Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

May 11, 2007

Contains Carbon Monoxide

Mr Hootington posted:

Links to proof? Or is this just you seeing people changing their current job?

Fair point - nothing official but seeing employees from those companies posting about layoffs happening today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Throb Robinson posted:

Alot of my upper middle class friends have no idea how to control their spending at all.

there is an income point where they don’t have to think about it. that’s real dangerous to do.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Glumwheels posted:

A flat of local strawberries purchased from the farm is now $60, up from $30 last summer. Help it make sense.

plant matter is price gouging the agribusiness firms, they have no choice man

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

https://www.reddit.com/r/apolloapp/comments/144f6xm/apollo_will_close_down_on_june_30th_reddits/

rip

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

Shear Modulus posted:

Is this the biden 10k thing? i thought that was still in limbo until roberts gets around to killing it

No, this is from the public service loan forgiveness program, specifically the temporary expansion of it that ended on Oct. 31 of last year.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

err posted:

i watched some homeless cleanup recently and it's crazy

15 city workers standing around watching 1 worker go through blankets and picking up trash with a grabber while getting yelled at by the people living there. and they do spot cleaning so the people living there just walk 50 feet away and set up their stuff just outside of the area and move back after they leave

it's totally ineffective

If some of those 15 city workers aren't cops they will be soon

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Bar Ran Dun posted:

there is an income point where they don’t have to think about it. that’s real dangerous to do.

i posted about this before but yeah. after a certain number theres just "things you realistically want to do" vs "income you have" and if the former is significantly lower than the latter, your brain goes full "how much could a banana be, 10 dollars?" when youre poor every decision has an additional calculation layered on top of it.

something thats happening now is people who could do this before no longer can due to inflation, which is why you see a lot of higher income individuals living paycheck to paycheck or missing payments all of a sudden.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Except when it comes to housing lol

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

good, gently caress reddit

aren't they going public later this year

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

good, gently caress reddit

aren't they going public later this year

yup

my understanding is that they’re also going easy on bot blocking to pump the numbers

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

sure feels like centralizing the internet onto like 4 websites might have been a bad idea

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Zokari posted:

sure feels like centralizing the internet onto like 4 websites might have been a bad idea

the impossible is possible at zombo com

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Zokari posted:

Can't let the little people have their independent town squares where they can openly criticize the ruling class.

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

David Byrne - Like Humans Do (Radio Edit).mp3
Was checking out examples for a Javascript chart library I wanted to use, and :lol: at this one someone made and published a couple years ago, starting year defaulting to 2018. I'm sure it looked a lot different when they published it.

(Setting it to starting in 2020 gives a -48% return on BTC)

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Glumwheels posted:

A flat of local strawberries purchased from the farm is now $60, up from $30 last summer. Help it make sense.

Store-bought strawberries may be double or triple that now (converting from pints or whatever to flat-equivalent price). What are you going to do? $60 is still a "good" price. Besides the farmers have increased costs, too, from fertilizer to water to electricity to gasoline/deisel.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
some more shrinkflation round-up to go with the previous 2 posts: to go with my previous Shrinkflation #1 Post Shrinkflation Post #2

saving the planet by making less plastic.... and cutting costs :twisted:

mid rear end pasta sauce

filling up shelves with the smaller bags

science diet petfood rebalancing their weight because your pets need to go on a diet.

not shrink but just an incredibly stupid decision bc soda is like hfcs and water which is free.

that's just what pineapples are these days

same great container and taste, less calories

$12 KFC chicken sandwich, now a chicken nugget on a bun

DiGorno pizzas are now 50% less calories!

drake no: 12 pack
drake yes: 8 pack

the new Normal for a full-size candy bar

because all the food is smaller, you need to poo poo ticket less.

white clawing off 5 oz

buy 2 kfc qurritos and get 2 half qurritos instead

now including extra cardboard instead of a product

coffee going extinct

MORE! For your money!

even the cheap rear end vitamin industry getting in on the gig

backpackers need to optimize their weight anyways, so this is good because that means they have to carry less weight.

lol at uk buying products called rashers. hives rear end country

everyone is sick less right??

products in the 1970s

Xaris has issued a correction as of 19:47 on Jun 8, 2023

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

703 posted:

Fair point - nothing official but seeing employees from those companies posting about layoffs happening today

I just got laid off today

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

KirbyKhan posted:

that sucks, I'm sorry Kirby

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
It's after 90 day probation period onboarding so Imma get my pound of flesh from that coward who couldn't justify our spot on the budget. gently caress!

Broadlybrowsing
Jul 5, 2021
I noticed that the deli made container of guacamole is almost $8 now, and I was grumbling to myself and then realized the conservatives were right about millennials

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

KirbyKhan posted:

sorry to hear that. do you touch computers

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Digiornos are now like 8 bucks too now.

Inflation only 5% though!

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Never been a better time to just buy less poo poo in general. I've taken up gardening, growing herbs like basil and oregano for now with plans for more staple crops next year. WinCo sells decent coffee bean for like $10 bucks a pound. I've largely stopped consuming crap like soda and candy.

Oh and weed, definitely going to grow lots of weed.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

anime was right posted:

i posted about this before but yeah. after a certain number theres just "things you realistically want to do" vs "income you have" and if the former is significantly lower than the latter, your brain goes full "how much could a banana be, 10 dollars?" when youre poor every decision has an additional calculation layered on top of it.

something thats happening now is people who could do this before no longer can due to inflation, which is why you see a lot of higher income individuals living paycheck to paycheck or missing payments all of a sudden.

Hi, this is me. I used to be able to swipe anything I wanted (nothing exorbitant, but definitely without a care). I'd check my balance every few days and if I was getting low I'd curb my spending, but individual prices never were a real concern.

If I wanted it, I got it. Again, mostly small stuff like a soda, takeout, filling the gas tank. Whenever I needed something, I didn't think twice.

Now? I'm broke. Overdraft fee broke.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
it's cool not being able to afford things like eating or housing

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

lol

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

KirbyKhan posted:

Sorry for your job loss.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Xaris posted:

sorry to hear that. do you touch computers

I do touch computers

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

lol those 70s groceries were huge. huge boxes, cans

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

KirbyKhan posted:

:glomp:

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
The US in the 60s: "Look at all this oatmeal you can buy for a nickel, isn't capitalism great!"

The US in the 2020s: "Starvation builds character"

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Kibbles n Shits posted:

The US in the 60s: "Look at all this oatmeal you can buy for a nickel, isn't capitalism great!"

The US in the 2020s: "Have you considered merely eating less?"

well it's our fault because we didn't appreciate it enough. we took our surplus for granted and weren't grateful enough for it and that's why it's going away and it's all our fault.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

skooma512 posted:

Digiornos are now like 8 bucks too now.

Inflation only 5% though!

Not only that but you can't find "large" Digiorno's anymore. They've shrunk from feeds-4-grown-adults to might-feed-3-hungry-children. AND gone from $5 to over $8. It's heinous.

We went from $5 for the largest frozen pizza available in supermarkets to $8 for Red Baron portions.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

KirbyKhan posted:

sorry to hear that mate

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Yeah but if you average that out with plane tickets and TVs and then take out food entirely inflation is only 5%

KirbyKhan posted:

condolences

Xpforr
Sep 7, 2022

KirbyKhan posted:

:d2a:

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

euphronius posted:

huge boxes, cans

enough with the horny in c-spam

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
c stands for "big honking cans"-spam

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Xaris posted:

because all the food is smaller, you need to poo poo ticket less.

It says a lot about you that you use paper towels as toilet paper! :twisted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

anonumos posted:

Not only that but you can't find "large" Digiorno's anymore. They've shrunk from feeds-4-grown-adults to might-feed-3-hungry-children. AND gone from $5 to over $8. It's heinous.

We went from $5 for the largest frozen pizza available in supermarkets to $8 for Red Baron portions.

Costco frozen pizza is pretty good but also so are their ready-made pies from the window if you want to eat cheap. If I have time, I’m only going to order good pizza from a small local joint. No more papa Murphy’s either after I paid $30 for two mini kids pizzas and a medium pepperoni. The kids made their own drat pizza and we baked all 3 at home!

Something has to give soon, it’s just not sustainable anymore at these prices. We’ll bail out these businesses before we bail out families, though.