Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I've waited this long, I can wait until full release. At this point, we should only be a few months out from full release, unless the whole schedule got delayed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Gyoru posted:

"Knives Out" update coming mid-April (release date TBD next week)
https://steamcommunity.com/games/1084600/announcements/detail/3684546740144699554
this one includes marriage too

Yes, that's what a life sim needs, a murder mystery update :(

Knives Out is actually a great social critique dressed up as a murder mystery and you should go watch it but it should have nothing at all to do with this game.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

The term “knives out” is much older than the film Knives Out.

I do agree it’s fantastic though.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I appreciate them theming the entire update around their love for Radiohead.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
FWIW there is a lot of content in Sandrock already. The main story feels about 90% finished and unless you're doing some fully optimized speedrun strats it's going to take you a full in game year to get through to the end of the existing content. It's not a terrible time to dive in, particularly with the new major update due to be out next month.

That said I'm probably at a point where I'm going to wait for the game to hit 1.0 and then start from a fresh save. I hope the studio keeps making games in this vein, the loop of taking on major projects for the town which actually visually and practically impact it once finished is ridiculously satisfying in a way Harvest Moon/Rune Factory/Stardew never quite hit.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

At this point I’m mainly waiting for news on the multiplayer because I’ve got at least one friend interested.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Panfilo posted:

I like early access games because I'm impulsive. But what sucks about them is that it is easy to blitz through the slow trickle of content and get bored quickly. On the flip side, this might wring out more interest in the game as you can come back to a previously incomplete game you've grown bored of, only to have a bunch of QoL improvements and content to explore later.

It's also weirder pacing since you go through early stuff without the later content and systems sprinkled back in.

I became number 1 builder and finished every story project the day of but I might've not been so overstocked and ahead of the curve if I had the other stuff to do at the start. Still, enjoying this as stuff comes out, will just make a fresh file on release for the real intended experience. Plus I'll plan my house and factory better next time.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Sydin posted:

That said I'm probably at a point where I'm going to wait for the game to hit 1.0 and then start from a fresh save. I hope the studio keeps making games in this vein, the loop of taking on major projects for the town which actually visually and practically impact it once finished is ridiculously satisfying in a way Harvest Moon/Rune Factory/Stardew never quite hit.

Same. I can wait for a complete game.

I’ve been playing Pioneers of Olive Town lately. They tried to steal a lot of the same beats from Portia, with the heavy emphasis on crafting machines and town projects, but they’re SO half baked and shallow.

I’m enjoying the game for what it is, but god it’s the most intense non-stop go go go farm life sim I’ve ever played. The further you get in the game, the more you need to do in a day. It’s very overwhelming. I kind of like it.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I've bounced off the story of seasons games and I'm not sure why, since for the most part they're pretty faithful remakes of old HM games that I remember quite enjoying. They're releasing a Wonderful Life remake this summer that I hope I can finally click with: I remember really liking that AWL's timeskips actually meant that your kid grew up and helped out around the farm and developed into their own character.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Sydin posted:

I've bounced off the story of seasons games and I'm not sure why, since for the most part they're pretty faithful remakes of old HM games that I remember quite enjoying. They're releasing a Wonderful Life remake this summer that I hope I can finally click with: I remember really liking that AWL's timeskips actually meant that your kid grew up and helped out around the farm and developed into their own character.

Yeah, same. I tried playing Mineral Town hoping for more Stardew Valley, but bounced off pretty quickly and ended up just going back to SV again. I can't really put my finger on what was missing, I guess overall it just felt a little sterile in terms of vibe and character.

Also speaking of other farm sims, I've been following Coral Island with some interest. It hews very closely to SV in terms of mechanics, but with enough of a unique spin on aesthetics and characters that I could see it hitting quite well once it's done.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, same. I tried playing Mineral Town hoping for more Stardew Valley, but bounced off pretty quickly and ended up just going back to SV again. I can't really put my finger on what was missing, I guess overall it just felt a little sterile in terms of vibe and character.

Also speaking of other farm sims, I've been following Coral Island with some interest. It hews very closely to SV in terms of mechanics, but with enough of a unique spin on aesthetics and characters that I could see it hitting quite well once it's done.

Coral Island crashed four times in four different places on multiple save files on the first day when I tried it earlier this month. Seems pretty unstable.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
Kynseed sounded promising, in that you could have children who grew up and eventually took over when you "retired" but I hear it is very rudimentary.

Is it too much to ask for a Rogue Legacy farm sim where I have a bloated family cemetery out back full of dweeby ancestors that didn't even know how to min/max their crops?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Panfilo posted:

Kynseed sounded promising, in that you could have children who grew up and eventually took over when you "retired" but I hear it is very rudimentary.

Is it too much to ask for a Rogue Legacy farm sim where I have a bloated family cemetery out back full of dweeby ancestors that didn't even know how to min/max their crops?

Kynseed is an absolute disappointment and the legacy system is completely useless, yeah. All it has going for it is the pretty aesthetics.

+1 though on eagerly awaiting the 1.0 release of Sandrock.

For actual GoodGames in the genre I've really been enjoying Dinkum still as properly building out the town is great fun.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Mar 28, 2023

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010
So I've played a bunch of Portia on switch and while it was fine it was... Portia on switch.

I've got the itch for a time at somewhere and I've got a steam deck so I was wondering whether I should jump on sandrock or give portia another shot.

I'll probably end up getting both anyway but you know. If Portia is worth skipping these days maybe I'll make the sensible decision.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I think Portia is really good and worth upwards of a hundred hours of play. But that's just me.

I don't know how the Steam Deck handles games.

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010

Zesty posted:

I think Portia is really good and worth upwards of a hundred hours of play. But that's just me.

I don't know how the Steam Deck handles games.

For what it’s worth my takeaway from playing it on the switch was “this feels like a great game made by people who over reached” if that makes sense?

It just felt… off. From what I have seen the switch port is especially bad though. I’m just a bit resistant to rebuying things I own on switch because I feel bad for my switch and have barely touched it since my deck showed up. The deck is really rekindling my desire for these farming lifey games though!

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
It can still be a little janky here and there. But I'd say in overall quality, it's second in the genre behind Stardew.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Yeah, Portia has a lot of really good ideas and substance and is one of my favourite farm sims (as shown by me putting some 90 hours in), but just about everything really could have done with like 15% more polish. So many things are just a little bit janky in a way that doesn't really ruin it, but does detract from the overall impression.

I'd say it's absolutely worth it on its own merits, but at the same time Sandrock looks like it's gonna offer the same kind of general gameplay and scope but with quite a bit more polish and an overall tighter feel. So if you're not in a rush, it may be worth it waiting for Sandrock.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I thought I would have played more Life/Farming Sims through steam. I don't remember all the Harvest Moon games I've ever played to be able to rank them anymore, though I am looking forward to the A Wonderful Life remake.

Ranked
Stardew Valley
My Time at Portia
Story of Seasons: Pioneers of Olive Town
Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town
Graveyard Keeper
Littlewood

Wishlisted (ranked in interest)
Story of Seasons: A Wonderful Life
Coral Island
Dinkum
Traveler's Rest
Bear and Breakfast
Sun Haven
Kynseed

Already own Sandrock, but have only poked my head in once or twice. Don't want the drip feed of content. Seems like they're on a good path to an excellent game.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Mar 28, 2023

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Zesty posted:

Littlewood

My wife played this one and really enjoyed it until the story kinda just.... stops. It feels like they're building up to a story conclusion that wraps everything up but then - nothing happens. It feels like it is missing a final act.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
If you're okay with Early Access release style, Sandrock has a ton of hours playable already and is a big improvement over the original in many big and small ways. I really couldn't get back into my Portia save when I hit the end of a patch or two ago in Sandrock, all those little things stick out more after you've gotten used to the newer version, plus the load times add up.

You've already played Portia and had that feeling of "good but overreaching" so I think the safest bet is wait for Sandrock, with the option to jump in now with big updates still to come.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Rynoto posted:

Kynseed is an absolute disappointment and the legacy system is completely useless, yeah. All it has going for it is the pretty aesthetics.

+1 though on eagerly awaiting the 1.0 release of Sandrock.

For actual GoodGames in the genre I've really been enjoying Dinkum still as properly building out the town is great fun.

I feel like Kynseed is close to being really good.

The biggest thing holding it back is that the characters are really dull and randomly generated. If they took the approach of cutting down the number of NPCs in the world at any given time and then rotated a static and well-crafted cast of NPCs out as they die and are born, they could have fleshed them out more and made them a lot more interesting.

The years also need to be a lot shorter, and the aging needs to be faster if the legacy mechanic is ever going to do anything.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I'd say there's about 40ish hours of content in Sandrock right now, assuming you're not absolutely blitzing everything. The main story also feels like it's getting pretty close to the finale, I would be shocked if it isn't finished in the next 2-3 major updates unless there's going to be some big narrative shift after the up-till-now overarching conflict gets resolved. It took me about a full in-game year to get to the point the story's at now (although again I did gently caress around a bit and wasn't blitzing main story content) which is about how long it took me to beat Portia's entire finished story.

Khanstant posted:

If you're okay with Early Access release style, Sandrock has a ton of hours playable already and is a big improvement over the original in many big and small ways. I really couldn't get back into my Portia save when I hit the end of a patch or two ago in Sandrock, all those little things stick out more after you've gotten used to the newer version, plus the load times add up.

You've already played Portia and had that feeling of "good but overreaching" so I think the safest bet is wait for Sandrock, with the option to jump in now with big updates still to come.

Yeah I also tried going back to Portia after Sandrock and it's really rough. Movement feels super janky by comparison even just walking around town and combat in Portia is loving abysmal.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Anyone mess with Song of the Prairie? The negative reviews seem to have more to say than the more generic positive/hopeful comments.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
The Arvio/Ameerah picnic event happened on a sandstorm day, which made the whole thing rather bizarre.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
It's romantic, hair blowing in the wind, sand kissing your sandwich. Like a cherry blossom festival but for the desert.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
I wonder if Sandrock will be a day 1 Gamepass game since Portia is on there now.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfehSdqoxBA

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

drat. That looks good. I haven't been keeping tabs on Sandrock as I wanted to wait for the full release and goddamn does it look like they've improved as a developer. The stuff in here makes Portia look like a rough tech demo.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Hope it’s ready. Giving me pause that multiplayer doesn’t seem to be ready for 1.0. Could mean other things have been cut or delayed too.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Eh, the release date's still 3+ months off, they've got time to hammer out the multiplayer stuff.

The EA build that I played last year was really good, honestly you wouldn't know it wasn't already a finished product if not for the story just kind of abruptly ending with an under construction sign. I guess all the marriage stuff wasn't really baked in yet either but personally I don't really care about any of that and found it to be one of the lamer aspects of Portia.

Looking forward to booting up a fresh file and starting from scratch once 1.0 is out!

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

i hope the console versions launch as 1.0 instead of an early access build that's several updates behind the PC version

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I'm not sure I've ever gotten married in any farmsim life game. I think maybe one of the Gameboy harvest moons I did and it was kinda pointless.

In any case, I was playing a few weeks ago I have no problem recommending the game as-is. I don't know anyone to co-op this sort of coupley game with so don't really care about that aspect. It's better than Portia in every way, solid replacement and take 2 on the concept. I think I'm pretty near the end as I've been butting against current story content for a year of updates, and nearly full skill tree.

My biggest wish is another optimization pass. There was one patch where loading was barely noticeable at all but it's crawled back up as they've updated.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

the guy i anime married in Portia leaves after the main storyline so that's pretty funny and i hope Sandrock has something similar.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
I wish I could try multiplayer with someone, if only to realize how ridiculously inefficient I am with organizing the workshop.

I'm pretty sure my ability to be a fashion disaster is unmatched though.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
portia is a fun time waster but idk why it needed six identical short round men and an insanely big but empty map

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Tired Moritz posted:

portia is a fun time waster but idk why it needed six identical short round men and an insanely big but empty map

Seven and they're a cultural reference. The map is weirdly big though, yeah.

Calabash Brothers

I've been really enjoying Sandrock so far and besides a few bits of polish there really isn't much needed for that release date that isn't multiplayer.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jun 7, 2023

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Hoping that Sandrock lands on GamePass. Portia has been on it for a while, so they already have a relationship with the developer.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

TurnipFritter posted:

the guy i anime married in Portia leaves after the main storyline so that's pretty funny and i hope Sandrock has something similar.

oh it does, and how

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

GotLag posted:

oh it does, and how

thank you pathea for being brave enough to be this funny.