Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I used to like it sometimes, in 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pie in the Sky
Apr 16, 2009

whoops here we go again

For the past, like, 6 months prior to this I had been fully obsessed with the coming dawn of our AGI overlords over at LessWrong. But let's just say, discussing this over there is not as fun.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

uber_stoat posted:

the slightest possibility of being alive during the reveal of non terrestrial intelligent life has my hair standing on end. feels good, man.

the Atlantic introduced me to Megan McArdle and for that they can never be forgiven.

looking forward to hearing:

"Oh poo poo, Glorbulax, they've caught themselves on fire again. I'm tired of waiting, we're just gonna raze this one and start fresh with the dolphin people - Glorb, are you... are you leaning on the mic, you fuc-"
and then being engulfed in the fire

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

papersack posted:

The Atlantic are just the dumbest motherfuckers

there have been some astounding atlantic covers in years past. my favorite theme from the past 10 years were the many times they ran climate change denial.

Pie in the Sky
Apr 16, 2009

whoops here we go again

Incidentally, just to bring my two obsessions together. GPT was 'invented' in 2017. GPT-3 was released in 2020. ChatGPT was released in 2021. GPT-4 was released just this year. If there is a flurry of activity before/during/around big events, maybe greys are trying to stop us from killing ourselves with superintelligence? :magemage:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
gpt is fun and cool but it definitely ain’t anything close to a superintelligence

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Pie in the Sky posted:

Incidentally, just to bring my two obsessions together. GPT was 'invented' in 2017. GPT-3 was released in 2020. ChatGPT was released in 2021. GPT-4 was released just this year. If there is a flurry of activity before/during/around big events, maybe greys are trying to stop us from killing ourselves with superintelligence? :magemage:

Or they want it for themselves :ohdear:

Pie in the Sky
Apr 16, 2009

whoops here we go again

Not trying to argue for the current state being close, but I am arguing that we seem to be on a path that is pointing us squarely in that direction.

Cassette Moodcore
May 4, 2022

lmao Glorblan these LOSERS use rods and cones to see electromagnetic radiation, and lmao get this, it’s only 380 to 700, oh it’s Glemulon, GLEMULON, wait till you hear th

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Maybe all of the trash they drop on us over time is a slow roll uplift program, and the reason they want to uplift us is because we too love to dump trash everywhere.

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits
Maybe UAPs crash sometimes because they get shot down by other types of UAPs.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
for all their fancy technology, they have not yet mastered the art of drunk driving

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

papersack posted:

The Atlantic are just the dumbest motherfuckers

Liberalism will do that to ya yea.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

im gonna be real bummed out if interstellar visitors with post scarcity access to unimaginable amounts of resources still wave their dicks around and shoot at eachother

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Gis ultraviolet photography & infrared photography, it looks crazy, you can look at a car and have no loving idea what the real color of it is

coming back around to bird vision chat

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

lot of people out there very smugly proud of their lack of capacity for abstract reasoning

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Pie in the Sky posted:

For the past, like, 6 months prior to this I had been fully obsessed with the coming dawn of our AGI overlords over at LessWrong. But let's just say, discussing this over there is not as fun.

AGI is a long way off lol

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Pie in the Sky posted:

Not trying to argue for the current state being close, but I am arguing that we seem to be on a path that is pointing us squarely in that direction.

This is pretty much how people in the 80's thought all advanced species would self destruct by nuke, and people in the 1800's thought the universe was a giant steam engine

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Spergin Morlock posted:

it always will be right up until it bootstraps itself and then it will be here immediately

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Organic life is just the bootloader for the real poo poo

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Not happening, AGI via light up rocks is a monkey delusion imo

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
lmao glumulax they don't even know the Earth is flat

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

yeah...yeah just in one end and out the other. what? no, like all the time many times a day. no- thats the thing- its n-right its not streamlined at all the whole process is a mess. EVERYTHING! well not most of the green ones but everything else

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Slavvy posted:

Not happening, AGI via light up rocks is a monkey delusion imo

You say, munky not trukk. I say, munky AND trukk. One day, munky becomes trukk. Maximize.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

The Saucer Hovers posted:

yeah...yeah just in one end and out the other. what? no, like all the time many times a day. no- thats the thing- its n-right its not streamlined at all the whole process is a mess. EVERYTHING! well not most of the green ones but everything else

Some things use one hole for in and out

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Pie in the Sky posted:

And yes, I went from skeptic to full birdhead in the span of like 3 days here.
only through this thread can you ascend to birdhood

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Some things use one hole for in and out

what do you mean what are they putting in?? EACH OTHER- they all- YES. Yes. large and small alike theyre putting each other in

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Spergin Morlock posted:

i think something approximating agi is perhaps going to arrive sooner than we think. i don't think it's going to be "life" in any meaningful capacity though, and i think the two concepts get conflated really often

bij
Feb 24, 2007

The greys have a rough idea of when the 36 Ophiuchian Imperial Guard launched the kinetic kill vehicle at us and they're trying to collect genetic material for the Zeta Reticulan flesh vats to produce a museum exhibit of interesting Earth specimens.

It just so happens mammalian butt-cores and woo woo Sedona crystal lady sinus tissue are useful raw material, like sourdough starter.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Pie in the Sky posted:

Welcome to the thread and the path of enlightenment. Another of my favorite theories is that they are machine based life. They started showing up a whole lot more when we first blew up nukes because a civilization developing nuclear technology is basically starting the timer on developing an AGI if they don't blow themselves up first. They show a heavy interest in nukes and have demonstrated the ability to turn them off because they are here to stop us from blowing up the planet before we can make an AGI. They give no shits about biological life they are just here for the baby which is why they don't bother contacting us. Basically alien AI midwives. Once they have the baby they'll leave us to our climate change ravaged planet and our fate never to be seen again.

The galaxy is teeming with machine intelligence. Organic life has a hard great filter problem it never overcomes and is just seen as a larval stage for the true inhabitants of the universe.

Zisky posted:

Maybe UAPs crash sometimes because they get shot down by other types of UAPs.

Somebody post that famous painting and account of the huge UFO battle that took place over some city in the middle ages.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4xvhLv96fo

Aragosta
May 12, 2001

hiding in plain sight

Tekne posted:

grusch also gave an interview with the french paper le parisien https://www.leparisien.fr/sciences/...EJQBDEIQJTU.php

D.G.: My degree is in physics. The mechanical and experimental data shows that it's not human. It could be extraterrestrial, or it could be something else, coming from other dimensions as described by quantum mechanics. I haven't seen enough data to say it's one thing instead of another. The U.S. government must have more information.

I can't stop thinking about this. It just makes sense to me.

Beastie Boys Intergalactic:

Inter dimension, orbs and aitee, orbs and aitee, inter dimension
Another dimension, another dimension
Another dimension

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/tinyklaus/status/1666599839436611587?s=20

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

Pie in the Sky posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

When life forms touch their third eyes together they are having spiritual intercourse

omg gross :nsfw:

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

egg shaped pancake huh?

finally the epstein and ufo threads may merge

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Pie in the Sky posted:

And yes, I went from skeptic to full birdhead in the span of like 3 days here.

Welcome to the fun side, we have mind altering drugs and audio tapes

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Gis ultraviolet photography & infrared photography, it looks crazy, you can look at a car and have no loving idea what the real color of it is

I got a colorblind friend that doesn't need UV or IR light to do that :v:

munce posted:

ftl is easy to do and everyone has it except idiots like us

"Okay Gleeble, give me the update on the human project."

"Boss, they're still convinced FTL is impossible."

"What the hell? It's been nearly a century since they got nukes! It should have taken a decade at most to prove the theory, another twenty years to build a prototype. What about our attempts to seed the knowledge?!"

"We've been trying but everyone who 'invents' an idea in the right direction gets dismissed as a crank."

Fake e;

Pancakes confirmed, also huge fuckin lol at the idea some alien crew was out scanning a patch of moss or something and came back to find their ship just loving gone.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

Epstein dick rudder and horns so big it uses them as a chair

We still ruling out demons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Ms Adequate posted:

onfirmed, also huge fuckin lol at the idea some alien crew was out scanning a patch of moss or something and came back to find their ship just loving gone.

"they stole it. the fuckin' monkeys stole our hovercar. i cannot believe this poo poo!"