Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Wait, is that normal for a council? To invest in things? I'm just realising now I haven't thought about how councils get all their money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
Austerity has cut council funding so much that they need to gamble what little money they do have on the horses to have a hope of actually paying for services.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

bessantj posted:

Wait, is that normal for a council? To invest in things? I'm just realising now I haven't thought about how councils get all their money.

It turned out that Woking Council just bought a bunch of 9th Ed. 40K armies. Then when the news of 10th Ed. broke, so did their budget.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

bessantj posted:

I think this is what they call "running the country like a business"

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Did this only come to light because the Lib Dems gained control in Woking tho? By which I mean, is the UK just a miserable pile of bankruptcies?

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

I don't get it, what do the lenders do, seize the town? How does a council take out private loans?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Brendan Rodgers posted:

I don't get it, what do the lenders do, seize the town?

Woking? Let them have it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Historically if the government takes out private loans and doesn't want to pay them back the solution was to kill and/or expel the people who lent them money.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I think councils were actively encouraged by the Govt to find ways to increase their own revenue. It's just that they made some very questionable decisions.

Like those councils that invested heavily in shopping centres, in a decade characterised by massive increases in online shopping.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Robin Tax:

I've been visiting the same part of the park for nearly four weeks now, bringing them all you can eat live mealworms each time. This male will fly straight to my hand now, leaving the little dish for the others.

I guess the dry weather also makes them very brave, as they are struggling to find enough food to feed the nests

Best depression treatment I've found so far.

e: Panorama of my special place:

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jun 7, 2023

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Lol at the guy whose always got his own seat training the birds to poo poo all over the public benches. Real supervillain stuff.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Congrats on st francis% speedrun.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Sanford posted:

Right, who’s in?

Going to destroy an absolutely inhuman quantity of frazzles in 90 minutes

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

kingturnip posted:

I think councils were actively encouraged by the Govt to find ways to increase their own revenue. It's just that they made some very questionable decisions.

Like those councils that invested heavily in shopping centres, in a decade characterised by massive increases in online shopping.

Honestly it just seems like a pretty straightforward case of Tory embezzlement.

Which is treated as normal and expected and any questions about family business connections get swept under the rug.

quote:

Racked up to finance the building and acquisition of a vast empire of commercial assets, its investments included a complex of sky-high towers – standing as the tallest buildings outside a big city in England – including a four-star Hilton hotel, public plazas, parking facilities and shops.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I can eat crisps with nothing on my nethers at home.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Ahahahahaha

https://twitter.com/Christian4BuryS/status/1666494259048898588

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

bessantj posted:

Yes. See several Welsh councils who have lost a packet investing in retail/ leisure schemes in the past couple of years.
Sorry I can't do links my internet Three and BT have been up poo poo creek all day. I think a mast must be down somewhere.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

drat, if we'd only had any indication at all prior to 2023 that gene simmons was a humongous piece of poo poo

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

The threads own podcast did an episode recently on Thurrock council, that’s also gone bankrupt. Worth a listen as that was basically bad investments in property too (also corruption, but Tories gonna Tory).

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

Tesseraction posted:

drat, if we'd only had any indication at all prior to 2023 that gene simmons was a humongous piece of poo poo
I'm more baffled by the implication that KISS are "heavy metal".

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Drinkslinger posted:

He's a huge fan so he should know.

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
1. Austerity
2. Suggest councils invest in property
3. New-Game-Plus Austerity:

Slough posted:

As a consequence, the council is to impose “rigorous spend control measures” that are likely to mean significant job losses, cuts to services, and the sale of buildings and land, to ensure it can “live within its means” in the long term.

Croyden posted:

Croydon’s Tory elected mayor, Jason Perry, warned “tough decisions” were needed to guarantee the council’s future. It needed to “do and spend less, with significant spending reductions”, he said.

Thurrock posted:

Thurrock has a financial deficit this year of £470m, a long-term structural shortfall of £184m and debts of £1.3bn. As a consequence, the inspectors said the council was “equipped to do little more than a minimum level of [service] provision for the foreseeable future, if indeed they can continue [to provide services] at all”.

Woking posted:

Ann-Marie Barker, the council’s Liberal Democrat leader, whose party took over from the former Tory administration after it was voted out in local elections last year, said there was a danger that services could be cut as a consequence. “We’re going to have to look at those and provide the services in a very different way in future. Inevitably it’s not going to be such a good service as it was in the past,” she told the Guardian.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Gonzo McFee posted:

I like the orks dakka dakka I'm a mushroom

:hmmorks:

Being an ork would be such a nice existence, much better than being, say, a Tory

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Drinkslinger posted:

maybe he confused them with detroit metal city

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I just realised that I've been confusing Kiss with Aerosmith for many years, so I couldn't name a single one of Kiss's songs.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Payndz posted:

I just realised that I've been confusing Kiss with Aerosmith for many years, so I couldn't name a single one of Kiss's songs.

That's reasonable, they're shite

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Knights in Starmer's Service

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Payndz posted:

I'm also unfamiliar with experiencing kiss

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Payndz posted:

Not even the classic I Will Never Go To School?

I think on balance I'd rather listen to Kiss over Aerosmith but they are both pretty lousy

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Whats with all the robot sex avatars?

kingturnip posted:

Same. Stockport council owns the land of a shopping centre and has been furiously attempting to recoup their investment by taking every development grant going to develop nearby disused buildings into blocks of flats and a handful of amenities.

Bleak that there's no budget for maintaining amenities, but you can get a property developer to pay for a replacement if they also get to put up a block of flats (development starts on the block of flats first, better hope the rest of it also gets finished one day).

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Can’t get buried in an official Aerosmith coffin whereas Kiss had a whole range of merchandise for dead people, giving them a much broader appeal.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Even for a Glam Rock band KISS' music is pretty shite

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

The Question IRL posted:

It turned out that Woking Council just bought a bunch of 9th Ed. 40K armies. Then when the news of 10th Ed. broke, so did their budget.

A council could do worse than investing in GW limited edition and launch boxes.

In fact it probably has a better return than nearly any investment you can make.

Buy Leviathan for £120 and sell contents separately for £200. 66% ROI within a week. Literally zero risk as well unless the local hams find out and burn the councillors for being scalpers.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

If KISS are so great where's their mid-90s light gun game :colbert:

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Ms Adequate posted:

If KISS are so great where's their mid-90s light gun game :colbert:

They had an FPS instead

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiss:_Psycho_Circus:_The_Nightmare_Child

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
God gave Bowler Hats and Marching to you!
Gave Bowler Hats and Marching to you,
March down the road of every town.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

3/2 Especially as now people are pointing out that those views coincide exactly with my own.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Crazy Crazy Crazy Crazy Knights! (Of the realm)

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Welp.

https://twitter.com/declassifieduk/status/1666719924444704768?s=46&t=ARI_L-v32Oind1-d9B3a3Q

https://twitter.com/declassifieduk/status/1666721425665798145?s=46&t=ARI_L-v32Oind1-d9B3a3Q

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
let them fight dot gif