acts II and III in the early game by five or more levels so idk what those are even based on.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Stux posted:

huh, all mine have as long as they had +2 as the base and not +1. will have to experiment see where exactly thhe breakpoint is so i dont waste resources lol

Nevermind the gloves I had and were looking at were only at 3, not 4 lol. I think you're correct but I'm curious about if the breakpoints do upgrade all the other mod tiers, I read 725 is one so I'll have to test with something around 700

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem

Arsonide posted:

Blizzard: "The world thinks our company is full of chauvinistic assholes, what can we do?"

Also Blizzard: https://twitter.com/Diablo/status/1666166527953977345

when can i buy her dress as a transmog

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
So today I remembered that the Awful iOS app has a bug where YouTube videos are embedded even if they are behind spoiler tags.

Specifically when I scrolled through the last page.

Granted, I did not get a good look at the preview or title (I am not looking again), thankfully, but I figure that is some good info to pass along.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Just two more regions left to fill out renown on. The extra paragon points (+4 for each region) are so nice.

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

Astryl posted:

how long til girl Marius fucks everything up for us?

If I was a betting man (I'm not), she's either gone to Skovos to grab something important from the Amazons (because we need those transmog microtransactions for a big titty/thigh class), or she's gone to the Dreadlands / Arreat Crater to find the essence of Baal and some new soulstones, and unlock some Demon Hunters (because we need those transmog microtransactions for a dominatrix/foot fetish class).

comedy option: back to heaven to really piss off Imperius

Kin33
Jul 3, 2007

Where is your god now?

Stux posted:

reading and following a guide isntnead of looking at the 4-5 highlighted words on my skills and equipping gear with those words on: less reading somehow. absolutely zero brain lol

Imagine caring about how someone plays their video games lol. I guess when they are your entire life that is what you need to resort too.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

I have created a monster.
My sorc is now a perma-conduit.

This makes Teleport into a dangerous tool.
Slot Teleport into your enchantment to get:

With boots that give 2 charges, that is a total of 4 teleports (including the one on your skillbar).

Then you combo it with Static Bolts and

and

This makes your static bolts a room-cleaner. Honestly this build doesn't even NEED the two items above - but it makes them far more consistent.
I played with the wrong staff for a few dungeons and only realized when I saw my bolts killing 1 thing at a time, instead of entire rooms.

- but - when everything is stacked up, thanks to your Vacuum Teleport - it doesn't matter. 1 cast into 1 enemy explodes so hard it wipes out regular mobs and 3-shots elites.
Bosses, you turn on your Ult and they die in about 8 seconds.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Should I try and save strongholds and last 3 renown levels for wt4 and just do dungeons, tree stuff and helltides in wt3?

Passive Aggreeable
May 23, 2009

"Either way, it's going to hurt like crazy."
anything interesting in the entirety of the d4 bestiary?

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

I said come in! posted:

Just two more regions left to fill out renown on. The extra paragon points (+4 for each region) are so nice.

Sadly I think only one of the 5 regions (Dry Steppes) has 4 paragon points in it. I got 4 while doing it, got stoked, and then never saw another one.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 41 hours!

Kin33 posted:

Imagine caring about how someone plays their video games lol. I guess when they are your entire life that is what you need to resort too.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Passive Aggreeable posted:

anything interesting in the entirety of the d4 bestiary?

Not a single interesting enemy.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

CaptainAssholay posted:

Apparently I've overestimated this games minimum specs, 660? Jesus christ.
Blizzard has always been good about getting games running on older hardware. Too good this time, in fact, as certain NVME SSDs were too fast to run D4 until a recent patch.

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

"15,000 hours of Diablo II isn't that much, dweeb."

KajiTheMelonMan posted:

If I was a betting man (I'm not), she's either gone to Skovos to grab something important from the Amazons (because we need those transmog microtransactions for a big titty/thigh class), or she's gone to the Dreadlands / Arreat Crater to find the essence of Baal and some new soulstones, and unlock some Demon Hunters (because we need those transmog microtransactions for a dominatrix/foot fetish class).

comedy option: back to heaven to really piss off Imperius

Or Lut Gholein or Kurast for Paladin

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

Mark me down as another "I'm not buying this, I have zero faith in Blizzard" until friends that I trusted vouched for it. I am loving shocked.

I am somewhat sad that fire sorc sucks so bad though. I'm tentatively hoping it's viable later with the proper gear, but it's awful just soloing and doing stuff. Lightning just straight up eats its lunch it feels like. Fire was always my favorite in D2, so hopefully they bring it back to glory.

Also utterly shocked at maybe the smoothest modern Blizzard launch ever. I've had a couple games where things lagged out and wouldn't let me change zones, but 90% of the time it works perfectly fine. Did they put all of their competent people on this or what?

Also no matter what failures Blizzard has nowadays, they're still the best in the industry when it comes to art and animation. As someone who's done (poor) hobbyist game developing and animation, they're doing trickery in this I don't even know how it's done. One of the most challenging things in game animation is one character handing something off to another, and they're doing that poo poo seamlessly in this.

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

alcaras posted:

Is this accurate?

my current understanding on optimum-ish play:
- finish campaign asap, since you can't get to world tier 3 without finishing it
- you also get your mount in act 4, which speeds up moving around the world
- once you're done with the campaign, prioritize getting renown 3 in all zones (for the extra skill points)
- you'll probably want to tackle the capstone dungeon around L45-50 and unlock wt3
- then focus on renown 5 in all zones (for the extra paragon points) -- prioritize waypoints, altars, and strongholds -- pick up sidequests and do them too, but you can only have 20 at a time (try to only do dungeons if there's a sidequest for it, or a tree of whispers reward, or a nightmare sigil for it)
- helltide events are a great way to gear up, but only up every other hour
- you can dabble in nightmare dungeons as well, but prioritize renown 5 first
- you'll probably want to tackle the capstone dungeon around L60-65 and unlock wt4
- then do nightmare dungeons that are 3 levels above you (for 25% xp bonus) -- try to run Nightmare Dungeon Level (YourLevel - 51) [e.g. NM19 at L70] and keep doing helltide etc.

As someone whos been farming WT4 for the past few days I don't think its a worthwhile use of time to focus on the renown until much later. I am level 76 and I have like 4 Lilith Statues. Farming gear and exp is going to give you much more power than riding around in the world. Helltide is important but not because it gives a lot of gear - its actually pretty bad for getting gear compared to just farming elite packs in dungeons. Helltide is important because you can get Forgotten Souls which are used for improving your items. I didn't start doing Nightmare dungeons until 75 since thats when I noticed the world stopped being higher level than my character so the only way to fight higher level monsters for the exp bonus is the Nightmare dungeons. I don't think the Tree of Whispers is worth doing right now either, it doesn't give much exp or loot for the time spent. I think the best way to farm gear/exp right now is the D2 method - go into a dungeon and kills lots of elite packs. Anica's Claim is pretty good since it has a bunch of elite packs in a big circle at the beginning. When you kill them all just leave the dungeon and return to character screen to reset the dungeon to respawn all the elite packs.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

coelomate posted:

Sadly I think only one of the 5 regions (Dry Steppes) has 4 paragon points in it. I got 4 while doing it, got stoked, and then never saw another one.

Each region offers the same renown rewards

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Astryl posted:

Or Lut Gholein or Kurast for Paladin
Both of the parts of the map that could connect to Kurast have busted bridges, it's definitely going in one of the planned expansions

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

soscannonballs posted:

As someone whos been farming WT4 for the past few days I don't think its a worthwhile use of time to focus on the renown until much later. I am level 76 and I have like 4 Lilith Statues. Farming gear and exp is going to give you much more power than riding around in the world. Helltide is important but not because it gives a lot of gear - its actually pretty bad for getting gear compared to just farming elite packs in dungeons. Helltide is important because you can get Forgotten Souls which are used for improving your items. I didn't start doing Nightmare dungeons until 75 since thats when I noticed the world stopped being higher level than my character so the only way to fight higher level monsters for the exp bonus is the Nightmare dungeons. I don't think the Tree of Whispers is worth doing right now either, it doesn't give much exp or loot for the time spent. I think the best way to farm gear/exp right now is the D2 method - go into a dungeon and kills lots of elite packs. Anica's Claim is pretty good since it has a bunch of elite packs in a big circle at the beginning. When you kill them all just leave the dungeon and return to character screen to reset the dungeon to respawn all the elite packs.

lilith statues and even just a few paragon points will give you a big boost in power which can mean the difference between clearing the capstone dungeon or getting your rear end handed to you. if you've finished the campaign and hit level 50, getting all the statues and picking up a few paragon points along the way is a very good use of your time and will help your character with the transition to WT3.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

FFT posted:

Both of the parts of the map that could connect to Kurast have busted bridges, it's definitely going in one of the planned expansions

:pray:

all I want is my D2 Pallybro back. actually if they could bring back D2 Mercs. I'd like that too Blizz

I genuinely haven't been excited for a Blizzard game in over a decade this is wild. well done assholes ya got me

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Unfortunately I don't expect D4 to get companions. Wouldn't fit well with the always online/ephemeral multiplayer aspect of the game. Same as how you'd lose your follower in D3 if you were in a party but all the time.

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

"15,000 hours of Diablo II isn't that much, dweeb."

FFT posted:

I noticed these two bridges and almost immediately thought the same thing.

Astryl fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jun 7, 2023

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Floor is lava posted:

i love the one dungeon that has a healing cauldron that you have to use to trigger the mob but if you're at full health you can't use it so they just straight up place a spike trap right under that clips through it

i can imagine some dev going "eh good enough ship it"

I kinda like it, it feels like I'm making a blood sacrifice.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

FFT posted:

Unfortunately I don't expect D4 to get companions. Wouldn't fit well with the always online/ephemeral multiplayer aspect of the game. Same as how you'd lose your follower in D3 if you were in a party but all the time.

I hated those mfs

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT

soscannonballs posted:

Firewall sorc is definitely viable but leveling with it was a slog until I got gear and skill points synced up. I’ve been doing things mostly on my own but occasionally I will refer to the maxroll guides for reference.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Can you share side quests with party members?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

the maxroll barb guides recommend levelling with lunging strike because of the movement but lunging strike loving sucks so I use frenzy. Builds really aren’t that complicated, so most guides are gonna tell you the same thing, a thing people are gonna figure out themselves when they get how the game wants you to build characters. All that to say, it’s fine to use guides but don’t follw them slavishly if theres one mechanic or skill you don’t like or another you’d rather use.

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

The Ol Spicy Keychain posted:

lilith statues and even just a few paragon points will give you a big boost in power which can mean the difference between clearing the capstone dungeon or getting your rear end handed to you. if you've finished the campaign and hit level 50, getting all the statues and picking up a few paragon points along the way is a very good use of your time and will help your character with the transition to WT3.

You can get paragon points and better gear from farming monsters instead of riding around. I moved into T3 at like level 42 or something and T4 at 65 or 66.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

KingKapalone posted:

Can you share side quests with party members?
Everything syncs to the party leader. So if you start and finish a quest with party members that had access to that quest, they'll get full credit for it.

This most notably does not work if, say, they haven't completed a prerequusite quest. They won't get credit for finishing the final quest in the Kyovashad exorcism quest line if they haven't done the ones that lead to it.

stringless fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jun 7, 2023

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

Astryl posted:

I noticed these two bridges and almost immediately thought the same thing.

I mean, if we need a reason to go searching in the jungle, finding Akarat is a good start!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Okay playing in a group is a lot better when you're past 50 and just crafting nightmare sigils and doing those or running off to do a Helltide instead of trying to sync up and do the same side quests. Had a blast with the crew tonight doing just that.

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

zoux posted:

I hated those mfs
Agree. glad I don't have some nerd to constantly gear out and revive for 1% dps return or as some stupid passive buff bot in the case of D2. Useless fiddly poo poo

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

God drat switching to chain lightning after using incinerate/etc for so long is like turning the world tier down

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
Help me endgame Sorcerer goons, I honestly can't tell if I like Firewall or Ice Shards better.

Firewall is more consistent, and there's something funny about running around while enemy packs burn to death. However I can see the higher heights Ice Shards can hit, even if my lack of CDR/mana cost means I run out of mana in important fights more, hitting frost nova and instantly deleting dudes is very good too.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

BabelFish posted:

Help me endgame Sorcerer goons, I honestly can't tell if I like Firewall or Ice Shards better.

Firewall is more consistent, and there's something funny about running around while enemy packs burn to death. However I can see the higher heights Ice Shards can hit, even if my lack of CDR/mana cost means I run out of mana in important fights more, hitting frost nova and instantly deleting dudes is very good too.

U kinda need mana cost reduction on your gear to effectively play Ice Shards. I wouldn't make the switch until i had the stats/gear for it

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
does straight + physical damage% benefit ranged rogues? Because it doesn't seem to change the dps numbers on the in game stats.

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

Firewall sucks so bad for single target it's not even a contest for me. You can get to the point of taking your generator off your bar with ice shards which is probably enough said

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr
Definitely Ice Shards, but only when you're comfortable with gear (i.e. you can manage your mana and not find yourself empty and surrounded)