Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

when the bottle sitch is very good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

GIOOT

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ox2sj68pfsv9hg7/Chapel%20w-%20music.mp4

slightly less infuriating with sound on

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

gently caress my province

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/widow-whose-husband-was-killed-by-a-speeding-opp-officer-told-misconduct-was-not-serious-1.6428367

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

fermun posted:

it refers to a bunch of medium-density housing that used to be built a lot but stopped being built when Reagan completely hosed the HUD budget in the 80s to like 15% of what it used to be. it was generally stuff that was a public-private partnership and penciled out for developers because of the funding they were getting to build it from HUD

i live in multiplex: medium hell yeah

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

since all the truks are here for the roofing job (there's F350s, F450s, a Ram 3500 HD with double back tires lol), I was talking to the project manager in his truk

just standing next to this thing is terrifying

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

actionjackson posted:

since all the truks are here for the roofing job (there's F350s, F450s, a Ram 3500 HD with double back tires lol), I was talking to the project manager in his truk

when are you buying yours

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
some Good (inasmuch as they can be good, because they are fundamentally bad) Truk today outside the shop

heavily loaded

The foreground one is a 1982 Toyota SR5 and legitimately kicks rear end, it's held together with cap nails and bondo and has a bernie sticker on the bumper

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
nobody in north america is going to get any substantive movement on housing problems that isn't heavily market based so all you're left with is market yimbyism. may as well hop on board the yimby train

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

fermun posted:

it refers to a bunch of medium-density housing that used to be built a lot but stopped being built when Reagan completely hosed the HUD budget in the 80s to like 15% of what it used to be. it was generally stuff that was a public-private partnership and penciled out for developers because of the funding they were getting to build it from HUD

Something I think about a lot is how I hear local people objecting to increased density as ruining the atmosphere of the neighborhood, but then every new build is a massive fuckoff SFH mansion the size of an average low-rise apartment building. I know I'm just paying for my landlord's mortgage, but it's sort of amazing to me that, by putting in a laneway house plus two separate basement apartments, they quadrupled the number of families that can live on a single plot of land. Our street has 30 houses on it, most of which don't have laneways or purpose-built basement units, so maybe 50-55 families, if I'm being generous, but the potential is there for 120, at minimum! If you wanted to get creative, two houses could become eight laneways in a cottage court plan, or even a low-rise with, what, 12 units? Our street could easily hold 300 families, six times the amount of people it currently has, and you're not even building above the treeline.

But no, that would be a bad thing, for some reason.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
It's just gonna get worse. Asociality is becoming far more common. It's not entirely unsurprising.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

You don't want to live close enough that the neighbours can hear you beating your wife. This is why you need big houses with bigger lawns.

I live in a duplex in the suburbs of Copenhagen. It's pretty good, but I definitely hear when the guy next door is pissed at his daughter not getting into the car to drive 1 kilometer. But also today I walked down to get groceries with my baby in a pram and basically everything is within bike distance. It's good.

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

BonHair posted:

You don't want to live close enough that the neighbours can hear you beating your wife.

incredible

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

By eleven o’clock the next day we were well upon our way to the old English capital. Holmes had been buried in the morning papers all the way down, but after we had passed the Hampshire border he threw them down and began to admire the scenery. It was an ideal spring day, a light blue sky, flecked with little fleecy white clouds drifting across from west to east. The sun was shining very brightly, and yet there was an exhilarating nip in the air, which set an edge to a man’s energy. All over the countryside, away to the rolling hills around Aldershot, the little red and grey roofs of the farm-steadings peeped out from amid the light green of the new foliage.

“Are they not fresh and beautiful?” I cried with all the enthusiasm of a man fresh from the fogs of Baker Street.

But Holmes shook his head gravely.

“Do you know, Watson,” said he, “that it is one of the curses of a mind with a turn like mine that I must look at everything with reference to my own special subject. You look at these scattered houses, and you are impressed by their beauty. I look at them, and the only thought which comes to me is a feeling of their isolation and of the impunity with which crime may be committed there.”

“Good heavens!” I cried. “Who would associate crime with these dear old homesteads?”

“They always fill me with a certain horror. It is my belief, Watson, founded upon my experience, that the lowest and vilest alleys in London do not present a more dreadful record of sin than does the smiling and beautiful countryside.”

“You horrify me!”

“But the reason is very obvious. The pressure of public opinion can do in the town what the law cannot accomplish. There is no lane so vile that the scream of a tortured child, or the thud of a drunkard’s blow, does not beget sympathy and indignation among the neighbours, and then the whole machinery of justice is ever so close that a word of complaint can set it going, and there is but a step between the crime and the dock. But look at these lonely houses, each in its own fields, filled for the most part with poor ignorant folk who know little of the law. Think of the deeds of hellish cruelty, the hidden wickedness which may go on, year in, year out, in such places, and none the wiser.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

dont actually read that, sorry for posting it

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
don't ask shirlock his opinion on the people of India

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Do ask him for a heroin hook-up

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

actionjackson posted:

i live in multiplex: medium hell yeah

when the duplex/triplex/fourplex is stacked :blush: :pervert:

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

ikanreed posted:

Do ask him for a heroin hook-up

thought it was cocaine

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/jewstein3000/status/1666313029137448960?t=ICUOPY4c4I3dRb0IG8BmUg&s=19
https://twitter.com/jewstein3000/status/1666313708891435008?t=dumF2tzrm40oFBl_tfYNOQ&s=19

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Good ol liberal "the problems are very bad but their causes are very good"

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Milo and POTUS posted:

It's like living in bobs burgers

it would be good if living like that was just a normal way for tons of americans to live and not just something we broadly associate with a tv show

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

this is a favorite type of reply where someone exposes their own inability to be able to conceptualize something beyond either things exactly the same as they are now or genocide. this is also the exact type of person who would implement the latter to protect the former.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

It's true. It's all true. I desire to genocide cars

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

It's called motocide you rube.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

actionjackson posted:

jesus thats a lot of money

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
all disabled people can drive of course.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

leftist heap posted:

all disabled people can drive of course.

they’d better be able to, because their lives are forfeit in that woman’s little thought experiment if they can’t

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Making up a person to argue with

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

cum jabbar posted:

jesus thats a lot of money

that's just the base price

check this out

also you end up paying about 20k in interest lol

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
wow how did i not know there was a fuckcars thread. you're all stuck with me now

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
Can't be worse than the other posters. Bars really low here.

Anyways I saw a SUV flipped on the freeway. I thought they fixed SUVs to not do that anymore.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
i'm gunna buy an electric car to stop climate change. what's the best one?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

quote:

Don’t Expect To Pay Less Than $1,000 Per Month For A Ford Ranger Raptor
If you do end up with a payment under $1,000, you’re going to pay more in interest. Either way, you’re going to pay
If that’s too much for you, there is a way to get a Ranger Raptor payment under $1,000 a month, but it’s going to hurt. As Cars Direct points out, you can go for a 72-month term. That’ll get you a payment of $972. But you’re going to be paying more than $13,000 in interest over those six years. That means you’ll be paying nearly $70,000 for a $56,000 pickup.
Ultimately, though, none of this may matter. Dealer markups on this thing are going to result in people paying much more than they should. The best thing you can do is either wait it out, or be smart financially and don’t stretch yourself thin just to be able to drive one of these things.

lol at how normalized and eager everyone is to drop four figures a month on a loving car

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Making up a person to argue with
More like an effigy made from straw. A ...straw man if you will.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

actionjackson posted:

that's just the base price

check this out

also you end up paying about 20k in interest lol

lmao that's what I bought my house for 10 years ago.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I don't see your little poo poo house moving on wheels now do I? I bet it can't even haul 20 2x4s.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

eXXon posted:

I don't see your little poo poo house moving on wheels now do I? I bet it can't even haul 20 2x4s.

It contains numerous 2x4s in fact.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Q: Hi, Karine. The United States, as you know, has far higher incidence of car fatalities, both of drivers and pedestrians and cyclists, than almost all — I think all other wealthy nations. And we’re about to enter the most dangerous time of the year for car accidents, the summer months. Has this administration done enough on that front? Or has maybe the — I don’t know, the automotive — the highway lobby sort of had its way, as it has had with many other administrations?

MS. JEAN-PIERRE: So, look — and you’re right, we face a crisis here in America when it comes to — when it comes to driving passengers — drivers, passengers, pedestrians, cyclists. Each year, more than 40,000 people have to — or die in these types of crashes. And so — and this is comparable to gun deaths, and it should not be this way.

So the Department of Transportation launched a National Roadway Safety Strategy in early of 2022 that — to tackle this type of crisis at every level. And so while it’s encouraging to see the deaths level has kind of — the death leveling off somewhat in the last two quarters, because we have seen that occur, it is no time to let up. And so we’re going to — DOT is going to continue to take major steps to keep people safe. And I think that’s important.

Again, they’ve put a plan together to try to tackle this incredibly unfortunate situation.

:jerkbag:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

mawarannahr posted:

Q: Hi, Karine. The United States, as you know, has far higher incidence of car fatalities, both of drivers and pedestrians and cyclists, than almost all — I think all other wealthy nations. And we’re about to enter the most dangerous time of the year for car accidents, the summer months. Has this administration done enough on that front? Or has maybe the — I don’t know, the automotive — the highway lobby sort of had its way, as it has had with many other administrations?

MS. JEAN-PIERRE: So, look — and you’re right, we face a crisis here in America when it comes to — when it comes to driving passengers — drivers, passengers, pedestrians, cyclists. Each year, more than 40,000 people have to — or die in these types of crashes. And so — and this is comparable to gun deaths, and it should not be this way.

So the Department of Transportation launched a National Roadway Safety Strategy in early of 2022 that — to tackle this type of crisis at every level. And so while it’s encouraging to see the deaths level has kind of — the death leveling off somewhat in the last two quarters, because we have seen that occur, it is no time to let up. And so we’re going to — DOT is going to continue to take major steps to keep people safe. And I think that’s important.

Again, they’ve put a plan together to try to tackle this incredibly unfortunate situation.

:jerkbag:

okay so you hate black women