Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Some interesting tidbits in here.
https://twitter.com/matthewstoller/status/1666640990336106498?t=DrMrnXHhvnDbfJyxa8_jbg&s=19

South America is ours!
https://twitter.com/ryangrim/status/1666495086996119553?t=Hf4CoWoCC8aEAXcbtJYFeg&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Our backyard should be neat and tidy!

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

lol they're going to cause an economic implosion with the student loan payment restart and blame it on Sleepy Joe

and they would be correct, it’s him and his shithead administration that wants the payments restarted

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I’m glad Joe gets the blame

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

He did tell us all that he doesn't give a gently caress about young people

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Work requirements for current medicare and social security recipients.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

it's been a long running project for some time. from October '22:

webcams for christ posted:

the Bond Market has forced the first ever Leftist president of Colombia to change course:

https://twitter.com/BloombergAsia/status/1583120657508102144

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

UKJeff posted:

If high schools treated skilled trades as an equally viable option to college, it wouldn’t be as much of an issue. Instead, if you don’t want to go to college or can’t, you’re pretty much left to fend for yourself

This take feels 10 years out of date. College enrollment has been on a steady decline as more young people aren't bothering anymore.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

webcams for christ posted:

it's been a long running project for some time. from October '22:

Yep. The bond thing was used to whip Colombia into softening or getting rid of progressive changes.

Apr 7, 2003

SKULL.GIF posted:

This take feels 10 years out of date. College enrollment has been on a steady decline as more young people aren't bothering anymore.

also states withdrawing financial support from their universities, which is causing costs to skyrocket

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Woke Mind Virus posted:

Lmao at more income = more likely to default

It follows that UofC study that said high credit score people took out additional debt during the pause while everyone else was mostly unchanged

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

I know people who I thought were financially secure who are panicking over this so, uh, yeah, I'm thinking it might be worse than expected. New IBR rules gotta do a lot of heavy lifting or a ton of people are going to get wrecked.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
Can't afford your loan payment? Just buy 400 less avocado toasts this month and watch the money roll in.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Ardennes posted:

There are high paying manual labor jobs out there as well, but there are great and all until you throw out your back at 42.

high paying manual labor jobs are practically non-existent. the only real way to make good money in trades is to be the business owner

i guess it's also possible if you're an independent contractor in some small town and have no competition or something, idk

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
IRB is a scam though, and you will be paying off those loans forever.

There are jobs like being gutting fish in Alaska that technically pay well but they are some grueling it is hardly worth it.

Apr 7, 2003

It's impossible to get a contractor here to do work around your house because nobody goes into those jobs anymore because you can't live a decent living on what they pay.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Ardennes posted:

IRB is a scam though, and you will be paying off those loans forever.

Who cares, though? Eternal student loans with an affordable (or no) payment beats missing other bills because you went to college.

Like there are literally people out there who took out mortgages thanks to the student loan pause.

Paradoxish has issued a correction as of 15:46 on Jun 8, 2023

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

IRB is simply a lifetime "so you decided to go to college, did ya" tax nowadays

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Paradoxish posted:

Who cares, though? Eternal student loans with an affordable (or no) payment beats missing other bills because you went to college.

Like there are literally people out there who took out mortgages thanks to the student loan pause.

It just means people will now see 15% of their discretionary disappear forever on top of every other cost inflating as much as possible. It won’t collapse society but just make it even more miserable.

People aren’t going to college usually because they have other plum jobs lined up, they just simply can’t afford it even with loans.

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

It's impossible to get a contractor here to do work around your house because nobody goes into those jobs anymore because you can't live a decent living on what they pay.

Lots of builders and tradesmen make a ton of money they're just booked out with people willing to pay more than you

The real bitch of the wealth gap is the service economy shifting to whales

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Paradoxish posted:

My friend did this even though I asked him multiple times if he was sure it was a good idea

He's panic applying to other jobs for a pay raise rn

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Nonsense posted:

its a good bet. i just don't see crypto "going away"

although ai is a great spin-off grift these crypto freaks can try to pursue, they have graphics cards by the bushel already

Why wouldn't Gemini be the one to survive? They've gotten through all this mostly unscathed

Ardennes posted:

It just means people will now see 15% of their discretionary disappear forever on top of every other cost inflating as much as possible. It won’t collapse society but just make it even more miserable.

People aren’t going to college usually because they have other plum jobs lined up, they just simply can’t afford it even with loans.

A lot hangs on the balance of whether the discretionary income re-definition goes through at the same time. I think it's all gonna get hosed up and people are going to panic for a few months.
Just did the math and average income for college grad in IL (37,419) with the new FPL*2.25 formula works out to $38/mo for a single person. Biden needs to get this poo poo in place sooner rather than later.

trevorreznik has issued a correction as of 15:58 on Jun 8, 2023

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

im_sorry posted:

Someone needs to get one of those old MP3 players, fill it full of AI generated strings of swears, and tape the headphones to the device's microphone.

the ai has been trained to only understand a duke nukem soundboard repeating “balls of steel”

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Business Gorillas posted:

My friend did this even though I asked him multiple times if he was sure it was a good idea

He's panic applying to other jobs for a pay raise rn

I know who a couple who did this and had a baby in the same time period and I feel incredibly bad for them because they're just balls of pure anxiety right now.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

56% plan to default should have been the headline iyam

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
i CANNOT PAY THEM BACK, sorry

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Paradoxish posted:

I know people who I thought were financially secure who are panicking over this so, uh, yeah, I'm thinking it might be worse than expected. New IBR rules gotta do a lot of heavy lifting or a ton of people are going to get wrecked.

new ibr rules are stuck at the Supreme Court afaict

maybe not

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

I view this more as the Pentagon being afraid of what will happen when the Chudges kill the FDA

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Half of student loan borrowers planning on default is a catastrophic indictment of US society even without any additional knock-on effects

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

euphronius posted:

new ibr rules are stuck at the Supreme Court afaict

maybe not

The lack of any messaging on this is kind of incredible. The new rules are complete gamechangers

edit: Oh yeah, the chart makes even more sense with the new rules, because the lower income people will have tiny payments and the higher ones still get whacked

trevorreznik has issued a correction as of 16:02 on Jun 8, 2023

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

PoundSand posted:

the ai has been trained to only understand a duke nukem soundboard repeating “balls of steel”

blow it out your rear end

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

the 2 biggest reasons I expatriated the US are for health insurance and to literally never make a student loan payment again. gently caress that

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Paradoxish posted:

Half of student loan borrowers planning on default is a catastrophic indictment of US society even without any additional knock-on effects

Personal Responsibility rates are going to be rising through the roof!

Apr 7, 2003

"You agreed to pay the loan back when you took it out, cope" says small business tyrant who had a six figure PPP loan written off

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

SourKraut posted:

I view this more as the Pentagon being afraid of what will happen when the Chudges kill the FDA

generic drugs from lockheed would be cheap, they said

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.
Did anyone else have the TEPSLF work out for them? I just found out I had all my loans forgiven.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yes I got my wife's forgiven through that.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Deliberately destroying the economy to enforce moral hazard on school loan borrowers if loving wild. It really rubs in everyone's face just how little political power we actually have.

Apr 7, 2003

Nothus posted:

Deliberately destroying the economy to enforce moral hazard on school loan borrowers if loving wild. It really rubs in everyone's face just how little political power we actually have.

It's cool, when a bunch of people default on mortgages and have to sell other assets to make ends meet, the capitalist class will be there to scoop everything up at fire sale prices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

https://twitter.com/ryangrim/status/1666814246414618632?t=9-BR285lnplQe8JJ7xmC5w&s=19