Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Megazver posted:

Disco-likes

Pretty cool if this becomes a genre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
In 10 years will it elicit the same visceral reaction as the term 'souls-like'?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Insurrectionist posted:

Judging by those screenshots, absolutely. Seeing a alot of mimicry of the form but much shakier on the content

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Insurrectionist posted:

We already have a term for "Disco-likes" it's cRPG.

I'm glad that self contained character RPGs are making a bit of a comeback, so I'm ok with forgiving the obvious influence.

Another side of this is that DE shows that people really do want solid cRPG games still, and since ZAUM has created a space, and then created a vacuum in that space, people are going to try to fill that niche. Everything was a Doom-clone until we got Quake and the term became FPS. Hell, Doom itself was a refined system based on Wolfenstein 3D. An entire generation of games boil down to "lets just reskin Doom and write our own story". And that covers everything from Duke Nukem to Shadow Warrior to Hexen, games that are still getting remakes and sequels.

I'm honestly surprised we haven't seen any (that I've found) straight up fan games trying to 100%, with no ambiguity or shame, fan games in the DE world. I kinda expected it by now. Though I guess fan games are harder to do than just writing a 50,000 word fan fiction about Harry and Kim moving to the country to be gay farmers.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Crain posted:

We already have a term for "Disco-likes" it's cRPG.

Disco is closer to a traditional adventure game with a improved dialogue system added than a cRPG.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Disco is closer to a traditional adventure game with a improved dialogue system added than a cRPG.

It's a CRPG with no combat, which is a split that's been long overdue imo

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

There’s multiple ways to unlock/bypass doors so it must be an imm sim.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

No Dignity posted:

And yet it somehow has some of the tensest encounters I've ever played in an RPG

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

That depends I think it’s closer to games like Gabriel Knight or Police Quest or Phantasmagoria than to something like Neverwinter Nights or Baldurs Gate or even the Quest for Glory games.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

No Dignity posted:

There's combat, just extremely, extremely limited combat. Which in a weird way makes it some of the most realistic combat in almost any video game. Real fights are not 12 round boxing matches or drawn out slug fests with multiple stages. You just get your rear end kicked in a few punches or a random swing catches someone's chin and it's over in 12 seconds. Real shoot outs aren't long encounters with tactics and swapping gear. They go off and everyone just mag dumps till people run away or everyone's dead.

Having the simple few instances of physical violence be both (mostly) optional and disastrous in how brief they are adds to how DE feels so real.

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

And yet it somehow has some of the tensest encounters I've ever played in an RPG

DE fans be like "drat, I gotta prep my healing items and meds, got a real intense paragraph coming up".

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Fruits of the sea posted:

There’s multiple ways to unlock/bypass doors so it must be an imm sim.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006
Fukalll

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

Yeah, turns out when you don't reduce violence to a rote abstraction it actually has impact. Hard to take life and death stakes seriously when you're randomly killing rooms of dudes as a core gameplay mechanic

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I think that’s the biggest reason I class it adventure. Combat as abstraction and core gameplay loop is pretty fundamental to o cRPGs

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

you can play petanque, disco elysium is a sports game

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Well, I dunno if you "play" petanque as much as you "ruin a game of" petanque

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

fancy stats posted:

you can play petanque throw shot put, disco elysium is a sports game

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Youremother posted:

Well, I dunno if you "play" petanque as much as you "ruin a game of" petanque

You can do the clean and jerk, Disco Elysium is an Olympics game.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

actually it's a management game about developing a run down coastal village into a vibrant community by establishing youth centres, nightclubs etc

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
that clam game looks fun

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
I want a Sam & Max Disco Elysium mashup.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Animal-Mother posted:

God there's a lot of potential there.

Max as an innocence

The War Song , but for operation death blow

Sam getting trapped on Evart's chair while he blabbers peevishly at him

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

christmas boots posted:

lmao "I'm respecting your culture"

It's so cool of you to apologize for colonialism, officer!

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Animal-Mother posted:

Holy poo poo

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts
disco fans with Abilities: i just want a driving simulation game where you play as an alcoholic suruese rally driver escaping an entroponetic catastrophe in a motor carriage that's not fit for purpose. make it happen

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

It's clearly a pinball game sim.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
It's a music game.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

armpit_enjoyer posted:

disco fans with Abilities: i just want a driving simulation game where you play as an alcoholic suruese rally driver escaping an entroponetic catastrophe in a motor carriage that's not fit for purpose. make it happen

This game already exists, it’s called Darkest Dungeon 2

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Crain posted:

Harry and Kim moving to the country to be gay farmers.
I haven’t checked but I’d bet money there’s a Stardew Valley mod for this

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Replace the community center with the doomed commercial area and the Joja mart with Whirling while you are at it.

E: scratch it, Garter is obviously Pierre

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I’m not a shopkeeper, I’m a grocery manager

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

steinrokkan posted:

Replace the community center with the doomed commercial area and the Joja mart with Whirling while you are at it.

E: scratch it, Garter is obviously Pierre

Joja is Frittte, though.

Getting the Paledriver to take you to the desert.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Wafflecopper posted:

This game already exists, it’s called Darkest Dungeon 2

lmao. It's pretty much that

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Organic Lube User posted:

Joja is Frittte, though.

Getting the Paledriver to take you to the desert.

Pale-ale-driver

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

My Pale-aged vodka business is really starting to pay off!

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
My first game, I couldn't pass the check to get the low-down from Joyce and Kim got mad at me for trying to wake up the paledriver, so the only thing I knew about the pale was in some pseudoscientific book that mentioned aging booze in the pale and and walking around naked, so I pretty much assumed it was like, stumbling on a book about orgone energy irl.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I've got a friend playing through the game who was instantly committed to the Union, so he ghosted Joyce and never investigated the truckers. He's probably going to end the game without knowing a thing about the Pale.

It's interesting for a game as openly leftist as it is, you might literally not understand the basic nature of the world unless you leave yourself vulnerable in front of an arch-capitalist.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I'm going to have to take a rain check on my post about DE's issues, there's too many (forums) things I've got on the backburner (I still haven't gotten around to continuing my effortposts about the linguistic reform in 19th century Serbia in another thread), I want to do Disco Elysium justice and I just don't have the focus for it right now.

Eiba posted:

It's interesting for a game as openly leftist as it is, you might literally not understand the basic nature of the world unless you leave yourself vulnerable in front of an arch-capitalist.

Yeah, it's got more than one element like this. Although, it's not something I actually want to criticize it too much for, due to the intended audience thing I talked about before.

I general, the game doesn't hesitate to lock you out of things you didn't need to hear anyway. However, there are, for lack of a better word, interlocking safety nets of sorts everywhere. The person who makes themselves vulnerable in front of an arch-capitalist is going to get a reality lowdown. :v:

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

wyoming posted:

My first game, I couldn't pass the check to get the low-down from Joyce and Kim got mad at me for trying to wake up the paledriver, so the only thing I knew about the pale was in some pseudoscientific book that mentioned aging booze in the pale and and walking around naked, so I pretty much assumed it was like, stumbling on a book about orgone energy irl.

Same here. I never learned much about it, other than what was in that book in the bookstore and a few odd references in a conversation or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
You can change your characters wardrobe and go on dates. Disco Elysium is an early 00's newgrounds dating sim.