Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Brass Hand posted:

WEC are running a fan survey through Motorsport Network:

https://fiawec-global-fan-survey-2023.motorsportnetwork.com

don't make the mistake I did, tell them the app is poo poo for me please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

harperdc posted:

well, I'd be more worried if they didn't just win the GTE class pit-stop challenge this week with that floor jack and beefy crew of former college American football players :v: :911: I mean they're even doing driver changes through the window like a regular NASCAR, it's fun, it sounds amazing, it's quick down the straights and might just last the whole race. Can't hate it.

Yeah, the car's lap speed isn't really impressive, it'll go as fast as the ACO lets it go while the GTEs are of course heavily restricted and hosed about with, as are the LMP2s.

But that pit stop is all them.

Dudley fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Jun 8, 2023

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
They were just talking about a prediction of a thunderstorm on raceday :getin:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Sega Dreamcast mentioned.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Yeah, that was out of left-field.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Oh there's a descendant of the Habsburg dynasty in LMP2.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Oh there's a descendant of the Habsburg dynasty in LMP2.
He's been participating in Endurance racing for quite a number of years.

I remember that because they always being up the length of his full name.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Wait what

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

harperdc posted:

Wait what

He was talking about borrowing one because it had a Le Mans game.

xK1
Dec 1, 2003

harperdc posted:

Wait what
One of the commentators mentioned they got a Dreamcast for this game:

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

there was some deep cut grand prix legends chat yesterday

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I got fooled by the WEC commentary, it's no longer the RLM stream.

RLM supremacy.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Motortrend+ will have the WEC Official feed it seems. That's the best bet for Americans. It'll also be on TV on MotorTrend but it'll most likely have commercials.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Motortrend+ will have the WEC Official feed it seems. That's the best bet for Americans. It'll also be on TV on MotorTrend but it'll most likely have commercials.
RLM RLM RLM RLM RLM RLM RLM.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

RLM RLM RLM RLM RLM RLM RLM.

For sure. I'm not sure it would feel right watching Le Mans without it be commentated in a Geordie accent.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

If you're wanting something to listen to while waiting for the hyperpole, after this free practice is done, here's a piece from RLM on BOP.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

So is Motortrend+ worth it to watch the race in the USA? Or will there be better / free options with a VPN?

I'm fine with paying $5 for a month to watch the race, but don't want it to be a bullshit service like Peacock is for Indycar, with not having the side by side and just lovely elevator music in place of ads.

The coverage is decent I usually use it for lemans and it's not terrible trash.
Note.. Mototrend is FREE*

(they don'' retain their records for very long or something)
Next year.. Sign in, subscribe up for the free week.. Rinse, repeat.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

All this might help people who're tuning in during the hyperpole or the race, so let's mention the whole spiel.

For the best commentary, check out the Radio Le Mans Studio Vision - it's a YouTube stream with a clock, so you can sync it up with the live stream (whether you get it on TV, your PC, an app, or something else). It's available at:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa6pF3EwQW-Sj-46DOXWydw/streams

For the best live timing, check out Timing17 - it's an extension for Chromium-based browsers (no Firefox, which sucks) that adds a launch button on the FIAWEC live tracking, which opens a separate window that looks like the live timing available at Circuit de la Sarthe. It's available at:
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/timing71/pjdcehojcogjpilmeliklfddboeoogpd

For access to the information made available for press and the teams, the timing results et al are published by ACO/FIA - it's a collection of all the various technical details about the race:
http://fiawec.alkamelsystems.com/

For being able to spot the various cars easier, check out the spotters guide. It's available at:
https://spotters.guide/resources/2023_Le_Mans_SG_v1.1.pdf

For a live map with car positions, check out
https://live.griiip.com/session/149/map?columns=Last%20Lap,Best%20Lap,Interval,Gap,Sectors,Laps

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
gently caress me raw. It might be a bit of rant but I’m angry. Proper Angry.
The Trenitalia train was so late, we got in the Lyon station and the other one I was expected was already at the next station with no replacements, meaning I had to pay for a ticket to Paris and then lemans. So I wasted two good hours to get here, I walked to the apartment, deep in the Arab ghetto, and the buzzer didn’t rang. At all. I phoned the number that was in booking.com and I get someone that could speak only French or Spanish and didn’t opened up. A passing kid had a spark of pity and opened up, I found a group of pensioners chatting, I try to plead my case and after a bit of telephone game I get to the apartment which I would feel bad selling for two hundred per night let alone four hundred. I’m here, I’m deadly tired and if it proper rains tomorrow I might start wrecking poo poo.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

SlowBloke posted:

gently caress me raw. It might be a bit of rant but I’m angry. Proper Angry.
The Trenitalia train was so late, we got in the Lyon station and the other one I was expected was already at the next station with no replacements, meaning I had to pay for a ticket to Paris and then lemans. So I wasted two good hours to get here, I walked to the apartment, deep in the Arab ghetto, and the buzzer didn’t rang. At all. I phoned the number that was in booking.com and I get someone that could speak only French or Spanish and didn’t opened up. A passing kid had a spark of pity and opened up, I found a group of pensioners chatting, I try to plead my case and after a bit of telephone game I get to the apartment which I would feel bad selling for two hundred per night let alone four hundred. I’m here, I’m deadly tired and if it proper rains tomorrow I might start wrecking poo poo.
That loving sucks, friend.

I'm sorry to say that it's probably going to rain the most tomorrow, out of the entire weekend. :(

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

xK1 posted:

One of the commentators mentioned they got a Dreamcast for this game:

Ah, right, that was a hell of a game in its time.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I'm going to try and @RLM and get them talking about train sim again.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Red Letter Media Le Mans commentary?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Red Letter Media Le Mans commentary?

how will mike tie le mans into star trek

Brass Hand
Feb 27, 2020

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
September 1 in Texas? Was Hell booked?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Imola should be fun and Interlagos was a good sportscar circuit before as well, so hopefully the check clears :v:

losing Sebring for the WEC is a bit of a shame, but it's also nice to make it a place where possibly a couple extra teams might sneak over for the 12 Hour instead. We'll see.

Big news dump day before Le Mans, the schedule is part of it but here's even more:

• Next year, confirmation that the WEC will be only two classes - Hypercar and LM GT3, the latter of which will be pro-am. Note that the LM GT3 class manufacturers will be invited, but not exclusively the Hypercar brands, as worried.
  • Two new cars: The Alpine A424 Beta, which is confirmed to be Oreca-based and to LMDH rules and is due to join the WEC next season; and Toyota unveiling the GR H2 Racing concept, which uses hydrogen combustion (eg a modified gasoline engine with the hydrogen tank and fittings) as opposed to a fuel cell EV. Seems likely we'll see Toyota race this H2 car at Le Mans in the near future.
  • Corvette Racing is planning on having two of its new C8-based Z06 GT3.R cars in the WEC full season next year, plus four cars in IMSA - two in GTD Pro and two in GTD (Am). They're also planning on racing in SRO series, and obviously the expectation is more customers will join from the second year I would imagine.
  • Ford has unveiled the Mustang GT3, and along with aiming for two-car teams in IMSA and WEC, the fact that their WEC customer is named as Proton Competition (who have been running Porsche 911s forever) is a bit of a surprise! Multimatic will run the IMSA GTD Pro cars.

I'll keep an eye out for any other news coming through, and try to get some links for watching Le Mans up before the race as well.

harperdc fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Jun 9, 2023

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
I am currently in the village, took one for the team and got some Toyota merch. Last time I did the same in Monza, both Peugeot imploded.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

SlowBloke posted:

I am currently in the village, took one for the team and got some Toyota merch. Last time I did the same in Monza, both Peugeot imploded.
Welp, Peugeot is doomed.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Welp, Peugeot is doomed.

In Monza I purchased enough Peugeot kit I needed an extra bag to come back home. Me purchasing stuff from a brand is the worse luck you can get.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Shame no Sebring, and I'm sad no Monza/Silverstone but what can you do.

I'm sure if sportscars keep going up in a positive direction we'll get some more classic races back until the next bust period.

edit: I'm not sure how I feel about LMP/GT3am because I love Professional GT3 racing, but i'm sure it'll work out.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Jun 9, 2023

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

algebra testes posted:

edit: I'm not sure how I feel about LMP/GT3am because I love Professional GT3 racing, but i'm sure it'll work out.

If they don’t gently caress up the gte to gt3 migration the grid will have enough cars to compensate.

Edit: the weather is sorta going to poo poo so fun for you guys in on sofas.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

It may still require a lower-ranked driver but the LM GT3 class is going to absolutely be stacked with killers. Look at the brands we'll have in Hypercar that have an available GT3 platform (or will soon in the top case):

• Toyota
  • Ferrari
  • Porsche
  • Cadillac/GM
  • BMW
  • Lamborghini

Now look who I'm guessing would run that for each brand:

• Toyota - TBD
  • Ferrari - AF Corse
  • Porsche - Manthey?
  • GM - Corvette Racing
  • BMW - WRT
  • Lamborghini - Iron Lynx

And add in the following...

• Aston Martin - TF Sport and/or AMR?
  • Ford - Proton Competition
  • Mercedes???

It seems likely we'll get GT3 cars by the pairs, which means those will be factory-supported and setup to kill. There's a lot of quality there, even if they stuff a CEO or sneaky silver junior driver in.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Current live status: It’s lightly raining, stuff you would barely notice if not for electronics getting fried. Sky is cloudy, thunders and lightning have stopped being frightening a bit ago.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

SlowBloke posted:

Current live status: It’s lightly raining, stuff you would barely notice if not for electronics getting fried. Sky is cloudy, thunders and lightning have stopped being frightening a bit ago.
If you've got astraphobia, you're welcome to send the thunderstorms up here - I loving love 'em.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

If you've got astraphobia, you're welcome to send the thunderstorms up here - I loving love 'em.

It was an attempt of humor by way of queen but sure, you can have them all. I am already pissed enough on my own, I don’t need to add being fried due to my decathlon chair to the list.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Just scored an ACO grandstand ticket so looks like I've got a place to watch the start from now!

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005
Bit late to Dreamcast chat, but the Retro Fanzone at the circuit has what I’d guess is the game the commentators were talking about setup in their little games area.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

https://i.imgur.com/deTbJsv.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
gently caress yeah I am once again hype(rcar). Official FIA stream and a VPN still the best way to watch from Canada this year?