Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

I think Reddit should have been organized as a nonprofit and probably could have been a decent (if flawed) resource for at least a few decades that way, sort of like Wikipedia. It already functionally runs on volunteer labor. Anyway that ship sailed ages ago and now it is going to die in the name of value extraction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Wrong thread lol

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Vox Nihili posted:

Happiness is the feeling that Number increases, that humanity is being overcome.

https://twitter.com/ninaturner/status/1666888334738612228

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

All jokes aside, between Silicon Valley trying to monetize away most of the free internet, boiling oceans, lovely air quality, student loans being resumed and average people being priced out of renting or buying houses and groceries, it really is like everything is on fire at once. Capital is going to drag us all down to hell along with it rather than give up even a molecule of its power or wealth.

:yeah:

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

The magical open market is just sorting out where its valuation should fall. So far they've sorted out that it's probably somewhere between $4 per share and $360 per share.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

It might've already been posted itt but Tubi has a supermarket sweep channel if you really wanna get shook on prices and size over time.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

KirbyKhan posted:

I just got laid off today

thank you for your sacrifice to number

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

at least when there was a bullshit king and nobles around neither was powerful enough to cause a mass extinction event as big as the one that killed the dinosaurs, cause the earth to warm so fast that it may destroy all civilization, or turn the air into toxic smog

only liberal capitalism could do that, really makes ya think about libs differently

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Monkey Fracas posted:

It would be v funny if SA somehow outlasted both Twitter and Reddit

Of the social media sites, I think Tumblr has a good chance of being the last of the major names we all remembered standing.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
number!!!!

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ
Is this a doomsday sign, I got notified that questions asked via mychart to my provider will now be billed if it takes the provider more than 5 min to answer lol.

What the gently caress.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

lmao look at that giant ceiling camera dome behind Mike

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

StratGoatCom posted:

Of the social media sites, I think Tumblr has a good chance of being the last of the major names we all remembered standing.

Is myspace still alive or did they take it back out behind the barn

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Shear Modulus posted:

its mostly just a bandcamp knockoff now

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

anime was right posted:

its mostly just a bandcamp knockoff now

Amend that to 'standing in a recognizable form'.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

webcams for christ posted:

lol Cathy is hoovering up every share that all the coinbase execs are liquidating. very strong show of confidence in your business model and forthcoming litigation!

errr is ark designed to be a parachute?

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Vox Nihili posted:

The magical open market is just sorting out where its valuation should fall. So far they've sorted out that it's probably somewhere between $4 per share and $360 per share.

My neighbor across the street just bought his car from Carvana, and I think another neighbor just took delivery of a car from them too today...

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Shear Modulus posted:

it's funny how the whole field of economics is experiencing a paradigm shift after encountering the idea that price increases may be driven by the people who control prices
i remember listening to an npr segment discussing the discrepancy in pay between men and women

it implicitly blamed toxic masculinity as the root cause and the culture of men and never once discussed that it's employers that set and control the pay for women

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

RadiRoot posted:

thank you for your sacrifice to number

It's what it fuckin feels like. No lead up, no murmers, not even any spooky consultants came through. Nobody in my functional knows why, other dude took a resignation and then my key fob stops working.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

jesus gently caress, if you haven’t already, I implore you to get to know your immediate neighbors and cultivate relationships with them if possible asap…community is all we have in this hellworld - mine was struggling with unhitching his trailer, and I went out there to give him a hand…figured out the problem and managed to sort it, then we sat down on his porch to smoke a j and he started having a loving stroke right in front of me…

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

i am harry posted:

jesus gently caress, if you haven’t already, I implore you to get to know your immediate neighbors and cultivate relationships with them if possible asap…community is all we have in this hellworld - mine was struggling with unhitching his trailer, and I went out there to give him a hand…figured out the problem and managed to sort it, then we sat down on his porch to smoke a j and he started having a loving stroke right in front of me…

that’s a little rude, like just whipped it out?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Shear Modulus posted:

The fact that the adolescent cringe of much of the millennial generation went away with the death of Myspace, is perhaps the greatest kindness that has and ever will be done for us.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

SourKraut posted:

My neighbor across the street just bought his car from Carvana, and I think another neighbor just took delivery of a car from them too today...

Carvana sells cars at a loss in order to corner the market the same way Uber has been operating on a loss since inception.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.
I wonder to what extent avoidance of ATM fees economically incentivizes people to waste gasoline.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Vox Nihili posted:

number so ascendant valuations can only be made on cosmological levels of precision

Griz
May 21, 2001

i saw a carvana truck hauling some generic sedan today but somehow i don't think trading my rusty but otherwise ok 2011 subaru for whatever the gently caress they have now would be a good idea

e: they offer $3k, really not worth it

Griz has issued a correction as of 00:18 on Jun 9, 2023

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Carvana sells cars at a loss in order to corner the market the same way Uber has been operating on a loss since inception.
this is actually wrong. Carvana sells used cars at a huge markup but they put it on an app with a vending machine for antisocial nerds to way overspend on a used car because its a one-click-app-buy-it-now experience. turns out you can massively jack up prices if it's on an app.

conversely they also overpaid big time for used cars, sight unseen. just like dropping $16k for a 2004 lovely used tacoma or something with a broken transmission writ large. tons of people made bank selling them their 00s shitbox that barely runs and carvana just cuts them five-figure checks without blinking.

Xaris has issued a correction as of 00:18 on Jun 9, 2023

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

AvesPKS posted:

I wonder to what extent avoidance of ATM fees economically incentivizes people to waste gasoline.
credit unions universally refund ATM fees, so credit unions stay winning :twisted:

also probably not much

UKJeff
May 17, 2023

by vyelkin

i am harry posted:

https://www.acc.org/about-acc/press-releases/2017/03/09/14/05/marijuana-use-associated-with-increased-risk-of-stroke-heart-failure

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

:blessed:

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

lol are you a Lyin Leon puppet account?

“that article” posted:

Because the study was based on hospital discharge records, the findings may not be reflective of the general population. The study was also limited by the researchers’ inability to account for quantity or frequency of marijuana use, purpose of use (recreational or medical), or delivery mechanism (smoking or ingestion).

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
It’s a safe bet to assume any anti-marijuana article is full of poo poo and the exact opposite is true.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

i am harry posted:

There's 2 very different ways to read this and I read it the wrong way initially and was like "drat I know weed makes some people horny but thats a bit extreme"

UKJeff
May 17, 2023

by vyelkin

FlapYoJacks posted:

It’s a safe bet to assume any anti-marijuana article is full of poo poo and the exact opposite is true.

It’s also a safe bet to assume that inhaling burnt plant matter is bad for your lungs and circulatory system

Denial is a classic defense mechanism seen in addicts, consider seeking help for your drug habit

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

UKJeff posted:

It’s also a safe bet to assume that inhaling burnt plant matter is bad for your lungs and circulatory system

Denial is a classic defense mechanism seen in addicts, consider seeking help for your drug habit

Lol gently caress off square. I eat the plant.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
just say no to drugs.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

RadiRoot posted:

just say no to drugs.

gently caress you Nancy Reagan!!!!

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

the amount of carcinogens you inhale smoking weed is probably less harmful to you than the amount of booze you'd need to drink to get equally hosed up. less fattening too.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Xaris posted:

this is actually wrong. Carvana sells used cars at a huge markup but they put it on an app with a vending machine for antisocial nerds to way overspend on a used car because its a one-click-app-buy-it-now experience. turns out you can massively jack up prices if it's on an app.

conversely they also overpaid big time for used cars, sight unseen. just like dropping $16k for a 2004 lovely used tacoma or something with a broken transmission writ large. tons of people made bank selling them their 00s shitbox that barely runs and carvana just cuts them five-figure checks without blinking.

it's impossible to figure out why used car prices skyrocketed in such an environment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

That's ok, I inject marijuana directly into my brain stem.