Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005

SlowBloke posted:

You might want to talk with SNCF/inoui (depending on your ticket) staff, tickets are not automatically transferable.

They sent me a link to rebook once our first train hit 20 minutes late and I’ve got the tickets from that so it’s all ok.

I thought we were going to have to take a TER for 3 hours when I first checked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
If you are in Australia you can get a free 7 day trial of stan sport to watch this and it actually works, unlike the wec website.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

harperdc posted:

It's Le Mans practice time :letsgo:

oh snap a GTE-Am car into the wall and a P2 just collected him, ugh.
I guess practice 01 isn't being aired on Eurosport, only the first qualifying that begins at 18:45.
Practice 02 does get shown, though.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
All your people using weird american apps for weather should probably just use Frances meteorological service app which is Météo France.

Also I hope that I actually remember the race is this weekend because I’ve only watched like a couple hours max of any racing this year.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

track day bro! posted:

All your people using weird american apps for weather should probably just use Frances meteorological service app which is Météo France.

Also I hope that I actually remember the race is this weekend because I’ve only watched like a couple hours max of any racing this year.

https://meteofrance.com/previsions-meteo-france/le-mans/72000

Same forecast as accuweather, weather underground, Apple weather and meteo.it for good measure.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I finally made it. I've been awake for going on 30 hours straight. I binged the entire series on Last Of Us on the airplane and felt like one of those zombies until I had a shower and a beer and some food that wasn't in baguette form. Now I'm going to pass out for, God willing, 12 hours. But I'm here! gently caress it can be a ballache getting here though.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Finger Prince posted:

I finally made it. I've been awake for going on 30 hours straight. I binged the entire series on Last Of Us on the airplane and felt like one of those zombies until I had a shower and a beer and some food that wasn't in baguette form. Now I'm going to pass out for, God willing, 12 hours. But I'm here! gently caress it can be a ballache getting here though.

My dude, I’m doing 1400km all over trains to be there, I feel that you would literally melt in my shoes.

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005
Also made it, had a shower and now waiting for some food, I’ve had 1 Twix since I got up at 6am. then hopefully off to see a little bit of of practice before passing out for the night

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Do remember that the live timing is available nowadays even for qualifying and practice, so if you wanna follow-along it's here.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I'm going to have to watch the race on cable TV this year and i hope there aren't 35 minutes of commercials every hour :(

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Powershift posted:

I'm going to have to watch the race on cable TV this year and i hope there aren't 35 minutes of commercials every hour :(
Eurosport tend to have 3 minutes of commercials every 15-20 minutes which feels like a lot, but unfortunately TV2 don't show practice and qualifying.
TV2 does show the race itself, and only have a few breaks in programming to do a news show at around 18:00 CEST - they resume the broadcast at 19:40 CEST, so I only have to suffer through like 1½ hours of commercials occationally.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I'm watching on discovery velocity in Canada because i already have access to it.

They stretch roadkill episodes to an hour.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

SlowBloke posted:

https://meteofrance.com/previsions-meteo-france/le-mans/72000

Same forecast as accuweather, weather underground, Apple weather and meteo.it for good measure.

most meteorology services are public services and hand out all their models for free so most third party apps just pick up those. so yeah just use whichever app you want, its generally fine unless the app is complete poo poo.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Grimson posted:

most meteorology services are public services and hand out all their models for free so most third party apps just pick up those. so yeah just use whichever app you want, its generally fine unless the app is complete poo poo.
I just want something that publishes the 80% probability in addition to the 95% confidence interval for 48 hours.
Anything outside of that is basically just guess-work anyway.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I just want something that publishes the 80% probability in addition to the 95% confidence interval for 48 hours.
Anything outside of that is basically just guess-work anyway.

yr does 60 hour short term, so they're a few hours away from the start of the race atm but theyre saying very light rain

0.4mm

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Grimson posted:

yr does 60 hour short term, so they're a few hours away from the start of the race atm but theyre saying very light rain

0.4mm
Since when does yr.no cover France?!
I love that site and use it daily, but for a long time it only covered the Scandinavian area - I even mentioned it ITT.

EDIT: :piss:

EDIT2: Ah, there's no probability like there is on this one for where I live:

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jun 7, 2023

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Since when does yr.no cover France?!

I love that site and use it daily, but for a long time it only covered the Scandinavian area - I even mentioned it ITT.

they're part of the pan-european ECMWF network which gives them good coverage of europe, but its generally less high-res than their nordic coverage (9km between each measuring point in europe compared to 2.5km for the nordics). also iirc their coverage was so good in some odd places like australian or new zealand sheep farmers started relying on them instead of their local met office cause it was way more accurate or something?

i stand by my "use whatever you want" statement, but you will never get me to use anything but yr

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Grimson posted:

they're part of the pan-european ECMWF network which gives them good coverage of europe, but its generally less high-res than their nordic coverage (9km between each measuring point in europe compared to 2.5km for the nordics). also iirc their coverage was so good in some odd places like australian or new zealand sheep farmers started relying on them instead of their local met office cause it was way more accurate or something?

i stand by my "use whatever you want" statement, but you will never get me to use anything but yr
Eh, it's still a shitload better in terms of presentation than any other site, which is also a big part of why I'm sticking to it whenever I can.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

had no idea the NASCAR was going to be that quick

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Hopping on my train in a hour, hopefully I will be in Lemans at lunch time. I will have to drop everything at the hotel but I think I won’t be able to see much today.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

spaceblancmange posted:

To be fair it's pretty far from a stock nascar, but it is definitely rapid, and I love it.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

To be fair it's pretty far from a stock nascar, but it is definitely rapid, and I love it.

sure they might not have much of a rulebook but it's got 10-15kph on the GT's in top speed and doesn't seem to lose much if anything to them in the corners, impressive.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Early on in the week, they had a 2" larger spoiler on and were actually slower than the GTEs on the straights, they've since gotten permission from race control to trim out a bit and put a smaller spoiler on the car to reduce drag.

It's crazy all the work they've done to reduce weight and improve handling.

Lighter (but wider) wheels, carbon ceramic brakes, thinner body panels, thinner steel on the front and rear clips (since it doesn't need to be as robust in a crash vs on an oval with multiple impacts expected), engine is lower and further back, 2" longer splitter, longer and more diffuser strakes, canards front and rear, paddle shifting, traction control, a pit/fcy limiter.

It's wild and I love it so much

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Thierry Neuville won a rally :toot:
Takamoto Katsuta crashed out :negative:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

SlowBloke posted:

My dude, I’m doing 1400km all over trains to be there, I feel that you would literally melt in my shoes.

I did half that last year. Flew in to Frankfurt and got the train. Took like 4 hours just to get to the German border. DB is terrible.
This year I decided to fly from Frankfurt to Nantes and get the train from there, which was delayed an hour, and then the train from Nantes was delayed an hour. So did I save any time? Yes but not really. Ideally I'd fly direct in to CDG and get the TGV train that stops at the airport, but there's no direct flights from Vancouver to Paris (on the day I was flying).

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I’m technically doing 1665km on 7 trains between now and raceday, plus the earlier 13hrs/9000km-ish of flying. But that’s by choice cause I wanted to tour around a bit.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

So is Motortrend+ worth it to watch the race in the USA? Or will there be better / free options with a VPN?

I'm fine with paying $5 for a month to watch the race, but don't want it to be a bullshit service like Peacock is for Indycar, with not having the side by side and just lovely elevator music in place of ads.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Finger Prince posted:

I did half that last year. Flew in to Frankfurt and got the train. Took like 4 hours just to get to the German border. DB is terrible.
This year I decided to fly from Frankfurt to Nantes and get the train from there, which was delayed an hour, and then the train from Nantes was delayed an hour. So did I save any time? Yes but not really. Ideally I'd fly direct in to CDG and get the TGV train that stops at the airport, but there's no direct flights from Vancouver to Paris (on the day I was flying).

DB makes Trenitalia look like JR, I think only OBB is more unreliable than them.

Currently on a Freccia 1000 going to Lyon, then inoui to lemans.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jun 8, 2023

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

So is Motortrend+ worth it to watch the race in the USA? Or will there be better / free options with a VPN?

If MotorTrend gets you the same feed as on the official WEC app, it should be alright. I’m not in the US but I think there’s chances to get a month free for that app, or it’s about the same as paying for the WEC app for Le Mans alone.

I’ll drop more broadcast options in here later, but Radio Le Mans is always free and without geoblocks, but audio only. There are usually some free in-car streams which would be decent paired with RLM (or some might use it).

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

I'm fine with paying $5 for a month to watch the race, but don't want it to be a bullshit service like Peacock is for Indycar, with not having the side by side and just lovely elevator music in place of ads.

motortrend+ is fine, there are no commercials and the feed has always been very high quality and i've never had it cut out

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

spaceblancmange posted:

It'll be interesting to see whether it can last 24 hours; Garage 56 doesn't usually have a good track record, even if it isn't a car that's designed to run for about an hour in its top gear, which suddenly has to use all the gears.

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Early on in the week, they had a 2" larger spoiler on and were actually slower than the GTEs on the straights, they've since gotten permission from race control to trim out a bit and put a smaller spoiler on the car to reduce drag.

It's crazy all the work they've done to reduce weight and improve handling.

Lighter (but wider) wheels, carbon ceramic brakes, thinner body panels, thinner steel on the front and rear clips (since it doesn't need to be as robust in a crash vs on an oval with multiple impacts expected), engine is lower and further back, 2" longer splitter, longer and more diffuser strakes, canards front and rear, paddle shifting, traction control, a pit/fcy limiter.

It's wild and I love it so much
Don't forget the headlights!

Also, they didn't add airjacks for raising the car when it's in for a full-service pitstop - which is baffling to me.
I know they're technically not competing, but there's on the order of 30 pitstops during a race, and with a third to a fourth of them being full-service that last at least a minute for some of the most efficient teams, there's a lot of time to be saved.

It might be conceivable that they lose out to a top GTE Am team simply on pit strategy alone.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
As long as Kobayashi doesn’t punt them into the gravel I’ll be happy.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

It'll be interesting to see whether it can last 24 hours; Garage 56 doesn't usually have a good track record, even if it isn't a car that's designed to run for about an hour in its top gear, which suddenly has to use all the gears.

Don't forget the headlights!

Also, they didn't add airjacks for raising the car when it's in for a full-service pitstop - which is baffling to me.
I know they're technically not competing, but there's on the order of 30 pitstops during a race, and with a third to a fourth of them being full-service that last at least a minute for some of the most efficient teams, there's a lot of time to be saved.

It might be conceivable that they lose out to a top GTE Am team simply on pit strategy alone.

according to the commentators, the aco specifically asked them not to add air jacks and to fully commit to nascar-style pit stops (mimus fuel can for obvious safety reasons)

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I remembered the way to get live timing like they're presented at the track:
If you're using a Chromium-based browser (unfortunately it doesn't work for Firefox), you can install this then go to the live timing site when the race is on and press the "Launch Timing71" button.
This will open a new window that you can put on a secondary/tertiary/quaternary monitor.

It's much better than the official live timing, because it's easier to look at at a glance and see where things are, plus it takes up a lot less screen real estate.

If you press the gear, there's also an analysis function that lets you dig deep into the data that's collected to find stuff that wasn't available on the official live timing (but might've been pulled out from behind the paywall at some point, it seems they've made some good changes).

Finally, if you're the kind of stats nerd as I am, all the statistics and information that ACO/FIA make available to the teams is available to everyone.

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

according to the commentators, the aco specifically asked them not to add air jacks and to fully commit to nascar-style pit stops (mimus fuel can for obvious safety reasons)
Huh, that's interesting.

Then again, it looks rad as gently caress when they jump in through the window.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

well, I'd be more worried if they didn't just win the GTE class pit-stop challenge this week with that floor jack and beefy crew of former college American football players :v: :911: I mean they're even doing driver changes through the window like a regular NASCAR, it's fun, it sounds amazing, it's quick down the straights and might just last the whole race. Can't hate it.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

harperdc posted:

well, I'd be more worried if they didn't just win the GTE class pit-stop challenge this week with that floor jack and beefy crew of former college American football players :v: :911: I mean they're even doing driver changes through the window like a regular NASCAR, it's fun, it sounds amazing, it's quick down the straights and might just last the whole race. Can't hate it.
Holy poo poo, that's loving impressive!

I was making a few jokes about NASCAR in the Discord for the fun of it, but the more I learn about what actually goes into NASCAR in terms of the engineering challenge of it, the more impressive it gets.
I probably won't ever actually watch a race (though part of that is that I don't wanna deal with Usanian commentary, and worse, the commercials), but it doesn't live up to its stereotypes anymore.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Jun 8, 2023

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

I was making a few jokes about NASCAR in the Discord for the fun of it, but the more I learn about what actually goes into NASCAR in terms of the engineering challenge of it, the more impressive it gets.
I probably won't ever actually watch a race (though part of that is that I don't wanna deal with Usanian commentary, and worse, the commercials), but it doesn't live up to its stereotypes anymore.

They even banned the Confederate flag.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

their official YouTube page puts races up in full a week or so after the fact, so it's not exactly the most strenuous thing to get into. the Discord may have some better recommendations, but there's already been one road course race this year (Cup at COTA) and I think the second level just raced at Portland last weekend, and there's a couple more right and left turn races left. Superspeedways are impressive for the sheer scale, but the older tracks and short ovals usually are fun as well. But yeah, it's extremely :911: in presentation.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

they are running a street circuit in the middle of chicago this year

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

They even banned the Confederate flag.

it is in a park named after ulysses s grant just to rub it in

spaceblancmange fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Jun 8, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brass Hand
Feb 27, 2020