Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Kibner posted:

what in the hell? lmao
At least it's not Zen1 levels of errata with WONTFIX attached.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09VCJ2SHD

5800X3D down to $290, sold+shipped by Amazon. $280 at Microcenter w/ $20 mobo credit.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
props to that server for never having to be rebooted for almost 3 years

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

multiple servers, since the bug was reproduced

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Is that a clock domain crossing / metastability thing where the MTBF hits around that mark? Kudos to the test lab / plan that caught and/or observed that + root caused.

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!

movax posted:

Is that a clock domain crossing / metastability thing where the MTBF hits around that mark? Kudos to the test lab / plan that caught and/or observed that + root caused.

1044 days times 10e11 is close to 0x7FFF_FFFF_FFFF_FFFF

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

karoshi posted:

1044 days times 10e11 is close to 0x7FFF_FFFF_FFFF_FFFF

Oh goddammit this poo poo again. :cripes:

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Kibner posted:

what in the hell? lmao

CC6 is the deep sleep (power gated) state, so this is likely something along the lines of the core failing to power back up if it's in deep sleep after the time when some continuously incrementing counter in continuously powered uncore support circuitry rolls over.

Some Redditor figured out that the time is roughly 0x380000000000000 ticks of the chip's 2800 MHz TSC, which they interpret as significant thanks to all those zeroes. I'm less sure about this numerology, because 0x38 doesn't tingle my RTL designer spidey senses, but sometimes poo poo is weird and it's someone else's design I have no insight into.

crazypenguin
Mar 9, 2005
nothing witty here, move along

BobHoward posted:

Some Redditor figured out that the time is roughly 0x380000000000000 ticks of the chip's 2800 MHz TSC, which they interpret as significant thanks to all those zeroes. I'm less sure about this numerology, because 0x38 doesn't tingle my RTL designer spidey senses, but sometimes poo poo is weird and it's someone else's design I have no insight into.

A redditor deciding the 1044 days is wrong and it's actually 1042 days and titling their post that way because of bullshit numerology they pulled out of their rear end because it has a pleasing number of zeros is hilarious

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

crazypenguin posted:

A redditor deciding the 1044 days is wrong and it's actually 1042 days and titling their post that way because of bullshit numerology they pulled out of their rear end because it has a pleasing number of zeros is hilarious

Yeah, they are just guessing, after all

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

crazypenguin posted:

Well they're not entirely wrong about counter rollovers occurring close to a value with a ton of zeroes. For example, a 16-bit counter's maximum value is 0xFFFF; increment it by 1 and it rolls over to 0x0000 rather than 0x10000 (since the latter requires 17 bits to represent). The reason I don't fully buy the theory is that 0x37FFF.... is not a very plausible top value for a counter - a top value should be all-ones, but 0x37 hex = 0b110111 binary.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I guess if the top byte wasn’t part of the timer some how but that seems like it’d be weird.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

Cygni posted:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09VCJ2SHD

5800X3D down to $290, sold+shipped by Amazon. $280 at Microcenter w/ $20 mobo credit.
I just bought one and installed it on the weekend. It replaced my 3600(non-X) and games seem to load faster while having a more consistent frame rate. I bought a X570 Aorus Pro WIFI when I built my PC since I was anticipating to do an upgrade and was expecting AMD to support the AM4 socket for another generation. Good decision.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Well I got a 5800X3D installed. A few hiccups since apparently the 750 psu I have is...just dead? Is a 650 enough for 5800X3D, 6800, and a SSD?
I think I need to run to microcenter anyway since the wraith prism cpu cooler doesn't seem like enough for this thing.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

ChiTownEddie posted:

Well I got a 5800X3D installed. A few hiccups since apparently the 750 psu I have is...just dead? Is a 650 enough for 5800X3D, 6800, and a SSD?
I think I need to run to microcenter anyway since the wraith prism cpu cooler doesn't seem like enough for this thing.

Easily yes, if it's a good-quality 650. A 6800XT only pulls ~300 watts max, and the rest of the system under 200.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Just to jump on the bandwagon, I got a 5800X3D as well. figured I would max this build out, put my 5800X into my plex box (very inefficient AV1 decoding ahoy, also hosts game servers) and gave the 2600X to my cousin! That's totally a justified upgrade lol.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Klyith posted:

Easily yes, if it's a good-quality 650. A 6800XT only pulls ~300 watts max, and the rest of the system under 200.

Cool, I could have probably figured that out myself but I was still super annoyed with the 750W haha

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1665701503552684038

it's not super earth-shattering news, given that we haven't even seen a whiff of Ryzen 7000 desktop APUs, but:

* it's nice if later generations of APUs keep getting updates to their graphics core, rather than four generations of Vega

* this is the first "confirmation" that the next generation is still going to be on the AM5 socket. Of course, two gens on a socket is still only about as good as what Intel does/did, but still

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

if they ever released the rumored zen 3+ apus on AM5 it would technically be three generations but they're in seemingly no rush to put those out anytime soon

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I'm pretty certain that they confirmed they'll be at least two generations on AM5 when they first announced it. And that slide actually confirms they plan on releasing products for AM5 at least through 2026.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/AMDGPU_/status/1665754093170614272

link to the full article:

Zen 4c: AMD’s Response to Hyperscale ARM & Intel Atom

quote:

Bergamo, AMD’s upcoming 128-core server part sets new heights in x86 CPU performance. Architected to be cloud native, Bergamo represents an important inflection point in datacenter CPU design as Moore’s Law grinds to a crawl. At the heart of Bergamo is Zen 4c, a brand-new CPU core variant of their successful 5nm Zen 4 microarchitecture that enables the push toward more cores per socket. While official details of Zen 4c have been rather scant so far, AMD’s Chief Technical Officer had this to say at their Ryzen 7000 Keynote:

Mark Papermaster, AMD CTO posted:

Our Zen 4c, it's our compact density that's an addition, it's a new swimlane to our cores roadmap, and it delivers the identical functionality of Zen 4 at about half of the core area.

In this deep dive, we will share out analysis on Zen 4c architecture, market impact, ASP, volumes, order switches from hyperscalers, and how AMD is able to halve core area while keeping the same core functionality and performance. We will examine why AMD is pursuing this new path in CPU design in their response to market demands and the competition from ARM-based chips from Amazon, Google, Microsoft, Alibaba, Ampere Computing, as well as Intel’s x86 Atom E-cores.

some of this is going over my head, but the headline seems to capture the gist: it's a variation on the design of Zen 4 that's "smaller", giving AMD something that will let them compete with ARM server-grade chips, while also competing with Intel's Atom-grade CPUs

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
It's very impressive that AMD could cut the core size practically in half with so few compromises. The challenges the article highlighted were illuminating too, e.g. the package limiting the number of CCDs, 3D cache TSVs taking enough area that it was worth removing them, and having to use lower performance SRAM cells for the sake of density. The last point in particular is interesting since it shows one approach they'll take to components that aren't scaling with node shrinks anymore. They had to cut the L3 in half, leading to the weird situation where there's only twice as much L3 per core as L2. Maybe they should have kept the TSVs and 3D stacked the L3 straight on top of the core :v:

Here's a useful pic for those who don't want to read the whole article:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

They had to cut the L3 in half, leading to the weird situation where there's only twice as much L3 per core as L2. Maybe they should have kept the TSVs and 3D stacked the L3 straight on top of the core :v:

I get the impression that the cloud stuff these sorts of million-core CPUs are going to aren't as big on CPU cache. The Neoverse N1 & 2 ARM chips only have 512KB of L2 per core, half as much as 4c, and similar amounts of L3.

OTOH ARM is also doing a version of the Neoverse with way more cache, but that's supposed to be for AI poo poo.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

Maybe they should have kept the TSVs and 3D stacked the L3 straight on top of the core :v:

The die area available for stacking would be very small and I doubt you'd get more than 4MB of cache per core, which is what's already available on the normal 2D chips. I guess that begs the question of what would be cheaper to produce. Heat density would also probably become a serious problem. Since this is how AMD is doing it, I assume this is the cheaper or less problematic way.

What's more likely is AMD doubling down on heterogeneous designs. Imagine if the 7950X3D had one of these as the 2D chip. One 8-core 3D CCD for cache-heavy tasks and one 16-core 2D CCD for raw compute.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jun 7, 2023

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

Klyith posted:

I get the impression that the cloud stuff these sorts of million-core CPUs are going to aren't as big on CPU cache. The Neoverse N1 & 2 ARM chips only have 512KB of L2 per core, half as much as 4c, and similar amounts of L3.

OTOH ARM is also doing a version of the Neoverse with way more cache, but that's supposed to be for AI poo poo.
Considering that tripling the L3 on the 5800X3D only provided something like a 15% boost to average performance, it's easy to see why they'd dump some cache to make room for more cores. For a lot of workloads, more cache is dead weight. But as you said, huge caches have their place too. If the market bifurcates, devs are going to have to pay attention to what hardware they want to target or they run the risk of their application sitting in the no man's land between the high core count and high core performance CPUs.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The die area available for stacking would be very small and I doubt you'd get more than 4MB of cache per core, which is what's already available on the normal 2D chips. I guess that begs the question of what would be cheaper to produce. Heat density would also probably become a serious problem. Since this is how AMD is doing it, I assume this is the cheaper or less problematic way.
Yeah heat and cost are definitely downsides. The latter may not be that big a deal if you consider there's room for 8 more cores on that CCD pictured above if the L3 is moved on top. That's the sort of density that commands a premium. As for heat, they run lower frequencies on the 4c parts already to keep within the TDP, so they're probably reluctant to give up even more. The solution may come as a spin off of backside power delivery. The final section in this Intel press release suggests that backside signalling should be possible. If the cache can be stacked below the logic, thermals shouldn't be such an issue.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

What's more likely is AMD doubling down on heterogeneous designs. Imagine if the 7950X3D had one of these as the 2D chip. One 8-core 3D CCD for cache-heavy tasks and one 16-core 2D CCD for raw compute.
That would be a much nicer solution than either the current approach or Intel's P and E cores since Zen 4 and 4c use the same ISA. It's not hard to imagine AMD going one step further and ripping off Meteor Lake's design by putting a couple of little cores on the IO die so the CCD chiplets could be powered down in light use scenarios. 26c/52t would be pretty crazy in a non-workstation PC.

The funny thing is that average desktop users are probably still best served by an 8 core CPU. Who knows, maybe AMD return to monolithic CPUs for the low and mid end.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Klyith posted:

AWS has spent more than a decade at this point getting people used to 1 vCPU = 1 hyper-thread on a Sandy Bridge Xeon. With each new CPU generation, they use lower clock parts so that performance per vCPU stays roughly the same even though IPC has been improving.

AMD gave you more performance than that, somewhat accidentally, because they don't have parts that slow. This Zen 4c is a way for AMD to deliver Sandy Bridge level performance, in-line with all of the other AWS vCPUs, much cheaper.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

What's the best way to undervolt my 7900X? CPU load is low in Diablo 4 but the temps do rise above 70C every few minutes causing the fans to ramp up which then cools it down to like 63C before it heats up again.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

What's the best way to undervolt my 7900X? CPU load is low in Diablo 4 but the temps do rise above 70C every few minutes causing the fans to ramp up which then cools it down to like 63C before it heats up again.
Wouldn't it be easier to fix your fan curves?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Josh Lyman posted:

It'd be easier to change your fan curve.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Josh Lyman posted:

Easiest was is a negative offset for core voltage. -15mv is easy and almost always stable, -20 or -25 will probably work but needs testing, -30 is where you start hoping you have a good chip.

Better way is PBO2 curve tuning but that's a can of worms I don't have experience with.

Alternately, just fix your fan curves so you don't have an annoying ramp-up. The zen 4s are happy operating at higher temperatures, so you could set that 70C as a smaller increase from the 60C zone.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Wouldn't it be easier to fix your fan curves?

Kibner posted:

It'd be easier to change your fan curve.
I did try messing fan with the fan curves in my Asus bios but the fundamental issue is that, to avoid the fan spin up, I have to have them running at a higher RPM all the time which I'd like to avoid.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
If you really want to go through with this, you will want to use something like Core Cycler to verify your system isn't loving up unnoticeably. A "safe" undervolt on the 12-core 7900x will likely take 144 hours to validate.

quote:

If, for example, you're after a 12h "prime-stable" setup which is common for regular overclocks, you'd need to run this script for 12x12 = 144 hours on a 5900X with 12 physical cores, because each core is tested individually, and so each core also needs to complete this 12 hour test individually. Respectively, on a 5600X with its 6 physical cores this would be "only" 6x12 = 72 hours.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Josh Lyman posted:

I did try messing fan with the fan curves in my Asus bios but the fundamental issue is that, to avoid the fan spin up, I have to have them running at a higher RPM all the time which I'd like to avoid.

Have your fans max out at an rpm that you are audibly happy with. Odds are, 100% speed isn't going to be that much more effective than 50% speed.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

Josh Lyman posted:

Are these the fans that came with the cooler and/or case? If so, the vast majority of the time they are the cheapest things they can ship. Only a few brands will ship actual good fans with their cases, and a few more with their coolers. Something like Ventoo coolers, the fans are there because they work, not much else. Noctua though, they work and are quiet.

Something with high airflow/static pressure, but low noise is what you would be looking for. While there are a few brands out there that can fit the bill, I'd go with Noctua without a second thought, other than they are "pricey".

In BIOS news. The latest from Gigabyte has AGESA 1.0.0.7 A, and EXPO worked without a hitch. That latest version is to "Addresses Download Assistant Vulnerabilities Reported by Eclypsium Research", aka "we need to cover our asses", but hey, it's giving me working Expo, which I haven't had since BIOS version F2 or 3 I think it was (current is F6B).

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Koskun posted:

Are these the fans that came with the cooler and/or case? If so, the vast majority of the time they are the cheapest things they can ship. Only a few brands will ship actual good fans with their cases, and a few more with their coolers. Something like Ventoo coolers, the fans are there because they work, not much else. Noctua though, they work and are quiet.

Something with high airflow/static pressure, but low noise is what you would be looking for. While there are a few brands out there that can fit the bill, I'd go with Noctua without a second thought, other than they are "pricey".
Yeah I have the stock fans with my Thermalright Peerless Assassin as well as the 2 stock intake on my Fractal North. I thought those fans are supposed to be pretty okay though?

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

Josh Lyman posted:

Yeah I have the stock fans with my Thermalright Peerless Assassin as well as the 2 stock intake on my Fractal North. I thought those fans are supposed to be pretty okay though?

They do what they need to do, which is move air. How well, how quiet, that isn't much of a concern.

As an example. The Noctua NF-S12B (their black version) lists the dBA at 18.1, where Thermaltake's Toughfan 12 Turbo says theirs are 28.1. For reference, normal conversation is about 50 to 60 dBA. Now these noise level measurements can be taken with a bit of a grain of salt. Are they measuring them while on a table top with no restrictions, in a case, on a heatsink/radiator. There's a bunch of different circumstances that will effect noise of a fan.

But Noctua make some of the quietest fans on the market, it's kind of what they are really known for (and their brown on brown color till recently).

Your case is all mesh on the front, back, and side. Not that surprising you can hear the fans spinning up. I switched to an open bench style, and while I do sometimes hear my fans spin (I only have fans on the cpu cooler and GPU now), it's only under serious load, and with my headset on I don't notice it at all from less than 5' away.

I happen to have the same CPU cooler too, but I added a third fan just because.

One additional thing. I would get a fan and add it as an exhaust at the top of your case. Right now with only two fans as intake, all that heat is building up inside the case and only getting out from positive pressure and convection. Adding a single fan to the top will help get that settled heat out, and would probably help maintain/lower the temps in the case a bit.

Virtually everything in a computer makes heat, and modern systems are making a lot of it. 300-400 watts is about 1/10 of a small space heater.

Koskun fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jun 8, 2023

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
The fans on a Peerless Assassin are adequate, noctua or whatever fancy poo poo is a bit better but wouldn't make a huge difference.

If you care about noise you need to tune your fan curves, whether you have meh stock fans or fancy ones. A lot of noise is super specific to the setup, because there will be some PWN x% makes y RPM which generates extra resonance and a more noticeable sound than a tiny x-5% and y-50 RPM change. (Or maybe even +5% and +50!) Get in there and move the fan speed around to find some good spots where air seems to be whooshing rather than whining.

Also the generic fan setups on a DIY mobo are built for stock CPU coolers, so they ramp the CPU fan way up when it gets hot. If you have a good tower cooler you can probably run the fans much lower and have zero change in CPU temperature.

5nm CPUs get hot, they generate heat in such a tiny amount of space that it can't conduct out fast enough.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I wonder, just a little bit, if we might not be better off going back to planar transistors. Increase the area of a chip to make cooling it a little easier, but no, gotta pack as many chiplets into a wafer as possible

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
That would work but everything would be physically bigger, therefore cost more in raw materials, transport, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Josh Lyman posted:

I’m kind of angry that most boards/BIOSes don’t feature ramping (anymore). In the past it was more common to be able to set a time constant to filter fan speed demands and respectively smooth out transients.