Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

This is a really easy way to get the store (and others) installed

https://github.com/moraroy/NonSteamLaunchers-On-Steam-Deck

quote="CuddleCryptid" post="532337266"]
Lame. What, two bros can't share one monitor?
[/quote]

First world problems but it sucks because my wife and I both have decks/pc's but we also have an Xbox series x. Because coop isn't on pc, I might have to buy it on Xbox.

Or I just buy it on pc twice, and then just wait for it to hopefully get on gamepass.

Harminoff fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jun 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
Woot! My brother is giving me his steamdeck! Is there a good guide for dual booting windows and steamOS?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

lostleaf posted:

Woot! My brother is giving me his steamdeck! Is there a good guide for dual booting windows and steamOS?

Oh yeah it super easy!

Step 1: don’t bother.

Honestly it’s easy to setup but a pain in the rear end overall.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

MarcusSA posted:

Oh yeah it super easy!

Step 1: don’t bother.

Honestly it’s easy to setup but a pain in the rear end overall.

Agreed

23 Skidoo
Dec 21, 2006
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kaqYXSBreA

Saw that video's luck with Diablo IV on mostly high settings getting locked 40, so I tried it and blam. It's so good.
May go back down to medium if I notice slowdown in towns etc.
Downloaded the HD textures, but I don't really notice much of a difference if any, probably because of the whole 800p thing.
Not being able to track playtime due to it being a non-Steam game is sort've annoying.
Metadeck doesn't seem to want to track it, either.
I just want to see how much I didn't play it when some other game inevitably catches my eye.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Same. I bought an sd and windows 11 license a few months ago. I didn't even use it enough to activate windows.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

https://github.com/flegald/GZDeck

Seems like a much easier way of getting GZDoom (good doom source port) to work on Deck than how I did things last year.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Seems like a much easier way of getting GZDoom (good doom source port) to work on Deck than how I did things last year.
Luxtorpeda gives you the option of running GZDoom with Doom Runner or QZDL. It's easy to install with ProtonUp-Qt too.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Quantum of Phallus posted:

https://github.com/flegald/GZDeck

Thank you for this.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Only reason(s) to dual boot are uh… Destiny 2? And Game Pass games you want installed instead of streaming via xCloud. I have a nice dual boot setup but honestly outside of destiny I rarely use it.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
Most of my games are on gamepass. My experience with cloud streaming wasn't the best. Great on RPGs or strategy games, downright unusable on any action games. I already prepaid for 3 years of it, so I might as well get as much use out of it as I can. No one really has a good guide? This is the one I found off reddit.

https://baldsealion.com/

Any other recommendations?

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
I mean you can just download windows 11, connect your usb stick, go through the prompts and choose bootable usb. I'd recommend having a keyboard and mouse handy.

I didn't do any of that stuff that page says, and it loaded fine and COD played ok.

Just know that running windows you lose out on a few things. Big one is being able to just put it to sleep mid game and resume on wake.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

lostleaf posted:

Most of my games are on gamepass. My experience with cloud streaming wasn't the best. Great on RPGs or strategy games, downright unusable on any action games. I already prepaid for 3 years of it, so I might as well get as much use out of it as I can. No one really has a good guide? This is the one I found off reddit.

Its very easy to make a bootable windows SD card, you just download Rufus and its one click for it to download the iso and extract it to the card. Then make sure you copy the drivers from Valve's website to the card because you won't have wifi on the Deck to download them until the drivers are installed.

Whether you should do it or not, no probably not. You're better off streaming them from your desktop (which is going to work a lot better than cloud streaming, gently caress cloud streaming). The Windows experience on these things is bad especially compared to SteamOS, and you're never going to feel like rebooting to switch from one to the other. Definitely do not partition the ssd to dual boot because you will regret giving up that much space.

homeless snail fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jun 7, 2023

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

lostleaf posted:

Didn't go through the whole thing but that generally looks about right and a lot more compiled than the scattered number of reddit links and youtube videos I followed months ago. It seems to hit the main points. Deck Wizard was the main video I followed then I tweaked with some reddit posts that I can look up later if you still need more help. Not sure this is his latest but check his channel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYWNZGiBsUo

The main things imo are the time zone discrepancy (listed on the guide) and making sure you install rEFInd in such a way it survives system updates. I haven't messed with anything dual boot for months and have kept everything updated with zero issues. I installed a 1TB ssd so I have that split 50/50 between Steam and Windows and it's great in a "good to have but definitely not needed". I also replaced the joysticks (including soldering) and the Deck, to me, is a big tinkering toy that I love messing with. I bricked it like 3 times during the first few months just from tweaking poo poo. It's very much part of the appeal if why I got it.

Also one final note: if you're going to do ANYTHING of this nature with the deck, buy a USB hub and have a mouse/keyboard ready because doing this poo poo with the virtual on-screen keyboard is misery.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jun 7, 2023

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Is there a thread for those mini PCs? I've been kinda thinking about getting one to compliment my Steam Deck. I know something along the lines of PS5 is out of the question. I wanna know if there's something that can basically play the mid-weight games that Steam Deck does well, but at a comfy 60/1080p. A couple notches above the Deck, more or less.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

Is there a thread for those mini PCs? I've been kinda thinking about getting one to compliment my Steam Deck. I know something along the lines of PS5 is out of the question. I wanna know if there's something that can basically play the mid-weight games that Steam Deck does well, but at a comfy 60/1080p. A couple notches above the Deck, more or less.

Your best bet is to check out this dudes channel.

https://youtube.com/@ETAPRIME

He reviews a lot of them.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

Your best bet is to check out this dudes channel.

https://youtube.com/@ETAPRIME

He reviews a lot of them.

"ETAPrime tiny pc steamOS" will get you all the steamOS compatible SFF PCs he's reviewed as well as a few build recommendations if that's what you're up for.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

If you're comfortable building a PC you might be better off with a small form factor build, there's been a few good console like cases released recently and AMD GPUs (the only real option if you're running SteamOS since Nvidia's Linux drivers are terrible) are relatively cheap. In the anniversary interview Valve did with The Verge they also commented on potentially putting out a Steam Box that would probably be a mini PC type thing.

For good gaming mini PCs basically anything with the AMD Ryzen 7940 is the new hotness, and there are a few that have laptop GPUs inside them as well. If you buy one as well get the "barebones" model and buy the RAM and storage yourself because its one of the areas the companies will gouge you for what are now extremely cheap parts.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Detective No. 27 posted:

I have seen someone set up an expensive Intel NUC for their kid to game on. At a 60/1080 target, you could build a PC the size of a shoebox without too much trouble or cost.

Not absolutely required if you have like a mini PC with a i7 and older taste, but you are better off with a GPU. It won't be doing Proton's shader magic. A gaming PC with a 3070 does not run most AAA 1-year-old games some recent High-Budget games with shader compilation issues as smoothly as a Steam Deck.

E: should have been more specific I guess.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jun 7, 2023

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Heran Bago posted:

A gaming PC with a 3070 does not run most AAA 1-year-old games as smoothly as a Steam Deck.

What?

The only advantage the steam deck has is with shader stutter, but beyond that you're going to be running at 30fps/720p with most things turned off.

Which is fine on a small screen but it'll look like rear end on 1080p or more compared to a 3070.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Yeah thats a bad take. My wifes 1060 can play AAA just fine at 1080x60+ on pc (We have like 100 hours on MW2 on it)

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Yeah that's crazy unless you're, uh, actually I don't even know how I could make that statement work.

A year-old PC with a 3070 is going to devour basically anything at maximum settings up to 4k, and it'll run the vast majority of AAA things at 60fps+ at 4k, too.

The pre-compiled shaders are a huge advantage for certain games in the sense that there are a handful of titles out there that are so problematic that they won't run smoothly on anything, but that's a much different issue.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

What kind of busted rear end unoptimised poo poo is being used as an example there because lol

It’s a cool toy but it’s not that cool

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
It's probably theoretically possible that there are some games out there that run at a more consistent FPS with everything turned down at 800p on the Steam Deck than with everything maxed out at 4k on a 3070. Maybe.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Heran Bago posted:

I have seen someone set up an expensive Intel NUC for their kid to game on.
Most Intel NUC models have Xe graphics which isn't nearly as capable as Arc. These units are mostly geared towards digital signage and other commercial applications. They're fine for 2D indie games and such but I wouldn't use them for anything moderately taxing.

Occasionally Intel does release an "enthusiast" NUC model, usually the ones with skulls on them. The most recent (I believe) is the Serpent Canyon (NUC12SNKi7) which includes an Arc A770M GPU. Micro Center sells this for $1250 without RAM/SSD which seems pricey to me. I personally wouldn't buy one, but I could see Intel pushing freebies or heavily subsidized units in various channels as part of their broader effort to push into the gaming market, and I would be curious to try one with Linux.

There's also the "extreme" NUC models which have a PCIe slot and can take 12" GPUs, but they're also expensive before you add the GPU and I'm not sure what the benefit is over just building a small form-factor PC.

Meanwhile there's a bunch of NUC-like machines build around AMD APUs. The last I checked these tended to use older APUs than what's in the Deck, but I'm sure that's changing rapidly. ETA Prime reviews a lot of these.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

i did it all for the NUCy

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I'm mostly talking about shader compilation stutter, and even then mostly in poorly optimized unreal engine games. You can't quite pay that problem away on PC, but it doesn't happen on consoles or Steam Deck.

I have examples but yeah that was bad phrasing on my part.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jun 7, 2023

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Anyone asking about D4 couch co-op, no you can't do it at all on PC and doing it on Console requires two accounts that own the game. The whole idea is preventing two people from playing off one account, because gently caress Blizzard.

Game good tho

Edit: I'd been told the second Battle.Net account for the console needed the game as well, but seems like that might be mistaken.

Atoramos fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jun 7, 2023

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Heran Bago posted:

I'm mostly talking about shader compilation stutter, and even then mostly in poorly optimized unreal engine games. You can't quite pay that problem away on PC, but it doesn't happen on consoles or Steam Deck.

I have examples but yeah that was bad phrasing on my part.

Yeah SteamOS' pre-compilation of shaders does a lot to sidestep the shader stutter issues a lot of PC (usually Unreal Engine) games have right now.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Atoramos posted:

doing it on Console requires two accounts that own the game.

lol that’s amazing and short sighted, what about people who buy physical copies? Even if you own it you still can’t go play with your buddy on games night because you don’t have a digital license attached to your account!

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
The ASRock Deskmeet X300/Deskmeet B660 might be a good basis for a small 1080/60 PC - they can take a dual-slot GPU 200mm long.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

History Comes Inside! posted:

lol that’s amazing and short sighted, what about people who buy physical copies? Even if you own it you still can’t go play with your buddy on games night because you don’t have a digital license attached to your account!

Is it even available as a disc? I assumed the physical copies just had a code to redeem.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

I don't have the game yet but from what I've seen on the console only the first player needs to buy the game, the couch partner just needs a free Battle.net account.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Atoramos posted:

Anyone asking about D4 couch co-op, no you can't do it at all on PC and doing it on Console requires two accounts that own the game. The whole idea is preventing two people from playing off one account, because gently caress Blizzard.

Game good tho

Well thanks for the heads up. Was about to buy it on xbox to couch coop with the wife.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
LOL you still can, this is from Blizzard:
https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/333678

quote:

Couch co-op is available on the console versions of Diablo IV, and the second player must log into their own Battle.net account to play. The second player's character data is saved to their Battle.net account, and in order to play those characters outside of couch co-op, they will need to purchase Diablo IV for that account.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

That seems fine?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

sounds fine to me, the haters will complain as always

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Yeah that makes a lot more sense than “and also player 2 needs to own their own copy of the game”

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I’m still not gonna buy it because I don’t wanna get sucked into the battle pass FOMO treadmill but hey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

What kind of busted rear end unoptimised poo poo is being used as an example there because lol

It's all too common common for multiplaform games. Elden Ring was pretty infamous for this, along with a few of Sony's recent PC ports.