Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

i swear that at one point i saw a crowdfunding for a countertop device that makes prison hooch for you, anyone know what i'm thinking of?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Len posted:

i swear that at one point i saw a crowdfunding for a countertop device that makes prison hooch for you, anyone know what i'm thinking of?

BeerMkr, the automated homebrew widget?
( It was originally a kickstarter product. )

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Sounds more like Alchema to me. Currently listed as unavailable on Amazon, and the link on their campaign goes to a dead website.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

El Fideo posted:

Sounds more like Alchema to me. Currently listed as unavailable on Amazon, and the link on their campaign goes to a dead website.

It was this one

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
How do I resist the urge to stand up and try to crouch like the teacher from the zombie u gif

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Do it and post video.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
I'm not sure if I consider this awful or just strange, but the thought running through my head over and over is just "who is this even FOR?" It feels really stilted and awkward regardless of the skill put in. Some shots look... "accurate" to what they're doing, but the rest is messy or just deviantart tier misunderstanding of the style they're going for.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/infinityark/constancy-roa-ova
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1P5vLDYDJQ

Me and my friends have been trying to figure it out since I discovered it yesterday, and the only way we can describe it is "knockoff brand Gowkaiser", which is the weirdest possible thing to try and make.

Diabetes Forecast has a new favorite as of 15:45 on Jun 6, 2023

Pasketti
Nov 8, 2017

lick lick lick
Man they got the shading, coloring, linework, etc down for the era they're trying to capture. It looks pretty great when it's not moving but god that animation is some of the worst I've seen. The dude's lip movements seem AI generated or something.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Diabetes Forecast posted:

I'm not sure if I consider this awful or just strange, but the thought running through my head over and over is just "who is this even FOR?" It feels really stilted and awkward regardless of the skill put in. Some shots look... "accurate" to what they're doing, but the rest is messy or just deviantart tier misunderstanding of the style they're going for.

Me and my friends have been trying to figure it out since I discovered it yesterday, and the only way we can describe it is "knockoff brand Gowkaiser", which is the weirdest possible thing to try and make.

$50,000 can in no way fund an animation project of this size. They didn't get a bunch of complete nobodies for VA work either. The stretch goals are really weird and dumb too. Recording the dialogue in a studio is a stretch goal, which kind of defeats the point of hiring all of these professional VAs (Granted with covid they might have a good home set-up). They are only hiring a background designer as a stretch goal.

Also, lol that one of the clips they include is a shower scene.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

$50,000 can in no way fund an animation project of this size.

Pasketti posted:

The dude's lip movements seem AI generated or something.

I'm betting they're planning to lean on AI tool quite a bit.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
I think the thing that always gets me about any animation that's "80s-90s anime inspired" is they only ever look at it in this extremely superficial way and don't seem to look at the subtler aspects of how the animation works. They assume every frame needs to be the 5-tone shading and needs lots of detail, but never once learn the very, VERY important aspect that you sacrifice detail when the shots are moving fast, or build designs around flow curves so they can be drawn quickly. It doesn't help that it's basically JUST keyframes due to this, and just doesn't read well at all. The shot of the one girl teleporting is BAFFLING, because there is no reason to hold on that for SOOOO LOOONG when it adds absolutely nothing, then they just don't do extra frames for basically anything else.

If you're gonna do a project inspired by these things, for the love of god, actually study them, and also don't try to just directly copy the style. You're just not gonna do that exact thing, find a middle ground.

ultrafilter posted:

I'm betting they're planning to lean on AI tool quite a bit.

This is kinda already a thing with modern animation software where you can do auto-tweening (You can see it in some Invincible episodes, actually!), but I think this guy just doesn't know how to do that or thinks it's cheating.

Diabetes Forecast has a new favorite as of 16:28 on Jun 6, 2023

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

The artwork looks like dogshit - everything looks like it's coated in oil. The plot sounds like every single 90s anime plot ever. And does the pitch video really need to show the close-up of vagina lips at ~2:20?

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Sweevo posted:

The artwork looks like dogshit - everything looks like it's coated in oil.

Another thing about the 'pay attention to why a style does things' that annoys me here:
Basically, the point of this is fake inderect lighting. Alot of anime (and Obari, the guy they're aping so hard) use the trick of adding shine highlights or dark point separations to make it look like there's extra ambient light in a scene. It helps skin not feel flat and helps with differentiating materials. I use it ALOT in illustrations and pixel art because it's pretty easy to do. BUT, you need to be careful about how it's used and WHEN to use it, as it's a time-hog if you have to place it everywhere for dozens of frames. Welcome to why the "goofy black lines on cheeks" thing is in alot of 90s stuff, because it's a cheaper alternative and is just ink.
An example from my own promo art for a thing I'm making:

You can kinda do it in two separate ways, really. use a highlight separator or a dark separator, I tend towards dark separator because I just think it looks better and is easier to work with for say, chrome and metals.

This person/team doesn't understand that, so everything is shiny all the time in any light setting. Which is probably eating up all their time budget lmao.

Diabetes Forecast has a new favorite as of 18:04 on Jun 6, 2023

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Sweevo posted:

The artwork looks like dogshit - everything looks like it's coated in oil. The plot sounds like every single 90s anime plot ever. And does the pitch video really need to show the close-up of vagina lips at ~2:20?

I like that she kicks a police cruiser off the side of the Brooklyn Bridge immediately following the incredibly gratuitous crotch-shot.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

"who is this even FOR?"

Only thing I can think of is nostalgia for people who have fond memories of tuning into late night TV in the 90s and catching weird anime.

edit: I mean I can kind of get that but the actual animation here is dogshit and the voice acting is even worse than 90s stuff. Also full of tropes I don't miss

BattleMaster has a new favorite as of 20:05 on Jun 6, 2023

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Sweevo posted:

And does the pitch video really need to show the close-up of vagina lips at ~2:20?
I think you know the answer to that.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Sweevo posted:

if they want to ape Obari, yes, they did really need to show that.

cardinale
Jul 11, 2016

The guy sounds like Prozd doing the Lysanderoth voice

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

cardinale posted:

The guy sounds like Prozd doing the Lysanderoth voice

We have machinations at home.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Edgiest, ugliest slide show ever

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

weird followup to Galo Sengen

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
never thought I'd see western anime with worst animation than rwby but hey,

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The art reminds me of that webcomic about the girl with bee powers.

Is it a rule that when weebs make anime they must also give it the most Engrish title they can?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

The MSJ posted:

The art reminds me of that webcomic about the girl with bee powers.

Is it a rule that when weebs make anime they must also give it the most Engrish title they can?

Not just weebs, Big Hero 6 and Super Robot Monkey Hyperforce Go! or whatever it was called come to mind.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Like you can see the style it's emulating, and in the still shots it looks 'good' for that style (It def needs a filter over it to make it look like it's traditionally animated)

But also... noone is asking for 90s booba OVA at 2 frames a second

Even this rando music vid nails that cassette futurism style better than they are.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2n_Ae9DGC0U

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Not just weebs, Big Hero 6 and Super Robot Monkey Hyperforce Go! or whatever it was called come to mind.

Both of those were originally made by weebs or to appeal to weebs though.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Tired of the tedious grind of playing Dungeons and Dragons with your friends in order to level up your character? Well then this is the service for you https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCCRTq8yygs

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Tired of the tedious grind of playing Dungeons and Dragons with your friends in order to level up your character? Well then this is the service for you https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCCRTq8yygs

I can’t tell if this idea is genius or doomed. It’s terrible either way but

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

IShallRiseAgain posted:

100% they want to do this with Chat GPT, lmao. Just like that lovely AI-generated voice they 'hired' for the announcement.

\/\/\/ You might be right. But it's the only video on the channel, so who knows.

Paladinus has a new favorite as of 15:40 on Jun 9, 2023

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I think it's a joke

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I think it's a gag too, but I'm tickled by the idea of doing it as presented rather than someone spending 15 minutes running through the stats and filling in a handful of key items and stuff. "Look, I know you hired us last year to get Lord Fartington up to level 12 but man, everyone's schedule has been crazy lately, we haven't even had a game this month"

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Infinitum posted:

Like you can see the style it's emulating, and in the still shots it looks 'good' for that style (It def needs a filter over it to make it look like it's traditionally animated)

Even this rando music vid nails that cassette futurism style better than they are.

Now that's some quality closed captioning.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Captain Hygiene posted:

I think it's a gag too, but I'm tickled by the idea of doing it as presented rather than someone spending 15 minutes running through the stats and filling in a handful of key items and stuff. "Look, I know you hired us last year to get Lord Fartington up to level 12 but man, everyone's schedule has been crazy lately, we haven't even had a game this month"

They'd hire some Vietnamese for cheap to do the playing, and the customer is left wondering why their character has gained levels in guerrilla warfare and become a Đạo Mẫu follower.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Infinitum posted:

dang this is cool

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 30 hours!

IShallRiseAgain posted:

So, the business is to pretend they played D&D with other people's characters? Pretty sure I'd rather just give myself levels/items and save money/time.
Although, I am quite an idiot so this likely would get massively funded.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
I could see if taking off if they included a video of an actual play session with your character. Please sirs, get Lord Buttboner to level 69. He speaks only in fart related puns and put all his combat related feats into soup ladle fighting.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Pretty sure it's a joke, they posted a second video to that YouTube channel

https://youtu.be/ZrCHOB4b-hk

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

ponzicar posted:

I could see if taking off if they included a video of an actual play session with your character. Please sirs, get Lord Buttboner to level 69. He speaks only in fart related puns and put all his combat related feats into soup ladle fighting.

Skip the leveling up part, and dumb user-submitted characters of the week might be fun for a stream/podcast. But you'd pretty much have to be a group with pretty well established comedy skills and a sizable fanbase for it to have much hope of taking off.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

While this is a joke you could make this work I reckon for the various organised play things where you have to get a character through recognised adventures run by an approved GM etc etc.

Less so now, but absolutely back in the 3.5 organised play day for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 30 hours!

Captain Hygiene posted:

Skip the leveling up part, and dumb user-submitted characters of the week might be fun for a stream/podcast. But you'd pretty much have to be a group with pretty well established comedy skills and a sizable fanbase for it to have much hope of taking off.

Yea, with a following(and comedy), I could see it being a successful Patreon bit.