Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
Mocks seem to like Kobe Bufkin to Lakers. I guess you have him and Christie battle it out to be guy next to Reaves in the years to come. Though I guess the Lakers would love to include the pick in DLo sign and trade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
https://twitter.com/draftexpress/status/1666067346438467586?s=46&t=3d9JmXOJWgE8nozHLwUyjQ

No. 2 Best Fit: Brandon Miller
No. 2 Best Prospect: Brandon Miller

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

If the bulls don't even buy some lovely second round pick that i never hear from again after summer league I will lose my fuckin mind

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Excited for the Mavs to attempt to trade the 10th pick + garbage for LeBron, get laughed out of the room, then draft Grady Dick

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

NickRoweFillea posted:

Kobe Brown might be a target for the Grizzlies. Any chance he’ll drop into the second round, or are they gonna have to use their 25th pick on him? Assuming it isn’t traded, of course.

I can’t say for sure since this is the draft of guys with big flaws but high ceilings, and also I don’t have any Missouri games so a lot of this is me basing this off if clips other people put together, which I hate to do.

But I think it’s at least possible he drops out of the first. His defense and shot look to be things that an NBA team are going to have to do a lot of development on; in a year with the teams that like to develop having crowded rosters and fears of the apron maybe making some teams want to draft stashes in the first round this is the normal formula for an older player like this dropping .

But! he is an athlete and bucket getter and was an engine of a team, so I could also see a front office falling in love with him and picking him just post-lottery.

This is kind of a mysterious draft.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Calidus posted:

Mocks seem to like Kobe Bufkin to Lakers. I guess you have him and Christie battle it out to be guy next to Reaves in the years to come. Though I guess the Lakers would love to include the pick in DLo sign and trade.

I would much rather try to take a wing/big than another guard. We desperately need a backup big other than Rui and I think spot minutes from Derek Lively or Leonard Miller would be fine next year.

Who are there any athletic 3&D wings likely to be around in the mid first round? That's another place where we could use more depth

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jun 6, 2023

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Calidus posted:

As cliched as this is, Bufkin is a super solid winning player. He's basically Derrick White.

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Is Scoot going to be any good as a rookie?

Normally guys like him put up good counting stats as rookies (Ja, D-Rose, Westbrook), but Scoot's 13.5 PER and 53.7% TS in the G-League is making me think he might take some time to develop

Yeah. This sounds like a huge red flag but aside from the Wemby games and a few others, he was basically on chill mode this year because he was going 2/3. Like an NFL prospect defensive lineman taking it easy because he knows his draft status is a lock.

He played professionally for 2 years already, against adult men. He's not going to have as much as an adjustment as most players.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

https://twitter.com/ShadyMikeGaming/status/1666112534640832513

not sure what Ben Simmons has in common with Josh Smith but it was fun watching this hype video of prospect Simmons. drat he looked good... wonder if any of this year's non-Wemby prospects can compete with this

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Ben Simmons is like almost the opposite player as Josh Smith, wth?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Lockback posted:

Ben Simmons is like almost the opposite player as Josh Smith, wth?

Athletic 4s who are good at defense but that’s about it

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Fast Luck posted:

https://twitter.com/ShadyMikeGaming/status/1666112534640832513

not sure what Ben Simmons has in common with Josh Smith but it was fun watching this hype video of prospect Simmons. drat he looked good... wonder if any of this year's non-Wemby prospects can compete with this

They both played defense good?

Offensively they're basically opposites, Josh Smith was in love with threes when all he should have ever taken were shots within 10 feet and Simmons was afraid of anything beyond 10 feet

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
Simmons' defense in college was all-time "I don't give a poo poo" bad. The tools where there but it was all hypothetical.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Rick posted:

I can’t say for sure since this is the draft of guys with big flaws but high ceilings, and also I don’t have any Missouri games so a lot of this is me basing this off if clips other people put together, which I hate to do.

But I think it’s at least possible he drops out of the first. His defense and shot look to be things that an NBA team are going to have to do a lot of development on; in a year with the teams that like to develop having crowded rosters and fears of the apron maybe making some teams want to draft stashes in the first round this is the normal formula for an older player like this dropping .

But! he is an athlete and bucket getter and was an engine of a team, so I could also see a front office falling in love with him and picking him just post-lottery.

This is kind of a mysterious draft.

From a Missouri watcher on Kobe Brown who doesn't really know how to grade prospects--read that as I have no idea at all... Good things, man he figured out an outside shot out of nowhere. This did not exist his first three years and suddenly he's shooting 45% from three? In a decent little sample size. Picks his spots to shoot, he's not out there bombing away, but he figured out how to get it done when he does somehow (it looks like).

Like you've noted he always had a little offensive game that got a few points somehow or other, even on the crappiest offenses ever. He's always been willing to pass and is pretty good at it. He's got decent enough size for a wing and he's wide-ish--or wide enough, but nothing special in that area. He...tries on defense? The will to is there and it works sometimes. Bad things: yeah what makes him special he's just not special enough at, and he's a 4 year senior.

If I'm being brutally honest even though I want him to succeed for homer reasons he seems like a guy who is going to have a nice career in Europe or wherever if he wants to.

But he's worth a look at if you're interested, someone will probably take him eventually I'm sure.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Grittybeard posted:

From a Missouri watcher on Kobe Brown who doesn't really know how to grade prospects--read that as I have no idea at all... Good things, man he figured out an outside shot out of nowhere. This did not exist his first three years and suddenly he's shooting 45% from three? In a decent little sample size. Picks his spots to shoot, he's not out there bombing away, but he figured out how to get it done when he does somehow (it looks like).

Like you've noted he always had a little offensive game that got a few points somehow or other, even on the crappiest offenses ever. He's always been willing to pass and is pretty good at it. He's got decent enough size for a wing and he's wide-ish--or wide enough, but nothing special in that area. He...tries on defense? The will to is there and it works sometimes. Bad things: yeah what makes him special he's just not special enough at, and he's a 4 year senior.

If I'm being brutally honest even though I want him to succeed for homer reasons he seems like a guy who is going to have a nice career in Europe or wherever if he wants to.

But he's worth a look at if you're interested, someone will probably take him eventually I'm sure.

This is a good post.

other college bball watcherss, do not worry about someone bitching you about posting about your local prospect. It's good to have eye witness testimony via watching lots o games.

PLlaceholder placeholder keyontae george thoughts below

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
As another Mizzou fan I definitely thought Kobe was doomed to be the bad kind of tweener until he developed a perimeter game out of nowhere his senior year. Now I could see him becoming like...very poor man's Julius Randle but who embraces his role? Which would probably functionally mostly end up being 3pt shooting if he could keep that up, but also hey maybe every once in a while he exploits a mismatch in the post or creates a bailout shot or is a secondary option for a bench unit

I feel like offensively it's not that hard to imagine him carving out a useful spot in the NBA, especially because he's also a solid passer, but I dunno if his defense holds up on the wing

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Good posts like Dejan said and I thank you and y'all got me intrigued for sure and it makes sense why some people are mocking him at the end of the lottery. I'll keep a look out for Missouri games when I'm next in the content mines.

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down
Jarace Walker could very well be the softest thicc boy around, but at that range, I suppose you can't ask for a lot.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

I want to see some NBA team to get both the Thompson twins. It would be extremely risky but I’d have mad respect for the GM.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

what about if the Kings get both the Murray twins??

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

WhyteRyce posted:

what about if the Kings get both the Murray twins??

If the Kings don’t trade up to get the other Murray you gotta fire the mayor and put the capital in Modesto. I don’t make the rules.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

The Hornets' only beat reporter is pouring a little cold water on Miller over Scoot, which is something. He just recently replaced the only reporter that had ever covered the team for the local paper so I don't know how plugged in he is, but it has the whiff of a sourced nod

quote:

There are other factors that still must be considered in the Hornets’ roster construction when it comes to the wing position. If Miles Bridges returns as The Observer has been reporting, as well as impending restricted free agent PJ Washington, how does Bridges slot into the rotation? Bridges probably wouldn’t see a whole lot of time at power forward, so where would that leave Miller? And don’t forget Gordon Hayward is owed $31.5 million in the final year of his contract in 2023-24. So, he’s playing unless the Hornets somehow move him this offseason or prior to the deadline in February. Mix it together, add it all up and we’re going with Henderson as the choice. For now, anyway.

morestuff fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jun 8, 2023

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

I think Scoot fits really well next to LaMelo. I'm surprised LaMelo is only at around 30% USG rate in that offense. Length + handles would make things a lot easier for that team regardless of how the wing rotation squares out

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
It does seem the people most familiar with the Hornets roster agree that the fit argument for Miller over Scoot is kind of bunk.

Idk it’s not even close to me so I don’t get the narrative in the first place.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

promise???

https://twitter.com/DaltonJ_Johnson/status/1665757741552467968?s=20

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I actually totally buy the Miller > Scoot buzz, mostly because it feels like something they'd do. But there is some context — Charlotte is totally barren at the wing behind the expiring Gordon Hayward and putting an A+ shooter that can defend multiple positions next to Ball is close to a brainier if you think they're in the same universe as prospects. Also kind of paradoxically I can see Rozier scaring them off the idea of pairing LaMelo with an undersized combo guard / them feeling committed to Rozier

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Mojave King sounds like a hard lemonade

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Mojave King has what in baseball you'd call an 80 name tool

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Mojave King sounds like a hard lemonade

Shear Modulus posted:

Mojave King has what in baseball you'd call an 80 name tool

I was thinking NPC in Fallout: New Vegas, but these work too.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Mojave King is what I would name a Fu Manchu/Kyuss style stoner rock band.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

God I had the worst thought this morning: what if it turns out Wenyamba's such a lanky freak because he has Marfan's Syndrome

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

It's insane to me that 2 drafts in a row just have a ready made draft center. Walker Kessler last year and Lively this year. I think teams have seen it up close and believe it.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Found this video on the Spurs subreddit. A trainer breaks down Wemby's weird pregame foot exercises. Makes me somewhat hopeful that he won't succumb to Yao Ming Disease.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjMw627Jm70

The way this guy talks about shoes crushing up your toes, leading to worse ability to grip the floor and more force going onto your ankles and knees makes it sound like everyone should be playing barefoot

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jun 9, 2023

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Dejan Bimble posted:

It's insane to me that 2 drafts in a row just have a ready made draft center. Walker Kessler last year and Lively this year. I think teams have seen it up close and believe it.

I think it was you who said this somewhere but I think someone said his athleticism is among the best of the draft.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Shear Modulus posted:

The way this guy talks about shoes crushing up your toes, leading to worse ability to grip the floor and more force going onto your ankles and knees makes it sound like everyone should be playing barefoot

Filipinos playing ball in flip-flops was the solution all along

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Shear Modulus posted:

Found this video on the Spurs subreddit. A trainer breaks down Wemby's weird pregame foot exercises. Makes me somewhat hopeful that he won't succumb to Yao Ming Disease.

https://youtu.be/IjMw627Jm70

Unless you have like problematic arches or something, it is generally best to be barefoot. Just go balling in a pair of these:

Chronicles
Oct 24, 2013

Signature Shoe Wemby 1s

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Eww, no. gently caress those toe shoes.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Apparently GG Jackson left a workout early to go vape???

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

WhyteRyce posted:

Apparently GG Jackson left a workout early to go vape???

Already doesn't give a poo poo. Perfect Dallas Maverick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Cuban seems like he'd be really really into vaping