Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Isn't the doom style roguelike Jupiter hell? Or the original doomRL?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

ilmucche posted:

Isn't the doom style roguelike Jupiter hell? Or the original doomRL?

Jupiter Hell, that's right. I think maybe you're on Calypso station or something, I couldn't recall the name. Anyway if you're sort of on the fence about ARPGs it's different enough that it might land for you. Just a good game, regardless.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:

Hwurmp posted:

Off
Hylics

there's this one RPG or dungeon crawler I heard about months ago and only barely recall, where you're stuck in the underworld and your stats & abilities are represented by blotches of pigment

That would be Turgor/The Void, though it's more of a hardcore survival game than RPG.

I recommend Lunacid as a really great King's Field-style dungeon crawler. It's early access right now but still contains a hell of a lot of game with all kind of weirdness and secrets to discover.

SkeletonHero fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jun 8, 2023

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

EclecticTastes posted:

I find myself once again seeking Weird JRPGs, so hopefully some posters have various cult games they want to proselytize. But, of course, to be clear on what I mean by "Weird RPG", they usually fall into one of a few categories:

-RPGs with weird mechanics or mechanics that were way ahead of their time and thus maybe a little janky but also very charming (Live A Live, Treasure of the Rudra, Metal Max, Tengai Makyou Zero, moon, pretty much the entire SaGa franchise)

-RPGs with unusual narrative presentation or story structure (Live A Live, SaGa Frontier 2)

-Games with nontraditional settings compared to most RPGs (Live A Live, Laplace's Demon, Sweet Home, Anachronox, Adventures at Hourai High)

For platform, I can swing Switch/PC or any older Sega/Nintendo/Sony console up through the PS2 or handheld up through the PSP. Naturally, they'll need to be in English (so no Linda³ yet), but if they're fan-translated, I can work with that. And yes I've played Undertale, Lisa, and Jimmy and the Pulsating Mass. Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

Is the DS an option for you? If so Contact is definitely weird in both story and mechanics.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

SkeletonHero posted:

That would be Turgor/The Void, though it's more of a hardcore survival game than RPG.

no, this was an actual RPG with a party and turn-based combat and such

I really wish I could remember more about it, or even if I'm just muddling multiple games together

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Hwurmp posted:

no, this was an actual RPG with a party and turn-based combat and such

I really wish I could remember more about it, or even if I'm just muddling multiple games together

I found it. Brutal Orchestra

Never heard of it but it sounds rad.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

That's the one! Thank you.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

EclecticTastes posted:

I find myself once again seeking Weird JRPGs, so hopefully some posters have various cult games they want to proselytize. But, of course, to be clear on what I mean by "Weird RPG", they usually fall into one of a few categories:

-RPGs with weird mechanics or mechanics that were way ahead of their time and thus maybe a little janky but also very charming (Live A Live, Treasure of the Rudra, Metal Max, Tengai Makyou Zero, moon, pretty much the entire SaGa franchise)

-RPGs with unusual narrative presentation or story structure (Live A Live, SaGa Frontier 2)

-Games with nontraditional settings compared to most RPGs (Live A Live, Laplace's Demon, Sweet Home, Anachronox, Adventures at Hourai High)

You have to play Resonance of Fate. I'm the kind of person that's not in the target audience for JPRGers at all but Resonance of Fate was one of the two games that did manage to hold my interest long enough to finish it.

It's got a really loving cool combat system that I've never seen anywhere else ever again, and I wish someone would copy it. It also got one of those somewhat cryptic storylines where you will probably be confused most of the time but it also avoid a lot of Anime tropes so I actually enjoyed most of it.

Also this is what a well-built gun looks like in that game.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Jack Trades posted:

You have to play Resonance of Fate. I'm the kind of person that's not in the target audience for JPRGers at all but Resonance of Fate was one of the two games that did manage to hold my interest long enough to finish it.

It's got a really loving cool combat system that I've never seen anywhere else ever again, and I wish someone would copy it. It also got one of those somewhat cryptic storylines where you will probably be confused most of the time but it also avoid a lot of Anime tropes so I actually enjoyed most of it.

Also this is what a well-built gun looks like in that game.

This is the gunkata jrpg, right? It's really something, has some batshit insane systems

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

grate deceiver posted:

This is the gunkata jrpg, right? It's really something, has some batshit insane systems

Indeed. It's super fun.

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Will back the Resonance of Fate recommendation. Absolute blast and plays well on steam deck if you have one

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

ultrafilter posted:

8-Bit Adventures 1 and Brave Hero Yuusha EX are mechanically straightforward games that do some interesting things with their stories.

Blackout Hospital is the story of a hospital janitor trying to escape from an alternate dimension.

Child of Light plays like a fairytale and is a pretty popular pick.

EARTHLOCK is pretty unconventional in every respect.

For Evelyn has some RPG mechanics but it's pretty different.

The Harrowed is pretty bleak and definitely qualifies as unconventional.

Jack Move is a single character RPG with a cyberpunk setting that a lot of people liked. I didn't get very far but that's on me rather than the game.

LunarLux isn't out yet but based on the demo from a few years back it's worth keeping an eye on.

Pale Echoes is a moderately difficult puzzle game pretending to be a JRPG. Combat is completely deterministic, so the challenge is all about figuring out how to finish each encounter.

Rise of the Third Power is a political thriller set in a fantasy version of 1930s Europe with some interesting mechanics. The same devs did Ara Fell, a really fantastic game telling a classic tale of elves vs. vampires on an island floating in the sky.

Slimes is a story about two guys who hate each other with tight story/gameplay integration. Both characters have powerful abilities that come at the expense of the other, so there are a lot of tradeoffs in combat. It's hard enough that you need to be smart but not so hard that you need to be lucky.

This Way Madness Lies is about a team of magical girls who protect the worlds of Shakespeare's plays from the forces of chaos. It's surprisingly mechanically deep, and if you play on the hardest difficulty level you're going to have to spend some time figuring out every encounter. It's from the same dev team as Cosmic Star Heroine, which is probably the best indie JRPG out there.

Solid picks, I'll have to do some research on them. Admittedly, I have an easier time accessing games when they're very old and out of print (:yarr:), but I could do with hitting up Steam/GOG, as well.

Artelier posted:

High chance you've already played it, but just in case: Valkyrie Profile (PS1/PSP)

Hwurmp posted:

Off
Hylics

Eric the Mauve posted:

Have you played Mother 3?

Party Boat posted:

Is the DS an option for you? If so Contact is definitely weird in both story and mechanics.

With the exception of Hylics (which has very much shot up my list, having looked at the Steam Page, kinda reminds me of Space Funeral), I have played all of those, they're pretty good (OFF in particular was excellent, and Mother 3 is Mother 3 I don't think anyone needs me to point out that it's good).

anilEhilated posted:

Have you played Yakuza: Like a Dragon? That's a pretty unconventional setting for a JRPG.

Good catch, I'd forgotten that Like a Dragon shifts the series into full JRPG mechanics, definitely one to consider.

Jack Trades posted:

You have to play Resonance of Fate.

I didn't realize Resonance of Fate had gotten a PC port. I've played a bit of the Project X Zone games, so it's been on my radar. That said, I'll probably wait on it until I finally get a gamepad (on the other hand, given some of the other games I've played with mouse and keyboard...).

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's been a while since I've played jrpgs, I guess Valkyria Chronicles has a pretty unique system. I sure liked Megaman Battle Network a lot, and there hasn't really been anything similar to that in a while (and there was a whole remaster thing for the whole series recently).

I kinda fell out with JRPGs at some point because I like more kinesthetic gameplay. I guess Lost Kingdoms is another jrpg and extremely weird, but it's also Dark Souls with cards.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I watched Jack Move trailer and it looks extremely my poo poo. I love the art style and music.

Purple Monkey
May 5, 2014

:phone:Hello
I'm guessing the answer is no, but anyway, I love Mark of the Ninja but have long since given up hope of it ever receiving a sequel. Are the Assassin's Creed Chronicles games any good because they're the closest thing I've seen to another Mark of the Ninja?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Purple Monkey posted:

I'm guessing the answer is no, but anyway, I love Mark of the Ninja but have long since given up hope of it ever receiving a sequel. Are the Assassin's Creed Chronicles games any good because they're the closest thing I've seen to another Mark of the Ninja?

take a look at Gunpoint

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Purple Monkey posted:

Ronin is a cool little game which is very different in some ways but gives me the same vibe. There's also Deadbolt which I didn't like as much but a lot of people do

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Brother Tadger posted:

Strong opinions on best Diablo game or Diablo-like? Never played any of these games (not a huge fan of isometric games generally), but want to give it a try and see if I enjoy it.

Ummm, this may be really obvious, but I didn't see a bunch of posts after yours mention it. You know Diablo 4 just came out, right?

Totally get it if you are avoiding it because you hate Blizzard or whatever, but you didn't expressly say that or mention it in your post, so I just wanted to be sure you know it exists.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Hwurmp posted:

take a look at Gunpoint

and then Heat Signature, which builds on the systems-driven stealth action but top down and in space

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Heat Signature is amazing.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

are there any trad-ish roguelikes that have significant character building apart from TOME? i want to put points in skills, talent trees are cool, that kind of thing. tome is rad but i've played it to gently caress and im waiting for the next update. a lot of the other roguelikes i've tried don't really have "builds" and that's no fun for me

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

An Actual Princess posted:

are there any trad-ish roguelikes that have significant character building apart from TOME? i want to put points in skills, talent trees are cool, that kind of thing. tome is rad but i've played it to gently caress and im waiting for the next update. a lot of the other roguelikes i've tried don't really have "builds" and that's no fun for me

Most roguelikes have "builds" but they're usually expressed with items instead of skill trees.

If you want talens specifically some of the options could be, Jupiter Hell, Caves of Qud, Dungeonmans, Rift Wizard.
None of those have as sprawling skill trees as ToME but they're all great games that allow a good build variety.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Party Boat posted:

and then Heat Signature, which builds on the systems-driven stealth action but top down and in space

Super agree!

Heat Signature's greatest achievement is that it becomes more interesting when you gently caress up and get spotted. So many stealth games temporarily turn into boring hiding games once you're seen, but Heat Signature instead encourages you to pick up the pace and get creative with your tools, especially as the difficulty increases. Sometimes your improvisation results in Spelunky shenanigans, like an errant shotgun blast clips a fuel tank and the explosion throws you into space, but hey, looks like it led to a chain of explorations, one of which happened to launch your assassination target into space, too. Mission accomplished somehow!

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Heat Signature is where you play Hotline Miami against people playing FTL.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

Most roguelikes have "builds" but they're usually expressed with items instead of skill trees.

If you want talens specifically some of the options could be, Jupiter Hell, Caves of Qud, Dungeonmans, Rift Wizard.
None of those have as sprawling skill trees as ToME but they're all great games that allow a good build variety.

Seconding these, I bounce off a lot of Roguelikes because gear based progression doesn't really do it for me the way levelling choices do, but Jupiter Hell and Caves of Qud definitely hit the same spot as ToME. Tangledeep and (to a lesser extent, it's quite light) Sproggiwood as well

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Seconding these, I bounce off a lot of Roguelikes because gear based progression doesn't really do it for me the way levelling choices do, but Jupiter Hell and Caves of Qud definitely hit the same spot as ToME. Tangledeep and (to a lesser extent, it's quite light) Sproggiwood as well

If you think Sproggiwood was light, you haven't tried its hard mode.

That said, it's not a game about deep character builds. You get your class and weapon, and that's about it. But that makes sense because every character is only good for one 5-level-long dungeon anyway.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

If you think Sproggiwood was light, you haven't tried its hard mode.

That said, it's not a game about deep character builds. You get your class and weapon, and that's about it. But that makes sense because every character is only good for one 5-level-long dungeon anyway.

Fair, I bounced off it a bit, it's just one that came to mind but might be misremembering!

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

SkeletonHero posted:

I found it. Brutal Orchestra

Never heard of it but it sounds rad.

Hell and pigments does absolutely sound like Brutal Orchestra, and it's a fantastic game. However, note that it's like 99% combat. There's no big rpg story or anything. There is a weird narrative and some weird events (some leading to new characters), but at the end of the day, everything is in the service of the 1-5 characters vs 1-5 monsters on a 5-lane grid. Thankfully, that turn-based combat is excellent, with almost-perfect information about what monsters will do on their turn and a really neat twist with pigments adding a layer of resource management. Basically, you need pigments to use skills. You can fill in with pigments of the wrong colour, but at the cost of self-damage. And hitting a monster will give you pigments of that monsters colours. And finally, if you exceed the max safe pigment capacity, then you take pigment overflow damage at the end of turn. It takes a few runs to get your head around it at first, but then it's part of the decision making, expanding your options, as first hitting a monster of the right colour might be just what you need to power up the skill you need for another.

Great game at any rate, provided that one enjoys the art style. Also, screenshots don't carry how good the soundtrack is, with occasional hilarious alterations as some musical instrument looking monsters spawn or die and said instrument gets added/removed from the soundtrack.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Weird and esoteric request - there are a lot of games that use top-down camera angles, but how many games heavily utilize low angles looking upward? Not just games where you can look up, but games where the majority of your time is spent looking upward, where that's the main positioning of the camera.

The closest thing I've been able to come up with is Skate, which isn't even primarily upward-facing but does feature lots of low angles.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

You spend a lot of time looking up in Shadow of the Colossus?

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

deep dish peat moss posted:

Weird and esoteric request - there are a lot of games that use top-down camera angles, but how many games heavily utilize low angles looking upward? Not just games where you can look up, but games where the majority of your time is spent looking upward, where that's the main positioning of the camera.

The closest thing I've been able to come up with is Skate, which isn't even primarily upward-facing but does feature lots of low angles.

You get a lot of low angles in Killer7. Lots of other funky angles, too.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Grow Home?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
It's been a while but the classic Resident Evils might apply. Every room had its own camera angle, and if I remember more than a few were low origin, looking upward.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

deep dish peat moss posted:

Earth Defense Force, kind of

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Depending on how you define your directions relative to everything around you, you could argue that a lot of 3D space flight games spend most of the time moving and facing 'up'.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

What even is up, you know?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Okami has some updog camera angles

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Natsuiro High School is a videogame about extremely low angle camera shots.

That's what you meant?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

oh no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Those girls need to stop gossiping, help that poor guy up, and take him to a hospital!