Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Hopefully they get special servers or "play the game" day seems like it might be a bust for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Kaddish posted:

I don't see why you'd have to, the points carry over. I don't remember how much xp it is, is it a lot? Otherwise eh.

But wait, the person I quoted said the points wont carry over. I am so confused now lol. May I please have an official source? I couldn't find anything on Google. And what I mean is, what I do pre-season, as in right now, does that renown, and lilith bonuses, carry over in season 1? I see so many people on reddit, D4 discords, and the official forums, that are confused by this.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

So what classes are people finding the most fun to play? I’ve almost always run Barbarian followed by wizard/sorcerer so I’m trying Necromancer to break out of my usuals. I’m only level 18 but I’m just not feeling the click like I would with blowing poo poo up with magic or the meaty thump of sending bones hurtling into the sun with Barbarian

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Zelmel posted:

My unfortunately passed less than a year ago boy Archie (Archimedes), for our pet posts while the servers are hosed. Bowel cancer is bullshit, plz nerf.

Also, anyone have wild speculation for additional D4 classes after the inevitable Paladin/Crusader type?

Sorry to hear about Archie, looks like a good unit.

I'm hoping for something completely new - all of the D4 line up are old standbys, would be good to mix things up.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
music is so good, calming but evil. wanna use the soundtrack to make a haunted house. wanna use the soundtrack to fall asleep and induce nightmares

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.
They can probably grill their burgers over the servers as they are melting into a glowing pile of slag.

Also by 'play the game' I think they just mean 'drink and not sexually harass anyone'

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Substandard posted:

Hopefully they get special servers or "play the game" day seems like it might be a bust for them.

I think devs usually get their own private server for this stuff. I recall a Blizzard employee saying that WoW devs get their own developer server. Friends I know at Bungie, have said they get a private server for Destiny 2, that is just the game everyone else plays but with developer commands enabled.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Dr. VooDoo posted:

So what classes are people finding the most fun to play? I’ve almost always run Barbarian followed by wizard/sorcerer so I’m trying Necromancer to break out of my usuals. I’m only level 18 but I’m just not feeling the click like I would with blowing poo poo up with magic or the meaty thump of sending bones hurtling into the sun with Barbarian

What build? Necro is pretty good at bone hurtling too

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
Protip: Dude's name is Jay Wilson.

I said come in! posted:

But wait, the person I quoted said the points wont carry over. I am so confused now lol. May I please have an official source? I couldn't find anything on Google. And what I mean is, what I do pre-season, as in right now, does that renown, and lilith bonuses, carry over in season 1?
If you look at the renown rewards screen, it spells out that the skill point and potion rewards are given to all characters immediately while the gold rewards require each individual character to acquire the renown.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

All the renown stuff that matters carries over character to character, skill points, potion slots, etc.

Only the gold and XP don't.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

I said come in! posted:

But wait, the person I quoted said the points wont carry over. I am so confused now lol. May I please have an official source? I couldn't find anything on Google. And what I mean is, what I do pre-season, as in right now, does that renown, and lilith bonuses, carry over in season 1? I see so many people on reddit, D4 discords, and the official forums, that are confused by this.

People are confused because there are no official statements, we know absolutely nothing about how the seasons will work. It's all speculation.

Tenacious J
Nov 20, 2002

InventorOfTrees
Dec 13, 2013

Noted Psycho Poster Panda Clue
He Dreams of Pancakes
And So Should You

Vulpes posted:

They can probably grill their burgers over the servers as they are melting into a glowing pile of slag.

Also by 'play the game' I think they just mean 'drink and not sexually harass anyone'

Getting big "management decided to throw a pizza party instead of giving anyone a raise" vibes tbh

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

I said come in! posted:

They've officially said lilith altars carry over but I don't think they've said anything about the renown bonuses (the skill pt / + potion / + paragon points ones). I'm hoping the renown does as well but I don't think they've said anything one way or the other about it.

edit: source for the altars

bio347 posted:

If you look at the renown rewards screen, it spells out that the skill point and potion rewards are given to all characters immediately while the gold rewards require each individual character to acquire the renown.

Those are "per realm." So eternal (softcore non-seasonal) is a realm, and they have confirmed some of this stuff carries over to season 1 (which will be its own realm). But they haven't confirmed everything.

Clocks fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jun 8, 2023

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I am playing a necromancer minion build, and I am winging it and figuring things out all on my own, instead of following a fextralife or minmax.gg build. The content creator builds out there weren't very fun to me, so I came up with something that uses army of the dead, and iron maiden to compliment golem and 11 - 12 skeletons.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

I said come in! posted:

We know for certain it carries over to other characters. The only question really is if they will sequester seasonal characters from this current behavior. The assumption is it will work as it does now.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Good Citizen posted:

What build? Necro is pretty good at bone hurtling too

I don’t really have a build going just trying everything out, so that might be why. I can’t figure out what abilities are best to currently string together

InventorOfTrees
Dec 13, 2013

Noted Psycho Poster Panda Clue
He Dreams of Pancakes
And So Should You

bio347 posted:

I was definitely talking about Chris Wilson.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I don’t really have a build going just trying everything out, so that might be why. I can’t figure out what abilities are best to currently string together

Bone spear is one of the best leveling builds in the game rn

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!
I Had A Pair Of Boots That Had Two Dodge Charges And Now They Are Gone: A memoir of my suffering.

I held onto them for as long as I could. Good rolls, and a nice legendary affix. But it had to be replaced ...

Morbus
May 18, 2004

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

picture this: it's 2001, and you're doing hell Baal runs with your Javazon. everything is going great. you've downed all the minibosses before the worldstone chamber, and now you're going in with everyone. baal is dying super fast, but he's killed some level 50-something sorc, and the bear druid keeps hitting the fake baals, not the real ones. but it's whatever, because before you know it, baal's at like 2% life when suddenly, out of nowhere, a bunch of bone walls go up, separating you and everyone else from all the drops. some rear end in a top hat necro scoops everything up and leaves the game.

His name?

xXWhoopiXx

you got loving goldberg'ed

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

euphronius posted:

I don’t know what the percentages were but there was def non set builds in the Meta

Some LoD builds in D3 remain the best variants for their respective classes, e.g. Fire Bell Monk and all flavors of Necro.

Zelmel
Sep 17, 2004

O brain new world, that has such ganglia in't!

Rev. Melchisedech Howler posted:

Sorry to hear about Archie, looks like a good unit.

I'm hoping for something completely new - all of the D4 line up are old standbys, would be good to mix things up.

Yeah, I'm really hoping for something that isn't just Monk or WD or whatever again. I want at least some outer coating of a new class.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
ignore this guy. i want monk and WD again

Jaytan
Dec 14, 2003

Childhood enlistment means fewer birthdays to remember

I said come in! posted:

Not a source, but I think it’s reasonable to extrapolate that seasonal/permanent gap will work like hardcore/eternal currently. Which is to say: the renown rewards, and Lilith statues don’t carry over.

Hopefully this is wrong because the amount of power provided relative to how uncompelling the content is to do is staggering. I don’t want to do a lap around the world for 10 levels worth of skill points, 5 levels worth of paragon points and a giant pile of stats. I’m here to click demons!

Jaytan fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jun 8, 2023

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

picture this: it's 2001, and you're doing hell Baal runs with your Javazon. everything is going great. you've downed all the minibosses before the worldstone chamber, and now you're going in with everyone. baal is dying super fast, but he's killed some level 50-something sorc, and the bear druid keeps hitting the fake baals, not the real ones. but it's whatever, because before you know it, baal's at like 2% life when suddenly, out of nowhere, a bunch of bone walls go up, separating you and everyone else from all the drops. some rear end in a top hat necro scoops everything up and leaves the game.

His name?

xXWhoopiXx

you got loving goldberg'ed

lmao

AllNewJonasSalk
Apr 22, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Apparently today is The Summer Games Fest and I wouldn’t have known if these servers didn’t poo poo themselves. I sense a conspiracy.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I played a bone spear necro up into the 50s , and he is pretty good, but I'm probably having more fun playing a flurry rogue who I've got up into the 30s already. Mostly because they can run very fast and flurry with the 360 degree essence is pretty fun.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
i had heard that lilith carried over and it was the only thing that did, but that does make it a little questionable because obviously lilith statues give renown. personally if i have to do lilith statues every league i will sigh very deeply, try to do it, give up halfway through the first zone and stop playing like 2 days into every league.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
You have the new Diablo game loaded, just picked up your favorite snacks and have nowhere to be bc the air is orange from all the wildfire smoke choking your city. You start up Diablo and try to enjoy your evening. Your snacks are 2/3 their former size bc of something called shrinkflation, which you don’t understand. Diablo won’t load. It’s a $70 game that’s live service for some reason and the servers won’t load. You are 39 years old. The year is 2023. You sigh in disappointment and hope you won’t wake up tomorrow.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

So while we're waiting: how do I play rogue good? I'm not interested in specific, detailed builds, but I rather I feel that I can't quite get the rhythm down. I just started a rogue alt so I'm not far in, but I feel I should have the generate->single target/group damage->mitigate/utility cycle figured out, but nothing feels quite right.

Ah what a beaut.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
I'd guess that the Lilith statues will be collectable again per season for xp and renown (so optional), but that the stat boosts will carry over from finding them previously.

Jaytan
Dec 14, 2003

Impermanent posted:

i had heard that lilith carried over and it was the only thing that did, but that does make it a little questionable because obviously lilith statues give renown. personally if i have to do lilith statues every league i will sigh very deeply, try to do it, give up halfway through the first zone and stop playing like 2 days into every league.

The stat bonus can carry over without the renown. In fact it already works this way: if you make a new character they start with the bonus stats, but you can still click the statue for 10 renown.

Zelmel
Sep 17, 2004

Relentlessboredomm posted:

You have the new Diablo game loaded, just picked up your favorite snacks and have nowhere to be bc the air is orange from all the wildfire smoke choking your city. You start up Diablo and try to enjoy your evening. Your snacks are 2/3 their former size bc of something called shrinkflation, which you don’t understand. Diablo won’t load. It’s a $70 game that’s live service for some reason and the servers won’t load. You are 39 years old. The year is 2023. You sigh in disappointment and hope you won’t wake up tomorrow.

I'm only 36, but otherwise this is too real (except I don't have chips in front of me right now, instead it's gin because lol pandemic). Also I'm a corporate whore who bought the ultimate digital whatever version so $70 lol. Also I need to wake up tomorrow because WORK AND PRODUCTIVITY.

For real though, how is post-campaign new character stuff? Is there a good pipeline to level other classes, or is it just "go do sidequests or whatever"? Something equivalent to the various portal types from D3 adventure mode?

Jaytan
Dec 14, 2003

Rev. Melchisedech Howler posted:

I'd guess that the Lilith statues will be collectable again per season for xp and renown (so optional), but that the stat boosts will carry over from finding them previously.

The problem for me is the paragon points. You can’t just run dungeons to get the 2000 renown needed for each zone, and repeating quests or Lilith statues is just tedious content I don’t think anyone wants to engage with multiple times.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I'm hoping that maybe the seasonal content provides alternate means of getting renown

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Hmm...

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

this game has the weirdest, most broken login queues Ive seen. Didn't Blizzard invent login queues??

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Jaytan posted:

The problem for me is the paragon points. You can’t just run dungeons to get the 2000 renown needed for each zone, and repeating quests or Lilith statues is just tedious content I don’t think anyone wants to engage with multiple times.

Yeah, I don't think they're going to just not have the renown system in seasons, but I really hope they change it to be less points to unlock everything so it's more of a choice and you can just do it with the dungeons and exploration or side quests if you really like side quests for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zelmel
Sep 17, 2004

Flavahbeast posted:

this game has the weirdest, most broken login queues Ive seen. Didn't Blizzard invent login queues??

And they never perfected them because perfecting them is bad for business.