Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

DC Murderverse posted:

As for the To Be Continued, I get that a lot of people are upset about that now but I think that will fade once the second movie comes out. The only difference between this and Avengers or Harry Potter is that it wasn’t advertised explicitly as part one of two, but I think looking at this movie and thinking of everything we likely wouldn’t have gotten if it was just one film, I’d say it’s worth it. I imagine almost all of the Gwen stuff was added after that decision was made because in a 2.5 hour movie that has to start and finish the whole thing, there’s no room for that. They made the right call in the long run even if you annoy some people in the moment.

The only thing that annoyed me about the movie being 2.5 hours long is that I had to piss incredibly bad so i skipped out as soon as the credits started. Was there an after credits scene? :shobon:

And trans Gwen made me rally happy. What an incredible film!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

The only thing that annoyed me about the movie being 2.5 hours long is that I had to piss incredibly bad so i skipped out as soon as the credits started. Was there an after credits scene? :shobon:

And trans Gwen made me rally happy. What an incredible film!

No after credits scene. The title card just slowly shifts from Across The Spiderverse into Beyond The Spiderverse, the name of the next movie.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

KittyEmpress posted:

No after credits scene. The title card just slowly shifts from Across The Spiderverse into Beyond The Spiderverse, the name of the next movie.

Groovy, thanks.

I watched it in IMAX and I think I'll see it again in Dolby Cinema. I'm really stoked about this film.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

KittyEmpress posted:

Spot definitely starts out as a low tier criminal and his journey into becoming a multiversal threat is entirely based on his desire for respect and the lack of it everyone gives him. He gets pretty mercilessly bullied for the first part of the film, with no one treating him with any sort of seriousness.

This continues on even after his power spike. Miguel goes after Miles to stop him while just saying 'and someone here go catch Spot' very offhandidly without much care for it. Even after becoming an eldritch creature it's clear that Miguel has no respect for Spot as a threat, just like how Miles didn't, just like how Gwen didn't, just like how the villains in the deleted scene apparently didn't.

The movie focuses over and over on Spot trying to force the nemesis level with Miles, going on and on about how You Created Me!!! But Miles ends up creating a much worse Spot with his insults and quips, in the end. He did create Spot, but during this movie, not during the first one.

It’s obviously hard to read too closely into the first half of the film in terms of overall themes but it’s interesting that AtSV and EEAAO have both had (to my mind) the rejection of meta-ironic detachment as coping mechanism as a throughpoint? With Spot, it’s only through a literal connection (in the Spider-Man India collider?) that Miles starts to engage with him on the level of seriousness and threat he represents. Before that he was just gleefully poking holes? Idk

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I almost wonder if the next movie has and opening with Miguel’s story as part to explain him and his redemption because numerous people question him, Peter B Parker saying all Spider-people are funny and Miles asking if he’s really a Spider-Man after seeing his claws, his venomous teeth and his needing to take shots to maintain himself/his powers. On this one Gwen interrupts him and Miguel is in fact a legit hero though major rear end in a top hat. It counters him saying Miles was a mistake because Miguel is out of the norm of a normal Spider-person himself.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Miguel is just weird in the comics. 2099 didn't have the editor influence on it for most of its life because no one really cared that much. So Miguel is a very weird character since each writer basically got full control with no retcons or editor mandated changes.

It's interesting that probably the Least Spiderman Spiderman is the head of the Spidermen though.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Saw it a second time and near the end You can quickly tell that Miles is In the wrong dimension from how different the room is. His I taco NY sticker is replaced with an I Burger NY one and his back wall is filled with records like his Uncle had. More importantly though he has a drafting table, magnifying glass, soldering iron, and a schematic for the prowlers gauntlet right on the wall. After seeing all that I'm leaning towards him being an anti hero, whose loss of father and Aaron's influence, as well as his own lesser abilities without spider powers means his ability to fight crime effectively is reduced dramatically.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Besides noticing the 42 with the eye scan, the big one for me was that they intentionally frame the scene of his room so you can s3e where the toy Gwen ripped open earlier should be sitting on the desk. And it's not there, replaced with books. That was probably the most obvious give away.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

Saw it a second time and near the end You can quickly tell that Miles is In the wrong dimension from how different the room is. His I taco NY sticker is replaced with an I Burger NY one and his back wall is filled with records like his Uncle had. More importantly though he has a drafting table, magnifying glass, soldering iron, and a schematic for the prowlers gauntlet right on the wall. After seeing all that I'm leaning towards him being an anti hero, whose loss of father and Aaron's influence, as well as his own lesser abilities without spider powers means his ability to fight crime effectively is reduced dramatically.

One thing that came to mind to me.

We know 42-Miles is a lot darker and a lot more viscous but I'm curious to know what the state of the rest of the world is. Like is it possible it's a bit of a misdirect and Aaron and Miles in that world are effectively anti-heroes fighting against Alchemax or something?

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
I knew he was going to use the go home machine and be sent to the wrong world pretty early in the chase sequence. It was very well set up and basically inevitable. A viewer could draw the conclusion from any one of a huge number of clues.

The movie is very good at having a ton of different stuff going on, but it is all coherent. All works together to support what the movie is doing.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

One thing that came to mind to me.

We know 42-Miles is a lot darker and a lot more viscous but I'm curious to know what the state of the rest of the world is. Like is it possible it's a bit of a misdirect and Aaron and Miles in that world are effectively anti-heroes fighting against Alchemax or something?

That's sort of what I was thinking. We see the Spider was going to bite him, and that he had his own Uncle Ben event. It's the harshest rebuke to Miguel's not a spiderman talk. If 42 Miles ended up close to Aaron and started pulling petty crime while working on the Prowler tech only to wake up to a dose of reality when his father gets caught up in it. Then goes all in on trying to stop crime, but is limited mobility and skill wise.

They've even set up their own villain for that dimension with the Sinister Six being called out. And two Heroes of slightly different views getting into pointless fights before teaming up to fight the big bad is as old as comics.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

That's sort of what I was thinking. We see the Spider was going to bite him, and that he had his own Uncle Ben event. It's the harshest rebuke to Miguel's not a spiderman talk. If 42 Miles ended up close to Aaron and started pulling petty crime while working on the Prowler tech only to wake up to a dose of reality when his father gets caught up in it. Then goes all in on trying to stop crime, but is limited mobility and skill wise.

They've even set up their own villain for that dimension with the Sinister Six being called out. And two Heroes of slightly different views getting into pointless fights before teaming up to fight the big bad is as old as comics.

Yeah, "Miles doesn't get bitten by Spider-Man but even without the powers still becomes a hero" feels like a natural counterpoint. You can even justify the way they were acting by "a weird clone of MIles showed up in his house talking to his mom and they are pissed about that.

It ends up being a bit of bait and switch but eh.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Good for you!

mystes
May 31, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, "Miles doesn't get bitten by Spider-Man but even without the powers still becomes a hero" feels like a natural counterpoint. You can even justify the way they were acting by "a weird clone of MIles showed up in his house talking to his mom and they are pissed about that.
I think you could probably also justify how they were acting if they aren't just being randomly threatening but actually have a specific plan to use him in some way, albeit probably against his will?

Like they knocked him out and then Miles 42 said he wasn't going to let Miles go which seems like them just being evil because it doesn't seem like there's any reason for it but there might be a reason which would just make it a mildly lovely thing to do rather than pointless cruelty. It's fully possible that Miles 42 has had some interaction with Alchemax in his own universe and knows that there are other universes and put together that that Miles is spiderman and want's to do a typical thing of taking his spider dna or something

The whole scene is set up so that the viewer can assume that Miles 42 has just turned into a petty criminal but we really have no idea and I would like to think it would be a mistake to underestimate Miles in any universe

mystes fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jun 8, 2023

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

The third movie is almost certainly going to be delayed.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Kart Barfunkel posted:

The third movie is almost certainly going to be delayed.
why?

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

The ongoing writers strike, voice actors saying they haven’t recorded much of anything yet, while this current film had them recording on and off for about four years.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7RvFZ6XtkI

This song is one of my favorites from the movie.

I love this movie more than the first, definitely. I want to see it again just to see the part this song shows up in.

Kart Barfunkel posted:

The ongoing writers strike, voice actors saying they haven’t recorded much of anything yet, while this current film had them recording on and off for about four years.

If I'm not mistaken, wasn't this supposed to be one movie but they split it into two? So maybe the lines for Beyond are finished or something.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

My theories
Imo Miguel is also an anomaly as that works with his backstory in the comics, his connection to alchemax and the "Are you even a spiderman?", "spidermen are supposed to be funny" foreshadowing that gets dropped on him.

I also reckon alt miles is a good guy and that whole scene is mostly a fakeout, after his dad got killed his uncle changes his ways, or possibly he forces his uncle to change his ways and becomes antihero prowler. His uncle is looking after his mum and says he is no longer the prowler, miles took over and they made the nice pro cop mural together.
They may know something about this already and have their own ends.
There will be a cool action scene then they team up to fight spot/Miguel and alt miles saves Miles dad or otherwise interacts with him.

I'm not sure if spot or Miguel are gonna be the final enemy, it's too obvious if its Miguel but it seems too close to the climax if its spot. Could be a new enemy, either way I think Miguel will turn good and team up against it in the end while being an antagonist for the first half, probably having spiderwoman and techspidergirl turn against him for going too far.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Communist Thoughts posted:

My theories
Imo Miguel is also an anomaly as that works with his backstory in the comics, his connection to alchemax and the "Are you even a spiderman?", "spidermen are supposed to be funny" foreshadowing that gets dropped on him.

I don't have comics 2099 knowledge, but within the context of the film itself I'd say he is (or at least, was) an anomaly, as he literally lifejacked a different version of himself, presumably long before "you're the original anomaly Miles Morales"

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Communist Thoughts posted:

techspidergirl turn against him for going too far.

Spider-Byte is already with Gwen at the end. She saw Miguel going all feral vampire man and clearly already decided it was too far.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

ThermoPhysical posted:

If I'm not mistaken, wasn't this supposed to be one movie but they split it into two? So maybe the lines for Beyond are finished or something.

It was, but Hailee Steinfeld said she hasn't recorded any dialogue for it yet.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

It was, but Hailee Steinfeld said she hasn't recorded any dialogue for it yet.

Do you have a source for that? Because the dialogue should’ve been recorded literally years ago.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

MokBa posted:

Do you have a source for that? Because the dialogue should’ve been recorded literally years ago.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-features/spider-man-across-the-spider-verse-hailee-steinfeld-1235506319/

(That part is at the very end.)

Also:

And the release date for the third one has been removed from the official Twitter page.

Kart Barfunkel fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jun 8, 2023

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

I think it’s a bit mixed up because she says they recorded four years ago, and back then this was supposed to be one movie. I’m 95% sure all the dialogue for both movies was in the can a VERY long time ago. She’s likely referring to a fourth, which is bound to happen at some point.

I’ll give you the other point though.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

It's likely that when choosing to expand the story to two movies they would need to call in for redoing and adding new lines. I doubt they originally recorded 5 hours of dialogue and then went 'oh darn we will have to split it'.

They probably hit like the 3 hour mark and then went 'well we can't resolve this this or that well. We will expand on those things here and push this to the second movie and expand those things then'

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

KittyEmpress posted:

Isn't about time we got beyond the Spider-verse? :rolleyes:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
IMO there's something oddly fitting about Miguel being the leader of a transdimensional alliance of spider-people who are mostly Peter Parker derived, perhaps specifically because he's so different. He's looking at the archetype from the outside, and quite possibly a good part of his fanaticism is because he feels out of place - that his animosity to Miles is self loathing, which considering his backstory he probably has lots of.

Also that Miguel has more in common with Spider-Man villains; implicitly vampiric like Morbius, has claws and uses advanced tech like the Prowler, is involved with Alchemax, and his whole introduction with the slowly descending platform is 100% evil overlord presentation, just riffed to pieces because he's literally surrounded by trickster heroes. Which makes it a different kind of meta. He may be playing it up, possibly to wind them up.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Two minor bits I'm just thinking of now that we're funny
Miles doing multiple YouTube apology videos
Gwen does the same Deeper Voice When Talking To Cops that Miles does

oh and it was kind of neat how Miles-42 makes Prowler costume his own personal thing with alterations like the LED mask

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The inter-movie adventures of Miles having him make the same humorous kind of gently caress ups as Peter B was a laugh. And it being baby powder in particular is a fun callback with how Peter B admits to being a bad teacher but honestly that's practical advice that had unexpected consequences, a theme with the spider-people; they have good intentions, and sometimes screw up. ...okay, fairly often screw up. Also interesting that Miles puts a lot of effort into PR, and his relationship with the police is a lot better than Gwen's, down to having a friendly conversation with Jefferson who's comfortable enough to share his personal problems. I think that's one of the points where Miles stands out; compared to most Peters or other spider-people, he's much more extraverted and socially adept than the often aloof and/or dorky Parkers.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Like I said in the BSS thread; How do you have your cake and eat it too? Two cakes. How do you save your dad and stop The Spot as well? Two Miles.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
That’s one of the reasons I’d love to just have a solo Miles adventure. Having more of those times where Spidey and Officer Davis Morales right crimes together.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Actually makes me wonder what a universe with no Spider-man looks like. Aside from having a lot of rooftop fires for some reason. First thought? Without a hero to fight them, the supervillains end up fighting each other for dominance. That might be more or less what the alternate Prowler does; seems implied they're in the same business more or less as Aaron was, but Miles took over the active role. Quite possibly he's on the 'lighter shade of black' side of things, and the idea that an alternate Miles is trying to be actively heroic rather than just more competition is gonna be tricky to explain.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Actually makes me wonder what a universe with no Spider-man looks like. Aside from having a lot of rooftop fires for some reason. First thought? Without a hero to fight them, the supervillains end up fighting each other for dominance. That might be more or less what the alternate Prowler does; seems implied they're in the same business more or less as Aaron was, but Miles took over the active role. Quite possibly he's on the 'lighter shade of black' side of things, and the idea that an alternate Miles is trying to be actively heroic rather than just more competition is gonna be tricky to explain.

There’s clearly a level of civilisation left, someone’s turning the handle to keep the streetlights on etc.

Following on from the idea that there’s an examination of ironic detachment in the film, maybe Earth-42 will be on the theme of societies reaction to people (extraordinary or otherwise) and people’s reaction to society? Not the matte background on which the villains and heroes battle, but a look at how society is foregrounded?

In Earth 42 - If you can create a squad of Rhinos, could anyone ever protest again? What does Spider-Man/Miles Prowler look like if he has to battle police to save people?

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Like I said in the BSS thread; How do you have your cake and eat it too? Two cakes. How do you save your dad and stop The Spot as well? Two Miles.

Yeah I think this is probably it. Oooo man seeing all those nice story beats resolve is gonna feel so good hahaha

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.
So apparently the Lego sequence was done by a 14 year old: https://www.nytimes.com/2023/06/07/movies/spider-man-across-the-spider-verse-lego.html

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Lego Spider-man being a thing and being proportionately sized is just loving gold and I hope he shows up at the eleventh hour.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I don't think so to be honest. There's no Sinister Six in Miles' world that we've seen, but there is in alternate Miles' world. it suggests they're working together. It's just now there's nothing stopping them.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Lego Spider-man being a thing and being proportionately sized is just loving gold and I hope he shows up at the eleventh hour.

What’s he going to do? Get in the way so the bad guy step on him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

What’s he going to do? Get in the way so the bad guy step on him?
That would be extremely painful for them, so yes it could work

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/why-walking-legos-hurts-more-walking-fire-or-ice-180970784/