Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Mercury_Storm posted:

They did replace Andrew on the "Cleanup on Aisle 45" podcast though, which may be more relevant to this thread anyways:

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/cleanup-on-aisle-45-with-ag-pete-strzok/id1549502623

That's true. Replaced with Peter Strzok, no less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

kiimo posted:

https://twitter.com/robgeorge/status/1666605011286085634?s=42&t=vYGMjgtg31X780Jer9MHvA

the comedians who imitate trump are so good that I sometimes forget that's exactly how he writes and talks

Yeah the guy on SNL is so accurate it basically stops being funny(insert joke about SNL never being funny in the first place)

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

WaPo article on why there's a GJ in Florida:

Past cases persuaded Justice Dept. officials to shift Trump case south

quote:

For many months, Justice Department prosecutors questioned witnesses before a federal grand jury in Washington, D.C., about former president Donald Trump’s handling of classified documents after leaving the White House.
The secret proceedings yielded evidence of potential mishandling as well as obstruction of justice, people familiar with the investigation have said, making the federal courthouse in the nation’s capital the focal point of a waiting game: Would Trump be the first former president indicted by the Justice Department?
In early May, the parade of witnesses to that grand jury appeared to stop. It turns out, however, that witnesses were still being called — to a federal courthouse a thousand miles south, in Miami. That courthouse is much closer to Mar-a-Lago, Trump’s Florida home and private club, where most of the alleged conduct under scrutiny took place.

People familiar with the matter said Wednesday that special counsel Jack Smith and his team are preparing to bring the bulk of any charges in the case in South Florida rather than Washington. They spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss an ongoing criminal investigation.

The switch comes amid clear signs that the investigation is nearly completed and that Trump could face criminal charges. Former prosecutors said it reflects an effort by the Justice Department to prevent Trump’s lawyers from challenging an indictment by saying it had been filed in the wrong place — a legal line of attack that could delay or even derail a trial.

Brandon L. Van Grack, a former federal prosecutor who now chairs the national security and crisis management practices at Morrison Foerster, said there would be substantial legal risks to bringing Trump documents case charges in D.C., since most of the conduct being examined happened in South Florida.
A decision to switch grand juries “would indicate they thought [the challenges in D.C.] were insurmountable,” Van Grack said.

That legal analysis does not bar Smith from bringing some Mar-a-Lago-related charges in the nation’s capital, particularly if officials decide one or more witnesses lied to a federal grand jury here.

The decision on where to potentially file charges against the former president has significant ramifications. Any courthouse where such a trial would be held would immediately become the focus of intense public interest and security concerns. Legal experts said moving a potential prosecution to Florida could avoid a time-consuming legal fight over the venue.

In terms of the pool of potential jurors, the move could be beneficial to Trump, who is again running for president, seeking the Republican nomination in 2024. Conservatives and defense lawyers have argued that the spate of trials stemming from the Jan. 6, 2021, Capitol riot have shown that District residents tend to take a harsh view of Trump and his supporters, and he might find a more sympathetic jury in Florida. Trump won 5 percent of the vote in D.C. in the 2020 election, compared with about 45 percent in Miami-Dade and Palm Beach counties.
The former president’s aides have been increasingly vocal in predicting that he soon will be indicted in the documents investigation — just months after he was charged with falsifying business records in an unrelated case in New York.
A former Trump spokesman testified to the Miami grand jury Wednesday, and on Thursday a senior prosecutor on Smith’s team was seen at the Miami courthouse. On Monday, Trump’s lawyers met with the special counsel and a senior Justice Department career attorney to argue that their client should not be charged. Such meetings typically come at the end of an investigation, when prosecutors are mulling whether to seek an indictment.

The meeting followed a letter formally notifying Trump that he was a target of the investigation, according to people familiar with the matter, who also spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss private communications. A target letter from prosecutors does not mean the recipient definitely will be charged, only that he or she might be. Such letters often invite the target to appear before a grand jury.

In Trump’s case, it was clear he has been under investigation since at least Aug. 8 of last year, when FBI agents with a court order searched Mar-a-Lago and found 103 classified documents, even after his lawyers claimed to have conducted a diligent search two months earlier and turned over everything they could find.

Former prosecutors said the timing of the move from Washington to Florida was somewhat surprising, given how much of the investigation has been conducted in D.C., but there could be nonpublic facts that tilt the venue scales southward.
“You don’t know all of the facts that would determine venue until you’re further advanced in an investigation,” said Van Grack, the former federal prosecutor. “As far as why now, it’s a sign they have largely completed their investigation, and they’re able to make determinations like venue in a way they weren’t able to eight or 10 months ago.”

The Constitution and a host of U.S. court rulings have long held that trials should be held, when possible, near the scene of the alleged crime.

A major guidepost for Washington cases is a 1971 appellate court decision involving a rape and subsequent shooting. In that case, a man named John Swann was accused of raping a woman in Washington. After the charges were filed, he went to her workplace in Maryland and shot her. Initially, Swann was charged in D.C. for the shooting, on the basis that he was trying to attack a witness in his rape case. But higher courts later held that he had to be charged with the shooting in Maryland, even if the crime was done to target a witness in his case in the nation’s capital.

The Justice Department’s website notes that where the criminal offense “is of a continuing nature, venue is proper in any district where the acts constituting the offense were begun, continued or completed,” which allows some leeway for prosecutors.

But the potential consequences for picking the wrong venue can be severe — the entire case can be thrown out if a judge decides it was filed in the wrong place.

TL;DR: Charging and trying Trump in Washington presented a lot of potential avenues for Trump to block, delay, or quash the charges. Charging him in south Florida avoided all of that.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I can't read it without hearing J L Cauvin's impression

https://twitter.com/JLCauvin/status/1666210643605610502

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Regarding the MSW network podcasts, isn’t AG a little controversial at the moment too? She had to apologize for homophobic comments from 2009 today and another friend pointed out some long Twitter fees by a RWNJ that seems to show she lied about service.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Deteriorata posted:

WaPo article on why there's a GJ in Florida:

Past cases persuaded Justice Dept. officials to shift Trump case south

TL;DR: Charging and trying Trump in Washington presented a lot of potential avenues for Trump to block, delay, or quash the charges. Charging him in south Florida avoided all of that.
"Avoided" is rather past tense. "Was done to avoid all that", which means we'll see 18 months of pointless paperwork instead of 36.

What really bothers me about this article is... "So you've given up on that whole treason by insurrection thing?"

(Oh whell, day was acceptable enough, I don't need indictments today to keep me happy.)

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Jaxyon posted:

Yeah the guy on SNL is so accurate it basically stops being funny(insert joke about SNL never being funny in the first place)

James Austin Johnson and he does a young Trump and old Trump impression to really drive how different his voice is.

Here is on Seth Myers explaining the difference.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Kavros posted:

They ... have no mouth and they must scream

They scream into the Khala but only Amon listens.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Boris Galerkin posted:

What’s a good podcast to keep up with all this news nowadays? I used to listen to opening arguments but stopped because of the host being a sexpest

There's a good podcast called "Jack" (as in Jack Smith) on Spotify hosted by Andy McCabe and I can't remember the woman lawyers name but she's a good host too. They don't have new episodes every day but they are pretty frequent and quite good.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Charliegrs posted:

There's a good podcast called "Jack" (as in Jack Smith) on Spotify hosted by Andy McCabe and I can't remember the woman lawyers name but she's a good host too. They don't have new episodes every day but they are pretty frequent and quite good.

Alison Gill. She also does cleanup on aisle 45, the daily beans, and her network hosted the OA podcast until Torres was revealed as a sexpest

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
https://truthsocial.com/@realDonaldTrump

Weeeeeeeeehaw

e: Wait, why is in not in all caps?
He didnt write this.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
ABC just cut into regular coverage with a special report

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I think you could just delete the link to his rear end social network. Don’t wanna give them any accidental clicks.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Boris Galerkin posted:

I think you could just delete the link to his rear end social network. Don’t wanna give them any accidental clicks.

Yeah but so many fake Trump screenshots out there better to link than not.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

CapnAndy posted:

ABC just cut into regular coverage with a special report

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EbqmS3vUz4

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
Wrong thread, sorry!

crime fighting hog fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jun 9, 2023

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
E: quote is not edit!

crime fighting hog fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jun 9, 2023

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Charliegrs posted:

Pillowpants posted:

Alison Gill. She also does cleanup on aisle 45, the daily beans, and her network hosted the OA podcast until Torres was revealed as a sexpest

Also is notably not a lawyer

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Fuschia tude posted:

No, the sexpest is still hosting OA to this very day. The other guy was the one who got ousted because the sexpest decided to execute a hostile takeover of his partnership.

still bummed about this, but well, the man decided to couple an apology that could very well have worked in a vacuum - people with alcohol problems do dumb poo poo, seeking treatment and apologizing to everyone he hurt was a great first step - with stealing Thomas' half of the podcast and then being real lovely about it all, so I have very little benefit of the doubt left in me for Andrew Torres

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
7 counts?

Do we know what they are?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Charlz Guybon posted:

7 counts?

Do we know what they are?
The guy who was popping off on twitter yesterday about trump being indicted today said espionage and obstruction. But no, we don't know.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

They did it

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Six counts of fuckin' around and one of finding out

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

What do you think the chances are of Trump dragging these out so he can win another term and pardon himself?

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Nitrousoxide posted:

What do you think the chances are of Trump dragging these out so he can win another term and pardon himself?

Guy on Fox saying Trump may run on the platform of pardoning himself.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005
I knew calling him Drumpf would pay off eventually!

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Zotix posted:

I thought that was DeSantis's platform

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
O wow.

This is actually happening.

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/mar-a-lago-documents-probe-latest/index.html

Arraignment on Tuesday.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Did he post the location, date, and time of arraignment so his supporters can plan to be there to stir poo poo up?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

gregday posted:

Did he post the location, date, and time of arraignment so his supporters can plan to be there to stir poo poo up?

What do you think?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Zotix posted:

Jesus that’s a dystopian idea.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

BIDEN'S CORVETTE

is the new BUT HER EMAILS

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Zotix posted:

That's like the one strategy designed to whip up turnout from the Democratic base, no matter their feelings about Biden.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

It would basically just be a referendum on fascism except through the electoral college.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
From Haberman at NYT, per two sources, the counts include conspiracy to obstruct and willful retention of documents.

edit: third charge is false statements, according to "sources familiar with the indictment".

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Xiahou Dun posted:

Jesus that’s a dystopian idea.

On the other hand, if he's that desperate and still loses the primary, I could see him saying "gently caress it, I'm still running" because he'd have nothing to lose. Then you'd get a Biden blowout in 2024.

Wayback
Aug 16, 2004

I'm made of metal
My circuits gleam
I am perpetual
I keep the country clean
Would Espionage be its own charge or would they be under that as an umbrella?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Nitrousoxide posted:

On the other hand, if he's that desperate and still loses the primary, I could see him saying "gently caress it, I'm still running" because he'd have nothing to lose. Then you'd get a Biden blowout in 2024.

The longer I’m thinking about this the more darkly plausible it sounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Xiahou Dun posted:

It would basically just be a referendum on fascism except through the electoral college.

Isn't that basically what every election in our lifetime has been